PDA

View Full Version : Marine Power Co SCAM, FRAUD, RIPOFF

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Marine Power Co. will NOT stand behind their Sales Agreements, They are a GM marine engine dealer based out of Louisiana, and the Presidents Son Walter recently came out to live in Cali and handle all of the company’s west coast operations with dealers. The motors are great because they are GM, but the company itself will not stand behind their agreements.
The Story from the start from my friend Jon. He rode with me at OP6 last year b/c he blew the motor on his boat Memorial Day weekend. Forget the 4+ months LOST all he wants is his Deposit back and the impound fees the company incurred.
Called up Marine Power to get prices for engine package deals, called back the next day and told him I would like to go ahead with the deal. Was told to meet them at the boat show in L.A. and give them a deposit. I Wrote $5000.00 check to Marine Power Rep (president's son) at the L.A. boat show on 1/31 was promised a 572ci engine to be built within 3-4 weeks for my 27’ Cat. The check cleared on 2/3
I tried to get a hold of Marine Power 2 weeks later and got no returned calls. About 1 week after that, I received lien sale papers in the mail saying my boat was to be SOLD at an auction if I didn't pick up the boat and pay fees. They had picked up the boat from the marine power representatives house where it was being stored. (apparently the Marine Power location in Riverside didn’t have storage space). I immediately went to the tow yard and paid the $2000 in storage fees to get my boat out. When I went to pick up the boat it was absolutely filthy and many new scratches. I finally got in contact with Marine Power and they said they had been out of town doing a "Monster Garage Show" and the boat was picked up by accident in the meantime and didn't know this had happened. Marine Power told me that the $2000 I had paid for their mistake in lien fees would be taken out of the cost to do the engine. I was promised my boat would be fully taken care of and they would also do a wet sand and buff to take care of the scratches my boat had received. I was told I would have my boat done in 2 weeks.
Well two weeks go by and I am told the 572 engine does not work there are some problems with the cam "water reversion" and they would put a new 502 engine for the meantime until they could figure out the major problems with the 572ci and this would be put in within a week. (more bullshit to stall) I said I don’t want any 502!
I finally got a hold of the Marine Power rep later the next week and he says the motor is in, but there’s something wrong with the drive. I was completely fed up, my outdrive was working perfectly when I dropped it off to them. The same day I told them I just wanted to go and pick up the boat with the motor and take care of the rest later. I went to the Marine Power location and was told by Steve that works at Proboat that the boat had just left with Walter and had NO ENGINE in it. I called Walter furious wanted my boat back to find out nothing had been done and it had now been 3 months. He first promised they would reimburse me of all my money and have my boat back to me tonight. Well a few hours went by when I get a call from Walter asking who my buddy was posting things about "Marine Power" on the internet.(H20 party Starter) I told him I have a lot of friends aware of the situation that post on many sites. He then apologized repeatedly and agreed to go ahead and finish up the job at no additional cost and promised it within another week. He even called H20 P.S. personally and begged him not to post anything bad, and said he would take care of everything. The week went by and to my surprise I was told to go to Dana Boats where they were helping him put in a complete 572 engine. I went to there and actually saw the engine inside the boat where all that was needed were the exhausts which were supposedly on order from IMCO and supposed to be in within 2 days. Well 1 day went by and I was informed that my engine had been ripped out and to come pick up my boat. I was thoroughly confused and talked with the president of Marine Power where I wasn't informed of much. Eventually I was told by Marine Power they would not be helping me at all and that I needed to take this up with Walter the President’s son. Walter had been stealing motors from inventory and selling them like normal transactions and keeping the money. The Company now refuses refund the money and Walter has left California.
Anyone have any ideas?????????

shadow
05-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Did he leave California in a body bag?:

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 12:36 PM
6 forums! Kick ass. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

Ntwotrance
1. sue the crap out of them
2. call the better business bureau
then after 1 and 2 are done, find Walter and kick him in the junk.
sorry to hear about all this, but do follow through on 1 and 2.

1stepcloser
Hoo - Yaaa
Thats what I'm talking about!!!
Good afternoon entertainment.....:)

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
6 forums! Kick ass. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
I'm remembering when HB JET flammed D&S Interiors:D :D

riverbound
05-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Were the checks made out to marine power? If so then why are you being held responsible for their employee stealing? I have had past employees steal form customers before andI have had to make it right with the customer even after I have fired the employee.
I am very sorry to hear about situations like this. Hopefully everything will be resolved very shortly.

unleashed
05-05-2004, 12:41 PM
What Dave says is true. Walter was representing the parent company at the LA Boat show. If you called Marine power and they directed you to there West Coast person(Walter)then they should be responsible and know what is going on with there representative. Get a lawyer and sue there asses!:mad:
Also post this at offshoreonly.com Im sure the more publicity the better. I mean honestly 7000.00 is not alot of money to pay to resolve the bad business. Come on Marine Power get your head out of your asses and make this right!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Scream
05-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Does your friend have reciepts to show payment to Marine Power? If he does and it was executed with an officer of the Corporation, or a duly authorized employee, he should be able to sue Marine Power for the $$ and get some punative damages as well. Your friend entered into an agreement with Marine Power, not Walter, and Marine Power (regardless of the embezlement) is responsible to show due dillegence and resolve the problem. You're friend cannot be held responsible for the actions of an employee that is authorized to negotiate on behalf of the company to provide him with goods and services...
Tell him to go for the gusto and take them for all thier worth. If Marine Power (parent) won't take responsibility up front, they should be made to be responsible through the courts.
That is a bad deal.

572Daytona
05-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Was the check made out to Marine Power?
Did you get any type of quote or paperwork for the deal on Marine Power letterhead?
Was the guy working at a Marine Power booth at the boat show (does anyone have a picture of their booth?)
If any of the above you definitely would have a case against marine power. And if the guy is truly the son of the president (do you know that for a fact?) you would probably have a case regardless
You may want to contact the organizers of the boat show and see if they can intervene in your favor as well.

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Did you make the check payable to Marine Power or Walter personally?:mad:

1stepcloser
05-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by H20 Party Starter
Marine Power Co. will NOT stand behind their Sales Agreements,
(blah-blah-blah)
Anyone have any ideas?????????
File a lawsuit against Marine Power for the $7000.00.
List Dana Marine as a party in the suit.
Let Dana Marine know that you will list them as a party in the suit, since they took responsibility for the installation.

mirvin
05-05-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm remembering when HB JET flammed D&S Interiors:D :D
Uhhh, yeah.....and people are still getting jacked by D&S to this day:confused:
I wonder if people will stay away from Marine Power?
mirvin;)

jackpunx
05-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Whatever happens.. Your buddy will be screwed for the summer.. He'll be sitten bitch in someone elses boat.. These guys need to step up and take care of their own... Tell your buddy he can ride in my boat anytime he comes out to the river.. and make sure he knows about Dave being able to type and hold his dick.. There's lots of more tricks where that came from.. :D

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Dana only HELPED jon in this situation, they are the ones who finally contacted the president (Walter's Daddy) to find out what the **** was going on with all these people expecting motors and not getting them. They also helped him get/install a temp engine in the boat after Walter was long-gone
Thanks Dana:cool:

GrapeApe
05-05-2004, 12:50 PM
I am sitting here shaking my Head as I read this... I was thinking of putting the 572 in My Ultra, and spoke with Marine Power at the La Boat Show as well.... My Current Motor is Marine Power as well... I think this should be an open & shut case.. Dont F**K with a Guys Boat...
*** Grape Ape ***

Havasu_Dreamin
05-05-2004, 12:51 PM
I say sue their asses and then own the company!

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by GrapeApe
I am sitting here shaking my Head as I read this... I was thinking of putting the 572 in My Ultra, and spoke with Marine Power at the La Boat Show as well.... My Current Motor is Marine Power as well... I think this should be an open & shut case.. Dont F**K with a Guys Boat...
*** Grape Ape ***
I told you I didn't think it was right.
Wasn't he willing to give you full value for your motor because he said he could still sell it as new if it had less than a certain number of hours on it? and isn't your motor almost a year old now?

