PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat

TopGun4608
05-06-2004, 08:21 AM
HI I have an 1982 Eliminator that I have totally restored but now I need to restore the gel coat haze. I have buffed and it does come out but it comes back? Any one know of a way to get rid of it? Color sand? If so anyone know of a good guy to have it done in the So CAl area?? Thanks MIKE

BIGAMIST
05-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Send Toddnjuzz a PM:wink:

HOOTER SLED-
05-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by TopGun4608
HI I have an 1982 Eliminator that I have totally restored but now I need to restore the gel coat haze. I have buffed and it does come out but it comes back? Any one know of a way to get rid of it? Color sand? If so anyone know of a good guy to have it done in the So CAl area?? Thanks MIKE
Color sand and a buffer(circular not orbital). Lot of work, but it will come out. Start out with like 2000 or 1200 grit wet and dry to see where you are at. I don't know how bad yours is. Believe it or not, I had to use 320 wet and dry to get through all the oxidation on mine. Be careful, some of the areas may be thinner than others and you'll go through the gel. Get some 3M rubbing compound for the buffer. There are various grades. Also some polish to use after the rubbing compound. This will bring out the color and the shine. There are some pics of mine in the Image Center in my photo album. I don't have before pics. But it was a huge difference. Good luck. Where are you located??

mirvin
05-06-2004, 08:48 AM
I know most folks will flame me for this....but....I used VERTGLASS and it works pretty damn good. My finish was caked with deep oxidation. Sat out uncovered for years in havasu:(
I wasn't totally stoked with the finish, but the oxidation removal process is amazing. Next winter I might do the oxidation remover phase again but finish with a buffer instead of using their finish coat.
mirvin