PDA

View Full Version : Scream and Debbolas....

fourspeednup
05-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Since you two live in the same house(I would be led to believe), and you're often on here together...how do you post at the same time? Two computers? Both logged in?
Sorry, but my mind wanders into vast nothingness sometimes;)

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 11:07 PM
promise not to tease us?

fourspeednup
05-07-2004, 11:10 PM
I don't tease dearie:cool:

Debbolas
05-07-2004, 11:13 PM
ok, well I had a 3 level spinal fusion a few years ago, so we have these recliners that we sit in (great for the back, and my bum knee) anyway, they are in our family room, so we sit here,next to each other and post on ***boat on our laptop computers.
sometimes he PM's me to get dinner ready....
LOL :D
and we have the wireless internet house thing......

fourspeednup
05-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
ok, well I had a 3 level spinal fusion a few years ago, so we have these recliners that we sit in (great for the back, and my bum knee) anyway, they are in our family room, so we sit here,next to each other and post on ***boat on our laptop computers.
and we have the wireless internet house thing...... That's awesome! It's like sitting and watching TV, but you get to interact with it. I'd totally do that but the warm laptop on my nuts is a little off-putting:eek: :D

Scream
05-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Yea. That's a little weird. When I was a kid, computers were a big dealio. I used to program basic on a Comodore Pet. I wanted my kids to have access to computers and to the internet (responsibly) so I installed a simple wireless router (skipping technology jumps here). Then I did the deed. I bought my wife a laptop for our 15th. The rest is post ***** history...

fourspeednup
05-07-2004, 11:23 PM
so I installed a simple wireless router (skipping technology jumps here). Much appreciated:D
The rest is post ***** history... History in the making! I'm just glad I can be a part of it;)

Phat Matt
05-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Yea. That's a little weird. When I was a kid, computers were a big dealio. I used to program basic on a Comodore Pet. I wanted my kids to have access to computers and to the internet (responsibly) so I installed a simple wireless router (skipping technology jumps here). Then I did the deed. I bought my wife a laptop for our 15th. The rest is post ***** history...
Don't make me bust out the Vic 20 lingo...cpu progamming. :D

Kachina26
05-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Yeah, we had green screen computers in school too.

Dr. Eagle
05-08-2004, 07:18 AM
Don't you just love that Deb? I have that set up at my house too and it rocks. I sit in my nice Leather recliner with my computer and post like mad. Now staying down here with the folks is a bit different. I have to wait until my dad is done with his computer or get on dial up on my laptop. That really sucks...
I miss my wireless.

JetBoatRich
05-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Wireless is the way to go:cool: our whole house is wireless;) The kids computers have wireless cards, they want to move the rooms around no big deal. And of course laptops:D

Scream
05-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Oh, I remember my first laptop...
A Panasonic Senior Partner.
About the size of a mini tower on it's side. The front detached and became the keyboard. It had an integrated monitor and 2, count em, 2 5 1/4 floppy drives, single side, single density. For a $400 option you could buy a 10 Mb hard drive and install it. It also had a thermal printer in the top. It was pretty cool.

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Ok,
I remember programing computers with punchcards.....(thats old)
:D

Tom Brown
05-08-2004, 10:33 AM
When I was a kid, we carved our own ICs out of wood.

HCS
05-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Yeah, we had green screen computers in school too.
Were still using green screens here at my work. It has takin me
two freaking years to get them to switch mine out for a real computer.
The one I'm using is a hunk pile but it's good enough to post on here.:D
My home computer is not a lap top, but it kicks ass.

