PDA

View Full Version : Ball Valve and exhaust?

Jetdriver
05-06-2004, 06:05 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/398Boat_shots_009-med.jpg
I borrowed this photo so I could ask a question here, I have a similar exhaust on my boat, 454 with a berk pump. The question is, I find that the boat runs very cold since the water from the pump has no restriction flies on through the motor and dumps out the exhaust with that said, Can I install a ball valve to slow the waters pace and still have enough water running to the exhaust so that it doesnt get to hot and mess something up? Ill post a pic or 2 of my exact setup later!

shaun
05-06-2004, 07:25 AM
I'm no expert but i'll take a crack at it...
I think most people installe a preasure regulator to help control this problem. Also, your plumbing size may affect this as well.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-06-2004, 08:08 AM
make sure you put the valve on the inlet to the motor and not the discharge. putting a restriction on the discharge can cause water pressure in the block to rise leading to gasket failure and water in the oil. I would suggest a valve at the discharge of the pump. have the discharge be as free flowing and open as possible. hope this helps.
Omega

PLACECRAFT20
05-06-2004, 08:33 AM
I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH LIGHTNING HEADERS. I BOUGHT THE REXMARINE THERMOSTAT KIT. THE MOTOR NOW RUNS BETWEEN 150 TO 160 ALL DAY. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS NOW I AM HAVING TO INSTALL A WATER BYPASS TO LOWER THE WATER PRESSURE IN THE BLOCK.

LakesOnly
05-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Yeah, place a gate valve just inside the transom, just aft of the pump and before the line put water to your motor. Begin to close slowly until you see the your water temp rise.
Bear in mind that at cruising speeds, there is more pressure build-up in the pump bowl and therefore more water forced through the cooling system, thereby keeping engine temps low, and so when you enter the no-wake zone, your water temp may rise quickly (due to less water being sent to the engine), and an adjustment at the gate valve may be necessary. You still will have no thermostat and you will have restricted the water inlet to your engine.
This is perhaps the simplest mod that can be made to the cooling system of your boat. It can be expanded on, or you may consider other alternatives.
Paul

flat broke
05-06-2004, 10:50 AM
my .02 on this would be a little different than whats been posted thus far. 1st and fore most, you need to have a block pressure gauge to set this up. 2nd a pressure reg on the inlet will help keep the pressure from spiking under acceleration. With that handled, plumb the boat just as you normally would with 1 exception. Place a ball valve between the the thermostat housing and exhaust on each side. Leave those open for the time being.
Go out to the lake with your block pressure gauge run up to the dash so you can observe while driving. First you will be setting up the inlet pressure regulator. Crank that bad boy down until you you get the pressure you need. If the pressure stays even throughout the RPM band, leave the inlet reg where its at, and leave the ball valves at the exhaust open.
If the pressure won't come up in the block regardless of how much pressure you set on the inlet reg, back the inlet reg to around 35-40lbs, then recheck, if the pressure still isn't coming up on the block, go to the gate valves at the exhaust and turn each side down a little(do both the same amount). When you do this, you need to pay attention to the temp of the rubber hoses that connect your exhaust to your tips. Make sure the exhasut is still getting enough water flow. This will help build pressure in the block and you just need to fine tune it to get the results you need while keeping the exhaust adequtely cool.
The other end of the spectrum would be too much block pressure with the ball valves open. If this is the case go and bring down the pressure at the inlet regulator. The benefit of the regulator is that it will allow full flow while reducing the pressure, whereas a valve will reduce flow as it reduces pressure.
Like I said at the begining, thats just my .02
Chris

Jetdriver
05-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Here are some pics of my actual setup! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/79P1010221.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/79P1010222-med.JPG In the second photo you can see where the lines come out of the exhaust at the back.

Jetdriver
05-06-2004, 01:10 PM
TTT

Jetdriver
05-07-2004, 05:33 AM
TTT

Jetdriver
05-10-2004, 06:04 AM
OK now for the BIG? I picked up 2 different sized ball valves not knowing which I would need. So 1/2 and 3/4 is what I got. Now I need 2 adaptors to go from AN to PIPE thread. Where can I get them?

MudPumper
05-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Try PAW, they have a decent selection of Earls fittings, I get all mine from Teague because they are close to home.

Jetdriver
05-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Hey PAW is right down the street from work here. Ill try them out! Thanks

flat broke
05-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
OK now for the BIG? I picked up 2 different sized ball valves not knowing which I would need. So 1/2 and 3/4 is what I got. Now I need 2 adaptors to go from AN to PIPE thread. Where can I get them?
Superdave013 here on the boards of course ;)
I would use the valve size that corespondes to the hose size running to the exhaust. If its -8 to the exhaust run the 1/2" as its the closest equivalent. 3/4" would be the equivalent of about -12.
Hope that helps,
Chris

Jetdriver
05-10-2004, 09:51 AM
I have no idea what size I have. Guess I will just have to take a hose off and bring it with me!

jet4fun
05-10-2004, 09:56 AM
shawn, i have had my boat for over 3 1/2 years now, when i bought it, it had the Rex Marine thermostat kit on it, and it has worked flawlessly ever since...
i dont have a single gate valve, ball valve, pressure regulator etc... the water runs in and out completely unrestricted and always stays at an elevated temp. 150-160. and i have never had a problem with excess pressure milking the oil or blowing a head gasket or any gasket
the problem with the gate/ball valve setup is that if you adjust it to be a good temp at idle, it will run cold at speed because the extra pressure forces more water through, also different lake temps will make it vary a little
the Rex thermostat housing is the only way to go (if you are worried about the extra pressure blowing something then you could install a pressure regulator like the setup HB Jet runs, but no gate/ball valves)

Jetdriver
05-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Whats up Robert????

BIGAMIST
05-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Whats up Robert????
Robert, Boat 460 Crew Chief......thats whats up:D .:p :wink: :p

Jetdriver
05-10-2004, 10:05 AM
I though Jim was the crew chief????:confused:

jet4fun
05-11-2004, 07:27 AM
he is, its a joke
robert, boat 460 trailer backin bitch boy
you guys should come up this weekend, or come by jims shop on friday and say wassup

Rev. Williams
05-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by jet4fun
he is, its a joke
robert, boat 460 trailer backin bitch boy
you guys should come up this weekend, or come by jims shop on friday and say wassup
Are they running at Ming this weekend ?????

jet4fun
05-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Rev. Williams
Are they running at Ming this weekend ?????
yeah, unfortunately, i wish it was next weekend. i really wanted to go to the FBC, but i already promised jim i would be there for the races so:rolleyes: whaddya do... if you guys dont go to FBC you should come up
P.S. jerry, i wanna take a look at your new toy:D

Jetdriver
05-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Have fun!