PDA

View Full Version : Bear warning in Montana

Cheap Thrills
05-05-2004, 10:12 AM
The Montana State Department of Fish and Wildlife is advising campers to > > take extra precautions this spring and be on the alert for bears while in > > the Gallatin, Helena and Lewis and Clark National Forests. They advise > > campers to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their > > clothing to alert the bears of their presence, but not startle the bears > > unexpectedly. They also advise you to carry pepper spray to repel in case > > of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch for signs of > > bear activity. Campers should be able to recognize the difference between > > black bear and grizzly bear droppings in the woods. Black bear droppings > > are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur. Grizzly bear > > droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray. > > >
C.T. :wink:

Keith E. Sayre
05-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Also on that bulletin was a note that instructed you to run downhill if chased by a bear. They don't have an esophogus
and therefore can pass out if running down a hill when their
food obstructs their breathing. If all else fails, reach into your
pants and throw a handful of s_ _ t at them. Don't worry,
the s_ _ t will be there!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

twistedpair
05-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Keith E. Sayre
Also on that bulletin was a note that instructed you to run downhill if chased by a bear. They don't have an esophogus
and therefore can pass out if running down a hill when their
food obstructs their breathing. If all else fails, reach into your
pants and throw a handful of s_ _ t at them. Don't worry,
the s_ _ t will be there!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Only true if the food that is obstructing their breathing is YOU :eek:

Rexone
05-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray. > > >
so the moral of this story is a bear ate aaron after his workout :confused:
:D

FMluvswater
05-05-2004, 05:49 PM
[snip] take extra precautions this spring and be on the alert for bears [snip] They advise campers to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert the bears of their presence, but not startle the bears unexpectedly. They also advise you to carry pepper spray to repel in case of an encounter with a bear. [snip]
Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.
OMFG!! I read that three times before I caught the Grizzly thing! :D LMFAO! So what they really mean is if you spot a Grizzly we're sorry but you're screwed? :D

spectras only
05-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
OMFG!! I read that three times before I caught the Grizzly thing! :D LMFAO! So what they really mean is if you spot a Grizzly we're sorry but you're screwed? :D . FM , my friend had two blackbears rocking back & forth on his fence in Port Moody :D .No big deal.But those mofo grizzlies and cougars in Pemberton are no childs play:eek: .A lot of folks go out to nature around here oblivious to the dangers:eek!: . My friend goes these places and sleeps in a hammock .I said one day he'll be dinner.He's thinking about packing a rifle now:D

Oldsquirt
05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Cheap Thrills, that's one of the funnier pieces I've read in a long time. Guys at work were wondering what had me laughing so hard.
Originally posted by Rexone
so the moral of this story is a bear ate aaron after his workout :confused:
:D
Damn Mike, talk about reaching back a ways for that one. :D

Rexone
05-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by spectras only
He's thinking about packing a rifle now:D
Why, so they'll be something left to find after they eat him from his hammock?

FMluvswater
05-05-2004, 06:13 PM
. FM , my friend had two blackbears rocking back & forth on his fence in Port Moody :D .No big deal.But those mofo grizzlies and cougars in Pemberton are no childs play:eek: .A lot of folks go out to nature around here oblivious to the dangers:eek!: . My friend goes these places and sleeps in a hammock .I said one day he'll be dinner.He's thinking about packing a rifle now:D
Even the black bears thing would freak me out. I love cougars ... in nice safe photographs. :) Grizzlies? I don't even wanna imagine. :eek: I might sleep in a hammock out in the bush with a rifle ... if I was completely enclosed inside an oversized shark cage ... and sauced up on like 5 Ghostbusters. :D Maybe. Prolly not. :frown: :D

Cheap Thrills
05-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT
Cheap Thrills, that's one of the funnier pieces I've read in a long time. Guys at work were wondering what had me laughing so hard.
Damn Mike, talk about reaching back a ways for that one. :D
I'm glad you enjoyed it .
My mother E-mailed it to me ,of all people :D
wich is almost as funny as as the joke.

spectras only
05-05-2004, 06:22 PM
FM, friends live in Furry Creek [just before Squamish] right by the golf course.They have a resident bear usually sitting on top of a huge rock right at the end of the course watching the action;) :D . Maybe he likes golf:cool:

FMluvswater
05-05-2004, 06:25 PM
FM, friends live in Furry Creek [just before Squamish] right by the golf course.They have a resident bear usually sitting on top of a huge rock right at the end of the course watching the action;) :D . Maybe he likes golf:cool:
You have just confirmed for me that golfers are insane. :)

Cheap Thrills
05-05-2004, 06:26 PM
or maybe he's scoping out the slow fat ones :D

spectras only
05-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Why, so they'll be something left to find after they eat him from his hammock? Mike, you've got a point there ;) :p , although you need a rifle around these places even if you sleep in a camper.A grizzly could tear apart a camper/trailer in no time if wanted too,hehe.

FMluvswater
05-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Mike, you've got a point there ;) :p , although you need a rifle around these places even if you sleep in a camper.A grizzly could tear apart a camper/trailer in no time if wanted too,hehe.
Note to self never go camping in Grizzly country not even in a trailer. Okay self thanks got it. :)

spectras only
05-05-2004, 06:30 PM
or maybe he's scoping out the slow fat ones :D
C.T. :wink: Yeah, their electric scooters wouldn't be fast enough going downhill either :D

FMluvswater
05-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Yeah, their electric scooters wouldn't be fast enough going downhill either :D
Because the golfers are too insane about their game and their equipment to drop everything haul out of the damn scooter and run!!! :rolleyes:

spectras only
05-05-2004, 06:34 PM
If I were camping in a tent , I would play heavy metal on a low volume all night, hoping the bears couldn't "bear" the music:D

FMluvswater
05-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Note to self Metallica could save my life in a pinch if I have to go camping. :D

Dave C
05-05-2004, 06:46 PM
question.... would 15 rounds of .40 cal ammo stop a black bear??
they love to walk around Tahoe. I saw one up a tree during ski season. I guess the eats are so good that they don't sleep during the winter.
they are so fat I don't think they could catch me running away from them even if they tried.

Cheap Thrills
05-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Black bears are fairly docile and mainly vegitarian diet . nor are they usually agressive unless cornered . Grizleys and Kodiacs are the ones to worry about . but to answer your question in a word YES . :D

Her454
05-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
Note to self Metallica could save my life in a pinch if I have to go camping. :D
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Phat Matt
05-05-2004, 08:49 PM
I go camping every year at Twin Lakes in the High Sierra's just out of Bridgeport. They have lots of black bears there. Every night they come out to go through the trash cans or campers coolers. You don't want to sleep with any food in your tent because they will come looking for it. Sometimes when we are all drunk we'll go looking for them with flash lights in the night and tree them. They will run from you most of the time unless there are cubs around, then look out. Other times we'll bring a trash can by the tent or leave some food on the table and watch them go through it through the mesh window. It's pretty crazy knowing some nylon seperates you from a wild bear!