PDA

View Full Version : Advice on service shop in Havasu

Dennis26
05-05-2004, 09:32 AM
I need some ideas where I can take my boat in Havasu to get it looked at. I was out the weekend of the Heatwave, ran the boat for about 30 minutes and parked it. All my gauges were perfect, started it back up and the motor died after about 1 minute. Tom from Pro Marine has the boat and checked the fuel system and electrial and said everything was fine. He said I need someone w/ a Mercury scan tool, and couldn't do anything else.
The boat is a DCB Mach 26 with a 502/whipple. Alco won't look at it because of the whipple. The only other place I know of is Savage, and I know Steve is not too big on Whipples, and not sure if he has the Mercury tool.
Any ideas would be great.

Essex502
05-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Call Savage anyway...Kelly will tell you whether or not they can do it. Even though Steve "isn't big" on Whipples he may help you out if he can!

mbrown2
05-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Dennis26
Alco won't look at it because of the whipple.
They are off of my list of places to refer to.... :( :confused:
The only other place I know of is Savage, and I know Steve is not too big on Whipples..
Unless it is N/A, I would not even go there to hear his $hit.....obviously does not know alot about newer more efficient blower systems with EFI...
If these guys cannot troubleshoot it, I would go to GT...

gmocnik
05-05-2004, 11:05 AM
this is definitly an area where there is no local knowledge in havasu...if one of these guys would step up and learn about superchargers and EFI, they could do a pretty good business...
Tow it back to GT Performance in montclair....
not the answer you were looking for.......
gm

Essex502
05-05-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't know about the "no knowledge of superchargers" statement as I was watching Steve rig a blower motor into a new Magic a month or so ago when I picked my boat up. Maybe not Whipples but he seemed to know his way around blowers.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-05-2004, 11:56 AM
You may want to go down to Sandpoint and talk to their mechanic, Jeff Blosdale. I've only met him one time, and it was not for any engine work or work of any kind, but he did seem like a ncie guy. I do know he used to work with his dad and made some bada$$, from what I have been told no first hand experience, blower motors. Others may have a different story but you asked for any ideas.

Dennis26
05-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Just spoke with Aaron over at Absolute Speed and Marine. He has the Mercury scan tool, and is going to pick the boat up for me. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
If he can't figure it out, I will take the boat back to GT Performance. That's who did the motor last year. I just get a bit nervous to take the boat back there after what I went through with them last time.
Thanks.

Reaper1
05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
I don't know about the "no knowledge of superchargers" statement as I was watching Steve rig a blower motor into a new Magic a month or so ago when I picked my boat up. Maybe not Whipples but he seemed to know his way around blowers. Steve Faller knows his way around the engine hatch for sure, but he's always busy.;)

gmocnik
05-05-2004, 03:02 PM
don't be gettin your panties in a twist...yes, there are plenty of knowledgable roots/carbed blower guys in havasu...
EFI on whipples....good luck
if you know something i don't...please share...i have asked around i haven't found anyone yet...
gm

CustomCruiser
05-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Just spoke with Aaron over at Absolute Speed and Marine. He has the Mercury scan tool, and is going to pick the boat up for me. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
If he can't figure it out, I will take the boat back to GT Performance. That's who did the motor last year. I just get a bit nervous to take the boat back there after what I went through with them last time.
Thanks.
I was going to recommend Aaron at Absolute Speed and Marine. 6 Dollar Boat had him install a new distributor on his Whipped EFI motor. Good service and work. Let us know how it works out for you.

mbrown2
05-05-2004, 03:58 PM
My guess for tuning and building of motors with EFI w/Blowers (not carbed), Savage would send it to Pfaff...just a guess.

Jrocket
05-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Will it start now or does it just crank over?What exactly does it do? Will it start and run form a couple seconds and then die or what? I would call Dustin at Whipple and get some ideas then I would bring it back and take it to Gary Teague's place.

Tom Slick
05-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Thanks.
Good move. Aaron is awsome and knows his shit. Very fare and honest guy. Don't bother with Savage.

WHIPPED502
05-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Don't take it to Jeff at Sandpoint. The F head started an EFI Whipple engine for me in March of 03.while he worked at his dads shop. After 9 months of lies and a boat that would never run I took it to GT and they had it running in a week. Jeff will talk a good game but he can't produce crap,exept for the money he will rip you off for. He is the biggest piece off sh.. I have ever met. Oh ya you wanted to know who to take it to? GT in Monclair.

Dennis26
05-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Just wanted to put in a good word for Aaron at Absolute Speed & Marine. It ended up being the distributor. The boat ran great this weekend. I'll post some pics later today from this weekend.
Thanks to everybody for the ideas of where to go.

C-Ya
05-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Dennis26,
I am glad to here that you are pleased with Aaron at Absolute Speed & Marine.
I currently have my boat at his shop and was very impressed with his set-up. He is currently having a new shop being built 2 doors down from his present place.
For those of you that do not know his past, he spent the last 7 years at Savage Marine and decided to go out on his own several months ago. He certainly has lots of knowledge, but what I find comforting is the fact that he is obsessed with making a good name for himself, which means that you (the customer) isn't going to get "jacked around" because he doesn't want to get a bad reputation, like so many others out there. He also has a very secure place for your boat to be stored while it is in his shop, which is very important because I am certainly not going to leave my boat anywhere I even suspect a lack of security....period!
I have been using Savage Marine for the last 6 years, but decided to take my business with Aaron when he left. It's nothing against Savage because they have always done good work, but it was Aaron that was always working on my boat.
So if any of you are sitting on the fence about trying somebody new, I encourage you to give Absolute Speed & Marine a try!
Absolute Speed & Marine
1633 Industrial Bl (across from the Boat Brokers, 1/2 Block up from Savage Marine)
928 855-2252
C-Ya

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Aaron at Absolute........
With-Out-A-Doubt !!!!!!
BTW....Savage isn't against Whipple's....
It's ProCharger he doesn't like!!!
Pfaff built my Whippled 565 and uses Aaron for service in Havasu....
I just met Aaron last weekend.......I'll use him from now on !!!
CJG

Reaper1
06-06-2004, 09:06 AM
I have also heard good things about Aaron. Hell, Bling Bling let's him work on the Nortech so he has to know his shiz nizzle. I also find it funny that his shop is two doors up from where he used to work. I wonder what the boys at Savage think about that.:D

Three Days Only
06-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Aaron @ Absoulute Speed & Marine kicks ass. Thats were my boat goes when it's in Havasu. Aaron Fluent is really good, I have 800EFI's, and he has no problems scanning and making adjustments. You dont have to be a wizard to read a EFI motor. The scanner tells you exactly what up.
You cant go wrong with Aaron.

Charley
06-06-2004, 10:25 AM
IS Aaron the kid that used to work at Savage that branched off?? if so he is pretty sharp and seems to understand the word "service" as us very picky "right now is the best time to get my boat running" public ;)