PDA

View Full Version : How to clean the boat cover

Ivan Dan
05-05-2004, 10:32 PM
What is the best way to do this? Laundromat? Or just lay it out on the driveway and scrub it and let it dry?
Thanks!

RiverToysJas
05-05-2004, 10:35 PM
I always sprayed mine off in the driveway with my old boat. I haven't cleaned the Lavey's cover yet, but I plan to soon.
My plan is to bring it to the spray and wash near my marina in Needles, after I've launched the boat. I'll spray it off with soap from the high pressure washer, then bring it back and strap it to the trailer to dry in the river heat.
IF the ground is deemed too dirty at the spray and wash, I'll have to think of something else though.
I'll report back how that all goes.....
RTJas :D

Rexone
05-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
Or just lay it out on the driveway and scrub it and let it dry?
Thanks!
I do this.
Whatever you do don't put it in a dryer. They shrink.

mtndewdrops
05-06-2004, 05:01 AM
Is there a better way?
I start by hosing off the driveway and spread out the cover to scrub it with a stiff brush and some mild detergent. Afterwards, I put the cover back on the boat to dry and form back to the correct shape. Once the cover drys, I take it back off to wipe down the boat again. Then finally put the cover back on...whew.

Stupid Fast
05-06-2004, 05:26 AM
I power wash the driveway....then I lay it out then mine power washer has the soap injetor so I use awning cleaner, then rince it off then I put it on the boat wet because mine seems to shrink. Then when it is dry I lay it over the deck railing and spray it with a waterproofing, then I let it dry and I am done. Looks good....and repels water.....

Debbolas
05-06-2004, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the info...........we need to clean ours. We had fires in the hills behind our house and there is so much dirt and dust, that if we clean the boat, then put the cover on (not the snap-down one) it gets the boat dirty...:mad:

Mr.Havasu
05-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Some Laundry mats in town have washers big enough to handle a 30' cover. In Havasu the laundry mat on Freemont just north of the new Bashes has the big washers or you can leave it with them and they will do it for around $20.00. I've never used their service yet but I talked to the owner and that's the price she quoted me as a detailer. So I'm not sure how or if they dry them them or if shrinkage will be a problem.

Chase
05-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Thanks for the info...........we need to clean ours. We had fires in the hills behind our house and there is so much dirt and dust, that if we clean the boat, then put the cover on (not the snap-down one) it gets the boat dirty...:mad:
Don't you just hate the snaps.......:D :D :D :D Just a little shot back to a thread posted in the recent past.....

Ntwotrance
05-06-2004, 06:42 AM
I clean the driveway, lay out the cover, spray it with Simple Green, let it set for about 20 minutes, then use Dawn Dishwashing liquid to scrub...

welk2party
05-06-2004, 08:00 AM
My boat cover sucks! It needs some major mods and a cleaning.

GrapeApe
05-06-2004, 08:21 AM
I think I am Anal.. I bought a Big Ass Blue Tarp, just to cover My Boat and Cover when its on the Boat... Those Fires From October still drop Ash at our house on a Windy Day...
*** Grape Ape ***

Debbolas
05-06-2004, 12:26 PM
We had the worst time washing all that black stuff off !!
Chase: Snap Down Covers are Good (say it with me)
lol :D
Grape Ape, be carefull about storing your boat with a blue tarp on top.(for a long time) We did that one year, over our grey boat cover (that is breathable) and something bad happend, I don't remember what. I guess the boat needs to breath....
;)

GrapeApe
05-06-2004, 01:11 PM
The boat, Carpet Etc, has to be dry inside the Boat, or the mosture cant escape.. Then it will smell like Ass.. Been there done that...:D
*** Grape Ape ***

Debbolas
05-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Is that what it was? I think mold grew, or something, after that, we stored the boat with the breathable cover.....
(uh, not that I REALLY want to know, but how do you know what ASS smells like?)
;)
Is that a smell you can label, like, summer rain, or apples?

91nordic29
05-06-2004, 01:20 PM
i was thinking of putting it across 3 ladders in the back yard and hosing it off.

Debbolas
05-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Do you have a big wall or fence you could hang it on?
:cool:

Ivan Dan
05-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys I really appreciate it.

Tremor Therapy
05-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Take your cover and drape it over a chain link fence. Wash it with a mellow soapy solution, and rinse. Leave it on the fence until it is completely dry. I've done it twice, and had to problems! :wink:

Nucking futs
05-06-2004, 02:25 PM
I take mine to the person who made it and he cleans and rewaterproofs it for 15 bucks but just to rinse it of the fence dealio works good.

BarryMac
05-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Chase
Don't you just hate the snaps.......:D :D :D :D Just a little shot back to a thread posted in the recent past.....
I have to say now that I have the boat with the snaps I like it, It will probably make a whole hell ofa lota rackit in the dryer but I don't care, I will be outside sitting in my boat having a cocktail while it's drying. :D

Rdude2
05-06-2004, 03:51 PM
I take our full cover to Rainbow Cleaners in LHC. There just above Del Taco by the swap meet parking lot. $25 once a year, can't beat it! Just besure to put it back on the boat damp, so it will form back to the boats shape when its dry:cool: JJ

riverbound
05-06-2004, 04:07 PM
I pressure wash mine in the driveway and then let it dry in the grass. then put it back on the boat and stretch it back out.