PDA

View Full Version : Fastest hull

Taylorman
05-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Just wondering everyones thoughts on the most efficient hulls out there. I want to start looking for a good hull that is easy to make go fast. There was a nice Eliminator Daytona near my house a while back that i should have bought and didn't. Im still kicking myself. Are the Daytona jets as good as CP's. Any others?

wet77
05-06-2004, 01:59 PM
I am not sure if they are the fastest but since I went for a ride in a 21' daytona eliminator I liked it so much I drove 4000 miles round trip to buy one:eek:

HBjet
05-06-2004, 02:15 PM
How fast do you want to go, and how quick do you want to be? If you wanted a 100mph+ boat (given you had the power/pump to do that) and be one of the quickest, get an 18' California Performance layed up around 400lbs. You could go lighter, but then its pretty much a race hull, or you could go heavier and use it for everyday boating too. If you wanted a jet that ran 110-120 I would get a tunnel for sure, Daytona for the 105-110+/Placecraft for the 110-120 range. Now, you could go the 21' Daytona route, but you will need more power, and bottom work to make it work. Those hulls are pretty stable in those higher speeds from what I've seen/heard when setup right. The thing that sucks about tunnels is when the power is closely matched to a v-bottom hull, the v bottom will always be quicker from 0-100mph.... given they are also close to the same weight.
With that being said, Wrightnow is going to be one fast/quick SOB this summer with a somewhat light 18' CP gullwing and 800hp.
HBjet

Jake W
05-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Taylor man the fastest was Going Places it was a Place Craft.
I would think a 19 gullwing foot hull would be a really good and fast lake boat with less power than a tunnel.They say the 18s are quicker but good luck finding one as a project.I got lucky on my 18 and bought it for 1000 bucks from Sterve M .I see alot of Condor and Youngblood TX 19s around Oklahoma,Texas,ect you should be able to pick one of thoes up pretty fast as where you might have to travel pretty far to get a CP 19 or a Place Craft ,or Eliminator 19 tunnel well you get the point.Dont get me wrong we all want a tunnel.
Jake:D

wet77
05-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Ok try comparing a v bottom to a tunnel going into a 10-18mph head wind see who beats who;)
I have tried it and going down wind we are equal but when we turned around and headed into the wind I could not keep up to the tunnel boat;)

HotHallet
05-06-2004, 04:19 PM
CP
Eliminator Liberty
Eliminator Daytona
Rogers Bonneville

Jake W
05-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Wett 77 are you refering to my post?If so do you have a Gullwing and what kind of tunnel was it did you have the same power?I am not an expert.I do knoe TX 19(gullwing) are very fast and very good lake boats.A tunnel boat is going to be faster, Well it depends on witch one.Why dont you give some more info.

ShowDown
05-06-2004, 05:07 PM
If you are mainly interested in a 0-100mph boat and you want something wicked quick and something that can also be very quick with relatively little power the 18' Youngblood picklefork tunnel would be the winner in my book. They are very hard to find, and it is also my understanding that they are dangerously ill handling over about 95mph but they are unbelievably quick. I have seen a lot of TX-19s and ridden in several as well, and I have been in Daytonas and one Placecraft along with numerous V-bottoms and I have never seen anything as quick as the little Youngblood pickle. My second choice would be the Tx-19 or CP gullwing.

Jake W
05-06-2004, 06:02 PM
ShowDown you can buy a brand new one(Youngblood18 tunnel) if you want give Dan at LCK a call at 405 681 2676
He has the Condor molds for it.

bp
05-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
The thing that sucks about tunnels is when the power is closely matched to a v-bottom hull, the v bottom will always be quicker from 0-100mph.... given they are also close to the same weight.
With that being said, Wrightnow is going to be one fast/quick SOB this summer with a somewhat light 18' CP gullwing and 800hp.
HBjet
i wouldn't necessarily agree with the "v bottom will always be quicker" comment. that generalization really has more to do with which tunnel you're talking about. you put 800 hp in a cp tunnel with both the gullwing and tunnel setup properly, and the tunnel will pull the gullwing before 100. cp tunnels are extremely quick, but they can be a handful. daytona's are not as quick, but will provide more top end if similar weight/power. placecraft/southwinds are entirely different boats, and i wouldn't even begin to compare them.

