PDA

View Full Version : Calgo Steering?

RC75Rogers
04-02-2006, 07:23 AM
I've restored my 75 Rogers.Currently re-rigging it.I was running a Morse rack &pinion.I just heard about a Calgo cable system.Aside from being pricey,does anybody know anything about this system???? Any help would be appreciated--Thanks

Highlimit9000
04-02-2006, 07:26 AM
I've restored my 75 Rogers.Currently re-rigging it.I was running a Morse rack &pinion.I just heard about a Calgo cable system.Aside from being pricey,does anybody know anything about this system???? Any help would be appreciated--Thanks
Prime Marine just put one in my V-Drive. I have not used it yet. Mike says they are a good set-up. I have seen multiple varying opinions though on these boards...

Aduner2
04-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Used it on my Liberty boat. Very positive and easy to steer. Never had a problem with it, unlike a single cable system. Only problem at the time was I wanted to run a diverter and nobody made a tiller arm to do that.

moneysucker
04-03-2006, 07:23 AM
The name is cablesteer now and I have run it for 5 years. I ran it with adiverter as well, Modified (Slotted for the key way) the diverter. I will be installing it on my other boat as well.

MikeF
04-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Pretty much all Liberty's came w/ the Calgo steering. I have it on mine and it works real good. Although w/ the diverter that I have it is a little more effort put into the wheel to get it to turn (unlike the race nozzle that I removed to put the diverter on....it was like butter to move the wheel). Also, the steering ratio is quicker w/ the Calgo unit. I LIKE IT. :D

MikeF
04-03-2006, 07:46 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/153Sidepump1.JPG

victorfb
04-03-2006, 08:00 AM
from what i understand, calgo offers a jet version and a V-drive version. ratios are differant. ive seen alot of drag boats with the calgo, but have not seen many lake/river runners with it. how does it work for this application?

cyclone
04-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Once its set up correctly the only real maintenance is re-greasing the cables every once in awhile and making sure they are adjusted tight. Just did mine a few weeks back.

victorfb
04-03-2006, 08:51 AM
with that said, and the fact that they are rebuildable, i would imagine its a very long lasting system. one of those: "pay now, save money in the long run" type of deals.

DirtySquirty
04-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Yes...Liberty Boats all came with Calgo dual cable steering. They work fine with the diverter but it does get a bit tight to turn. Keep them lubed up. They seem to make a mess on the bowl at times with the extra spooge getting all over. Great steering system!!

victorfb
04-08-2006, 08:39 AM
so who has the best deals on this system?

placecrafttim
04-08-2006, 09:14 AM
So how does one go about lubing the cables without taking the system apart? I know there's a grease fitting on the back side of the helm but is that the way you get the cables lubed also?