Cheap Thrills
05-08-2004, 11:01 AM
, so we have these recliners that we sit in (great for the back, and my bum knee) anyway, they are in our family room, so we sit here,next to each other and post on ***boat on our laptop computers.
You Sound as bad as me , except Im usually in bed with my girlfried err laptop . I love the wireless . sometimes when Im really bored I'll do a little war driving (Scanning for wireless networks) arround town . so far Ive logged over 150 different routers :D
some encrypted some not :p
I hope your fan mail has stopped leme know K .
C.T. winkin at cha :wink:

Kachina26
05-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
You Sound as bad as me , except Im usually in bed with my girlfried err laptop . I love the wireless . sometimes when Im really bored I'll do a little war driving (Scanning for wireless networks) arround town . so far Ive logged over 150 different routers :D
My son said I'm the only one who does that!

Kachina26
05-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Were still using green screens here at my work. It has takin me
two freaking years to get them to switch mine out for a real computer.
The one I'm using is a hunk pile but it's good enough to post on here.:D
My home computer is not a lap top, but it kicks ass.
Our service writers are still on that kind of system. ADP is absolute crap! But then it is a far cry better than the hand written stuff they were doing just 5 short years ago.

Just Tool'n
05-08-2004, 01:39 PM
I still have in my garage the first portable computer made.
The Compaq Luggable. 22lbs, looked life you were carrying a sewing machine. Bottom of case was the keyboard, then the green screen. 286 with 640K of ram, it was the mean machine back in the day, running DOS ver 3.31
I am keeping it, because one day when I am old & feeble, I will go on the antique roadshow, & I will have myself a $100,000 collectable.:D

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Yeah, no new messages, thats good.
I don't understand what war driving is? How do you scan for wireless networks?

HCS
05-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Our service writers are still on that kind of system. ADP is absolute crap! But then it is a far cry better than the hand written stuff they were doing just 5 short years ago.
That's it, ADP. Us parts guys have the upgraded system. Parts
catalogs on CD, Imagin that.
After all these years.

Cheap Thrills
05-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Yeah, no new messages, thats good.
I don't understand what war driving is? How do you scan for wireless networks?
I use a program called Net Stumbler .
Its like a radio scanner well it is a radio frequency scanner that uses your laptop and wireless network card to scan for other networks . just get in the car fire up your laptop and start
Net Stumbler it will sniff out other existing wireless networks as you move about . it laso works with GPS software so it logs the location as well as the networks name , encryption signal strength ect . if your into radio like I am you'll like the Cantenna too,
its a high gain directional waveguide antenna that greatly increases the distance of the signal . you can construct one from a Pringles potato chip can and a few other misc. odds and ends.
heres a couple of links if your interested.
Net Stumbler Download 1.26 MB (http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=getit&lid=24)
Cantenna (http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448)
Have Fun :D
C.T. :wink:

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Can you see what they are doing on the computer? Or do you just find their signal strength?

Cheap Thrills
05-08-2004, 02:58 PM
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I may incriminate myself :D

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 02:59 PM
gee, I hope we have a good security system...thingy for our wireless, I didn't even think about that.....

Kachina26
05-08-2004, 03:05 PM
At the very least use the password protection feature that came with it. That'll stop the amatures like myself.

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Did you get my pm?
What password protection feature
(I will have to ask Mr. Scream about that)
Are you going to OP6C?;)

Dr. Eagle
05-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Ok,
I remember programing computers with punchcards.....(thats old)
I did that too. Remember the Keypunch machines?:D

Kachina26
05-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Did you get my pm?
What password protection feature
(I will have to ask Mr. Scream about that)
Are you going to OP6C?;)
No, no PM. As a matter of fact my user cp isn't even showing threads that I am subscribed to.
Don't think I can make OP6C although I sent Mr Scream my story about having inadvertantly attending last years event.

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
I did that too. Remember the Keypunch machines?:D
It was such a pain, if you did just one card wrong, you had to start all over. I use to help my boyfriend punch the cards for the programs. Was that Cobal?

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 05:39 PM
I meant ForTran....................
:D ;)

Tom Brown
05-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I remember paper tape. :)

Dr. Eagle
05-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I meant ForTran....................
:D ;)
Yes it was Fortran. That is what I wrote programs in...
The mainframe computer at my high school (most didn't have one in the early 70s) was less powerful than my commodore 64... but it did have a hard drive...

