PDA

View Full Version : Flapper Drains

LUVNLIFE
05-09-2004, 07:37 AM
On the boat I just bought each sponson has a flapper drain in it instead of a drain plug. The Rex Marine catalog calls them Plastic J Drains. I have never used this type and was wondering if they work good or can I expect problems. Thanks in advance.

Jetdriver
05-09-2004, 09:01 AM
I have heard people go both ways with these things Cale. I know that the PWC guys use them alot. I would think that if you were thinking about leaving it in the water over night I would change to the normal plugs and an auto bilge. :D

LUVNLIFE
05-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Shawn I haven't got down and looked but am I going to have to do fiberglass repair. Those flappers are bigger than regular plugs right?

DUNDUN
05-09-2004, 12:25 PM
We have flappers and they work great! It's water tight.

Oldsquirt
05-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by LUVNLIFE
Shawn I haven't got down and looked but am I going to have to do fiberglass repair. Those flappers are bigger than regular plugs right?
I think it was Superdave who mentioned in another thread that you can just lift up the rubber flap and install a regular plug.

DUNDUN
05-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT
I think it was Superdave who mentioned in another thread that you can just lift up the rubber flap and install a regular plug.
Our boat HAD three flaps. The middle flap tore off so we put a permanent plug there. Like I said, water tight. :)

BigBoyToys
05-09-2004, 01:21 PM
"Flappers" as you call them, are J-Drains. Lotsa V-drive boats use them and I've seen them on a few jets. The theory behind it is that they seal while you're in the water, but while you are moving (cruising around, racing, etc) they allow any water that is inside the boat to go out. A handy little thing to have if your boat is low profile and gets swamped by waves. Usually, the J-Drain hole size IS the same size as a drain plug and you should be able to use a plug instead if you prefer. But, if you do use a plug, a Bilge pump is highly recommended;)

LUVNLIFE
05-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will keep them and run them. I always carry extra drain plugs if I have a prob. There is a flapper in each sponson and a plug in the middle and it also has three bilge pumps. Thanks again.