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 12:56 PM
LMAO, punx! :D :D :D

1stepcloser
05-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Dana only HELPED jon in this situation, they are the ones who finally contacted the president (Walter's Daddy) to find out what the **** was going on with all these people expecting motors and not getting them. They also helped him get/install a temp engine in the boat after Walter was long-gone
Thanks Dana:cool:
I see that, perhaps that would be a bit harsh....but, maybe Dana can motivate MP to step up and do the right thing here.
It's not the first time a son has dealt out the the back door in this industry....it just needs to be made right.
****in' kids these days.....

GrapeApe
05-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by rvrtoy
Wasn't he willing to give you full value for your motor because he said he could still sell it as new if it had less than a certain number of hours on it? and isn't your motor almost a year old now?
Steve - Thats Correct, He said that if the Motor had less than 40 Hrs on it, he would Buy the Motor Back as new, and resell it if I wanted to upgrade to the 572...:mad: Probably resell the used Motor back to you as new....
*** Grape Ape ***

mirvin
05-05-2004, 12:59 PM
HEY H20!!! I noticed you posted this in HS west. You should put it up on HS central and east so the rest of the country can get a look at what MP is doing out here;)
mirvin

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 01:00 PM
It sounded to me like jon was one of a bunch of people in this situation and Marine Power is telling them all "give us some time to figure out everything" but if you press it, they basically tell you to get over it:confused: :mad:

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 01:01 PM
40 hours is new? What an ASS!!!:mad:
Count yourself lucky that he didn't rip you off as well!!!

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
HEY H20!!! I noticed you posted this in HS west. You should put it up on HS central and east so the rest of the country can get a look at what MP is doing out here;)
mirvin
I posted it EVERYWHERE but HammerDown is still trying to keep me repressed because I'm black:cool: He limmited me to 2 sections:D

jackpunx
05-05-2004, 01:04 PM
I posted it EVERYWHERE but HammerDown is still trying to keep me repressed because I'm black:cool: He limmited me to 2 sections:D
Its tuff being black when your as light skinded as me:D

1stepcloser
05-05-2004, 01:04 PM
It sounded to me like jon was one of a bunch of people in this situation and Marine Power is telling them all "give us some time to figure out everything" but if you press it, they basically tell you to get over it:confused: :mad:
Get over it?!? :mad: Fcuk that attitude.
Sure...as soon as I get my $7000.00 I'll be right the hell over it.
In the meantime, let Judge Judy "figure out everything".:D

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 01:05 PM
LMAO, sounds right to me, WALTER told Jon he would pay for half of a new outdrive too:confused:
When I talked to him on the phone, I asked him straight up how he could do shit like that, NOBODY will loose $ on purpose. His response exactly was, "well I can hide the paperwork for awhile and cover it on another deal, I wanna help your buddy out and make this right"
I told him at least 10 times in the conversation "we'll see"

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Who did Jon write the check to?
If the check was written to Marine Power and they will not honor the agreement, then thats ****ed.
I hope that Jon didn't write that check to Walter directly, That would just be stupid!!

Dribble
05-05-2004, 01:09 PM
My guess is you're screwed
Corporation
MARINE POWER WEST COAST, INC.
Number: C1901273 Date Filed: 3/26/1996 Status: dissolved
Jurisdiction: California
Mailing Address
6210 INDUSTRIAL AVE.
RIVERSIDE, CA 92504
Agent for Service of Process
ELAINE F. MARTER
6210 INDUSTRIAL AVE.
RIVERSIDE, CA 92504

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Stupid huh?:( :D

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 01:11 PM
So should I start a new thread about how to get $7k out of WALTER ALBRIGHT in Louisiana?

welk2party
05-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Keep the flaming up. A company that blatantly abuses its customers and steals from them should be punsihed. When any business refuses to make something right, they are sealing their fate. If we could avoid being sued for libel and slander, an advertisement concerning the story would be wonderful.
Disgusting!:mad: Makes those with reputable business' looked at with unfounded skepticism.

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 01:14 PM
If that is who he wrote the check too, then yes. Take 7k out of Walters ass.
It is VERY hard to draw any conclusions (at least in my case) without that one very important fact.

Froggystyle
Who did Jon write the check to?
If the check was written to Marine Power and they will not honor the agreement, then thats ****ed.
I hope that Jon didn't write that check to Walter directly, That would just be stupid!!
You say that, but Walter had a pretty good game goin. He would say that he personally got the motor for you because he didn't have your information for a payment, so just go ahead and write it to him. Now you figure... hell... this guy is selling Marine Power motors, with a Marine Power shirt on, and out of a Marine Power truck, and his last name is the same as the President of the goddamn company, this is probably a good bet. In addition, he is actually providing the motor to you, and that is always a good sign. The next move is, "Hey, give me your fax number and I will get an invoice to you right away..."
Usually frauds go the other way you see. You get your money taken and never get a product. He would actually provide the product, and at the price he had quoted. This is where the problem is. We are all very carefull about people selling product out of the back of a truck, and never buy it because you figure it is hot... but this wasn't like that. He is promising warranties, rolling up in a Marine Power truck with all of the bells and whistles and delivery package. Internal theft never even pops up on your radar.
This is a terrible deal for everyone. He almost got a couple of freinds of mine on it too, but I told them to hold off without an invoice. I think Marine Power needs to just take the man pill and roger up for the promises of their employee, and pay the pony. If they don't, I think it will be ruinous for them.
Wes

H20 Party Starter
I wonder how Walter's dad made it right with his "real customers" as he calls them like ULTRA, DANA, Etc. etc. etc.
Sucks to be the little guy

GrapeApe
05-05-2004, 01:18 PM
I wonder how Walter's dad made it right with his "real customers" as he calls them like ULTRA, DANA, Etc. etc. etc.
Sucks to be the little guy
I Hope they will find out that the end user " Hot Boaters" are the Real Customers..
*** Grape Ape ***

jackpunx
05-05-2004, 01:18 PM
well give him a day or two to think about this.. I hope he has a different tune for your buddy...

welk2party
05-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Last I checked, "real customers" are any that pays "real" money.
It is terrible that a company would even have the ability to put those two words together in any context.

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 01:23 PM
I beleive the boating public is Marine Powers "real customer".
I am not deffending Marine Powers actions, just trying to get all the facts so that I can form my own opinion.

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
You say that, but Walter had a pretty good game goin. He would say that he personally got the motor for you because he didn't have your information for a payment, so just go ahead and write it to him. Now you figure... hell... this guy is selling Marine Power motors, with a Marine Power shirt on, and out of a Marine Power truck, and his last name is the same as the President of the goddamn company, this is probably a good bet. In addition, he is actually providing the motor to you, and that is always a good sign. The next move is, "Hey, give me your fax number and I will get an invoice to you right away..."
Usually frauds go the other way you see. You get your money taken and never get a product. He would actually provide the product, and at the price he had quoted. This is where the problem is. We are all very carefull about people selling product out of the back of a truck, and never buy it because you figure it is hot... but this wasn't like that. He is promising warranties, rolling up in a Marine Power truck with all of the bells and whistles and delivery package. Internal theft never even pops up on your radar.
This is a terrible deal for everyone. He almost got a couple of freinds of mine on it too, but I told them to hold off without an invoice. I think Marine Power needs to just take the man pill and roger up for the promises of their employee, and pay the pony. If they don't, I think it will be ruinous for them.
Wes
More Like: Hi I'm Walter, and I can give better deals to dealers, so give me the money and I'll just add the motor to one of our dealer invoices to save you $2K
Many members of this board HAD good things to say about Walter, and we took that as a good sign:frown:

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Did I mention Walter Albright (age 25) is a member here on ***boat????
Anyone know his screen-name?
Hey Walter.... where are you? What did you spend Jon's $5K on???:mad:

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Did I mention Walter Albright (age 25) is a member here on ***boat????
Hey Walter.... where are you? What did you spend Jon's $5K on???:mad:
Cigarettes, Stripers, and booze!!:rolleyes:

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Isn't he RacingRascal?

