PDA

View Full Version : Pic of force fed oil cooler pick up...

Bryan Rose
05-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I keep thinking this should work very well... I have not been able to check the amount of flow out the back yet as I have only been by myself since put on. It is a -10 stainless pick up ....
And I know, I need a real ride plate........................
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC01769-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC01773-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC01775-med.JPG
Bryan

sidewound
05-07-2004, 12:34 PM
I plumbed mine in line with the engine cooling water flow. What's the advantage to this setup. It looks pretty cool.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

BrendellaJet
05-07-2004, 01:46 PM
looks like the advantage would be to that oil will warm up faster with this set up vs. an oil cooler plumbed in line with the pump. When idling though and the motor is at operating temp, I guess this set up could lead to oil overheating, although it generally does not with a stock setup, so probably not an issue.
Definitely clean looking set up though. Looks good.

HBjet
05-07-2004, 01:47 PM
looks good, just wondering why you put the pickup on the other side of the pump, verses on the same side where the hose goes through the transom adapter.
HBjet

Bryan Rose
05-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Pick up hooked up would not clear the reverse cable... Drilled it before checking an had to move to the othe side, notice the first hole drilled on the right side at the end of the ride plate... So as always stated measure twice and drill once.... OOPS.

1HOTGMCJET
05-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Actually, HB brings up a good point, not necessarily for function, but something tells me that stainless chafing on your powdercoating isn't going to be good for either of them - NOT a criticism, it's a nice setup, just an observation from a perfectionist/appearance fanatic.........:D Good Luck with it!

flat broke
05-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Looks good!
As far as the statement about oil overheating at idle; if that is the case you have bigger problems than how you plumbed your cooler. The only downside I can see to that mounting location is picking up airated water. There isn't much of a way to overcome that except maybe plumb a strainer in front of the cooler so you have an accumulation tank(the strainer) to help keep the water pressure up. Remember when you plumb your oil temp sender/pickup, to plumb it on the outlet side of the cooler so you see the oil tem going into the motor after its been cooled instead of coming out of the sump before it gets cooled.
Good job on your boat and keep up the good work.
Chris

Wet Dream
05-07-2004, 03:24 PM
I would think the best place to mount the oil temp sending unit is on the pan. Then you know the real oil temp before it gets to the pickup and through the oil pump.

Bryan Rose
05-07-2004, 03:34 PM
good point about the chaifeing on the powder coating, made sure that the the line run the way it is there is no contact with the pump housing or the steering arm. I would think that the water there should be pretty clean as far as aeration is concerned, this weekend I will have a spectator looking over the back to see how much flow it is really getting on the overboard dump line, Also the temp sender is going to be mounted in the pan....and no never had any problems with temp at idle.
Bryan:D :D :D

superdave013
05-07-2004, 06:39 PM
that's gonna flow plenty. We cut the pick ups down a little for less drag on the flatbottoms.
A -8 pick up will cool a BBC no problem so I think that -10 should work for the oil cooler.

Bryan Rose
05-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Good to hear Superdave............................... should flow plenty , think the location is good for clear un-aerated water?

superdave013
05-07-2004, 11:41 PM
I think it's in as good of a spot as you're gonna get it.
The airateor is the big thing right above it. lol :cool:

Aluminum Squirt
05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
I love backyard engineering, that's what boating is all about. Not sure if it would add anything to my river racing sled but I like it. Very clean install-Aluinum Squirt
PS-Got me thinking, what if you used a smaller one for your exhaust water injection???? You could plumb the motor like you were running dry exhaust, then add this little set up, maybe throw in a gate valve, to your water injection lines. Then you wouldn't need a Tee valve spring, banderlog etc. No/low speed=little or no water, get it moving, then you have water. I guess if you chopped the throttle at speed, you have way too much water. Okay, I'm a dumbass and its late, disregard my idea. I still like your set up.

Wet Dream
05-08-2004, 05:22 AM
AS, you were on to something there, but the bottom fell out with the cutting throttle at speed. Damn that was good idea too.;)