PDA

View Full Version : Settle an argument for us....

dimarcobros
05-07-2004, 02:37 PM
How can you tell if a Rolex is real?
DMB

copperrat20
05-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Send it to Rolex and they will inspect it for free and tell you whether it is real or not.

copperrat20
05-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Where did you get it?

bohica
05-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Most of the fake ones are quartz, meaning they run on a battery. 2nd hand will jump with each second. Real ones are perpetual, self winding, and smooth around the dial.
There are some good fake ones that are smooth.

dimarcobros
05-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by copperrat20
Send it to Rolex and they will inspect it for free and tell you whether it is real or not.
Really?:confused:
DMB

dimarcobros
05-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by copperrat20
Where did you get it?
I didn't, we were just talking about it.
DMB

Jordy
05-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Everything you ever wanted to know:
http://www.replicacenter.com/replica_frame.htm

copperrat20
05-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Yes, really. I own two. I bought a third about six months ago and it quit on me after a few weeks. It was used- and it was all gauranteed. So I took it back and they sent it to rolex. Rolex sent it back and said they don't fix watches that aren't theirs. So the guy gave me my money back. It was such a good replica not even a rolex dealer could tell the difference. But rolex could. All of the services that rolex did were free.

dimarcobros
05-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Is this true.....you aren't suppose to hear ticking when you put it to your ear?
DMB

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 02:54 PM
I want to buy one for Mr. Scream someday
(don't tell him)
lol;)

THATJEFFGUY
05-07-2004, 02:57 PM
I collect Rolex's and Breitlings...and you can definitely tell the difference between a real and a fake ! If you aren't familiar with what you are looking for, just take it a reputable jeweler who sells Rolex's..they can usually check the serial #'s on a real Rolex and see if it's real. Also, Rolex watches normally have their model and serial numbers on the ouside side of the case, between the lugs where the bracelet or strap attach. You can even call Rolex yourself directly and have them check for you.
New York City / US HQ & Service Center (212) 758-7700
Dallas Service Center (241) 871-0500
Los Angeles Service Center (310) 271-6200
Hope that settles it !

Flying Tiger
05-07-2004, 02:58 PM
They're some fakes sold downtown LA that are near impossible to tell.
They guys I know that bought them said they quit running in about 4 months.

nutsack
Originally posted by Debbolas
I want to buy one for Mr. Scream someday
(don't tell him)
lol;)
what a surrprise that mis know it all has an opinion,,,,,,,,,,SHUT UP BITCH!!!!! go get that shity tit job or yorus looked at. :yuk:

summerlove
Originally posted by bohica
Most of the fake ones are quartz, meaning they run on a battery. 2nd hand will jump with each second. Real ones are perpetual, self winding, and smooth around the dial.
There are some good fake ones that are smooth.
correct!

1stepcloser
05-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by nutsack
what a surrprise that mis know it all has an opinion,,,,,,,,,,SHUT UP BITCH!!!!! go get that shity tit job or yorus looked at. :yuk:
Whoa!!! easy there Turbo, you're treadin on thin ice there, pal.
First, learn how to spell.
Then go away, Dipshit.:rolleyes:

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 03:42 PM
What is the price range for Rolex's anyway..... I know they are very expensive...

Bigyellowcat
05-07-2004, 03:45 PM
I have a real $1200.00 gucci that loses about 15 min a day and i have sent it in several times, and i use my $10 fake gucci to reset the expensive one because it keeps perfect time.

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 03:47 PM
LOL :D
Is that the starting price for Rolex's as well?

Bigyellowcat
05-07-2004, 03:50 PM
my mom went to china last week and brought me back a bag of rolexes, the ones that are supposed to be the most real looking ones. I took them to the local rolex dealer to see what he said and i had one and told him i wanted to know what it was worth and he said 7-9 thousand and i told him to look it over real close to make sure it was not fake and he told me it was real, then i went out to the truck and brought the whole bag of them in and told him if there real what would he buy them for. He then realized they were fake but if i had not brought the bag of them in i probably could have told him i needed money and i would sell it for 2k. Hmmmmm maybe i will be going to another rolex place. skater here i come.