quickcondor18
05-06-2004, 07:32 PM
I have been running one of the condor 18's for about the last 6 years. It started out as a lake boat and I have since move up through the brackets in IHBA and SDBA events. One thing I can say for this thing is that it is quick, however it doesn't produce much in the mph department. I recently changed from blown gas to blown alky resulting in a 4.66 1/8 mile @ 115mph with a 8.60 1/4mile @ 117mph with an ultra safe tune and low boost. I know not everyone will agree with me but this is a very stable boat, I have had it shut down at speed in the ME class (10 sec) pre jetaway and it set down and went straight without any problems.

canuck1
05-06-2004, 07:37 PM
think aluminum
0 - 80 - sprint
cornering - sprint
top end - tunnel

Taylorman
05-06-2004, 07:59 PM
By quick, i assume you all are refering to hole shot?
I really like Daytona's. Whats the difference between the 19 and 21. Im thinking about a fast lake boat for the future. Somewhere in the 80-90 mph range without stupid amounts of power. What would it take to make a Daytona run 80-90?
Are these two 21's. Does the 19 have no back seat and the 21 have a back seat?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1298blown_sensless_and_dogs_001.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/319Backside-med.jpg

BIGAMIST
05-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Look like 19s to me

Jake W
05-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Me too
Nice boat QuickCondor

Nucking futs
05-06-2004, 09:45 PM
The cp is a nice boat and is fast but when you get into the triple didgets the southwind tunnel dragster and the placecraft tunnel dragster are by far the safest and the quickest with the proper set up on hardware and engine combo.Our river racer southwind tunnel ran 110 with 500 hp all day long and going places is the fastest and before it was a placecraft it was a southwind and held the record for many years.Don jennings the owner of southwind gave bill place a boat and placecraft was born with some bottom mods.Back in the day late 70's early 80's there was a number of southwinds running blown fuel jets,going places,ricos rich bitch,mark connells big red special,jay elington's E.T. special and the shady lady and not to mention all of the other classes that were filled with southwinds.I geuss i just a southwind fan!!!But they are hard to find,not putting down any other boats here just going on a safty issue in the big #'s and you have to think about the handling of the boat you choose when you get up there.I really like the handling of the cp,gullwing on the river but they can be a handfull on the big end. TYPO ON THE SPEED ITS ONLY 101

comin' unscrewed
05-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Nucking futs
Our river racer southwind tunnel ran 110 with 500 hp all day long ....
Can you share details on this boat's setup?

Nucking futs
05-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Well basiclly it was all hardware tuning,loader,shoe,ride plate and tabs.The engine was a injected 468 and the hull wieghed 375 or so and was running a "R" pump what eles can i say?typo on the speed its 101
http://www.southwindjetboats.com/dad%201.jpg

Cas
05-06-2004, 10:36 PM
here's a boat for ya. This is a friend of mine's so if you want info, you will need to contact him directly....... arock2@prodigy.net
I do know it's a Phantom Edge
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/2/165094_Phantom__Edge-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/2/1650Berryessa_02-med.jpg
http://www.laidbackboaters.com/4161ebf0.jpg
(shooting a roost on the left)
http://www.laidbackboaters.com/4141dd60.jpg
(shooting a roost on the right)
boat runs in the mid 80's

HBjet
05-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bp
i wouldn't necessarily agree with the "v bottom will always be quicker" comment. that generalization really has more to do with which tunnel you're talking about. you put 800 hp in a cp tunnel with both the gullwing and tunnel setup properly, and the tunnel will pull the gullwing before 100. cp tunnels are extremely quick, but they can be a handful. daytona's are not as quick, but will provide more top end if similar weight/power. placecraft/southwinds are entirely different boats, and i wouldn't even begin to compare them.
I didn't add the CP tunnel because that boat should only be used at the track, never as a lake/river boat....
HBjet

Cs19
05-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Our river racer southwind tunnel ran 110 with 500 hp all day long .
Thats quite an accomplishment for 500 horse.
Think saftey, not whats quicker or faster since its a river or lake boat.
I would say if its under 95-100 get a cp, they are hard to beat.
If you wanna go faster, look into a cheyanne,daytona,edge,etc.
Southwinds are cool lake boats too, but they need lotsa motor to make em go.

quiet riot
05-07-2004, 02:29 AM
think aluminum
I second what canuck said, but I may be a little bias. I haven't seen anything come close to the 0-60 times of a jetsprint with similar power and the mph the eagles put up with the tunnel river racers with small blocks is pretty impressive.
jd

Unchained
05-07-2004, 03:32 AM
The 19' Stealth is the fastest jet hull from what I've seen.
I seen this boat run in the high 7's
http://www.dragboats.com/gallery/images/03_10_IHBA_3378_845.jpg
Here's Ray Wahler's 19' Stealth, He took 1st place at this race.
I seen him run in the 7's also.
http://www.michigan***boats.com/images/raysboat.jpg
http://www.michigan***boats.com/images/ottawadrags03videos/ottawa03video5.MPG

Taylorman
05-07-2004, 04:25 AM
Who makes a stealth?

