PDA

View Full Version : Trident Boats

Taylorman
05-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Anyone have any pictures of the new Trident dual jet?

Lightning
05-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Here is a photo of the boat itself, notice the center sponson is wide enough for dual jets...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/370TridentRD.jpg

Lightning
05-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Here are some up close composite photos of the drives themselves....pretty awesome stuff
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/370Drive_Composite.jpg

WILDERTHANU
05-05-2004, 11:30 AM
DUAL JETS.....MUST ADD TWICE THE FUN.......:D :D :D

flat broke
05-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
Here is a photo of the boat itself, notice the center sponson is wide enough for dual jets...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/370TridentRD.jpg
WTF is Riverdave doing overseeing the construction of that thing? There went the resale value :D :D :D
Chris

Froggystyle
05-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
WTF is Riverdave doing overseeing the construction of that thing? There went the resale value :D :D :D
Chris
Naw... he is just my billet Nazi. If he says the billet looks good, it will be just fine!!
In all actuality, I ended up going with a billet guy he recommended and he is totally kick ass. Great work, good delivery times and is easy to work and develop product with, so I owe him a beer or 12 for that one.
That is an old shot of the boat too. We are pulling the mold tomorrow morning at last! Everything is all black and shiny now.

flat broke
05-05-2004, 01:34 PM
So you're pulling the first mold off the plug? Sounds like things are moving along. I would assume you'll waste no time laying one up to get a test mule up and running. You've got to be dying to put one in the water and see what it will do with good power and the dual drives setup.
Chris

HBjet
05-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I want to see what it'll do with an Arneson.. :D
RD \
Why don't we see what that Schiada does first.....:D :)
HBjet

Froggystyle
05-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
So you're pulling the first mold off the plug? Sounds like things are moving along. I would assume you'll waste no time laying one up to get a test mule up and running. You've got to be dying to put one in the water and see what it will do with good power and the dual drives setup.
Chris
Ding ding ding!!! You are the winner of the official "understatement of the year" award! You can't imagine how hard I am chomping at the bit to get this thing wet and wrung out...
Long year so far. hehe

LaveyJet
05-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
Here are some up close composite photos of the drives themselves....pretty awesome stuff
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/370Drive_Composite.jpg
How does the gearing work, any reduction? both drives in the same direction or counter rotating?

78Eliminator
05-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
You never called me back by the way.
RD
Whoa!!!! Careful Dave. Which Villiage People costume do you wear every halloween?

Froggystyle
05-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by LaveyJet
How does the gearing work, any reduction? both drives in the same direction or counter rotating?
Ours is going to have reduction/overdrive to perfectly match our engine's torque curve. It will put the torque required to turn the pumps at the very most optimal position within the torque curve of the motor, and keep us from having to cut the impellers to get what we want.
In short, we will retain the maximum efficiency available with a pump, which is the "A" impeller, and gear down to accomodate power supply, or gear up to carry the boost mods and ECM reprogramming for the 900 horsepower, non-warrantied version.

riverrunner
05-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
We are pulling the mold tomorrow morning
How'd it come out? inquiring minds want to know. When will the first one be on the water?

Froggystyle
05-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by riverrunner
How'd it come out? inquiring minds want to know. When will the first one be on the water?
We won't know for a while. Now you have to weld a cage, flip it over and make the bottom mold as well.
We are truckin right along though...

LVjetboy
05-08-2004, 01:44 PM
"Ours is going to have reduction/overdrive to perfectly match our engine's torque curve. It will put the torque required to turn the pumps at the very most optimal position within the torque curve of the motor, and keep us from having to cut the impellers to get what we want."
So at what point do engine and pump torque match for optimum efficiency, or if not that than optimum power? What is your definition of "optimal position within the torque curve?"
"In short, we will retain the maximum efficiency available with a pump, which is the "A" impeller, and gear down to accomodate power supply"
I've always wondered about maximum efficiency for a Berkeley...or any other pump for that matter. Seems there's a shortage of pump performance curves in the industry. Do you have pump curves showing maximum efficiency for an A impeller? If so I'd love to see them. If not...WTF???
Jet pump mfgs are lacking in data.
jer

v-drive
05-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LaveyJet
I really want to see inside that drive box. Pretty please ofcourse with sugar....v-drive

