PDA

View Full Version : Launch Ramp Courtesy

goneboatin
05-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Have you ever had one of those days where you're next in line to launch your boat and the assholes before you decide that the best time to load up their boat with goodies is when the boat's on the ramp? Then to top it off the jackoff is the only one who can drive the boat. So he and all of his clan get on the boat and take it over to the slips. Now is truck and trailer are on the ramp unoccupied. If I wasn't such a nice guy, I slip that thing in reverse and just watch it sink!
Now when I return from a great day out there's always the little assholes in the Sea Doos that hang out on the launch ramp holding those things until the knucklehead goes to get the truck and trailer. They can't can't wait off to the side, they have to be in the middle so one lane gets blocked. I've seen the same thing with boats. Man, that just pisses me off.
I'm done ranting. :mad:

mirvin
05-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Priceless. That's why so many of us end up sitting on the docks with a cooler just taking in the entertaiment:D
mirvin

GlastronGuy
05-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Priceless. That's why so many of us end up sitting on the docks with a cooler just taking in the entertaiment:D
mirvin
Sitting on the docks.... That's a whole other subject.
;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-10-2004, 01:26 PM
we launch at the nauticle.. there is never anyone there.. :D

fourspeednup
05-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Ya, I think this subject has been touched on once or twice:D
If you're bored, do a search for "launch ramp etiquette" and such...plenty of material to keep you entertained:p

mirvin
05-10-2004, 01:31 PM
You've never seen a launch ramp cluster **** until you've made the mistake of going to lake Perris in the middle of summer. What a spectacle!!
I only made that mistake once;)
mirvin

Floatin'
05-10-2004, 01:33 PM
I too have spent some time at the launch ramp in my golf cart watching the show but I also am not an obnoxious a-hole like some of the launch ramp hangers. It's funny to watch some new boater struggle backing the trailer down the ramp, but, after 6 or 7 attempts to back down unsucessfully I now offer to help them out, lots of times it's a chick that just hasn't practiced backing down the ramp and they are so nervous and embarassed that they always accept my offer to help. I just pisses me off that alot of the hecklers at the ramp probably couldn't do any better than the people they are heckling. If you want to make someones day offer to help them out.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
You've never seen a launch ramp cluster **** until you've made the mistake of going to lake Perris in the middle of summer. What a spectacle!!
I only made that mistake once;)
mirvin
Or Lake Havasu, Memorial Weekend!!

little rowe boat
05-10-2004, 01:40 PM
I try to lend a hand,to the sorry soul who's wife wont help out,it keeps things moving along.You never know you make a new friend and teach them some launch ramp ettiquette.I'm not the most patient person in the world,so if I help out I get on the water sooner and I'm in a much better state of mind.

little rowe boat
05-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Floatin'
I too have spent some time at the launch ramp in my golf cart watching the show but I also am not an obnoxious a-hole like some of the launch ramp hangers. It's funny to watch some new boater struggle backing the trailer down the ramp, but, after 6 or 7 attempts to back down unsucessfully I now offer to help them out, lots of times it's a chick that just hasn't practiced backing down the ramp and they are so nervous and embarassed that they always accept my offer to help. I just pisses me off that alot of the hecklers at the ramp probably couldn't do any better than the people they are heckling. If you want to make someones day offer to help them out.
The hecklers piss me off also.They have nothing better to do than watch someone damage their expensive toys.What goes around comes around.
Two thumbs up for helping a fellow boater in need.:cool:

mirvin
05-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Floatin'
Well Floatin', assholes are everywhere;) On the ramp and on the dock:p
I always help people out. I also tell people to get there shit off the ramp this aint' a parking lot:D THat never really works out though.......so sittin on the doc i'll be, taking in the show;)
mirvin:D

Ntwotrance
05-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Or Lake Havasu, Memorial Weekend!!
or pyramid on the same weekend, watching lake lice drive their pickup onto your trailer because they're not paying attention....that was a cluster****

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm nervous about backing the trailer down this Saturday, what is the ramp at Elsinore like?
:confused:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-10-2004, 01:48 PM
If someone is having troubles backing down I have no problem offering to help them out. What gets me going is the person who sits in the boat still on the trailer but in the water trying to get their boat started. If there is no one waiting to take your launch lane and it is not busy, fine try and get it going. But if someone is in your lane and ready to back down, get off the ramp. This is an exercise that should not be practiced on a busy Saturday morning. Have some courtesy for your fellow boaters.

little rowe boat
05-10-2004, 01:50 PM
So where should they start it up,without destroying the impeller?