PlyaPlya22
05-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
I collect Rolex's and Breitlings...and you can definitely tell the difference between a real and a fake ! If you aren't familiar with what you are looking for, just take it a reputable jeweler who sells Rolex's..they can usually check the serial #'s on a real Rolex and see if it's real. Also, Rolex watches normally have their model and serial numbers on the ouside side of the case, between the lugs where the bracelet or strap attach. You can even call Rolex yourself directly and have them check for you.
New York City / US HQ & Service Center (212) 758-7700
Dallas Service Center (241) 871-0500
Los Angeles Service Center (310) 271-6200
Hope that settles it !
I bought a Breitling about 2 years ago from a guy that was getting divorced and was trying to liquidate everything. Sheez that thing is worth 1500.00 bucks. I need a new band and no one has them. Any idea on where I can get one??What a score!!:D

manuel
05-07-2004, 04:46 PM
There are fakes that fool the pro's, the cases are identical, at the watch shows they open them up to prove it, my friend has a fake that is solid 18K gold but fake movement, but he was told it was a fake when he bought it, my Submariner (3 years old) would lose about 10 min. a week, I sent it to the service center and they would only calibrate it if I also had it cleaned, $375. I said why would a 3 year old waterproof watch need cleaning ?, I sold it for $1,800. and bought an Omega seamaster, not as impressive but it keeps better time, and just because a Rolex has the box,papers,tags don't be fooled, they sell ALL of that on ebay

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 04:49 PM
So, I couldn' t buy one for Mr. Scream for around $500?
What is another good watch?

PlyaPlya22
05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
If not I'm sure he'd take the dough!LOL

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Doh!
LOL :D

Sleek-Jet
05-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
So, I couldn' t buy one for Mr. Scream for around $500?
What is another good watch?
Timex. :D Keeps just as good time.... Best 50.00 I've ever spent.

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Rolexs has a few distinguishable features about them.
sweep second hand No tic ,tic, each second usually a 16 count 8 step second hand also a hack second hand meaning it stops when the crown is pulled . lock down crown. perpetual motion (self winding ) in full rotation not ratchet . screw down back , solid metals no base metal . check for crispness in all markings including the crown stamp on the winding stem. A true Rolex is purrrrfect.
also if you could unscrew the back and look at the works it will be tagged with the Rolex brand along with the production date.
also a good Rolex dealer can tell the difference if he takes the time to do a thorough inspection.
If you have any doubts about the watch your getting ready to drop a load of cash on , move on theres more out there .
if youre into collecting older watches the Bouliva Accutrons are a good model to watch esp the 214 model and theres no counterfiets because of the tuning fork workings
(the watch that hums ) it was the first electronic watch on the market highly respected NASA used Accutron time pieces on the Appollo spacecraft :D
Just My .02
Latah gang
C.T. :wink:

Mandelon
05-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
How can you tell if a Rolex is real?
DMB
Smash it with a hammer. Real Rolexes can take it. If its fake it will break easily.......:D :D

19cobaltcd
05-07-2004, 07:09 PM
I have some fake Rolex's I got last year in Italy. From what I've heard some jewelers have a hard time telling it. I wear it all the time and it never looses a second. It has a smooth sweep, is self winding and quiet. They only cost me 75.00 each. Best money I ever spent.:)

spectras only
05-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Any good watchmaker can tell the diff between real and fake watches.They would open the back to inspect the movements for sure.I personally like old school mechanical watches , even though I have a 1980 model 18Karat Eterna quartz with 7 rubies [helps to last much longer]in the movement.My brother used to fix watches like Longines ,Omega, Eterna ,Movado , Patek Philippe etc....and watching him I've got smitten by swiss machines;) for ever.However the newer Seiko watches are excellent value for what they cost [they have a self wind model] and keep time as accurate as any swiss watch.Omega has a comeback after a long priod of quality problems, Breitlings are really nice and expensive[ no wonder it was standard issue for the german airforce and the Gestapo ].I think Rolex starts at 1500-2000 for base model. Tudor is a sideline for rolex and much cheaper.To sum it up , a real Rolex will last a lifetime if taken care of.