Froggystyle
05-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
So at what point do engine and pump torque match for optimum efficiency, or if not that than optimum power? What is your definition of "optimal position within the torque curve?"
More specifically, for warranty and reliability reasons, we want to keep the max RPM of the motor at or around 5K RPMs. We have designed a lot of the package to produce a huge torque number at that RPM, and considering the jets natural predisposition to decreased efficiency at higher RPM's, we felt that a 5K redline would suit us well. 670 horsepower will not turn a pair of "A" impellers at 5K though. It takes over 410 to turn one at that speed in fact. (Simple math dictates that to turn two would take 820 hp) We did not want to increase horsepower, and we also did not wish to lose efficiency by cutting the impellers, so we will gear the jets to allow our motor to come onto it's torque peak, and barely start to roll off of it before we run out. This should result in the best possible response, utilizing all available power, and being able to gear up for a pully change that maximizes engine potential. Geared back to straight ratio, we should be able to spin a pair of "A" impellers about 5400 rpms or so.
I've always wondered about maximum efficiency for a Berkeley...or any other pump for that matter. Seems there's a shortage of pump performance curves in the industry. Do you have pump curves showing maximum efficiency for an A impeller? If so I'd love to see them. If not...WTF???
jer
There are efficiency curves out there, and not too many people have them. I don't. But the guy who has designed the gear box does. I am assured that the "A" impeller is the most efficient of the impeller sizes by quite a bit. It is the impeller that these pumps were designed to work perfectly with.
Jet pump mfgs are lacking in data.
That, or they don't want to propagate it. You choose...

manuel
05-10-2004, 12:02 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/950pwr-curve-lg-med.jpg

UBFJ #454
05-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Extensive, Comprehensive Proprietary Flow Testing has shown, that for a given pump with the required Tq/Hp being applied, the maximum flow through the nozzle for All Sizes of Impellers is, within 1 or 2 percent (in one isolated case), THE SAME ..... It, the Maximum Flow Rate, just occurs at Different RPMs. That is why the impeller size/cut should only be selected to match the motors Tq/Hp Characteristics (Tq/Hp vs. RPM Curve). Note that all the testing I refer to was done with an inducer installed.

Froggystyle
05-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
Extensive, Comprehensive Proprietary Flow Testing has shown, that for a given pump with the required Tq/Hp being applied, the maximum flow through the nozzle for All Sizes of Impellers is, within 1 or 2 percent (in one isolated case), THE SAME ..... It, the Maximum Flow Rate, just occurs at Different RPMs. That is why the impeller size/cut should only be selected to match the motors Tq/Hp Characteristics (Tq/Hp vs. RPM Curve). Note that all the testing I refer to was done with an inducer installed.
Huh.... weird. Different story than I got, but such is the name of the game.
In any case, we will be gearing to offset the torque requirements (adding mechanical advantage at the same time) and pulling hopefully maximum flow rates possible at 5K.
Thanks for the gouge though. Good stuff.

Foggerjet
05-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Froggystyle, those pics rank right up there with the coolest things I've ever seen. Great job, I can't imagine what it took to put that deal together. Will you run droops and/or diverters on that rig? Think about that! Tandem tails! Anyway very cool, hope to see it someday.
fog

UBFJ #454
05-10-2004, 05:15 PM
No Gouge Intended ... Just sharing Test Results.
Far too often I find that people think that the Impeller Cut determines the amount of water moved through the pump ... Therefore, Thrust the pump generates ... They believe the bigger the cut, the more water moved, the more Thrust generated ... All I'm saying is ... WRONG.
One can only Force so much H2O through a certain diameter opening ... Nozzle size ... Therefore, one can only create so much maximum thrust for a particular opening size ... Think about it, a fire truck pumper pumping full bore hooked up to a garden hose ... when the maximum amount of water is coming out the end of the garden hose what happens ... the hose swells and bursts... In a Jet Pump, Bowl Pressure Sky Rockets and you "Blow The Tail" (The pump can't take anymore water and a back pressure bubble builds up in the area of the intake).

Froggystyle
05-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
No Gouge Intended ... Just sharing Test Results.
No no no.... "gouge" as in... "good information".
Sorry, Navy term.