HammerDown
05-07-2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Who makes a stealth?
Tom Papp.

Jake W
05-07-2004, 04:38 AM
Tom Papp makes the Stealth.Rogers R and D express(the HiTech boat)runs in the 130s on an all alum Ford with NOS.But they are not cheap and you wont find one of these as a project boat.

Vern S
05-07-2004, 05:16 AM
[really like the handling of the cp,gullwing on the river but they can be a handfull on the big end. [/B][/QUOTE]
this is the first I have heard of this, can you please share some more details?
Thanks

Taylorman
05-07-2004, 06:26 AM
What kind of boat does Hi Tech make? Didn't someone on the board just buy one?

comin' unscrewed
05-07-2004, 06:30 AM
..... the hull wieghed 375 or so .....
That's probably got a lot to do with it. Mine weighs a little over 600 and does 93 with similar HP. That's with me alone in it. With a passenger it won't achieve an air trap so it stays wet and I can't get much over 87.

UBFJ #454
05-07-2004, 06:32 AM
The fastest open cockpit jetboat that I've heard of recently is a Cheyenne that belongs to Jim Sampica ...
At Red Bluff a few years ago he ran the Liquid Quarter in 7.54 sec. @ 139.7 mph ...
Needless to say, IHBA officials were a bit upset with Jim since he was so far below the allowed 7.70 seconds allowed for open boats. Jim no longer races the boat and has since detuned his setup somewhat and runs the boat as his "Lake Boat".
Of all the hulls being currently being layed up, for a fast jetboat I would recommend looking into a Cheyenne weighing around 450 to 500 +/- lbs, Bare.
Hi-Tech is a Dealer for both Cheyennes and Stealth Edges, as well as others.

lucky
05-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Vern S
[really like the handling of the cp,gullwing on the river but they can be a handfull on the big end.
this is the first I have heard of this, can you please share some more details?
Thanks [/B][/QUOTE] lol - I have a friend whom was racing - a c-p hull ( pizza - delevery ) name of leon r. i have seen time slips of 119 mph flying all the way he spun it out in chowchilla , got some one to drive it in chandler , It tossed him too - he wanted me to drive it I'm 6 foot and run a good 240- lbs ( yes shit does get stacked that high ) I watched this boat run up in redbluff - and decided - ahhhhh no -
the hull should weigh more than i do - they are fast -- :cool:

572Daytona
05-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Taylorman, if all you are looking for is 80-90, I think the Daytona 21' is the way to go. It is a true lake boat very safe and very stable and can handle some chop. I'm running just over 600hp and I see consistant 80's with a high of 90.3mph last year with the baffles in and running in full lake trim, i.e. all my seats, safety gear, tools, etc still in the boat. And they will run triple digits with more hp, just ask Maximus.

quickcondor18
05-07-2004, 07:28 AM
If I were to change hull types my first choice would be a Cheyenne, they are a much more efficient hull and most are lighter than the 595# pig that I run now.

Taylorman
05-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
Taylorman, if all you are looking for is 80-90, I think the Daytona 21' is the way to go. It is a true lake boat very safe and very stable and can handle some chop. I'm running just over 600hp and I see consistant 80's with a high of 90.3mph last year with the baffles in and running in full lake trim, i.e. all my seats, safety gear, tools, etc still in the boat. And they will run triple digits with more hp, just ask Maximus.
You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what im looking for. Whats the difference in the 19 and 21 besides the obvious.

572Daytona
05-07-2004, 07:52 AM
You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what im looking for. Whats the difference in the 19 and 21 besides the obvious.
The 21 has a bigger beam so it is wider, more freeboard and is heavier. It is much more versatile, if your quest is top speed and you only plan to use it at the races or on flat water the 19 would work best, if you want an all around boat that has some room for passenger, can handle the rough stuff and gets good performance go for the 21. Edge and Liberator also make 21's that are similar to the Daytona.

Taylorman
05-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks. So 600 hp will get me 80-90. You got some good pictures of yours?

572Daytona
05-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks. So 600 hp will get me 80-90. You got some good pictures of yours?
600hp CAN get you 80-90. It depends on the pump/bottom setup, Maximus helped me with my setup so that I broke 90 last year. I also think it matters what rpm you make 600HP since it is a heavy boat you want to use a big impeller, I'm running an AA
Some pics:
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/smokin2.jpg
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/Dscn7344e.jpg
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/mollydaytona.jpg
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~daytona/Dscn0607e.jpg
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~daytona/Dscn0677e.jpg

HBjet
05-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Its one thing to say boat xyz is the fastest because they ran this or that in the 1/4 mile, so it must be the fastest hull. I don't think Taylorman is looking for a drag boat deal. The Stealth hull Tom Papp sells is nice, but his lightest hull is still 75lbs heavier then the lightest CP tunnel. If you took 600-700-800hp and placed them into these different hulls, what would be faster/quicker. The zero to 100 (other then a CP tunnel) v-bottoms (like a gullwing) will be quicker then a tunnel because tunnels don't start packing until you get up to 70-80mph... Yeah, I know, so and so with his tunnel and all alum. 1800hp deal started packing air at a much lower speed and was very quick, but again, I don't think Taylorman is looking for the most extreme cases here. I could be wrong though
As for the 21 Daytona, they are a nice boat, but not quick at all compared to a 19' anything. I have never driven one, but I was told they really start to feel like a tunnel around 80 mph. At 50 mph, I heard they are still a handful... I guess tracking all over the place.... again, I have never driven one (I would like to) just passing some info I got from an experienced boater who did drive one. I'm guessing a handfull means you can't just let it go straight with one hand barely on the wheel and the other holding a beer:D
HBjet

HBjet
05-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Nice photos... I love the look of the 21 Daytona, and if I ever bought a Daytona, it would be a 21
HBjet

HBjet
05-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Here is one fast 21' Daytona (8.55/126+ in the 1/4 mile)
http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/SLimo99.jpg
HBjet

572Daytona
05-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Mine has no problems tracking at any speed, maybe your friends boat had a really agressive shoe depth to it. I found as I started lowering my shoe I gained a bit on the top end but it felt like it was dragging some at lower speeds. Iit does start to air out at about 55mph or so and once that happens you can't make sharp turns without backing off the throttle but I think that is true about all cats. And as for quick, well it's not a quarter miler but it will beat any i/o out of the hole. Mine still has that Jet acceleration feel to it, I also have an inducer impeller so that may help me out of the hole

Taylorman
05-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Interesting HB. Your right, not looking for a drag boat just a fast 80-90 lake boat. Anyone have any comments on how the 21 drives at slow speeds. Its never terribly rough where i boat. You can always find good water for high speed runs. The 21 looks to have a pretty good amount of room for gear and ice chests with a couple passengers. Just what im looking for. Your comment on low speed handling has me wondering though.

HBjet
05-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Mine has no problems tracking at any speed, maybe your friends boat had a really agressive shoe depth to it. I found as I started lowering my shoe I gained a bit on the top end but it felt like it was dragging some at lower speeds.
I would have to think that is the big difference. I'm pretty sure it had a lot of shoe. As for being quick, I'm not saying they are a pig, I'm just thinking in terms of a 21 like yours, or a 18' CP gullwing with a motor like the one in your 21' daytona, the CP would be a lot quicker. Lighter, v-bottom... you get the idea. For a 21' boat, I wouldn't settle for anything less then a 21' daytona if speed is what you are looking for.
HBjet

Taylorman
05-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Is this a 19'
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20rio002-med.jpg

Nucking futs
05-07-2004, 09:41 AM
I was not trying to offend anyone here as to what boat is the fastest or quickest.I was just stating that you need to choose a boat that is safe at higher speeds and that will handle the water conditions as well.IMO any boat that goes that fast should be safe,and the driver knows what he is doing.I have seen alot of people buy boats that were made just for family boating and such and try to put so much power to it that boat would not handle it ,beeing not full stringer or just not a sound hull.I was only stating to be safe!!I think all the above mentioned boats are great and to each their own,after all this is america and we have that freedom.I am just sick of all the people that buy a boat out of the box that does a 100+ and never been behind the wheel and those are the people you see causing accidents and making the man come down on all of us and make it hard for us to have a good time.

572Daytona
05-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Is this a 19'
That is a 19, look how close the 2 seats are to each other. The 21 has more width to the seating area.

Aluminum Squirt
05-07-2004, 09:50 AM
I know not too many of you take all 3 or 4 of us aluminum boat guys very seriously, but Eagle makes what you want, and the best part is........nobody is going to show up with a boat like yours. The 21' Eagle tunnel will run triple digits with 600HP, corner like an Indy car at any speed, handle 'rough' water (can be used in classI-IV rapids or for crossing sand bars) and you can park it on the beach and not worry about scratching your gelcoat. You will never replace another rotted stringer, hull damage is fixed with a large hammer. Okay, I'll stop now, most of you probably stopped reading when you realized I wasn't talking about a CP, Eliminator, etc. Baldy...where you at, get in here and post some pics-Aluminum Squirt

HBjet
05-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Aluminum Squirt
I know not too many of you take all 3 or 4 of us aluminum boat guys very seriously, but Eagle makes what you want, and the best part is........nobody is going to show up with a boat like yours.
Thats why we don't take you seriously... we don't want anyone down here kicking our asses with one of those.... Also, no one is going to want to tie up and float down river next to an alum. boat when theres is fiberglass.... someone is going to have a jacked up gelcoat after that float!
HBjet:D

Taylorman
05-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Now im really wanting a Daytona.
Can you get the 19 with or without a back seat? Does not look like there is enough room for a back seat. I see some pictures with and some without a back seat, at least i think they are 19's.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/409DCP00530-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/230close_side_view-med.jpg

HBjet
05-07-2004, 01:51 PM
if you get a bare hull like CS19 did (his is the black/grey one) then you can do whatever you want. The reason you don't see a lot of back seats is because unless you are 5yrs old, no one is sitting back there.... to damn tight. I think those boats look best as 2 seaters, no carpet, and get a custom billet cooler tray made up between the stringers behind the seats to hold your cooler!
HBjet

Bense468
05-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Just difference in motor placement.
CS19 I have not seen a pic in a long time. The boat looks good.

TIMINATOR
05-07-2004, 07:22 PM
If you have glass smooth water use a dragboat, if you want to run 100 when everyone else is sitting around and jawing, buy the Daytona. I don't know how to screw up the setup on one, but I'm sure someone has. I can run 90+ in the stuff the 18s fear and mine is stock all the way... AA aluminum impeller,off the shelf pump and all. I can take my hands off the wheel at any speed it can run and its totally stable. Drive more than one of everything before you buy. Come to Phoenix and drive mine. TIMINATOR

HammerDown
05-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by TIMINATOR
If you have glass smooth water use a dragboat, if you want to run 100 when everyone else is sitting around and jawing, buy the Daytona. I don't know how to screw up the setup on one, but I'm sure someone has. I can run 90+ in the stuff the 18s fear and mine is stock all the way... TIMINATOR
I'll agree, 21"Daytona are in a class all their own.
Mines a keeper, until they put a jet in a 22 footer!

HotRod Sprint
05-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
I'll agree, 21"Daytona are in a class all their own.
Mines a keeper, until they put a jet in a 22 footer!
Hammer, I'm thinkin dual jet in a 24 :D
Rod

Unchained
05-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Aluminum Squirt
I know not too many of you take all 3 or 4 of us aluminum boat guys very seriously, but Eagle makes what you want, and the best part is........nobody is going to show up with a boat like yours. The 21' Eagle tunnel will run triple digits with 600HP, corner like an Indy car at any speed, handle 'rough' water (can be used in classI-IV rapids or for crossing sand bars) and you can park it on the beach and not worry about scratching your gelcoat. You will never replace another rotted stringer, hull damage is fixed with a large hammer.
I'm taking the aluminum hulls seriously.
I checked out the eagle website and saw some nice equipment.
http://www.eagleracing.ca/RGallery/mod14a.jpg
http://www.eagleracing.ca/RGallery/mod8a.jpg
I could get one of those 21' tunnel hull models and swap the turbo engine back and forth from my 19' Stealth for what I want to run for the day. I can pull the engine in 45 minutes and some quick change couplers on the water lines could cut that time down.
I really prefer the picklefork design but no aluminum hulls have it.
Mark

BigBoyToys
05-08-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by HBjet
I didn't add the CP tunnel because that boat should only be used at the track, never as a lake/river boat....
HBjet
I agree. The CP Tunnel can and will get you over 100 relatively easy with 600hp, but it IS NOT a lake/river boat. With a good pump in a CP Tunnel with 650 HP you can expect to see around 110, but you had better ease off that throttle slowly or you're gonna get wet. There are a few CP Tunnels that run in the 120-130 range and get there quick, but you'd better have alot of experience with that boat or once again, getting wet will be inevitable sooner or later. When I took my old CP Tunnel out to the lake, it was next to impossible to run, and very dangerous to run fast when water conditions were not like glass.
For the 100-105 range, and for a good ET, I'd have to stick with the CP Gull Wing. But, they can get scary rocking side to side if you go much further above that.
For all out speed wise, I'd go with the Southwind or Eliminator tiunnels but you need some HP to get them up there. They seem to do very well with 800+ HP and are safe getting there.

LVjetboy
05-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Forget about the back seat...think PlaceCraft...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/BirdsEye.jpg
650 gets you 100 proven in a 19' dock gas lake boat...no exageration. Mine's a lake boat, not a single purpose light weight racer w/stress crack hull or deep shoe setup. Backing off no big deal...and unlike a gull wing, not twitchy at speed. Rough water a bit marginal and certainly not like a 21 footer. But I can run small white caps and stay loaded in mild afternoon chop. I boat lake Mead and Powell...good size water at times.
So what do you want Taylorman?
High speed thrill or big water handling plus room for four and a dog? Always a compromise. If $'s a limit then pick your priority. A 21 footer is nice but gets expensive if you want it all and have no real speed vs $ limit. Reliable power cost money. No matter the drive choice. Efficiency is one thing, but it costs...
jer

bp
05-08-2004, 04:43 PM
if the criteria is 80-90, and reasonably quick, the question really is whether or not you want to take people along. if you want to take people along, my 2 cents is the 19' gullwing. i dont' think you can find anything as quick that has as much room for parties as the 19'. 650hp in a gullwing or 19' eliminator, i'll take the gullwing. the 19' eliminator is built for speed, but takes a little bit longer to get there.
the pc and southwinds are good boats. i luv my sw. and jer's pc is a queen. while these things may look good and drive great, they are not as fast as similar power in a 19' gullwing (sorry jer), although they can be very quick and quicker than pickleforks.
something else to keep in mind is that these boats vary greatly in weight. for example, jer's pc (and i know mikec's pc) weigh considerably less than my sw. weight dramatically effects speed/quickness.
on the other hand, if you want to go racing, maybe the criteria is a little different???? more is always better, but more is a lot more expensive...

LVjetboy
05-08-2004, 05:02 PM
A "queen?" Weighs less? Yea right. My hull weighs 800-850 lbs...no race...or 500-600 lb light layup.
:) :) :)
jer

Cs19
05-08-2004, 07:03 PM
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/BirdsEye.jpg
I wanna go boating there, thats a great shot.
Lots of comments about whats considered a lake boat.
My opinion is you dont have to have an 800 lb hull to be a lake boat, I think 550-600 is perfect for hot rod river use, and no you dont have to be a trailer queen with a boat like that.

Taylorman
05-08-2004, 09:02 PM
This is exactly what i want. A back seat for a couple extra people and room for gear, something faster than i have now without building a extremely radical engine. 600 hp does not seem to be very difficult to achieve with a BBC and should be easy on the pocketbook. I just picked up this months ***boat and read the article in the back about the 21 Daytona. Thats a sweet ride. Im not looking for something that will get scary at high speed cause i don't have the experience driving that fast. 80-90 is all im looking for. Just fast enough to be king of the the hill around here. There is not nearly the competition here as there is in CA. The fastest boat that i raced was last summer, a guy in an Allison with a Merc 2.5. He whipped my ass. I think it does about 85. So what im after is a good stable, safe 90 mph boat that will do 90 with a reliable motor. 572Daytona says his is 600 hp and will do 80-90. If thats true for the 21 Daytona, then thats my boat. CS19, yours is very nice also. Love the colors.