LaveyJet
05-05-2004, 01:38 PM
I think Marine Power needs to just take the man pill and roger up for the promises of their employee, and pay the pony. If they don't, I think it will be ruinous for them.
Wes
Weren’t you originally considering Marine Power for your boats?

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 01:42 PM
I did have good things to say about him. I can admit that!
I would never give hime a check, made to him or Marine Power, before recieving the product or having an invoice wether I liked him or not. Thats just normal business procedures if you ask me.

Froggystyle
05-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by LaveyJet
Weren’t you originally considering Marine Power for your boats?
Originally, yes...
Then things went sideways. I met with the owners of Marine Power, they could not build the type of power we needed, Walter was full of crap about being able to and we backed out of that plan last August.
Since then, we have sourced Marine Assault Custom Motors to do the job, and are very, very pleased.
Walter was flawed on a fundamental level. I knew him for a couple of years as an associate, meaning he was in the Marine industry and so was I, but nothing EVER added up.
I now realize that not a single thing he ever told me was true. I cut my ties with him completely late last year and told him to lose my number. Good move it turns out.

Lightning
05-05-2004, 01:45 PM
He posts under "M.P. PERFORMANCE" or something like that. Keep in mind this is only one story that we know about, he effed over a buddy of mine on another deal, not as costly - but still bullshit.

Froggystyle
05-05-2004, 01:46 PM
I would never give hime a check, made to him or Marine Power, before recieving the product or having an invoice wether I liked him or not. Thats just normal business procedures if you ask me.
They were receiving product is the problem... You don't think of it as shady if you get the goods.

Lightning
05-05-2004, 01:48 PM
I had good things to say about him as well, but thinking back - his stories never really added up.
It takes quite a man to pack up your family and house and drive back home once you learn that you are busted and your daddy is flying out to sort through the mess you created. :rolleyes:

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 01:53 PM
They were receiving product is the problem... You don't think of it as shady if you get the goods.
I'm not sure wether to read this as an insult to my character or just as an informative statement.

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
I had good things to say about him as well, but thinking back - his stories never really added up.
It takes quite a man to pack up your family and house and drive back home once you learn that you are busted and your daddy is flying out to sort through the mess you created. :rolleyes:
Very true Lightning. I just figured he was the type that pumped his stories up a bit to try and make people like him better or resect him more.

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure wether to read this as an insult to my character or just as an informative statement.
I think you should take it as an insult and threaten violence.

OracleSnowboards
05-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Can somebody paste this and put it on the Offshoreonly forum that is a Gold or Platinum member, I can't do it without having to pay. Marine Power is biggest on the East Coast and that is the "***boat" of the EAST coast

jbtrailerjim
05-05-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm just sitting here shaking my head. I don't know how people could be such crook's like that. This guy is really scum of the earth to do it to his own father. I work for my father and I would never even dream of doing something like that to him. That shit just ain't right.

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Rvrtoy, how could you read that as an insult to your character? RD
Indeed... but come on, Dave. Don't calm down what might turn out to be a fantastic out-take in this ****-fest. :D

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 02:00 PM
I would never refer to him as "quite a man"
1. He hurt the business that his Dad worked hard for and that gave him a home. Did he think nobody would notice?
2. He talked sooo much shit on the practices of West Coast boat builders and when talking to ME on the phone about Jon's boat he said "John West is a Crook and should have never built the Ultra 27"
3. Anytime you steal large quantities of cash from people and **** them over, you put your family/wife/kids at great risk.

Lightning
05-05-2004, 02:01 PM
I do have a question though.. For these people that did recieve there product.. Is it considered stolen now? I.E. will marine power be repo'ing their motors becuase they were never paid for them?
RD
They are probably trying to sort out who has stolen motors in their boats and who doesn't. That's a really good question Dave...

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Rvrtoy, how could you read that as an insult to your character?
What you said was that until you get the good you wouldn't hand over a check..
He's saying many people DID recieve the goods, gave him a check and were still scammed.
I do have a question though.. For these people that did recieve there product.. Is it considered stolen now? I.E. will marine power be repo'ing their motors becuase they were never paid for them?
RD
I can't speak for everyone involved however, we only wrote our checks to Marine Power. All of our motors are invoived with ID #'s. We met with Marine Power and went over all of our dealings with Walter in detail. Long story short, Everything we have and/or had is legit.
As far as the other comment by froggy, maybe I am just reading to far into it because I feel like shit for recommending Marine Power for some re-power applications.

Lightning
05-05-2004, 02:02 PM
I would never refer to him as "quite a man"
ROFLMAO :D :D

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by OracleSnowboards
Can somebody paste this and put it on the Offshoreonly forum that is a Gold or Platinum member, I can't do it without having to pay. Marine Power is biggest on the East Coast and that is the "***boat" of the EAST coast
Well, the "Owner" in question / The guy getting shafted just made an appearance:D
welcome to ***boat Jon:cool:

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 02:03 PM
H2O, please click here. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=cynicism)

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 02:06 PM
As far as the other comment by froggy, maybe I am just reading to far into...
I don't think so. That seemed like a clear insult to you, your family, and any house pets you may have. I'm pretty sure by the tone that he was making fun of your boat too.

572Daytona
05-05-2004, 02:07 PM
So does the LA boat show check any credentials to ensure that you are an authorized dealer, or could I go there and claim to be an Eliminator dealer and sell my Daytona? I would think they may share some of the liability enabling this guy to commit the fraud.

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 02:07 PM
I don't think so. That seemed like a clear insult to you, your family, and any house pets you may have. I'm pretty sure by the tone that he was making fun of your boat too.
LMAOROTF

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
H2O, please click here. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=cynicism)
Thanks Tom, I updated my signature;) :D

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Humor is always appreciated in my book!!!:D

Scream
05-05-2004, 02:10 PM
LMAO!!!:D :D :D

Lightning
05-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
So does the LA boat show check any credentials to ensure that you are an authorized dealer, or could I go there and claim to be an Eliminator dealer and sell my Daytona? I would think they may share some of the liability enabling this guy to commit the fraud.
How would the LA Show share in any liability?
He's was a rep of the Marine Power company, being paid a salary by Marine Power, at the boat show, in the Marine Power booth.

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a Marine Power issue to me...

572Daytona
05-05-2004, 02:13 PM
How would the LA Show share in any liability?
He's was a rep of the Marine Power company, being paid a salary by Marine Power, at the boat show, in the Marine Power booth.
I hadn't realized that those facts had been established, I thought Marine Power was saying that he wasn't representing him there.

Pointerman
05-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Posted the original post on OSO.

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 02:18 PM
This is definatley the right time, I just gotta question the place?? (lots of other threads to talk shit on)
Dave, are you serious? :confused:
Let me bring you up to speed on what looks to be going on. :)
Walter Albright, son of the owner of Marine Power, has defrauded his father's company as well as customers of Marine Power while acting as an agent of Marine Power. Josh's friend Jon is one of the people who have been abused by Walter.
So far we have a damaged boat, defrauded customer, a few character testimonials on Walter, including your comment on a conversation you had with him in which he shit on John West.
Do you think many more 'facts' are going to come out in this thread? Do they ever?
All we have so far is anecdotal. I think it's a near certainty that's all we'll ever have.
Now... you want to get on the crazy train?
EDIT: toned down since Dave is a buddy. :D

Ziggy
05-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Tom, there is one issue here that hasn't been mentioned other than a quick blurb early on.
He offerred to take back motors under 40hrs and sell them as new again...question is how many of our ***boaters bought one of those "40 hr. new motors" from him? and paid for a zero hour motor thinking they got it out of a crate with a full warranty?
That's just plain ol' F*@ked up:mad:

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Point Taken.. Here Have a muffin. :D
RD
Point taken here as well Dave. :)
Something very serious has happened. We've got a tight little community and it's extremely alluring and believable to have a corporate representative like Walter spell out the seamy details of a 'buddy deal' which, on the surface, looks like a ***boat hook-up. Froggy nailed it in his post.
I don't want to shit on Jon or make light of what has happened but there is little we can do except educate ourselves and not let this ruin our lives. Of course, if there is anything that can be done, I'll help where I can.
Here's my view:
When you hire someone, they become part of your organization. That makes you responsible. From the story presented, Marine Power should step up to the plate and handle this.
If I were in need of an engine package, which I'm not, I would not consider Marine Power. I probably wouldn't have considered it before this incident anyway, so Marine Power hasn't really lost a potential customer. In stead, I'd call up Info and tell him to speak the Queen's English when he recommends mods to my Merc outboard.

