PDA

View Full Version : 425 H.O. Procharger

CARGUY
06-26-2003, 08:54 AM
A couple of friends of mine have just bought new 25 Daytona's with 496 H.O.'s and are wondering what performance increases to expect from a procharger. Any info would be appreciated.

Whipple Charged
06-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Call Fonse Performance in NJ, they've done a lot of Prochargers and they can tell you about some of the things you'll run into.
Thanks,
Dustin

James'SS-24
06-27-2003, 01:55 PM
DON'T DO IT. Whipple is a much better system! My HTM went from 66 to 88 MPH on gps at 6000 ft. elevation! And starts and idles like a stock engine. :D

bigger iz better
06-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Powerboat April 2003 test results: Procharger 3.5 pond kit: 580 HP, 5 pound kit: 625 HP (before 65.1 mph, after 78.2 mph)
Whipplecharger 5/6 pound kit: 625/645 HP (before75.9 mph, after 90.1 mph)

BoatFloating
07-01-2003, 11:07 AM
James'SS-24:
DON'T DO IT. Whipple is a much better system! My HTM went from 66 to 88 MPH on gps at 6000 ft. elevation! And starts and idles like a stock engine. :D That is pretty good numbers at elevation. My boat at Powell 3700ft will hit 60 mph and thats it with a stock 496HO. So you are saying you will hit 66 mph at 6000ft, intresting. I find that a little hard to beleive. I think a stock 496HO at Havasu 800ft in a HTM does 67 mph maybe 70. Maybe you can let me know what is the difference with your boat.

FASTERDAMITT
07-01-2003, 11:59 AM
OK guys boost is boost. 5#s is 5#s. ProCharger is the most efficient. Meaning power lost driving the supercharger. Whipple would be second and then the old roots blowers requiring the most power to drive the big blades. Therefore Procharger should have the most power output at a given # of boost.
I run 7#s ProCharger @ 102mph 105deg temps at Havasu on a massaged 454Mag.
"As quoted by Bigger iz better"
13.1 Mph increase on 3.5#s ProCharger
14.2 Mph increase on 5/6#'s Whipple
Thats 1.1 mph on 1.5 to 2.5#'s of additional boost with the Whipple over the Procharger. if you increased the Procharger to 5 or 6#'s you'll probably see 5 mph more.
Now does Procharger make a 5# kit? If not, why? Are the valves in these 496's capable of 5# boost? Check it out before you destroy your summer. :)

Boozer
07-01-2003, 12:08 PM
FASTERDAMITT:
OK guys boost is boost. 5#s is 5#s. ProCharger is the most efficient. Meaning power lost driving the supercharger. Whipple would be second and then the old roots blowers requiring the most power to drive the big blades. Therefore Procharger should have the most power output at a given # of boost.
I run 7#s ProCharger @ 102mph 105deg temps at Havasu on a massaged 454Mag.
"As quoted by Bigger iz better"
13.1 Mph increase on 3.5#s ProCharger
14.2 Mph increase on 5/6#'s Whipple
Thats 1.1 mph on 1.5 to 2.5#'s of additional boost with the Whipple over the Procharger. if you increased the Procharger to 5 or 6#'s you'll probably see 5 mph more.
Now does Procharger make a 5# kit? If not, why? Are the valves in these 496's capable of 5# boost? Check it out before you destroy your summer. :) Maybe that theory is correct with a Supercharger but I'm not sure if it is.
I don't blowers but I know turbos and I know boost isnt boost.
For example. I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-t that came with a stock turbo it was a Garrett T-25 and flowed 300cfm @ 15 psi. I later upgraded the turbo to a Mitsubishi 20G that was rated at 650cfm @ 15 psi. And well at 25 PSI that ****er moved. Talk about whiplash if you werent expecting the turbo hit. I was able to get 22psi out of the T-25 and it still had crappy performance.
I imagine that blowers are some what similar. Different blowers use different compressors and some may actually flow more air at 5 psi then a similar blower that has a smaller compressor wheel. Blowers use compressor wheels dont they?

