PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Warning!!!!!!!!

topless
05-05-2004, 09:37 AM
My friend here at work has been on the atkins diet since February.
Her cholesteral was 198 before the diet. She did lose weight however, she went for a checkup yesterday and her cholesteral is now over 300. Her doctor made her stop. Just to warn you guys who are doing this diet BE VERY CAREFUL and see your doctor. I don't want to hear of any more deaths in the near future.

Debbolas
05-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Oh NO!
Mr. Scream is on that! (He has lost a bunch of weight, went down two pant sizes) I will make a Doc appointment for him.
Thanks for the info!
;)

hd&boatrider
05-05-2004, 09:48 AM
You need to take fish oil pills which will help out and eliminate the problem. It is very important. In the Atkins book or website I am sure it addresses this clearly.

carbonmarine
05-05-2004, 09:53 AM
My buddy did that... ended up in the hospital for something similar, but worse to irratable bowel symdrome ( IBS ) ...
Whats happend is your intestines work over time to push all that protein through if you dont eat enough fibre... Anyhow they work overtime and get really strained, they tire and need a break ...
His took a break alright and landed him in the hospital for 3 days on bed rest and IV Antibiotics......
Eat your fibre !
Rick32:cool:

78Eliminator
05-05-2004, 09:57 AM
And if you are shitting too much, let me be the first to reccommend vicodin. It will stop the flow like a tampax and leave you feeling like your job isn't so shitty, your worst enemy isn't so bad and television will actually be entertaining.....

CA Stu
05-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
And if you are shitting too much, let me be the first to reccommend vicodin. It will stop the flow like a tampax and leave you feeling like your job isn't so shitty, your worst enemy isn't so bad and television will actually be entertaining.....
Then, only a couple of poopless days later, you can shit out a bowling ball that goes "Clank!" on the bottom of the bowl!
I just had a billion dollar idea! Vico-Ex-Lax-adin.
Clean out your colon and your mind the painless way with new Vico-Ex-Lax-adin, now in mint flavor!
Cheers
CA Stu

mirvin
05-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Yep. If you do it wrong it is very dangerous. Cut down on the eggs and cheese and start adding fiber. LOTS OF FIBER. Salads, veggies, metamucil. It's real easy to get stuck in the meat cheese and eggs phase so be carful.
I've been doing the Atkins for almost two years now. It's way more about evolving back into a balanced diet then it is about never eating carbs. Make sure your freind reads the book and goes through the proper metamorphis. I think theres 4 or 5 "phases" that must be done or your doing it wrong.
mirvin

RiverToysJas
05-05-2004, 12:03 PM
You MUST get fiber too!!! ;)
RTJas :D

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Perhaps the reason I don't enjoy narcotics is that they are so constipating.
Keep your colon in good shape and it will take good care of you.

HammerDown
05-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Agreed, fiber and plenty of water is a must. Prior to Atkins my cholesteral was 270. I cut back on all Fatty meats Eggs etc. it didn't drop one bit. The Doc put me on Lipitor, now for 2 years. Even now with Atkins and all the fats etc. it's been down to 170.
I may trying stoping Lipitor and see where it's at now..
With this way of eating I do consume plenty of Fish and Vegtables> Broccoli or Asparagus.

Blown 472
05-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Agreed, fiber and plenty of water is a must. Prior to Atkins my cholesteral was 270. I cut back on all Fatty meats Eggs etc. it didn't drop one bit. The Doc put me on Lipitor, now for 2 years. Even now with Atkins and all the fats etc. it's been down to 170.
I may trying stoping Lipitor and see where it's at now..
With this way of eating I do consume plenty of Fish and Vegtables> Broccoli or Asparagus.
Asparagus give ya stinky pee, eat some the night before a wiz quiz.

bigq
05-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by topless
My friend here at work has been on the atkins diet since February.
Her cholesteral was 198 before the diet. She did lose weight however, she went for a checkup yesterday and her cholesteral is now over 300. Her doctor made her stop. Just to warn you guys who are doing this diet BE VERY CAREFUL and see your doctor. I don't want to hear of any more deaths in the near future.
What is high with her, you only gave the total, what is the break down? Kinda important.
HDL/LDL/Trig?
What about her blood sugar?
I don't know much about the Atkins plan, but my proteinplan calls for leaner meats also, you can still get fat and sloppy on Atkins.
How long has she been on the diet and has she cheated much?
Sometimes it can tak up to 6 months for the body to adjust, the blood sugar is a big factor.;)

topless
05-05-2004, 03:07 PM
She didn't tell me the breakdown but he told her to cut back on the fatty foods and if it doesn't come down, he will put her on medication. She has cheated a couple times but her big problem was that she has been in the induction phase the entire time.

HammerDown
05-05-2004, 03:17 PM
but her big problem was that she has been in the induction phase the entire time.
Thats a no-no. Being on induction a longer then 2 weeks is one thing. Even going back on it is ok, but staying on it...nope no good.

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 03:19 PM
I'd like to point out that a good way to control cholesterol is with exercise.

topless
05-05-2004, 03:20 PM
For some reason she says you can stay in the induction phase for up to a year. I didn't think it sounded right.

HammerDown
05-05-2004, 03:26 PM
For some reason she says you can stay in the induction phase for up to a year. I didn't think it sounded right.
Not true...at least the book states a few extra weeks to a month or so, and yes you can go back on it to sort of hotshot your system to once again burn fat.

fourspeednup
05-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I'd like to point out that a good way to control cholesterol is with exercise.
Lipitor is the way to go, a lot of people have very high cholesterol no matter what they do--such as my family
Lipitor prescriptions have gone up immensely since the atkins diet really took off a few years ago:cool:

mirvin
05-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Wow!! She must have read the book upsidown;)
mirvin

Debbolas
05-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Tom Brown, I didn't recognise you with your new avitar.....what is that?
Mr. Scream cheats every weekend, so maybe he is ok.....
We eat mostly salads and meat for dinner. That is our Atkins part.:D