PDA

View Full Version : hour meters ???

THATJEFFGUY
05-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Does anyone know if there is a law that prohibits turning hour meters back on a boat....like there is for tampering with odometers on a car ??
Also, I've heard the ECM on a Mercruisers keeps the actual hour data stored indefinitely...is this true ?? If so, where can I get mine checked at ?

Phat Matt
05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
I doubt it because if you leave the key on your hour meter will run with the engine off so they aren't completely accurate.
I think the new engines store it though.

HCS
05-04-2004, 10:11 PM
I don't think so. It's not logged on the Pink slip like cars?

HCS
05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
I doubt it because if you leave the key on your hour meter will run with the engine off so they aren't completely accurate.
I think the new engines store it though.
A buddy of mine left his key in his boat in the on position,
he didn't notice until he put 500 hrs on his boat.:eek:

Phat Matt
05-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
A buddy of mine left his key in his boat in the on position,
he didn't notice until he put 500 hrs on his boat.:eek:
When it happened to me I took my boat in for the 20hr service at 27hrs and when I got it back it 43hrs. I was like WTF? That's why it took so long to get serviced. They've been out joy riding those bastards. Then I called them and they explained it to me. :)

HCS
05-04-2004, 10:23 PM
When it happened to me I took my boat in for the 20hr service at 27hrs and when I got it back it 43hrs. I was like WTF? That's why it took so long to get serviced. They've been out joy riding those bastards. Then I called them and they explained it to me. :) You sure they didn't take your boat out and get
drunk and laid?;)

RiverToysJas
05-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
Also, I've heard the ECM on a Mercruisers keeps the actual hour data stored indefinitely...is this true ?? If so, where can I get mine checked at ?
The ECM on the 496 has a huge amount of information about the motor on it. Including, but not limited to how many hours it has at all of the RPM ranges, and how many times it's hit the rev limiter. If I was buying a used boat, I'd have it checked before the deal was sealed. I would think any authorized Merc. machanic would have the computer that plugs into the motor.
RTJas :D

RiverPirate
05-04-2004, 10:25 PM
The ECM or engine computer module does store the actual hours the engine has ran. Mine shows about 150 hours over the true number. My dumb ass left the key in the "on" position on two different occassions. I have learned that my batteries last about 75 hours with the key "on" before they go dead. Go figure. Any Mercruiser shop can plug in their analyzer get the accurate hour reading.

HCS
05-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
The ECM on the 496 has a huge amount of information about the motor on it. Including, but not limited to how many hours it has at all of the RPM ranges, and how many times it's hit the rev limiter. If I was buying a used boat, I'd have it checked before the deal was sealed. I would think any authorized Merc. machanic would have the computer that plugs into the motor.
RTJas :D
That's what you need. Suck all the info out.

Phat Matt
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
You sure they didn't take your boat out and get
drunk and laid?;)
Not sure but I would like to believe I am the only one that's done that in my boat. :D

RiverToysJas
05-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Not sure but I would like to believe I am the only one that's done that in my boat. :D
So you were alone when it happened??? :eek:
LOL! RTJas :D

Phat Matt
05-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
So you were alone when it happened??? :eek:
LOL! RTJas :D
I swear I was going to say with a chick of course and not by myself just so someone couldn't leave a smart ass comment but I thought, it's late. I knew I should have clarified!!! :D You got me. I was all alone. LOL

Outnumbered
05-05-2004, 12:25 AM
If I'm not mistaken, leaving the key on will heat up the ignition coil and shorten its life or burn it out. Anybody have any knowledge of this on the newer boats?
OL

Mandelon
05-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Its pretty simple to put in a new hour meter..........what a way to turn back time......please someone help me find my hour meter, I wanna go back about 15 years......:D

Danhercules
05-05-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
If I'm not mistaken, leaving the key on will heat up the ignition coil and shorten its life or burn it out. Anybody have any knowledge of this on the newer boats?
OL
Thats what I was thinkin. Why do you have it in the ON position if the boat is not running? Isnt that what ACC is for? Ya do this in your cars too?
The dealer kept mine on "ON" and I yelled at him. I burned up a system when I was 16 and did not know better.

Just Tool'n
05-05-2004, 08:29 AM
Is a Hour on a Hour meter really 1 hour? 60 minutes of use.
It seems as if it is more than 1 hour of actual use. like 30-40 minutes of use time the hour meter has clicked off 1 hour.
If it is, it will take 416 & 2/3rds of a day for that hour meter hooked up to a battery for it to get back to zero, that is if its a 9999 hour meter.
Comments or actual experiance.

mirvin
05-05-2004, 09:14 AM
I don't have an hour meter so I just go with miles;)
mirvin

welk2party
05-05-2004, 09:16 AM
I never really gauge the boat by the meter. If the boat is in good shape and serviced regularly then that is good enough.

Bow Tie Omega
05-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Hour meters are more of a luxury then necessity and can be changed out as needed. I can not find any laws on hour meter tampering. I do not know about the computer, but that makes sense.

phebus
05-05-2004, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't think that there is a specific law against tampering with hour meters, but I would think that if someone is selling a boat claiming it had "X" number of hours, and in fact it had much more that it would be fraud.

cruser
05-05-2004, 09:02 PM
If there was an accident, buy a new one, install it in place of the old one.
cruzer

RiverPirate
05-05-2004, 09:25 PM
My Advantage didn't come with an ACC switch. Off-On-Start.:(