Froggystyle
05-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Ummm... I am going to go out on a limb here and call that an amplification of your own statement of...
"I would never give hime a check, made to him or Marine Power, before recieving the product or having an invoice wether I liked him or not. Thats just normal business procedures if you ask me. "
The thing I was referring to is that you said ..."receiving the product OR having an invoice..."
These guys received product. Period. No invoice, though it was promised. The point is, having received product, the customer doesn't feel that they got gyped, or that they had participated in anything except a sanctioned Marine Power transaction. Everything appears above board. That Walter was embezzeling from Marine Power should only affect Marine Power, not the end client who thought that Marine Power was doing the good job, and getting them a good price on a re-power.
Walter is a crook, but the people who bought from him aren't, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Froggystyle
05-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Point taken here, as well Dave. :)
In stead, I'd call up Info and tell him to speak the Queen's English when he recommends mods to my Merc outboard.
Which is essentially what I ended up doing! ;)

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Pointerman
Posted the original post on OSO.
Thanks PointerMan:)

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 02:56 PM
:)
Marine Power
17506 Marine Power Industrial Park
Ponchatoula, LA 70454
PHONE (985) 386 - 2081 FAX: (985) 386-4010
OEM SALES (985) 386 - 2081 EXT: 3014 FAX: (985) 386-4010
ENGINE SALES (985) 386 - 2081 EXT: 3009 FAX: (985) 386-2345
PARTS (985) 386 - 3571 FAX: (985) 386-0076
TOLL FREE: (877) 388-9555
CUSTOMER SERVICE (985) 386 - 2081 EXT: 3010 FAX: (985) 386-4010
Damn, they're closed already, the mailbox if now full:D

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Humor is always appreciated in my book!!!:D
:cool:
By the way, I don't think there's a need to feel bad about recommending Marine Power to folks when you've had good dealings with him. You can only share what you know. That's what makes ***boat so powerful.

CrazyHippy
05-05-2004, 03:12 PM
We can make him Gator Bait... Make Jon feel better, but doesn't help w/ the $7k....
I'd sue the f*ck out of Walter and Marine power.
BJH

HCS
05-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Guy's like that are usually coke heads. My neighbors dad owned
a gas station. He pumped all the free gas he could, and would
take cash from the safe to pay for the performance parts on his
car,and snort as much coke as he could. Until one day his dad
caught on and had his own kid locked up.

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
...one day his dad caught
on and had his own kid locked up.
That's ****ed up but there's nothing else you can do. :(

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 03:38 PM
How do people let there kids get away with this shit?
Too many. That makes the pot right for this sort of thing.

572Daytona
05-05-2004, 03:49 PM
If it was my family and I pulled this shit that Walter pulled.. I'd be in jail, right after I got several ass whippins.. matter of fact I'd be praying to goto jail ASAP.
RD
I don't know Dave, I heard you were selling your Dad's misters out the back door :D

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Tom, there is one issue here that hasn't been mentioned other than a quick blurb early on.
He offerred to take back motors under 40hrs and sell them as new again...question is how many of our ***boaters bought one of those "40 hr. new motors" from him? and paid for a zero hour motor thinking they got it out of a crate with a full warranty?
That's just plain ol' F*@ked up:mad:
I'd also wonder about ordering a boat that used a Marine Power engine. Make sure the boat manufacturer will stand behind the engine if there are problems and Marine Power flakes out.

HCS
05-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Ya, thanks for the misters.:D

1stepcloser
05-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
I don't know Dave, I heard you were selling your Dad's misters out the back door :D
:D LOL:D

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Will you guys be serious? There's a time and place for joking around.

HCS
05-05-2004, 04:00 PM
I'd also wonder about ordering a boat that used a Marine Power engine. Make sure the boat manufacturer will stand behind the engine if there are problems and Marine Power flakes out. Boy, ain't that the truth. They need to be
pinned down and cough up answers.

rvrtoy
05-05-2004, 04:00 PM
:D :D Too funny!!:D :D

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 04:06 PM
TB & 572 I'm rolling:D :D
I think we're passing the $7K in BAD publicity mark, I wonder how long it will take before Marine Power does right for Jon, or GM yanks Marine Power's distribution agreement for selling engines to private parties below wholesale.

1stepcloser
05-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Will you guys be serious? There's a time and place for joking around.
Are you kidding Tom? :confused:
Let me bring you up to speed on what looks to be going on.
Dave Johnson, son of the owner of an unknown machining company, has defrauded his father's company as well as customers of an unknown machining business while acting as an agent of an unknown machining business. Several members of this board have been abused by Dave.
So far we have several different observations, fairly cool misters, a few character testimonials on Dave, including your comment on a conversation you had with him in which he accepted your well made point.
Do you think many more 'facts' are going to come out in this thread? Do they ever?
All we have so far is anecdotal. I think it's a near certainty that's all we'll ever have.
Now... you want to get on the crazy train?
:D

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 04:10 PM
****! Caught in my own web. :eek:
LMAO! :D :D :D

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 04:15 PM
It's all fun and games until you get shafted for $7K:( I'll be using my free long distance miniutes for the next few months tying up Marine Power's phone lines.
Where is Walter anyway?? Isn't he gonna respond to this thread? If JBB got a puter installed in his swampland, don't ya think Louisiana has internet access by now:confused:
I'd like to hear from ANYONE who represents Marine Power USA
H20=> waiting

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-05-2004, 04:18 PM
so would we.. :mad: what a bunch of f**king losers.. I hate when people say one thing and do another.. don't screw with a mans boat..:mad:

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Or a woman's boat;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Or a woman's boat;)
:D :D you are so right..;)

Tom Brown
05-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Dave Johnson, son of the owner of an unknown machining company...
His dad's company makes some kick ass billet bird cages.

Her454
05-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Or a woman's boat;)
Thank you. :):)

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 05:42 PM
All you need to do is plug in this little gameboy lookin deal to the motors computer and it'll tell you the hours:)
I wonder how many motors are in ***boaters' Boats that are still in inventory/stolen from Marine Power:confused:

rposton1
05-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Dam that Sucks big time! Now I'm freaked out too I pick up my boat in a week or so, I'm getting the 502 marine power Carburated version, is there a way to check the hours on a motor that does not have a ECU? Well I guess I will be calling Shockwave tomorrow to see if there is some way to verify that I'm getting a fresh motor.:frown: ....Robert

superdave013
05-05-2004, 07:07 PM
RD
You should meet the owner's kid where I work. He's just like that Walter ****. If I was not grossly over paid I would have kicked him in the junk years ago. It did work out in the end. It took 16 years but I did get to see his ass get fired by his daddy! :)
It's been about 5 months now and I still see our inventory pop up on e bay now and then (like when he needs crack money).
So if you see a big Allen Bradly AC drive (ya know, the 15K model) on e bay for 35 bucks it was prolly taken out of the place I work. :mad:

Mandelon
05-05-2004, 07:32 PM
http://www.marinepowerusa.com/
There is a contact button on the upper right. Please make appropriate use of it.

bordsmnj
05-05-2004, 08:04 PM
almost bought a motor off of walter for the cat we were gonna build. i wonder if i'd still have a warrenty !? don't know if it would have been on the up and up now. won't be looking at there motors next year. new 40hr motors? **** that. sorry to hear of this guy's misfortune in dealing with this crap. i'm also sorry i was one of the one's who had good things to say about them on here.hopefully they'll make things right and save they're name.

