PDA

View Full Version : Installing Valvecover Breathers....

NashvilleBound
09-21-2003, 06:18 AM
I am getting oil out my dipstick hole and wanted to install one or two valvecover breathers to help vent. Obviously it needs more. Some un-named party that was supposed to fix it just put a spring on the dipstick to keep it in place...when I saw it I was blown away... especially from this shop. The question is how much work is it to install these and exactly hows it done? Can they take the place of my oil fill cap? Can it be that easy???
NB

Liberator TJ1984
09-21-2003, 06:43 AM
I have K&N breathers on my motor and they work good. nice chromed push in style with shields ..
measure the holes in the valve covers and call Jegs or Summit and tell the what you want , only like $20 each.
Hope this will work
Gopherrr

MikeF
09-21-2003, 08:29 AM
NB, If it is one of those chrome aftermarket dipstick tubes, cut off about an inch(+) off the bottom of the tube. It could be acting as a straw (in the oil) and when you build crankcase pressure it blows out of the tube and all over the place. :D

NashvilleBound
09-22-2003, 05:01 PM
I called Teague Custom Marine, Eddie MArine and Summit today...nothing that will "Push" in only bolt on that I have to remove the covers to work on. My PCV hole it 1", too small and my oil fill is 1.35, too big. The oil dip stick is factory Merc Racing. Thanks for the help tho...any other idears???

paradigm shift
09-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Using a spring on stock dip stick is more common than I once thought. :rolleyes: What kind of breathers are you running now? I have 2 of the breathers that Teague / Eddie Marine etc use on there valve covers. I installed a PCV valve since and actually have the one breather on the side of PCV valve plugged. I have no problems blowing oil or dip stick out of tube. I do run an after market tube and dip stick though. Sorry not much help. Sounds like you will have to pull valve covers to add unless you have another problem.

Rexone
09-23-2003, 01:46 AM
NB check this K&N link out to see if there's anything here that will work. I can order any of this stuff for you in short order (stock some of it).
K&N Vent Filters (http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm)
We also stock bolt-on billet breathers if you ever decide to go that route.
Good luck :)

NashvilleBound
09-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Looks like I will have to drill out one of my filler caps out to accomodate another breather. I sure as hell aint messin up my HP covers! Rexone, Are you in the SD area?
It would be nice to fit something to the cover at a shop....
thanks

NashvilleBound
09-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Taking two of these 6Z-1519 and easily flush mounting them to my filler caps would be ideal....tons of breathing room! Can you call me tomorrow with the details? 619-980-0426 thanks again..
[ September 26, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: NashvilleBound ]

superdave013
09-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Hate to say it but the tall bolt on breathers work much better. When I bought my boat it had those K&N breathers that look like mini air filters. They were on some pretty tall tubes also. Man, a hot lap around the lake and I had ****ing oil all over. (a little bit looks like a lot when it's misted all over the engine bay). I had another set of covers with some tall bolt on breathers and put those on. bingo, no more oil.
Get those bad ass billet ones from Rex. Then the next time your up this way I'll mill a nice slot in you covers and mount them for ya.

Rexone
09-23-2003, 11:14 PM
I'll have someone call you in the AM to see if something can be figured out for you. :)
(We're in La Verne, next to LA County Fair, Pomona Raceway, etc)
[ September 24, 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Dave C
09-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Put a crankcase evac on it. Fixed mine! Escpecially if you don't run a PCV.
Theres probably too much blow buy, especially if you have a monster under the hood! wink
I hate that oil mess!. :mad:
[ September 24, 2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Dave C ]

NashvilleBound
09-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Its the Hp500EFI Whipplecharged.
Whats the Evac system?

Rexone
09-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Jeff Bob tried again to call you at that number but whoever answered says no Jeff here... :confused: