PDA

View Full Version : the right carb...

sip'n'pass
05-07-2004, 11:21 AM
here's my problem for the Ford guru's. I want performance and top speed. It does 58mph with a 650CFM Vac sec. I have a '76 spectra 21' with a 429. 9.3 compression, ford A460 cam, Dove C heads, RPM Performer intake, MSD dist and box with rev limiter, the jet is JG bowl with a 'A' impeller.
I do want to change the cam and port and polish the heads next year, so i don't want to buy 2 different carbs. i would rather have a bit bigger now. Now what CFM do i need? Double pumper? Vac Secs? Marine carb? can i settle with an Auto carb? And what brand name of carb?
Price is somewhat of a concern, but i do not want to cheap out!
located in Vancouver Canada

Hustler
05-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Your 21 Spectra is not going to see much more in speed unless you throw ALOT more HP at it. as far as a carb goes for your current set up I would think a 750 with Mech secondaries would be best and depending on how much you do to it next year would probably be ok then also.

Hotcrusader76
05-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Your best bet with regards to carburetion and the utilization of a moderate flowing cylinder head, WOT application, and pump gas the HP950 or 950 Hybrid is going to be the ticket here.
There are many boaters with the BBF useing the 950 carburetor and it absolutely is something that allows you to grow.
Give us a call if you have any questions.
~Ty

powerplay230
05-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Ty or?,
What do you think of the new Holley marine 750 cfm. It has choke plate machined off, 30 & 50 cc acc' pumps, idle adjustment on all 4 corners bla bla bla.... they say it should flow 850+ CFM? why is it rated a 750 then, price is around $550 from my local speed shop- sure that varies... Or way too small for a 502?
Thanks,
Rick