bp
05-09-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
A "queen?" Weighs less? Yea right. My hull weighs 800-850 lbs...no race...or 500-600 lb light layup.
:) :) :)
jer
yah, and it's not even one of those trailer types:D
have you ever weighed it completely stripped? buck nekid??:cool:

bp
05-09-2004, 06:39 AM
This is exactly what i want. A back seat for a couple extra people and room for gear, something faster than i have now without building a extremely radical engine. 600 hp does not seem to be very difficult to achieve with a BBC and should be easy on the pocketbook. I just picked up this months ***boat and read the article in the back about the 21 Daytona. Thats a sweet ride. Im not looking for something that will get scary at high speed cause i don't have the experience driving that fast. 80-90 is all im looking for. Just fast enough to be king of the the hill around here. There is not nearly the competition here as there is in CA. The fastest boat that i raced was last summer, a guy in an Allison with a Merc 2.5. He whipped my ass. I think it does about 85. So what im after is a good stable, safe 90 mph boat that will do 90 with a reliable motor. 572Daytona says his is 600 hp and will do 80-90. If thats true for the 21 Daytona, then thats my boat. CS19, yours is very nice also. Love the colors.
a 19' gullwing is a nice easy ride in the 80-90 range, not squirrely, unsafe, etc. the 18' is a different animal. before i ever stepped into a 21 daytona, i'd be lookin' at big john's 21' ultra deckboat; same platform, more space. 600 is a decent starting point for a 21', but it's certainly not where you'll want to stay with it.

Jake W
05-09-2004, 12:50 PM
I say go with a 19 gullwing (TX).You can find one in you area pretty easy and wil cost you less than a 21 foot tunnel.
BP why is it that some peoiple say the 18 is some what dangreous and some say they have never experanced any problems with them.Actualy most that say they have problems dont even have one.Mine should run in the 80s it will have a Jetaway.You guys make me nervous when you say stuff like that.

bp
05-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
I say go with a 19 gullwing (TX).You can find one in you area pretty easy and wil cost you less than a 21 foot tunnel.
BP why is it that some peoiple say the 18 is some what dangreous and some say they have never experanced any problems with them.Actualy most that say they have problems dont even have one.Mine should run in the 80s it will have a Jetaway.You guys make me nervous when you say stuff like that.
it just needs to be set up somewhat flat. too much attitude can trap quite a bit of air under those wings. it's not a tunnel, but there's a lot of space, and if the keel is down, there's not too many exits for the air to go.
little over a year ago (i think, maybe 2?) joe lakamp took off from earth headed toward the moon with his at half track. fortunately, it came back down bottom side down, with him still hangin' on to the wheel. they took some nozzle and plate out of it, went out and ran the quickest pass they'd ever made with it.
of course, his and mark's 18s are relatively light, compared to the usual 600lb behemoths, and they have -some- power. both run in the 1teens, and look very good doing it.
these things just seem to run best with very little attitude. nothing to be scared of.. just don't jack the nose a bunch of degrees up in the air, and you'll be fine..

77charger
05-09-2004, 06:54 PM
I have driven placecraft and all i can say is this one took off hard and pulled hard .I felt it was very safe and stable at speed too at triple digits.

77charger
05-09-2004, 06:57 PM
for got to mention this one is a light to med lay up and it can handle the rougher water pretty good as far as mild chop it still cruises over it easily,There are no stress cracks what so ever even has 4 seats.

cyclone
05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Rogers 19 Bonneville TR
800-900 lb hull
seating for four
excellent handling/turns on a dime
single carb/700hp motor
95 mph and will run through medium chop with conservative hardware set up.
Rogers 18 Bonneville
700-800 lb hull
seating for four adults
will probably run close to 95 mph with even less hp
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45toddsboatdriverside-med.JPG [IMG]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45airedout.jpg

Petrofied
05-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
Rogers 19 Bonneville TR
800-900 lb hull
seating for four
single carb/700hp motor
95 mph and will run through medium chop with conservative hardware set up.
Rogers 18 Bonneville
700-800 lb hull
seating for four adults
will probably run close to 95 mph with even less hp
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45toddsboatdriverside-med.JPG [IMG]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45airedout.jpg Shiznit, Rogers-aircraft does not count. Boats belong in the water. Put some back for future use...:D :D

Beal Motorsports
05-10-2004, 08:02 AM
My vote is for the texas tunnel for around 100 mph. Our texas tunnel would leave very hard and other boats at the races were always playing catchup. The only draw back is do not lose power over 100 shut down can get you wet. Mine turned right at St Louis throught the traps at 120 when I blew the engine. Jetaway worked but its just something about the texas tunel. Roger in R & D Express will tell you the same. His tunnel pitched him a few times before he got the Cheyanne then the edge.
over all our placecraft is impressing us at every race. Mine happen to be the Original hot licks top fuel jet, then public nuisance TFJ then Michele Updegraphs TFJ. It was a competitor to Going Places. The boat as been 6.70 @ 173. I removed the capsule and am running it in the 9s. Not as fast as the texas tunnel out of the hole but great big end. The placecrafts do take more HP. Mine tune was about at 1600 hp at an 8.60 @ 125. I even had my accelerator cable pop off at 125 and I had to pull the kill switch to kill it. Went straight as can be. Placecraft definately has my vote.