Ntwotrance
05-10-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm nervous about backing the trailer down this Saturday, what is the ramp at Elsinore like?
you won't have a problem, pretty long ramp there...if you're having probs, i'll help ya out....

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-10-2004, 01:53 PM
I back the boat down , the hubby starts the boat while still on the trailor deep enough in the water then after the boat is started I back up again stop real fast and he's off and I'm off.. ;)

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
I back the boat down , the hubby starts the boat while still on the trailor deep enough in the water then after the boat is started I back up again stop real fast and he's off and I'm off.. ;)
Ok, good to know. I have launched ski's and with our old boat my job was to drive it off and on the trailer. I got pretty good at it.
This boat is big, and I don't want to get divorced (if I hurt our new baby) so I figure backing down will be best.
I just need to keep it straight, steer from the bottom of the wheel. watch my mirrors, and do the back up stop fast thing.....
:D

little rowe boat
05-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Just relax and don't let anyone rush you.Larger trailers are usually easier to back.

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-10-2004, 02:00 PM
wait till the boat is started before doing it though.. that way for any reason if it doesn't start you can pull it back out..;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
Just relax and don't let anyone rush you.Larger trailers are usually easier to back.
yes you are very right.. the bigger the better.. :D

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 02:02 PM
ok, good advice....
I use to go to the lake with our (lake lice) Sea Doo, and I could back that puppy up.
I have heard that larger trailers are easier, but will be nervous untill I get one under my belt....
;)

little rowe boat
05-10-2004, 02:05 PM
yes you are very right.. the bigger the better.. :D
Thats what my wife says,no wonder she looks so disappointed.:eek:

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-10-2004, 02:05 PM
it's a peice of cake.. if you can do a sea-doo then you can do a boat.. it's much easier,,,:D ;)

mickeyfinn
05-10-2004, 02:07 PM
I always put the hose to mine and let it fire up one time before leaving the driveway. Avoids problems at the ramp.

91nordic29
05-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Ok, good to know. I have launched ski's and with our old boat my job was to drive it off and on the trailer. I got pretty good at it.
This boat is big, and I don't want to get divorced (if I hurt our new baby) so I figure backing down will be best.
I just need to keep it straight, steer from the bottom of the wheel. watch my mirrors, and do the back up stop fast thing.....
i am in the same "boat " as you! it makes me a nervous wreck backing down.:eek:

little rowe boat
05-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
I always put the hose to mine and let it fire up one time before leaving the driveway. Avoids problems at the ramp.
I usually start mine at home,with the ears on the outdrive,but you know how carburated boats can be sometimes.

Tom Brown
05-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Two years ago I went to the ramp and someone was using it. If things were that hectic here all the time, I would sell my boat. :mad:

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 02:12 PM
it's a peice of cake.. if you can do a sea-doo then you can do a boat.. it's much easier,,,:D ;)
I cheated, I put the tail gate of the truck down, so I could see....

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
i am in the same "boat " as you! it makes me a nervous wreck backing down.:eek:
How long have you been doing it?
Did you drive your smaller boat, or back it down?
Are the bigger boats harder then the smaller boats?
I never backed the small boat trailer, I drove the boat.
This boat is just so big, and I don't want to get the first scratch on it......
:eek:

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-10-2004, 02:14 PM
well I don't think you can do that with the boat.. the trailor is longer in the front then the sea-doo.. I think.. never tried it with the tailgate down.. ;)

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm using our Navigator, as long as I can see it in my side mirrors, I should be ok, once it goes over the hill down to the water, can you see anything, or do you just have to get straight and stay straight.
How do you know when to stop?
(wow, leaving myself WIDE OPEN here!)
LOL:D

little rowe boat
05-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Tell your husband to give you a signal when to stop,and then just keep an eye on him.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 02:20 PM
ok, I just want to do it and get it over with.......:(

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-10-2004, 02:24 PM
yep right again.. once you break the top of the launch ramp it's harder to see but if using the mirrors corectly you should always have it in sight.. then once the wheels hit the water he should be able to tell you when to stop.. plus I always keep my windows down at all times and wear no seat belt.. but that is just me.. I have a fear of losing my brakes .. ;) it's stupid.. but it was a dream I had and it still haunts me.. ;)