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by spectras only
the newer Seiko watches are excellent value for what they cost [they have a self wind model] and keep time as accurate as any swiss watch.
Just so I wouldnt wear my Accutron all the time
I just bought a Seiko 5 automatic (selfwinding) a couple of weeks ago . solid stainless case day date and water resistant for $35.00 New ! It hasnt lost a min. since I put it on. Ive had older Seikos back when they cost a fortune and they still tick .
Hopefully the new ones will stand the test of time too.
theres a couple of em on E bay at about the same price.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1127Seiko_5.jpg

Just Tool'n
05-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
Rolexs has a few distinguishable features about them.
sweep second hand No tic ,tic, each second usually a 16 count 8 step second hand also a hack second hand meaning it stops when the crown is pulled . lock down crown. perpetual motion (self winding ) in full rotation not ratchet . screw down back , solid metals no base metal . check for crispness in all markings including the crown stamp on the winding stem. A true Rolex is purrrrfect.
also if you could unscrew the back and look at the works it will be tagged with the Rolex brand along with the production date.
also a good Rolex dealer can tell the difference if he takes the time to do a thorough inspection.
If you have any doubts about the watch your getting ready to drop a load of cash on , move on theres more out there .
if youre into collecting older watches the Bouliva Accutrons are a good model to watch esp the 214 model and theres no counterfiets because of the tuning fork workings
(the watch that hums ) it was the first electronic watch on the market highly respected NASA used Accutron time pieces on the Appollo spacecraft :D
Just My .02
Latah gang
I thought that NASA used Omega watches on the Apollo missions?
Didn't Omega make a man on the moon watch, suppose to be highly collectable?

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 09:20 PM
In 1960 NASA asks Bulova to incorporate Accutron technology into its equipment for the space program. The CEO of Bulova at the time was Omar Bradley, 5 Star General, US Army, Retired. During those early years Accutron timing mechanisms were used in 46 US space program missions. An Accutron watch movement sits on the moon's Sea of Tranquility today, in an instrument placed there in 1969 by Apollo 11 astronauts, the first men on the moon.
excerpt from http://www.accutron214.com/AccutronHistory.htm
The flight crew may have worn Omega watches
the Accutron movements were part of the spacecrafts flight control systems
I have been known to be wrong on occation .:D

spectras only
05-07-2004, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
[B]Just so I wouldnt wear my Accutron all the time
I just bought a Seiko 5 automatic (selfwinding) a couple of weeks ago . solid stainless case day date and water resistant for $35.00 New ! CT , what a find:cool: ! Wouldn't mind buying one for myself for that price;) .Can't wear the Eterna while boating .Have a 60's ladies gold Gendis 17 ruby mechanical ,waterproof inca block for sale.My wife can't be bothered winding it every second day:rolleyes: .Also I have a Bergeon swiss watchmaker lathe for sale if there are any jeweler buffs here [sorry for the spam:p ] They're $20K US retail new and extremely rare. Here are some pics http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/bergeon%20lathe%20copy.jpghttp://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/bergeon%20lathe.1%20copy.jpg

MagicMtnDan
05-07-2004, 10:18 PM
It's fake if it says "Rolodex" on the face :D

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
It's fake if it says "Rolodex" on the face :D
LMAO :D

MudPumper
05-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by nutsack
Can ***boat not block this persons IP?? Nutsack, Woodrow, whoever this person may be. WTF??

Cheap Thrills
05-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Ummm Yeh ,, but the hate mail thread is down the hall to your left . try reporting it to the moderators .

SoCalOffshore
05-08-2004, 07:42 AM
I have a GMT Master 2, 18kt gold and stainless. Real Rolex's have a green thingy on the back of the case and they are not that accurate in keeping time. :D

manuel
05-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Green thingy's are real cheap and easy to find,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4110641210&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

riverbound
05-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Buy it from a reputable dealer I bought mine from ben bridge. I know I paid more but its worth the piece of mind knowing its not fake.
What is the price range for Rolex's anyway..... I know they are very expensive...
I paid $4000 for mine
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_328-med.jpg