Daytona100
05-05-2004, 09:00 PM
This is why I dont trust anybody. Well only my best buddy who,s as meticulous as I am. To work on my boat. The only thing I subletted to a reputable shop they messed up. Put me on the trailer my first trip. Went back to BITCH and they totally sidestepped any responsibility. Wanted to charge me 300.00 to fix there f-up. Fixed it myself in a couple hours. Ime sure there are lots of qualified people on these boards who can hook you up.

C-2
05-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Damn, I decide to go to work for one day and look what I miss :rolleyes:
My observations and unfounded opinions only:
Hmmmm……
Didn’t they supply the majority of motors to the builder who recently went b.k.? Maybe they got left with a large unpaid bill? Maybe the time is right for them too? What is the timing for all this in relation to this deal?
Lotsa potentially libelous statements being made in this thread if they cannot be proven to be true. Maybe now is a good time to be sure you have a good liability insurance umbrella (usually through your homeowners insurance) that will defend you against libelous statements (and assault too in case that neighborhood BBQ goes south). Cyber libel is still unproven legal territory.
And oh yeah, WHO WAS THE CHECK WRITTEN TO?

RiverPirate
05-05-2004, 09:21 PM
With all of the B S going on with so many companies stealing or flaking out on their customers I have been using my B of A VISA card for payment or deposit. Anytime someone screws you or you have a beef with them it only takes one phone call to B of A and they will almiost instantly recover your payment from the merchant you have the beef with. As long as they accept a credit card the bank can instantly reimburse themselves. You then fill out a 2 page questioneer explaining the circumstances of the problem. The bank then contacts the business establishment and informs them of your complaint or problem. It is then the businesses responsability / burden to prove that THEY didn't f**k you and only then with your approval do they pay the company. I have done this on 3 different occassions and it worked out great everytime. I returned the product and received a full refund. Most companies don't want to fight with the bank. Too much time and efffort. B of A worked the smoothest. The others worked but it took more work on my part but I ultimately prevailed every time.
Good luck.

Debbolas
05-05-2004, 09:42 PM
I am sorry this happened to your friend. I posted an e-mail to the company. It's weird, I have never met you all but I feel like you are my friends and no one should do that to our friends.
Tom Brown is right, this is a powerful forum. Everyone should post a comment. I am sure they will decide the $7000 is NOT worth all the negative publicity.
;)

H20 Party Starter
05-05-2004, 10:46 PM
If Jon had left with his boat from Dana when there was a new 572 sitting in it 4/12/2004 (stolen by Walter) You can bet MarinePower would go after Jon for the balance due on the motor no matter if Walter was still an employee or not. But now that Walter is gone and Jon got his boat back after 4 months with nothing but dirt and scratches to show for it, Marine power takes NO responsibility.
As for the comments about "Libelous statements"....
I talked to walter on the phone for almost 30 miniutes on 4/7/2004 in the middle of this deal, He told me then about the impound issue "I ****ed up, and when I **** up I admit it"
Well, now Walter Albright from Marine Power USA REALLY messed-up and isn't around to do anything about it. He, on behalf of Marine Power STOLE money period.
I welcome Walter Albright aka "MP Performance" here on ***boat, to post a reply,
I further wish for anyone who knows his dad personally or as a client to ask if all this is true;)
The Truth will Prevail!...... but will the company make it right?

C-2
05-06-2004, 07:20 AM
H20
To clarify, I'm not being a smartass. Just offering some cheap and sound wisdom, actually not to you since you seem to know the facts.
If this thing continues to go south, I can help your friend in many ways. A few people on this board can attest to that.
I'm on your side :)

rrrr
05-06-2004, 08:30 AM
****! Caught in my own web. :eek:
LMAO! :D :D :D
Tom, how old were you when your parents first noticed something was wrong?
:D :D
This is a ****ed up deal, $7K isn't pocket change.

Screaming Pete
05-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Cigarettes, Stripers, and booze!!:rolleyes:
At least we know the money went to good use!!
H2o good luck on this one sounds like talking to C-2 could be of some help. i bet the other motor builders are having a field day on this one.

HCS
05-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Goes back to the old saying. If the deal is to good to be true.
It probably isn't.

OGShocker
05-06-2004, 08:59 AM
I told you guy's this was going to be BIG.
Jon got laid wide open on this deal. Many others in the So. Cal. boating world did as well. I know the MP rep' ( I don't use his name anymore) lurks in here and fears the power of Hot Boat Forums.
I have not had contact with MP's former rep' since one day before his downfall. I can tell you all, the biggest losers in this deal is his wife and daughter. He is a lying POS. F**k MP's Rep' and F**k Marine Performance. That Jackass has put two lovely ladies in one hell of a place.
Everyone here needs to remember I DO NOT work for Dana. I am a customer and a friend of Dana's owner,Tom.
Dana Performance Boats did everything possible to help Jon on this deal. Although Dana had NO responsiblity in this deal, they stepped up to the plate to help a fellow boater get back on the water. You want to know why I bought a Dana? Why?, because Tom gives a damn about this industry.
My .02
OGS

Screaming Pete
05-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Wouldn't it be great if all of the boat builders cancled thier orders or at least help up this payments till Marine Power righted this wrong.

Tom Brown
05-06-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete
Wouldn't it be great if all of the boat builders cancled thier orders or at least help up this payments till Marine Power righted this wrong.
I think it would be better if someone were to track the money and paper trails as far as they will go and try to determine actual responsibility from hard facts. Then, saw the balls off those responsible.
It really sounds like Jon got screwed but right now this is just a story on the internet.
rrrr, I think they realized something was wrong shortly after the doctor said, "Hey... this baby has a second umbilical chord that isn't connected. :confused: "

Screaming Pete
05-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Your problay right I just thought it was a cool thing to see happen, Just not likely to happen

HCS
05-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Everytime I read this thread I just think. Shaking my head (the
one on my shoulders T.B.) What a ****ed up deal. That's enough
doe to find a good hit man.

topless
05-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Well look what I found. Looks like ole walters phone number.
337-781-6825
I wonder how long it will take to fill up his answering service.

topless
05-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Funny, I just called it and it went to his voice mail. even said it was Walter with Marine Power. I think you dialed wrong.

HCS
05-06-2004, 12:03 PM
What kind of message are you guys leaving?
Something like. Your a dead MF.

Lightning
05-06-2004, 12:03 PM
His phone has not been working for the last month or so, they must have just paid the bill so he can start receiving calls.

Froggystyle
05-06-2004, 12:30 PM
His phone has not been working for the last month or so, they must have just paid the bill so he can start receiving calls.
"...yeah, I do appologize about that..." :mad:

Lightning
05-06-2004, 12:58 PM
"...yeah, I do appologize about that..." :mad:
"....that's my bad....."

topless
05-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Darn, that mailbox is full. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Debbolas
05-06-2004, 01:24 PM
I have an idea............why can't we apply the pressure and force we have used in this thread (calling and e-mailing) agianst the Marina in Havasu? You think if they get like 100 e-mails and phone calls they won't think twice about fireing that guy?
Just a thought....
;)

BoatFloating
05-06-2004, 01:37 PM
The word has it the Walter was fired...... Dave another intresting thing I heard is him and John West were friends and drinking buddies and you said that was now talking shit about John. No wonder Walter has no friends.

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 01:55 PM
"Walter Albright" no longer works for the company...
Lee Albright (Walter's Uncle) is in charge of West coast deals right now 501-250-5258. He is a former co-owner who was sent out by Walter's daddy to do an audit when Walter was fired.
I think they know about this thread, OSO and RRL;)

rvrtoy
05-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
The word has it the Walter was fired...... Dave another intresting thing I heard is him and John West were friends and drinking buddies and you said that was now talking shit about John. No wonder Walter has no friends.
John West and Walter were not drinking buddies (John doesn't drink) and they are not or were not friends. Walter represented one of our suppliers. We were friendly to him and that is where the relationship ended!
By the way if you are lurking here Walter, You are a good for nothing pile of shit!!! Your wife should have never gone back to you!! Now you not only ****ed up your life, but your wife and daughters lives too!! I hope you do some SERIOUS jail time with "Tiny" as your cell mate. Then we'll see who gets ****ed in the ass then!!!!:yuk: :mad:

rvrtoy
05-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Well I guess we know where you stand on the issue?? Do'nt ya think you oughta tone it down just a hair as you guys will probably maintain some sort of biz relationship with marine power?
RD
This is not about marine power. This is about Walter. A good for nothing thief that used his families good business name to scam people. At this point if his family doesn't know he is a pile of shit then maybe this will open up thier eyes.