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 05:43 PM
This was college for me buddy!
Orange Coast College
200 Fortran punchcards, in order, to write the program.
(and people wonder why I don't like windows)
(remember DOS? I miss DOS)
:(

Cheap Thrills
05-08-2004, 05:47 PM
most wireless routers have what they call WEP wich stands for wired equiv. protection . wich involves some rate of encryption
my Belkin 54G has both 64 and 128 bit encryption . if you set that up then no worries almost impossible to crack .
check your manual dont leave your system wide open esp if you have shared drives/folders and close neighbors :D
C.T. :p tweekin and winkin :wink:

Dr. Eagle
05-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Los Alamitos High School used a fexible scheduling system with 15 minute "Mods" or modules used to make up a class period. The class duration could be any combination of Mods. The class schedules were generated each evening and your first class was not "homeroom" but "scheduling". They had a mid 60s vintage IBM FOrtran computer to run the schedules. That was the same computer we used for our computer programming classes...

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 05:51 PM
most wireless routers have what they call WEP wich stands for wired equiv. protection . wich involves some rate of encryption
my Belkin 54G has both 64 and 128 bit encryption . if you set that up then no worries almost impossible to crack .
check your manual dont leave your system wide open esp if you have shared drives/folders and close neighbors :D
C.T. :p tweekin and winkin :wink:
(I don't really live in Alta Loma)
I just checked with my boat driver/Computer Security Expert and he says we have a really big "doberman"type of wireless encription.....
Did you read the book "The Blue Nowhere", excellent book.

Dr. Eagle
05-08-2004, 09:06 PM
(I don't really live in Alta Loma)
I just checked with my boat driver/Computer Security Expert and he says we have a really big "doberman"type of wireless encription.....
Did you read the book "The Blue Nowhere", excellent book.
So Deb, you saying your computer security has gone to the dogs?

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 09:08 PM
NO!
It is very ferocious, just like a doberman............
don't cruise by our house with the scanner thing man.......
;)

Dr. Eagle
05-08-2004, 09:10 PM
The coffee can thingee......?

Debbolas
05-08-2004, 09:17 PM
I don't know, I just know that a couple of boaters here have some scanner thing that can read your wireless internet ......................but our doberman will bite them!;)

Dr. Eagle
05-08-2004, 09:25 PM
I don't know, I just know that a couple of boaters here have some scanner thing that can read your wireless internet ......................but our doberman will bite them!;)
Aha.........;)

Debbolas
05-09-2004, 05:24 PM

Essex502
05-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Just Tool'n
I still have in my garage the first portable computer made.
The Compaq Luggable. 22lbs, looked life you were carrying a sewing machine. Bottom of case was the keyboard, then the green screen. 286 with 640K of ram, it was the mean machine back in the day, running DOS ver 3.31
I am keeping it, because one day when I am old & feeble, I will go on the antique roadshow, & I will have myself a $100,000 collectable.:D
I had two of those Compaq "portables" - one with a 5 megabyte hard drive and the other with two 5-1/4" floppy drives...donated both to the Good Will years ago.

Scream
05-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
I had two of those Compaq "portables" - one with a 5 megabyte hard drive and the other with two 5-1/4" floppy drives...donated both to the Good Will years ago.
I believe the Compaq and the Panasonic were the same, I know there were two brands for the same machine. I wish I still had mine. I used to use it to do packet on ham radio and other "cool" stuff.

Dr. Eagle
05-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Scream
I believe the Compaq and the Panasonic were the same, I know there were two brands for the same machine. I wish I still had mine. I used to use it to do packet on ham radio and other "cool" stuff.
I still have a CPM (Pre-DOS) machine with two 5-1/4 drives. One drive was for the program or application, the other for data. It had a built in 5" green monitor. I don't know why I keep it... seems like it may be a museum piece one day.