PDA

View Full Version : Bringing 455 back from the dead

Mike G
05-10-2004, 01:45 AM
I spent the weekend working on the '74 Tahiti 20.5' that I picked up last summer. It was a basket case that - as near as I can tell - sat for 7 years. We got everything bolted back together, replaced a couple gaskets on the Holley 4160 (?), dropped in an HEI, and hooked up the rat's nest that passes for wiring on this beast.
Anyway, to make a long story short, we can't get it started. I put the distributor in with the rotor pointed slightly before the pole for cyl 1, while it's at TDC and cyl 6's rocker arms are rocking (i.e. compression stroke on 1). The coil has +12v going to it, the block is grounded. The starter turns, but it just won't catch. Got some interesting back fires out of it, though. :p The clear inline fuel filter has gas, and it looks like the carb is doing it's thing.
So, before I break out the starting fluid, does anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking that we just flooded the darn thing and just need it to air out a bit. Can't think of anything we did wrong.
Thanks in advance!
-Mike

Rexone
05-10-2004, 03:56 AM
If it's backfiring chances are good you've either got a couple plug wires crossed or your timing is a tooth off on the wrong side of number one. With number one piston at TDC firing stroke the rotor should have already passed the #1 post on the distributor cap, meaning it fired "ahead" or "advanced" of the piston reaching TDC. If it's positioned the wrong side of the #1 dist post you are retarded and you will see backfiring.
Those are the 2 most common problems.

Wet Dream
05-10-2004, 04:09 AM
How old is the gas?

Old Guy
05-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Wires hooked up correctly? I think the rotor turns CCW.

Mike G
05-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Doh!!!
I'm a moron.
You're right. The wires are on CW, and the distributor turns CCW. The worst part is that I knew the distributor turned that way.
Thanks!
-Mike

RENEGADE 3#
05-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Sounds like your 180 off from the distriburtor. if the wires are correct! thats my imput. :wink: