PDA

View Full Version : Havasu-Memorial Weekend

rdg42001
05-06-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm new to the board and new to boating, I'm planning a trip for me and some friends to go to Havasu this Memorial weekend. Any tips out there on how we can have a great time and where to go?

jackpunx
05-06-2004, 10:50 AM
first off.. welcome to the site.. :D
Havasu on Memorial weekend is going to be a zoo.. If your new to boating..get some seat time before you go there.. If you go up to the sandbar.. follow someone.. there are some shallow spots.. and make sure you know what the "shocker" is.. lol..
good luck:D

summerlove
05-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jackpunx
first off.. welcome to the site.. :D
Havasu on Memorial weekend is going to be a zoo.. If your new to boating..get some seat time before you go there.. If you go up to the sandbar.. follow someone.. there are some shallow spots.. and make sure you know what the "shocker" is.. lol..
good luck:D
Yes, welcome. Also, you better realize this is a very liberal site - no republicans allowed! OGShocker is the biggest lib on the board and he'll tell you so...
Oh yea, and Havasu for memorial Day, I'm glad you'll be there and I'll be home!

rdg42001
05-06-2004, 11:20 AM
thanx guys I appreciate the feedback. Anyone planning a trip for that weekend, May 28-31st?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-06-2004, 11:32 AM
I will there this weekend also, its party time.

Three Days Only
05-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Everyone and there mothers will be out there that weekend including us. The Sandbar will most likely be closed saturday and sunday, but there is plenty of boating and stuff to see. The channel will be a zoo, and unless you like bumber boats, I would avoid the thompson bay entrance in the afternoon. Steamboat Cove, Park Moabi, and all the bars along the river and lake are a gauranteed good time. Have fun and safe boating.
Jeff

CustomCruiser
05-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Get to your launch ramp early (like 8-ish) or you will be stuck in grid lock and will have a tough time finding parking close enough that does not require a shuttle bus. The Sand Bar will be closed, but the mini-Sand Bar just down stream will probably attract some peeps. To "experience" Havasu on Memorial Day Weekend, your best bet is either Steamboat Cove or The Channel. Copper Canyon is OK, but the traffic lane kind of screws the whole thing up. If you're not comfortable maneuvering your boat or have a new boat, I would not enter the channel mid-day. Like 3DO said, it's pretty much bumper boat time. If you're doing a guys trip, stock up on beads at the gas station before launching. Have fun and be safe.

dicudmore
05-06-2004, 01:32 PM
definitely launch early to take off some of the pressure of being inexperienced at it. last thing you want is to hold up a line of angry boaters w/alc influenced attitudes.
plan on it being a total zoo, and also a great time!
what are the details on your boat? that lake can get a little rough on smaller boats, big weekends

mbrown2
05-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Get out now and get the feel of the boat....
If you are not comfortable with the boat by Memorial, it could be a chore...Memorial is the most packed weekend of the year all up and down the colorado river....Mini Sandbar, Nautical, Channel, Steamboat, Copper Canyon, Moabi, Kokomos....are all places you guys will have a blast....but just be prepared for a lot of folks that really enjoy the lake and look out for one another, and another bunch of folks that only show up on the major weekends and can be complete idiots.....You have to have a lot of patience during the big weekends due to congestion in certain spots, on the launch ramps, and on the streets around town, but if you are comfortable with all that, there is no weekend that is more fun, boat and bikini filled then Memorial...
Also, it was said before, but get to the launch ramp early; no later than 08:30...
Good luck

CA Stu
05-06-2004, 01:55 PM
These guys are playing with ya.
Get up late, have a few beers to let the crowds around the launch ramp thin out, launch like 9 or 10.
Head toward the bridge after a while, like 1 pm or so, idle for 100 yards past the buoys, then when you see the London Bridge, gas it and haul ass underneath it. If you've got a fast, big boat, you will impress everyone. Also, a huge stereo blasting that great Nelly song will win you friends and help you meet chicks.
I think sunscreen is for pussies, too.
There are lots of places to buy beer and fuel real cheap right on the Lake, so don't bother to get any gas or beer before you hit the water.
Also, if you have a jet ski, try and splash people in boats, they think it's a lot of fun!
Have fun!
CA Stu
PS Do the opposite, you'll live longer and have more fun.;)

dicudmore
05-06-2004, 02:01 PM
I wondered if CA stu was trying to get someone killed there for a minute....

H20 Party Starter
05-06-2004, 02:06 PM
All ***boaters should take over the "mini-bar"
It's half way to the sandbar from the top of the lake on the CA side. Good for about 200 boats.:cool:

Ducatista
05-06-2004, 02:17 PM
You could not pick a worse weekend in Havasu as a new boater. Not that you won't be ok, I'm sure you will, but the observations above are right on.
Make sure you have reservations for a place to stay, get up EARLY and launch and have the boat preped and ready to go with all the necessary saftey gear and food/drinks. Make sure you have a driver for the tow rig/trailer if possible when you launch, or someone who can drive the boat while you park the rig.
If you head upriver(its awsome) follow the boats going up the AZ side and keep your speed & trim up, eyes open, and you will be fine. It will be rough everywhere on the lake & river, but it is also a blast of a party weekend.
The channel is an insane party, it will fill up by mid morning, so go early and get a spot if thats what you want to do. Steamboat cove is an excellent family party cove but it will be a rager that weekend. Good luck, and keep your eyes, and all eyes of passengers on your boat, open and ready to alert you of pwc's and other boats. Maybe come in a little early or stay out late to avoid the rush at the launch ramps.
I personally know people who have made Havasu on Memorial Day their first outing and they never returned! Plan ahead and keep calm and in good spirits and you will survive Havasu On Memorial Day Weekend.(Evil wicked snicker):cool:
Ok yes and welcome to the boards....

Up 4 River
05-06-2004, 02:41 PM
It's a tough weekend if your not new to boating. Have fun and read what the guys wrote up top. Other than that make sure you have a DD for the weekend, and have a good time.

bohica
05-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Too crazy for this old timer. Got tired of launching at 6:00 am and sitting in the channel all day. Had to keep someone at the back of the boat at all times to keep people from hitting it.
Boat smart if you decide to go, wouldn't wanna read about you in the paper on Tuesday.;)

shueman
05-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Leave the boat on the trailer and bring and chairs and beverages to the channel on Saturday. You won't believe it..!!!
Launch early (Windsor) on Sunday and tour the lake. Go up river and find a nice beach for lunch and relax.
Alternate would be to trailer down to CatTail Cove and launch/beach there.

77charger
05-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by shueman
Leave the boat on the trailer and bring and chairs and beverages to the channel on Saturday. You won't believe it..!!!
If you do this you might be like everyone else there(who go from ramp to channel) only you wont have to worrry about finding boat parking:D

rdg42001
05-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Is it better to launch from Windsor?

carbonmarine
05-07-2004, 08:20 AM
That weekend !! A yeast or piss hole infection is
guarenteed for your lady !!! * You get to Swim in the toilet with all the tidy bowl men....!!!
Man, I steer clean and clear and let the place flush a week before I go back... 4th of July & labor day too.....
Rick32 :cool:

jackpunx
05-07-2004, 08:22 AM
LOL... so true:D ..

Up 4 River
05-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
That weekend !! A yeast or piss hole infection is
guarenteed for your lady !!! * You get to Swim in the toilet with all the tidy bowl men....!!!
Man, I steer clean and clear and let the place flush a week before I go back... 4th of July & labor day too.....
Rick32 :cool:
I agree with Rick on this one. Go out on a different weekend and enjoy what the river is really all about instead of trying to mix in with the Memorial Day crowd.
U4R

Big Bear
05-13-2004, 09:11 AM
I am under the impression that if you are looking for the most loose women and the wildest party action, then Memorial weekend is the best. My buddies and I are going . It will be my first Memorial weekend there. We have our spots reserved at Crazyhorse and I hear the night life there is hopping. All those things to watch out for are right on. Come on you guys, how about concentrating on the important positives about that weekend. I wanna hear about chicks and party spots!!!!!:D :D

Liquid Courage
05-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by rdg42001
I'm new to the board and new to boating, I'm planning a trip for me and some friends to go to Havasu this Memorial weekend. Any tips out there on how we can have a great time and where to go?
Here's the biggest tip anyone can give you.....STAY AWAY FROM HAVASU MEMORIAL WEEKEND! What a frickin nightmare!
Oh yea, one more thing....The guy ratio is like 20 to 1 that weekend. And I'm not just talking regular dudes, I'm talking like d!ckhead extrodenair from every gang area south of frisco.
The sandbar will be closed off, copper canyon will be closed off and they're talking about closing the channel too!!:eek!: Big weekends out there suck. You'll have a better time on an "off" weekend.

rdg42001
05-13-2004, 10:13 AM
can anyone give me some info on launching from Windsor beach?

Mr.Havasu
05-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Windsor beach is about 2 miles north of the channel on London Brige Road & industrial.
Cost $10.00 for a day pass or $100.00 for an annual pass.(you do the math as to how many times a year you plan to launch.
They will close around 8:00 to 9:00 on Saturday & Sunday(Memorial weekend) due to being full, so have your boat ready Friday night and launch early. Most weekends from memorial day to Labor day they close by 10:00 am on Saturday because they are full.
If your boat is any smaller than a 25' you can do a quick run in the morning, after that find a place to park for the day because the water will be tore up. and if it's windy it will be even worst and hard to get your boat on the trailer at the end of the day.
Oh, Welcome to the board, have fun in Havasu but stay aware, shit happens fast.
Michele

Boozer
05-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Big Bear
Come on you guys, how about concentrating on the important positives about that weekend. I wanna hear about chicks and party spots!!!!!:D :D
You are camping at one of them.
It's a good weekend to get HIV from all those loose women you speak of.

Big Bear
05-13-2004, 01:36 PM
I've heard of double baggers before Boozer.:yuk: Does that mean the chicks out there on Memorial weekend will require a double wrap?;)