FASTERDAMITT
07-01-2003, 01:50 PM
I don't know sh*t about turbos. But sounds like your referring to the exhaust housing flow capacity (cfm)? That would restrict the exhaust, correct? I'm not sure if it applies to the logic of my opinion.
Make sure you compair manifold boost to manifold boost. Not at the exit of the pump.
[ July 01, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: FASTERDAMITT ]

502procharger
07-01-2003, 07:52 PM
I will agree with "faster" 5lbs of boost cooled to the same temp trough an intercooler is 5lbs of boost. Now i have run and still run prochargers. Mine are on carb motors. Whipple makes a great product. Dustin is nothing but helpful to everyone on this board. Whipple makes a better efi setup hands down, they have the things dialed in great, and if they are not Dustin always seems to take care of it. Whipple offers the best 496 kits out there right now, in my opinion at least. Both companies build a good product, do your research, call Dustin and procharger and see what you feel best with. I think you will be happy either way. Good luck

Whipple Charged
07-02-2003, 12:33 PM
fasterdamnit,
A few facts, in many and most cases, a screw compressor is more efficient than a centrifugal (total AE). The example of the test was with Prochargers 5lb kit (yes 5, not 3.5) vs. our 5-6lb kit. This was not apples for apples, 2 different boats and you cannot compare the speed gains. One handled the power, one could not. One chined so bad nobody would drive it.
There is no question that our 496 system makes more power, has been tested far more and is more reliable. Also, these systems are far more complexed than just adding boost, theres spark advance, coil power, cylinder pressure, air fuel ratio, density of air charge, etc. that goes into making power.
Boost is actually somewhat of a crude way of measuring the air outside the valves. Standard gauges do not take air density into account. I think I know what your trying to say, but 5lbs of boost is not always the same when using a standard boost gauge. As 502 said, if there cooled to the same temp, then there density factors would be identical and therefore the boost levels would be identical, but the chances of that are slim to none.
Dustin

Keith E. Sayre
07-02-2003, 03:52 PM
While I don't intend to get into the whipple
versus procharger thing, I do know that last year
we did about 17 whippled HP500's before one failed. Pretty impressive. Here's my concern.
The 496 and 496HO don't have forged pistons. Merc calls them hypereuctectic or something like
that. I'm led to understand that they have the
longevity of a cast piston but have the ability to resist extremely high cylinder temps like a forged piston. If this is the case, great! I am
wondering what would happen if you got a bad
batch of gas??
Keith Sayre
Lake Havasu City
Conquest Boats

FASTERDAMITT
07-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Dustin,
I've always was informed that a centrifigul was the most efficient, but you should know. I would like to see a head to head test with all three types of blowers.
By the way, I'm glad to see your success in the marine enviorment. Nice supercharger package! :)
[ July 02, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: FASTERDAMITT ]

James'SS-24
07-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Boatfloating, The speeds are recorded on gps. 66 with about 30 gallons of fuel and air temp of about 60 and just me in the boat and the normal stuff we all carry. This last weekend the boat pulled an even 90 with the new pulley Dustin sent me so I can pull a solid 6 lbs of boost. Thanks Dustin! That was with just me in the boat and 40 gallons of fuel and air temp of about 80. So you can run the numbers if you want I'm pulling a 32 pitch bravo one with 1.5 gears at 4900rpm. The only thing I can figure is they really dialed in the setup when they built mine. It has always run hard. Brand new It pulled upper 70's on Havasu with a labbed 28 and 50 gals of fuel. That was in Feb of 01. Pretty cool out. March of 02 with me and my girl at the time and enough stuff to overnight on the boat it still pulled about 72mph. I go to Powell quite a bit maybe we can meet up and we'll go for a ride! :D Weight, trim and temperature make a big difference!
[ July 02, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: James'SS-24 ]

James'SS-24
07-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey boatfloating, what kind of HTM? SS or SR? An SR is 500 lbs heavier and 9" taller than an SS. Not to be argumentative here but there are a lot of variables that can account for the difference! Mine with three peeps and middle of the summer was doing good to get 60 up here before the Whipplecharger!
[ July 02, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: James'SS-24 ]

HighRoller
07-06-2003, 08:09 PM
You can't compare two different systems based on just a boost number.You have to take into consideration the volume of air,not just the pressure.For example,you have a 1 inch orifice and a 5 inch orifice.You can force 5psi of air through both of them but obviously the larger orifice will have a greater volume.