MAXIMUS
05-10-2004, 09:05 AM
21' daytona handles like a cadilac. They are very forgiving & lathargic until you install some hp!

HavasuDreamin'
05-10-2004, 09:37 AM
The fastest boat that i raced was last summer, a guy in an Allison with a Merc 2.5. He whipped my ass. I think it does about 85.
Just an FYI..........that boat if properly set up will run well above 100 mph.
HD :)

MAXIMUS
05-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
Just an FYI..........that boat if properly set up will run well above 100 mph.
HD :)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Keep dreamin... or should I say "Havasu" dreamin...:p

BLOWNDEAVER
05-13-2004, 07:38 PM
IF ALL YOUR WORRIED ABOUT IS O-100 OR BETTER BUY A V-DRIVE

MAXIMUS
05-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Why...:confused:

superdave013
05-14-2004, 08:52 AM
lol, might as well save some cash and just get the cole flatbottom right from the start. :)
Have a nice day.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119New_Image24x.JPG

572Daytona
05-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by MAXIMUS
Why...:confused:
So you can tow it to places and polish it on the trailer hoping the water smooths out enough to get one run in before the day is over. Why else?

Unchained
05-14-2004, 12:42 PM
And to go with the picture of the flatbottom beating the jetboat.
Here's a video of a blown alky jet blowing by a blown alky hydro.
The jet won top gun at the meet.
http://www.michigan***boats.com/images/ottawadrags03videos/ottawa03video5.MPG
Another video of the same jet beating a blown gas hydro at the same meet.
http://www.michigan***boats.com/images/ottawadrags03videos/ottawa03video4.MPG
The Jetboat is a 19' Stealth.

Liberator TJ1984
05-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Mine's a 19'Liberator ...you can just see the back bench seat in front of the belt cover. Can seat 3 Average size peeps back there BUT my motor is ALL THE WAY Back in the boat as far as it will go And the pump is also set way back in the hull with no driveline just a knuckle u-joint hookup. with No Blower I had plenty of room . :D ;) :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/509/319Jetfest_2003_020-med.jpg

MAXIMUS
05-14-2004, 04:20 PM
So you can tow it to places and polish it on the trailer hoping the water smooths out enough to get one run in before the day is over. Why else?
Oh yea...:confused: Thanks for reminding me!:D lol

MAXIMUS
05-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
lol, might as well save some cash and just get the cole flatbottom right from the start. :)
Have a nice day.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119New_Image24x.JPG
That looks like a standard "ski" type of jet boat... The flat guy is wearing a helmet!:rolleyes: That must be one of those backwoods freakies from the northern parts...:D Probably wears the same helmet when mowing the lawn!:rolleyes:

Jbb
05-14-2004, 06:27 PM
I have a 21 Edge .....and I can tell you...I will never own a V bottom again...I wont get into any debates about acceleration speeds and all but my boat accelerates pretty hard ...even though Maxi sez my setup is all wrong.. :D ....There is also a world of difference between a 19 and a 21...the difference in interior room is hard to believe....I would not buy a 19 if room is a consideration...My boat is incredibly easy to drive at any speed ...Another thing not mentioned here....while moderate chop has the v bottom guys losing the fillings in their teeth....a tunnel hull will skip over the top of it.very comfortably....accelerating the whole time....:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0007-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0012-med.JPG

MAXIMUS
05-17-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
I have a 21 Edge .....and I can tell you...I will never own a V bottom again...I wont get into any debates about acceleration speeds and all but my boat accelerates pretty hard ...even though Maxi sez my setup is all wrong.. :D ....There is also a world of difference between a 19 and a 21...the difference in interior room is hard to believe....I would not buy a 19 if room is a consideration...My boat is incredibly easy to drive at any speed ...Another thing not mentioned here....while moderate chop has the v bottom guys losing the fillings in their teeth....a tunnel hull will skip over the top of it.very comfortably....accelerating the whole time....:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0007-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0012-med.JPG
Your just another one of those wannabie flat bottom guys who had an extra 25 g's to throw down on a big lazey jet boat...:rolleyes: :D I'm glad you didnt sell it Brian!:)