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Lee sounded like the company was still very tight w/ ULTRA, he said that MP's "new location" was going to hopefully be very close to the ULTRA shop. Since Jon's boat is an ULTRA, and since he was nice enough to lend it to ULTRA to drag out to Havasu in 2001 to do a ***boat photo shoot without him, I think maybe they would try to help leverage the situation to help a current and future ULTRA customer:confused: :confused:
***boat swimsuit edition 2001, Jon's Ultra 27' 1st boat pictured in the swimsuit layout.

KYJELLY
05-06-2004, 03:47 PM
I just got done talking to Lee and he says he is aware of the situation and is " sure" MP will take care of it, I have free nights and weekends so I called every voice mail I could get a hold of at MP.
I got your back Jon.
KY

rvrtoy
05-06-2004, 03:51 PM
I am confused. What does mp's new location have to do with Jons boat being an Ultra?
I'm sure that Jon has told you that I gave him some information on who to call and who to talk to try and get this whole situation resolved.
It was very nice of Jon to allow us to use his boat for the swimsuit issue of ***boat. He has been a good customer and in turn we have been good to him.
*Side note: To whom was the check written?

BoatFloating
05-06-2004, 03:54 PM
John West and Walter were not drinking buddies (John doesn't drink) and they are not or were not friends. Walter represented one of our suppliers. We were friendly to him and that is where the relationship ended!
By the way if you are lurking here Walter, You are a good for nothing pile of shit!!! Your wife should have never gone back to you!! Now you not only ****ed up your life, but your wife and daughters lives too!! I hope you do some SERIOUS jail time with "Tiny" as your cell mate. Then we'll see who gets ****ed in the ass then!!!!:yuk: :mad:
Hey don't shoot the messenger. I was told this by a person who Walter dealt with and it was he that said he was tight with John West and were drinking buddies John doesn't drink water or soda? We know what Walter says is BS so I was reporting what was said. Lighten up a little, your taking this harder that the guy who got screwed.

Lightning
05-06-2004, 04:00 PM
*Side note: To whom was the check written?
That's what I'm saying, why has that question not been answered - or has it and perhaps I glanced over the answer in the last 7 pages. Regardless of who wrote what and said what to whom, I hope this situation gets settled - it's effed any way you look at it.

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Does it matter that the Boat was IMPOUNDED while in the custody of a MARINEPOWER REP while it was SUPPOSED to be at MARINEPOWER's shitty little back of another shop location:confused: :confused:

rvrtoy
05-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Hey don't shoot the messenger. I was told this by a person who Walter dealt with and it was he that said he was tight with John West and were drinking buddies John doesn't drink water or soda? We know what Walter says is BS so I was reporting what was said. Lighten up a little, your taking this harder that the guy who got screwed.
I'm not trying to be defensive. I'm just trying to be clear with my opinions and observations.
I am not shooting the messenger. Just straightening out the facts.

rvrtoy
05-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Does it matter that the Boat was IMPOUNDED while in the custody of a MARINEPOWER REP while it was SUPPOSED to be at MARINEPOWER's shitty little back of another shop location:confused: :confused:
Yes it does!!!!
Marine power should take care of that situation. I agree with you 100%.
The person who got paid to supply a motor should supply a motor. Now who got paid? Walter or Marine Power? Since you have repeatedly side stepped this question, should I call Jon myself and post his responce?

BoatFloating
05-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Yes can we please answer the $20,000 dollar question.
Who was the check made out to.

topless
05-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Yes can we please answer the $20,000 dollar question.
Who was the check made out to.
LMAO.........how many times has that question been asked and not answered?

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Check was made to Walter Albright at the Marine power booth at the LA boat show. I thought this was covered on pg1

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 04:16 PM
So should I start a new thread about how to get $7k out of WALTER ALBRIGHT in Louisiana?
sorry pg2

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 04:19 PM
By the way if you are lurking here Walter, You are a good for nothing pile of shit!!! Your wife should have never gone back to you!! Now you not only ****ed up your life, but your wife and daughters lives too!! I hope you do some SERIOUS jail time with "Tiny" as your cell mate. Then we'll see who gets ****ed in the ass then!!!!:yuk: :mad: [/B]
I think this is the best part of the whole thread;) :D

BoatFloating
05-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Check was made to Walter Albright at the Marine power booth at the LA boat show. I thought this was covered on pg1
Thanks, now that's answered. That was dumb! Not trying to be a ass but that had to sound fishy.....:confused: :confused:

rvrtoy
05-06-2004, 04:23 PM
I think this is the best part of the whole thread;) :D
I know your friend got ****ed. It sucks. I feel bad for him. I think the bottom line is he needs to file charges against Walter, not bash marine power.

jbtrailerjim
05-06-2004, 04:25 PM
I hate to say it but if that's who he made the check out to. I don't think your friend is gonna have much luck getting money out of Marine Power. I hope I'm wrong and they help your friend out but I don't think legally they are obligated to pay him back or give him a motor. That should have been a big red flag when Walter asked for the check to be made out to himself and not Marine Power.

Rexone
05-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but this should have been a huge clue something was up. Expecially with the dollar amount involved.
If you walked into the Rex Marine booth and one of my employees asked you to just make out the check for parts in their name would that not trigger some level of suspecion something might not be on the up and up? And make you wonder if you'd actually be getting any parts?
Just an observation and I'm in no way defending or attacking Walter or Marine Power in this as I don't even know him. Just seems like a common sense thing.

Rexone
05-06-2004, 04:30 PM
And it seems like the question sure took a long time to get answered. Perhaps the beef here should be with Walter and not Marine Power. Again, an observation only based on what I've read.
Sounds like Walter not only scammed your friend but Marine Power as well for using their name to hide behind.

LaveyJet
05-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
And it seems like the question sure took a long time to get answered. Perhaps the beef here should be with Walter and not Marine Power. Again, an observation only based on what I've read.
But Walter IS Marine Power, or at least he was. It was their choice to have him represent their company. They had a hand in making this mess, now they should clean it up.

Rexone
05-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by LaveyJet
But Walter IS Marine Power, or at least he was. It was their choice to have him represent their company. They had a hand in making this mess, now they should clean it up.
That may very will be true but...
Being the check was not written to Marine Power legally I think the guy is on weak ground. And don't misinterpret that as meaning it's right. But it may be reality.
If I was placed in this position I'd pay the customer and then go after my employee with both barrels. But that's just me. Everyone may not share that philosophy.

KYJELLY
05-06-2004, 04:40 PM
If your son was working the counter, and defrauded a customer while acting as an agent for your company the law might have something to say, but hey what do I know I only have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and am starting Law School in the fall.
Just giving ya shit, I think we all agree Walter is a scum bag, I can only hope MP is willing to do the right thing.
KY
PS I spoke to Lee and he seems genuinely nice , And from what I hear his dad is a class act as well.

Rexone
05-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by KYJELLY
If your son was working the counter, and defrauded a customer while acting as an agent for your company the law might have something to say
If there was anything left to speak to after I got finished with him. :D

Froggystyle
05-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but this should have been a huge clue something was up. Expecially with the dollar amount involved.
If you walked into the Rex Marine booth and one of my employees asked you to just make out the check for parts in their name would that not trigger some level of suspecion something might not be on the up and up? And make you wonder if you'd actually be getting any parts?
Just an observation and I'm in no way defending or attacking Walter or Marine Power in this as I don't even know him. Just seems like a common sense thing.
Yeah, but Mike, what if I got a great deal from YOU, and you asked me to write a check out to Mike Guardalebene.
Different story. Of course I would. Your company, right?
Would I write a check to Dustin Whipple, instead of Whipple Industries? Ummmm... Yeah. Especially if he told me that it was a rebuild that he took in on trade or something.
I am talking out of my ass. I wouldn't, and didn't write a check to Walter and not Marine Power. I hope that the fact that it was written to one of the perceived owners of the company and not the company itself has nothing to do with whether or not they get taken care of properly. This could ruin Marine Power if they don't make up the distance.

