PDA

View Full Version : InnerCooler/SuperChiller ??

FastRat1
09-15-2003, 11:15 AM
i am not new to blowers..i had them on my dragsters..but..i am new to the application in a boat..PLS explain the purpose/function of a innercooler/superchiller..are they one and the same?..which one is better?
thnx for any info
Ron

superdave013
09-15-2003, 11:29 AM
A superchiller is an intercooler. It's just a brand name. All they are is an air to water heat exchanger. It cools the intake charge. This makes your intake charge more dense. The more dense the better and it will make more power. They also will help with detonation.

Rock-it man
09-15-2003, 02:15 PM
there is a huge differance in innercoolers ,a superchiller is great up to 9 lbs boost but over that its not the way to go .I have a superchiller and am going to sell it and the blowershop 1471 as I need to run 14+ lbs to get to where I want to go and a PSI and Richard Lee innercooler will be the way to go.IM running a blown 598 now and the setup woorks great but its maxed out for power and speed using it on an 2003 datona 26 running 122+ all the time ROCKIT MAN

P-Money
09-15-2003, 03:41 PM
a superchiller is great up to 9 lbs boost but over that its not the way to go .I have a superchiller and am going to sell it ...What happens to the Superchiller after 9lbs? Can't keep the air cool? Also, what are you going to be asking for your Superchiller, I'm in the market for an intercooler right now.

superdave013
09-15-2003, 04:06 PM
P-Money:
a superchiller is great up to 9 lbs boost but over that its not the way to go .I have a superchiller and am going to sell it ...What happens to the Superchiller after 9lbs? Can't keep the air cool? Also, what are you going to be asking for your Superchiller, I'm in the market for an intercooler right now. I'ed like to know too. I was almost getting 100 degrees of temp drop with my superchiller. That was at 25 psi. I tested it with a pressure blower at work and had thermocouples above it and below it at one point when it was in the boat.
The Lee coolers are great but if you want the very best then look into the Whipples. They have a cupernicole (sp) core and get great heat transfers. But they are pretty $$$.
Bro, I can swing you a deal on a cooler if you want. I'll pm you some info.

79 HUSTLER
09-15-2003, 06:55 PM
rock-it-If you are really interested in a lee intercooler my neighbor (j-540) makes intercoolers that works bitchen. His cores are made by the same company as lee but his cores are a little wider (meaning more air flow and more water flow=more effecient) I had a lee unit on mine until I sold it and in my opinion this looks so much cleaner and has much more plumbing options then any other core out there. The Lee's are a great unit but for the price and looks of these this is the only way to go. Superdave posted a photo of his core which is one of J540's under (i'm cooler then you-blower motors). One of his cooler can be had for about half the cost of a richard lee unit. PM me if you would like more info and I will forward it to him or send you some pics, Later KELLY

J540
09-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Rock-it man:
there is a huge differance in innercoolers ,a superchiller is great up to 9 lbs boost but over that its not the way to go .I have a superchiller and am going to sell it and the blowershop 1471 as I need to run 14+ lbs to get to where I want to go and a PSI and Richard Lee innercooler will be the way to go.IM running a blown 598 now and the setup woorks great but its maxed out for power and speed using it on an 2003 datona 26 running 122+ all the time ROCKIT MAN Bro i can get well over 14lbs of boost with your 14,who sold you this info.shoot them in the head :D this pic' of mine has a pice of shit stripped 50 million x's 14-71 Hi\helix of an alky dragster.years ago. cuz i sold my good 14 to SVO540. any way 12/lbs at 8%over 54 top 56 bottom 22/lbs with ??? DAM i will post back forgot what the top was,think 49 its in boat.Bro you dont need a psi at twice the weight and $$$$.and far as a lee cooler.well get back to me. JOHN

J540
09-15-2003, 09:46 PM
J540:
Rock-it man:
there is a huge differance in innercoolers ,a superchiller is great up to 9 lbs boost but over that its not the way to go .I have a superchiller and am going to sell it and the blowershop 1471 as I need to run 14+ lbs to get to where I want to go and a PSI and Richard Lee innercooler will be the way to go.IM running a blown 598 now and the setup woorks great but its maxed out for power and speed using it on an 2003 datona 26 running 122+ all the time ROCKIT MAN Bro i can get well over 14lbs of boost with your 14,who sold you this info.shoot them in the head :D this pic' of mine has a pice of shit stripped 50 million x's 14-71 Hi\helix of an alky dragster.years ago. cuz i sold my good 14 to SVO540. any way 12/lbs at 8%over 54 top 56 bottom 22/lbs with ??? DAM i will post back forgot what the top was,think 49 its in boat.Bro you dont need a psi at twice the weight and $$$$.and far as a lee cooler.well get back to me. JOHN 575cu
OH mine 575cu. also supperchiller on a blown gas flat in NJBA took a 251 blower temp with 28lbs of boost down to 148 not a lot considering it was ice water going in the cooler. little info some guy took mine and made 109hp more with 4/lbs boost14-71 on 92. the kicker is thay had 156deg, water temp going in the cooler jawdrop dont ask why.

superdave013
09-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Here is a pic of one of J540's coolers.
They are nice units.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9John_s_intercooler-med.jpg

VD CRUISER
09-16-2003, 06:23 PM
J540, do you make the complete intercooler or just the core ?

J540
09-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Every thing you see + gasket,O ring's and rolled thread s.s. stud's.the intercooler is ready to bolt on,add water and GO.If you would like more info please ask, by the way if you want to see it,i will be at parker this thur,9/18/03 or needles wed,fri and sat.this week with my boat.and may bring some up.also SVO540 has one on his boat you can look at.

VD CRUISER
09-30-2003, 05:23 PM
J540,
Did you get my e-mail with questions about your intercooler ? If not please email me with some information.
Barry

Whipple Charged
09-30-2003, 10:44 PM
I would not run a PSI with a Lee intercooler core. You will have problems with the core coming apart, melting, etc. We have a cuprnickel core that has about a 8% better heat transfer rate and melts about 1400 degrees hotter. It's what most are using, Mercury Racing also uses this and no longer use the aluminum cores.
Dustin

Whipple Charged
09-30-2003, 10:46 PM
J540, are you just using the Lee housing or did you cast your own?
Thanks,
Dustin

VD CRUISER
10-03-2003, 05:04 PM
J540, How do I get more information on your intercooler ?

superdave013
10-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Whipple Charged:
J540, are you just using the Lee housing or did you cast your own?
Thanks,
Dustin Dustin, He casts his own. They are pretty close to a Lee but have a few differences. The cooler in the above pic I held in my own 2 hands. It's a pretty nice housing for sure.