PDA

View Full Version : GT Performance 540's???

roln 20s
02-25-2002, 08:24 PM
Looking to buy a DCB MACH 26 and considering a GT Performance engine. Any good or bad things about Gary's work? Also, anyone have one of the 540's with the low pro whipple that he advertises in ***boat? 802 HP, and low pro- I like it! Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/comments on this engine or GT Performance!!
Thanks- Roln20s

riverliver
02-25-2002, 08:30 PM
GT Preformance is a great choice, i have my engine in there right now and gary is very easy guy to work with, i have seen some of his work and it is top notch.
Good luck

Doug The Jeweler
02-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Hi Doug:
I'm selling my 2001 DCB Mach 26. Before I put it the Boat Trader and ***boat .I thought I'd ask if you know of anyone looking for a hot boat?
Give me a call.
Tony Anzelc
916-373-0707

picklefork1
02-26-2002, 06:44 AM
Hey roln20, I've been running a GT motor for 2 seasons now and have never once had any problems with it, great motor, and when ever I have a question regardless of what it is he always answers it personaly. Great service, great guy.
Good Luck.

sofa king smooth
02-26-2002, 12:31 PM
Gary rigged my current boat and freshened up my motor.He is currently building me a 572 quad rotor.I believe Gary builds 572's now rather than 540's.I would highly recomend Gary for all your performance needs.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
02-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Sofa, did you get a free jacket with that?

SVO 540
02-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Roln 20s,
You found the winning combo....GT Performance and a DCB Mach 26. I highly recommend GT Performance. He did my motor and Mach 26. There are some pics in the cats and tunnels section. Try to work it out so GT also does the motor and drive instalation. I know DCB is second to none when it comes to rigging but take one look under the hood of my boat and you will see that GT tops DCB. If you don't believe me, come over and take a look at old "El Diablo".
SVO 540 - OUT

obnoxious001
02-27-2002, 09:20 AM
GT builds a great engine. Rudy knows his stuff, and you get what you pay for. I started assembling for GT when Gary got too busy to answer the phones and build his own engines. I now build some on my own. Currently have a 505 cu in Gentry turbo engine for sale, email for more info or photos.
agt001@aol.com

1faster
02-27-2002, 09:44 AM
Gary rigged my Daytona, and I have one of his 540" motors, and I can't say enough good things about it. Great service, great setup, the works. So good in fact, I drug the boat to him from Vegas for some service/upgrades.

roln 20s
02-27-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all of the responses- everything I am hearing about Gary is the impression that I had.
SVO 540
First off, your DCB is sick! I have all of the pics of yours saved on my computer and actually talked to Gary the other day regarding your engine and boat. Is Gary's installation price comparable to that of Dave? What made you decide to have him install your monster engine?
1 faster
Is your engine carb, blown or whippled? HP?
Thanks again-
Roln20s

HUFFPOWER
02-27-2002, 03:18 PM
another gt motored boat is bob grande's ski race schiada,look back at the ***boat cove for his boat,his motor is sweet,i believe larry in tucson also helped on that project.

1faster
02-27-2002, 05:07 PM
Mine is the carburated version. It started at 625 hp, but we changed exhaust and carb/intake to add about 30hp. It is at Gary's right now for a solid roller cam that should give me another 25hp, so then it should be at around 675hp. I didn't go the blower route because frankly I couldn't afford the upgraded drive. I have a bone stock Bravo 1 with a lab finished 30, and not a single problem.....yet.

SVO 540
02-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Roln 20s, My suggestion would be to price it out both ways. I think you will find similar pricing. DCB does a lot of Teague motors. If there is a way you can leverage your rigging to create a situation where more future DCB's have GT power rather than Teague power then you are on to something.
As for why I had GT do my rigging. It is because they are the best I have ever seen. Some of the most awesome rigging and install jobs have come out of GT. I can tell you within a 5% margin of error if GT rigged a boat or not. It just stands out. Also, I have a Ford motor so that made it very important for me to use a company that can do CUSTOM installations. Don't get me wrong, DCB is the best boat rigger on the planet, it's just that GT can get more creative and custom.

roln 20s
02-27-2002, 08:42 PM
Huffpower-
You are right, that is definately one of the nicest quad rotor engines around that I have seen. Thanks for reminding me about that boat..and engine! That is definately the style engine I am leaning to.
SVO540-
Thanks for that info. I will definately look into that! Did DCB do everything except the drive, stand-off box and engine? What about guages, etc..?
Rolns20s

Boatjob
02-28-2002, 01:27 PM
Roln20s- Seems as though you are into boats a lot. My question is, how are you going to afford a DCB being a student?? You must have a good job...Just heckling you.

roln 20s
02-28-2002, 02:38 PM
Very valid question!! I have a couple jobs- don't pay so hot, but a job is a job. But about a year ago I had to plan a business that could be fully functional in "the real world" for a class, and what do you know- it became real world and took off real fast. The business involved selling bonds and mortgages at discounts, and I acted as the middle man. After doing this for a couple months, I sold the name and company to a couple entrprenuers(sp) in the bay area--and now I all do is chill with the ladies and think about them lounging on my DCB. How soon is this going to become a reality (the DCB not the ladies-hehe)- I do not know! Hopefully sometime this summer. But as for boats, I guess you could say I am obsessed! My parents still tell me today that BOAT was my first word-I'm proud of that!
Late- Roln20s

roln 20s
02-28-2002, 02:40 PM
Something else Boatjob- those kids/younger people you always hear about with BIG dreams and goals--THAT'S ME! I will update my profile with my real occupation once I am a CFO for a company- hopefully that doesn't take too long! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Charley
03-18-2002, 04:18 PM
hey Roln...If you're trying to solicit your services here as a CFO...GOOD LUCK.... Most boat owners already have one...its called a WIFE ... hehehe JK, good luck dreams are awesome! don't stop chasing them even after you catch them...make a new one!

NO4NBRI
03-20-2002, 11:53 AM
roln 20s or anyone else: How much does GT charge for his aspirated motor? I am in the process of looking at a new boat. I was shopping around for motors, I wanted to get the most for my money.

EricU
03-21-2002, 05:02 PM
While we are asking about engine builders, what about the guy at speed-o-motive? Has anyone had one of his motors?
Eric

HighRoller
03-23-2002, 09:52 PM
SVO540 I need the number for GT,I'm going to order a new boat and am shopping engine builders.By the way,it's a jet boat and I'd like to have a 514 Ford with the CNC ported windsor heads,about 600-640 on pump gas.My email is highroller@laughlin.net
thanks

riverliver
03-24-2002, 09:11 AM
GT Performance
1-909 982-8391

roln 20s
04-04-2002, 12:13 AM
NO4NBRI- I am not sure about the price of GT's aspirated motors, but I know the 540 advertised in hot boat with the efi whipple(802 hp) is $30,500- so the aspirated should be less. Great price on this motor, best I was able to find! Good luck!
Roln 20s

roln 20s
04-04-2002, 12:14 AM
Charley-
Thanks for the advice- I have heard that about wives so I guess that is a good thing that is farther down the road. I will keep setting new goals, but for now it is CFO and a DCB to cruise Havasu! Hope to see you there this summer!
Roln 20s