Mandelon
05-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Good will is priceless. I bend over backwards to take care of my customers. Your business is built on your reputation........

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Funny how everyone in the business has the same last name ALBRIGHT..... and they can all sell MARINE POWER motors, but now they won't cover the actions of one of their own family and workers. ESPECIALLY the impounded boat and all the scratches. The tow company towed it with a NON-towable cover to it. Can you imagine the marks in the gel from the metal tie-down hooks flapping on gelcoat. I CAN, I SAW THEM last weekend:mad: 4 different 1 foot circles on the sides where there is NO GEL LEFT

Mr.Havasu
05-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Good will is priceless. I bend over backwards to take care of my customers. Your business is built on your reputation........
Amen to that!

GrapeApe
05-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by warlock25
Amen to that!
Speaking of Customer Service... I received my order from Warlock25 today.. no charge, and no problems for a mis-shipped item.. thanks guys...
*** Grape Ape ***

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Boat + Impound = someone should pay:mad:

Rev. Ronnie
05-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Bottom line=never let your shit out of your site...period.
If you absolutley have to, wait till the engine is done, then bring your boat to the install site and monitor the work DAILY.
If they have a problem with that, tell em' to pound sand
I'll build you that 572, dyno tested, warrantied, built one at a time, right here in my shop, by myself, to the specs that individually suit your application.
That is the other thing, if they can't show you the equipment, they can't build your engine.

rrrr
05-06-2004, 10:03 PM
If I was placed in this position I'd pay the customer and then go after my employee with both barrels. But that's just me. Everyone may not share that philosophy.
A few weeks ago one of the subcontractors I employ showed how skilled he is by backing into the 2004 'Vette owned by the company's CEO.
I called my sub twice and left messages about the insurance claim, with no reply. Today I was preparing to FedEx a check to the guy for the repairs when bright boy finally called me and said he had taken care of things.
Point? When push comes to shove, the reputation of your business is what keeps 'em coming back. I don't give a damn about the story MP has to offer about a bad egg in the family. Making this problem go away is cheap compared to the damage being done by people that HAVE A LEGITIMATE PROBLEM.
Your move, MP.

HCS
05-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a bad bad bad bad deal. Made the check out wrong.
Why would you pay for service up front?:confused:
I never pay for jack unless the job is done.
I could see someone requiring a deposit, but 5000.00 up front,
made out to a person and not a company! No way! either way!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cas
05-07-2004, 08:56 AM
my $.02
I'm with Rexone on this but do believe Walter was an agent of the company being he was at the boat show accepting checks.
I think there is a lot of recourse but could be time consuming.
This is another good example to all of us to get receipts, put things in writing, take notes and whatever else you can do to protect yourself from fraud.
IRS would probably like to hear about this one too.......

BUSTI
05-07-2004, 09:15 AM
RiverDave is right.how can a dad let his son do a thing like that? I work with family and my son is my business partner, I know what kind of man he is and what kind of business he transacts. Lucky for me he is a man of integrity and he means what he says and does what he says.
My son is no stranger I know what he is like........so does this Walter's father know what he is like. This talk about Marine Power's owner also being a possible victim of Walter is a load of crap!
I just bet this isn't the first shitty thing this loser has done in the name of Marine Power.....we just don't know of it. His father obviously knew he was out here on the West Coast doing something. I don't buy the notion that Marine Power didn't know what this asshole was capable of. They knew and didn't do shit about it. And if they didn't know how stupid are they? How could this asshole have a Marine Power booth at the LA Boat Show and them not know?
They knew and by their lack of action to protect themselves and possible customers from this asshole the are as guilty as Walter. With him out of the home facility out of state they probably were just glad the jerk was out of their hair. If my son was capable of such criminal behavior I would warn everybody I do business with to watch out for him. I would call everybody I do business with, email evrybody I knew and other wise advice all the people that have taken me 25 years to build my business with .......
LOOK OUT THIS ASSHOLE SON OF MINE DOES NOT REPRESENT ME OR MY COMPANY! AND AT FIRST NOTICE OF HIS INVOLVEMENT WITH SOMETHING LIKE THE LA BOAT SHOW I WOULD BE ON THE FIRST AIRPLANE OUT TO LOS ANGELES AND I'D SHUT THAT BOOTH DOWN ASAP!
Walter's father is as guilty as Walter in my books. I just emailed 50 people that own boats or boat shops that I know are not on these boards to advise them beware of Marine Power and the idiots that may work for their company!:yuk: :o

BrendellaJet
05-07-2004, 09:34 AM
I know your friend got ****ed. It sucks. I feel bad for him. I think the bottom line is he needs to file charges against Walter, not bash marine power.
The Law:
"CCC 2300. An agency is ostensible when the principal intentionally, or by want of ordinary care, causes a third person to believe another to be his agent who is not really employed by him."
Question? Did Marine power have a professional prescence at the show, something that would lead people to beleive that the company was being represented by products and employees? Was Walter Working there? If so Marine Power is likely at fault.
The Law:
"CCC 2318. Every agent has actually such authority as is defined by this Title, unless specially deprived thereof by his principal, and has even then such authority ostensibly, except as to persons who have actual or constructive notice of the restriction upon his authority."
"CCC 2320. An agent has power to disobey instructions in dealing with the subject of the agency, in cases where it is clearly for the interest of his principal that he should do so, and there is not time to communicate with the principal."
Walter likley wouldn't have the authority to have customers write the check out to him, as opposed to the company. You friend definitely wins bonehead of the year award. This is definitely something that needs to be questioned by people entering into a contractual agreement. If Walter was in fact at the show , wearing their logo, and in their booth, he'll likely get his money back. The fact that The check was made out to Walter is Marine Powers problem.

Krumbsnatcher
05-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Rev. Ronnie
Bottom line=never let your shit out of your site...period.
If you absolutley have to, wait till the engine is done, then bring your boat to the install site and monitor the work DAILY.
If they have a problem with that, tell em' to pound sand
I'll build you that 572, dyno tested, warrantied, built one at a time, right here in my shop, by myself, to the specs that individually suit your application.
That is the other thing, if they can't show you the equipment, they can't build your engine.
Nice shop!

C-2
05-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Walter likley wouldn't have the authority to have customers write the check out to him, as opposed to the company. You friend definitely wins bonehead of the year award. This is definitely something that needs to be questioned by people entering into a contractual agreement. If Walter was in fact at the show , wearing their logo, and in their booth, he'll likely get his money back. The fact that The check was made out to Walter is Marine Powers problem.
I agree that he stands a good chance of getting his money back if this thing turns legal. Had the check been written to Marine Power, it would have been a slam dunk. Still, there is enough information to establish this guy was still acting on behalf of Marine Power.
Marine Power is totally responsible for this deal, they should take care of the problem.

CrazyHippy
05-07-2004, 11:55 AM
I'm collecting door knobs, and already have the pillow case... Anyone have an address, oh and alot of gas money.
BJH:D

Dave C
05-07-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree with Brendella.
Sounds like Marine power is liable if it can be demonstrated that Walter was acting as an agent. Especially since he was an agent before and during the transaction and maybe even a principal.
BTW, that would be taxable income to Walter and you should report it as such. He probably won't pay tax on it so he will have the IRS after him too and they are like an 800 lb gorilla when it comes to money.

tomahawk
05-07-2004, 01:21 PM
MARINE POWER WEST COAST
6210 Industrial Avenue
Riverside, CA 92504
(909)343-0072
Fax (909)689-2993
How about we start calling them, and causing some trouble?

ratso
05-07-2004, 01:45 PM
This reminds me of some motorcycle dealer in Bryan Texas that was shafting people...
Beware...the wrath of the internet.:)

Tom Brown
05-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by CrazyHippy
I'm collecting door knobs, and already have the pillow case... Anyone have an address, oh and alot of gas money.
BJH:D
Put me in for a couple of pounds of wood screws.

lucky
05-07-2004, 01:51 PM
; what bastards - did they flee to canada ?

