PDA

View Full Version : A sad day in my house

bigpapasean
05-10-2004, 11:07 AM
I just cot a call from my vet that my dog died last night .he got parvo and has been at the vest fore over a week. It is hard to believe how attached to you get to a dog in such a short time. I will miss him for ever !!!!!!!!!

HavasuDreamin'
05-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Sorry to hear that. Did you have him vacinated when you got him?

summerlove
I know how you feel....lost mine last month.....a 14 year old collie - looked just like Lassie!

OGShocker
Sorry Big,
We lost our 15 year old Lab last year. It just sucks.

TheLurker
05-10-2004, 11:12 AM
That is truley a sad day, Sorry for your loss

bigpapasean
05-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
Sorry to hear that. Did you have him vacinated when you got him?
yes he had his shots.and i all ways thought they could not get parvo after shots but i was mistaken

Rubths
05-10-2004, 11:18 AM
This thread scares me, my female Rotti is 8yrs old now and I know the day will come that I will be greiving like you are now. Im sorry for you loss and I hope you replace him with another best freind.

bigpapasean
05-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Rubths
This thread scares me, my female Rotti is 8yrs old now and I know the day will come that I will be greiving like you are now. Im sorry for you loss and I hope you replace him with another best freind.
I want to someday but I an afraid. I read that parvo can live out side up to five years

Mandelon
05-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Sorry. :(

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-10-2004, 11:30 AM
I am so sorry.. he is and was a cutie.. .. he is still having fun where he is and he will always hold a special spot in your hearts..
it will take time but you will heal from this.. he will be in your memory forever.. :( ;)

FMluvswater
05-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Awwww. :( My condolences on the loss of your family pet. May the remembered smiles he brought you soon outshine the pain you feel at his abrupt absence.
~FM

dmontzsta
05-10-2004, 12:37 PM
VERY Sorry to hear about that, he looks like a very cute dog. I am sure you will miss him.

Rexone
05-10-2004, 12:37 PM
:(
They don't live long enough.
Its a shame when a disease like Parvo takes them young.
Sorry Big... :(

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 01:02 PM
I am so sorry about your puppy. Parvo was one of my chief concerns when we our Lab was a puppy. I hope you feel good enough soon to get another dog. I know how hard it is to lose your friend.

bigpapasean
05-10-2004, 01:03 PM
I talked to the vet and he sad that I should wait for six months or so until a get another pup.

Ntwotrance
05-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. :( How does a dog get "parvo?" Is it an airbourne disease/virus?
RD
from feces and can remain in the environment for up to 9 months in the area where the droppings occured...sorry for your loss big, also wait the full 9 months not 6....

hot_diggity_dog
05-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by bigpapasean
I just cot a call from my vet that my dog died last night .he got parvo and has been at the vest fore over a week. It is hard to believe how attached to you get to a dog in such a short time. I will miss him for ever !!!!!!!!!
Man sorry to hear that, My dogs are my children.
Hang in there.
HDD:frown:

bigpapasean
05-10-2004, 01:11 PM
It can also be introduced from your shoes car tires or any thing else that might come in contact with dog poop

Garrddogg
05-10-2004, 01:38 PM
:( dude sorry for your loss

Mrs. Restless22
05-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Im sorry for your loss....he looks so cute in that pic :( :(

BrendellaJet
05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Just curious why the vet says wait 6 months???? In my experience, it helps to have more than one pet at a time, that way your not so lonely in the event one of them should die. When my cat was coyotenapped recently, I went out and got another dog-best thing I ever did. I was actually a little upset that I had waited the 2 weeks before I went down to the shelter...And I definitely recommend going through a shelter to get your next pet, I know it sounds silly, but my new dog was way stoked to come home to a household where she was wanted. I now have 2 shelter dogs and they are both awesome.
also-keep your kennel or dog runs clean. After spending $700 bucks to get both dogs dewormed and checked out, I spray the dog run down with bleach every couple days just to be safe.

Ntwotrance
05-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Just curious why the vet says wait 6 months???? In my experience, it helps to have more than one pet at a time, that way your not so lonely in the event one of them should die. When my cat was coyotenapped recently, I went out and got another dog-best thing I ever did. I was actually a little upset that I had waited the 2 weeks before I went down to the shelter...And I definitely recommend going through a shelter to get your next pet, I know it sounds silly, but my new dog was way stoked to come home to a household where she was wanted. I now have 2 shelter dogs and they are both awesome.
also-keep your kennel or dog runs clean. After spending $700 bucks to get both dogs dewormed and checked out, I spray the dog run down with bleach every couple days just to be safe.
because if the parvo is still present, and you go out right away and get another dog, chances are that dog will get the disease as well...

Laveyman
05-10-2004, 02:11 PM

CEO
05-10-2004, 02:43 PM
That sucks, That is the main reason why we didn't want to get any animals, but we finally broke down and got a pup from Kauai when the wife and kids were over there. I am dreading that day when the dog will go and visit the park in the sky!

C-2
05-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Big,
Also sorry to hear about your pup. :(
When a dog dies from parvo, it usually dies as the result of dehydration. That's why they give them saline thru an i.v. or injections into the back. But sometimes it's still not enough, or the dog can't take the back injections any longer.
We had a pup get parvo and the vet said time to say bye bye, or take the dog home and treat it ourselves. We did that and began a regiment of injecting Pedialyte thru a turkey baster into the pup's mouth every couple of hours. It wasn't pretty and was a pain in the arse but the pup lived and went on to live a full life (until just recently when she succumbed to organ failure from undetected diabetes).
So if anybody else has a dog that get's parvo - ask the vet about home treatment options - sometimes you can give the dog more care at home than they can give at the vet.
:)

topless
05-10-2004, 03:45 PM
When i had my Rottie I wouldn't take her for walks until she was 6 months old and every time I took her to the vet, I asked if they had any parvo dogs in recently. I also wouldn't put her on the ploor just in case. I may have gone a little overboard but oh well.