PDA

View Full Version : Inground Pool, Has anyone recenlty had one installed

JustMVG
05-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I am looking into getting a pool put in and have had some bids and ideas, i would like to know what experiences you've had and what to be looking for when decidind on our bui;lder.
Thanks for the help. Mike VG

Outnumbered
05-04-2004, 11:46 PM
We're doing one right now. This thread was pretty helpful.
Pool Thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24904&highlight=pool)
The only thing I would highly recommend is that you get a "Hard Dig" max limit built into your contract. It should read something like "under no circumstances shall the additional cost of a hard dig exceed $5,000". Otherwise you are leaving yourself open to a big bump in the contract price if the excavators hit rock etc. I learned the hard way--no pun intended;) . They hit bedrock on our dig and it cost us $5,500 more than the contracted price.
Good luck,
OL

Scream
05-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Make sure you do your homework on the contractors as well. What may seem a stable business could turn out to be a sham. Happened around here recently. A pool contractor for several years, had several locations. Owner started several pools at once, had contracts for several more, collected partial payments giving the homeowners sob stories in person, and collecting deposits from the potentials. The bastard skipped town after collecting a butt load of OPM (other peoples money).
Contact the BBB and see if they have any complaints registered. That's a good place to start.

Danhercules
05-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Make sure you do your homework on the contractors as well. What may seem a stable business could turn out to be a sham. Happened around here recently. A pool contractor for several years, had several locations. Owner started several pools at once, had contracts for several more, collected partial payments giving the homeowners sob stories in person, and collecting deposits from the potentials. The bastard skipped town after collecting a butt load of OPM (other peoples money).
Contact the BBB and see if they have any complaints registered. That's a good place to start.
Last year a guy here in Norco was doin the same thing. He did get busted. The sad part about it is, if I remeber right, Hes wife had a sheit load of money. Why would you rip people off is your wife is loaded?

copperrat20
05-05-2004, 07:16 AM
All I can say is don't give them any money up front. If they ask for cash up front tell them no and that you will pay them as you go. Otherwise you end up giving them 13 thousand just to dig a hole in you back yard and then they go out of business. Pay them only for the work they do. Like SCREAM said, it do your homework on the contractors. It doesn't matter how long they have been in business. The guy I hired had been in business for 23 years and like I said all I got was a hole in the backyard for 13. And there is nothing you can do once they file bankruptcy.

harleypauls
05-05-2004, 07:59 AM
CA law says, as a contractor, you can only collect 10% or $1000.00( which ever is greater) upfront. All other money is due at the end of the project.

copperrat20
05-05-2004, 08:09 AM
wish I would have know that when I started the project. But pool is done now. So I can't complain any longer.

ROZ
05-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by harleypauls
CA law says, as a contractor, you can only collect 10% or $1000.00( which ever is greater) upfront. All other money is due at the end of the project.
Pools are generally paid in 3 to 5 increments. 5k or so initial deposit the day of the dig, when they shotcrete, pool equitpment drop off, tile/plaster, and the final payment after the pool has been finished and final inspection has been done... As far as I know, it's always been done this way.
You can use the last payment as leverage if they happen to damage any of your property, such as the cement truck cracking your driveway....
Old Lavey's original thread was a good one!
Check all of their refrences in your area. Go out and look at the pools they've done.
If you have the time, I suggest playing GC yourself. You can save a shit load of money!

stoker
05-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by harleypauls
I believe it is 10% or $1000.00 which ever is less. Then progress payments from then on. Never pay for more than has been completed! Also be sure to get a completion date in your contract with damages for ea. day or week they go over the schedule. My buddy just had his pool remodeled, they said it would take 6 weeks. It took a little over 6 months!

ROZ
05-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by stoker
My buddy just had his pool remodeled, they said it would take 6 weeks. It took a little over 6 months!
If you start now, you'll be lucky to have it done by the end of August...
My pool is getting pebbletec on the 22nd as a side job. My buddy says the pool coating co he works for is already booked solid through june..

JustMVG
05-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks evryone, i went and read and reread the pool thread, we are still in the bid stage and looking at contractors and the contracts, all the while taking in whats been said and suggested here, much appreciate all of the comments, i'll let you know what comes of all of this, we'll be doing the 5 payment deal so far, and we have been told 12 weeks from start to jumping in and swimming. So We will see. Thanks again Mike VG

Flying Tiger
05-05-2004, 07:44 PM
If I was to do it again,,, I'd go inground fiberglass,, then when youre tired of it, ya hire a dumpster, a sawszall,, and a day of labor and it's gone.

JustMVG
05-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Well here are the sketches of the pool we deisigned and are going to have built, our builder is going to be California Pools, referred to us by a friend.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/85Pool_Blueprint_11-med.jpg
Thanks to everyone for the heads up we used all that was learned from that other pool thread, finally the wife agrees that this isn't just some "gossip and rumor" board.
Mike VG

Kilrtoy
05-13-2004, 11:23 PM
What the **** is that, a map of powell
how big is your backyard Mike.
LOOKS AWESOME......:D

JustMVG
05-13-2004, 11:39 PM
not quite that large but the pool will be 19x33, and i'm going to have a built in BBQ on the pad where the steps go in the upper left. we should start the dig in about a month or so, the contractor says he allots for 12 weeks but has been getting them done in 9, so i'll take pics, like an expectant daddy and post them of course.
The house is 2300 sq.ft. 2 story , anyone going to be needing a swing set? needs a couple of plastic pieces but other than that it's in great shape.
Mike VG