H20 Party Starter
05-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by tomahawk
MARINE POWER WEST COAST
6210 Industrial Avenue
Riverside, CA 92504
(909)343-0072
Fax (909)689-2993
How about we start calling them, and causing some trouble?
That will only get you to Lee, Walter's uncle.
CALL THIS NUMBER (985) 386 - 2081 AND ASK FOR "WALTER'S DADDY" or anyone named MR. ALBRIGHT. Ask him what they're doing about refunding the impound fees and the $5K???
Only the power of the people can help now before legal action is taken.
So far MarinePower's position is this. --If you have a motor from a deal w/ walter they will give you a chance to pay full retail price for the motor aside from any previous agreement, and never do business with them again.
If you have no motor (aka no leverage in their eyes) then they will not honor any deals/payments etc. and have told Jon there is no way they will do ANYTHING for him, including selling him a motor at full price minus the $7 already spent....not that he wants one.
:mad:
Please call and leave a message w/ the receptionest for the president to "fix the problem" CALL THIS NUMBER (985) 386 - 2081
Thanks guys and girls:)

mirvin
05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Time for legal action. I don't see how you can't win this in court. He should be able to get all of his money back and win damages to pay for legal fees easy.
mirvin - not a lawer:)

HCS
05-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Time for legal action. I don't see how you can't win this in court. He should be able to get all of his money back and win damages to pay for legal fees easy.
mirvin - not a lawer:)
That's what I'd do. I wouldn't **** around one more second.
Get your case together, make it solid and GO TO COURT.

H20 Party Starter
05-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Judge Judy:confused:

C-2
05-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Judge Judy has clerks that actually visit the small claims courts every week, looking for interesting cases.
I had a lawyer friend solicited by them.

BoatPI
05-07-2004, 02:20 PM
What we have here is straight up embezzlement. Marine Power is the first vicitm, the relative, acting as an agent (employee) for Marine Power, embezzeled (grand theft) stole the money from the customer. Since the employee was representing Marine Power, thus acting as their agent, Marine Power truly is responsible for the internal theft of the $5,000.
I would suggest writing a letter of demand, mail it certified, to the compnay president. Detail your losses, and demand payment in full by a specific date or legal action will take place.
This is known as a drop dead letter, or final notice. Judges in civil courts appricate this step as it serves as proof that you made at least one attempt to settle or contact the owner. Spell out that they were the vicitm of embezzlement, and in the real world they should be making a theft report with the police agency in the jurisdiction where the money exchanged hands.
It seems that an attorney seeking damages in civil court will be The remedy to this serial. It appears that the compnay has closed their eyes to this internal theft. Call it what you want, but that is what occurred based upon what I have read. Mail the letter, then get an attorney.
the statute of limitations is running, and why wait.
My 2 cents.

HCS
05-07-2004, 02:27 PM
I don't know if I would go with judge Judy. He should find a friend
somewhere that's a lawyer and get some advise on how exacty
to approach the case.

BrendellaJet
05-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Dave C
I agree with Brendella.
Sounds like Marine power is liable if it can be demonstrated that Walter was acting as an agent. Especially since he was an agent before and during the transaction and maybe even a principal.
BTW, that would be taxable income to Walter and you should report it as such. He probably won't pay tax on it so he will have the IRS after him too and they are like an 800 lb gorilla when it comes to money.
LOL, 1099 the asshole. We could all make a 1099 for him (dont give any info that could identify you,) but if they got enough of them, the IRS would fry him. Sucks for his old lady and kid, if the old lady is cute, she can come stay with me.
Ill call that # right now. If we all do it, I bet your friend has a check by the end of next week.

BrendellaJet
05-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Damn, they are closed. Lets call on Monday!!!

HCS
05-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BoatPI
What we have here is straight up embezzlement. Marine Power is the first vicitm, the relative, acting as an agent (employee) for Marine Power, embezzeled (grand theft) stole the money from the customer. Since the employee was representing Marine Power, thus acting as their agent, Marine Power truly is responsible for the internal theft of the $5,000.
I would suggest writing a letter of demand, mail it certified, to the compnay president. Detail your losses, and demand payment in full by a specific date or legal action will take place.
This is known as a drop dead letter, or final notice. Judges in civil courts appricate this step as it serves as proof that you made at least one attempt to settle or contact the owner. Spell out that they were the vicitm of embezzlement, and in the real world they should be making a theft report with the police agency in the jurisdiction where the money exchanged hands.
It seems that an attorney seeking damages in civil court will be The remedy to this serial. It appears that the compnay has closed their eyes to this internal theft. Call it what you want, but that is what occurred based upon what I have read. Mail the letter, then get an attorney.
the statute of limitations is running, and why wait.
My 2 cents.
There you go. That's what you need. Perfect advice.:)

Tom Brown
05-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Judge Judy:confused:
She is so hot. I'd like to bang her ass with my pelvis until she sweetens.

tomahawk
05-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Please call and leave a message w/ the receptionest for the president to "fix the problem" CALL THIS NUMBER (985) 386 - 2081
Thanks guys and girls:)
Consider it done......:mad:

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Tom your going to make Topless jelous!
lol ;)

topless
05-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Yea Tom you ****!

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 02:53 PM
LOL :D
(except he likes it when you talk that way)
;)

topless
05-07-2004, 02:55 PM
He's spankin it right now.

Tom Brown
05-07-2004, 02:58 PM
:D

AzDon
05-07-2004, 04:43 PM
If nobody else has suggested it, let me suggest that you contact GM about the honesty of this dealer (MP) You wouldn't think GM would want these guys as a dealer if they knew about this!

KYJELLY
05-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Have YOU called or emailed MP yet?
If this were you wouldnt you want other people to show their support?
Lets stand up for eachother.
KY

H20 Party Starter
05-08-2004, 09:47 PM
hey Kyle.... is you boat fixed yet?:confused:

manuel
05-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Offshoreonly.com has a forum section called the BAD BUSINESS LIST
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=141

TPI
05-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Some of these engine/boat mfg's must have some sales guys talking a pretty good line. I hate to hear of boaters continually getting screwed over by dishonest marine businesses. It sounds like there are a few out there. Go get em!

sorry dog
05-10-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm betting Tom's dream fantasy is a catfight over him between Martha and Judge Judy --- with Topless as the ref. Then all three bang him in the pelvis so hard he never eats another bran muffin.

Dave C
05-10-2004, 08:12 AM
exactly.
Originally posted by Her454
...even if they felt they were not, with the power of the internet it would be to their best business interest to resolve the problem with the customer FIRST due to the amount of business they are losing each time someone posts. "

topless
05-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by sorry dog
I'm betting Tom's dream fantasy is a catfight over him between Martha and Judge Judy --- with Topless as the ref. Then all three bang him in the pelvis so hard he never eats another bran muffin.
Tom really just wants me to talk dirty to him so he talks about other women to piss me off. **** you Tom you ****!!!:D

mirvin
05-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Uhhh, I think we've gotta a little off track here.......
H20, any movement here???
mirvin

Lightning
05-12-2004, 02:23 PM
So what's the latest on this deal ? ? ? ?
Has anything changed since the thread was started?
Has Marine Power made any offers?
Has anyone heard from Walter?
Have any other motor manufacturers or boat builders offered a deal so he can get on the water?

H20 Party Starter
05-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Still getting the shaft:mad:
Looks like legal action is deffinate, but we want to make sure the IRS and BBB get involved anyway.
Phone calls to MP will help still.
Thanks

Lightning
05-13-2004, 09:05 AM
I can't believe that they haven't nutted up and offered atleast his money back?
RD
That's what I was thinking, bunch of bs if you ask me.