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 02:40 PM
When we use to launch with the motor home.....
(it won't pull this big old boat, so when we camp this year, I get to drive our...........RV)
.....anyway, I would make all the kids & dog get out.
I just have this vision of the whole motorhome going underwater, and that would'nt be easy to get out of.
I will remember the windows and no seat belt....
and once I am straight, I need to keep it straight.......
(can't wait to just get this done);)

bilgewiper
05-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Before my wife learned to back up herself I would back the boat down to the water, stop, jump out and into the boat, wife jumped into truck drivers seat and backed me in the last 15 feet so I could drive boat off. That way their was no way she could jackknive the rig having to only back up 15 feet or so. Anybody can pull a trailer going fwd, so she would go park while I putted around waiting for her to walk back to the dock.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm not going to jacknife it.................I just don't want to do a dumb little serpantine path down the ramp............lol :D
(I did jacknife my sea doo once) ;)
I just want to get this over!:yuk:
I need to practice driving the boat, so I can do that part....

Rod-64
05-10-2004, 02:53 PM
While we're ranting here.........:D ..........a LOT of peeps seem to not realize the channel is a no wake zone............got my stuff knocked around on Sunday by at least 3 morons.........I would love to bring my new ruger 10-22 with me.........but that's kind of illegal.:p :D

Scream
05-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Not TOOOO Fast, right dear????

Scream
05-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by bilgewiper
Before my wife learned to back up herself I would back the boat down to the water, stop, jump out and into the boat, wife jumped into truck drivers seat and backed me in the last 15 feet so I could drive boat off. That way their was no way she could jackknive the rig having to only back up 15 feet or so. Anybody can pull a trailer going fwd, so she would go park while I putted around waiting for her to walk back to the dock.
Which is exactly what I'm probably going to do on Saturday Morning. Don't want the Scream family pissin off all the boaters at Smellsomore. Little steps work well.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 03:06 PM
No problem dear, nothing to worry about. (can I have a beer before I try this?)JK/lol
The not too fast .................(is there a first click I should know about, backing the trailer down?)LOL:D

91nordic29
05-10-2004, 03:16 PM
How long have you been doing it?
Did you drive your smaller boat, or back it down?
Are the bigger boats harder then the smaller boats?
I never backed the small boat trailer, I drove the boat.
This boat is just so big, and I don't want to get the first scratch on it......
:eek:
i drove the smaller boat but not this one yet.
i have probably backe down 10 times in the two seasons we have had it but, i am still uncoordinated. i just cant get the hang of it. i was thinking that i need to do the boat part .

RandyH
05-10-2004, 03:16 PM
ok, good advice....
I use to go to the lake with our (lake lice) Sea Doo, and I could back that puppy up.
I have heard that larger trailers are easier, but will be nervous untill I get one under my belt....
;)
My wife can not back up the trailer for anything, So I back it in the water just enough that all she has to do is back it up a few feet. I then jump in the boat, unhook the bow line and fire it up. I tell her to back it up until I signal her that I am clear and then She goes and parks it. Just an idea for you until you get the hang of it. Good Luck. Dont be rushed. F**k the crowd. I have always found that I do less damage when I do things slow. :D
RandyH

91nordic29
05-10-2004, 03:26 PM
that is what we do when launching but retreiving....
anyone who has been to lake pleasant knows how long and steep the 10 lane ramp is. i feel like a total idiot trying to back down that thing!

topless
05-10-2004, 03:35 PM
I have a friend who has a seadoo pos boat. It seems to always be broken but she got mad at ther husband, brought her boat to my house then couldn't even back it out of the driveway. She jacknifed it and dented her truck. I ended up backing it out for her.
I used to take the boat to Ingall park (very large parking lot) and practice so i wouldn't look like an idiot.

Ziggy
05-10-2004, 03:37 PM
This weekend wasn't bad but I did have a guy who couldn't get backed down..he pulled around into the backdown lanes(3 lanes) and takes the center lane. Before even looking he starts to back up(me and another about to pull into the other staging lanes) and begins doing the zig-zag down but gets all jackknifed...pulls back up forward and sits there(me and the other guy pull into our staging lanes now)...he starts back down and again zig-zagin' down....long story short he couldn't get into his own lane after 3 tries and ends up blocking his lane and unloaded his boat in my lane sorta half sideways.
Once the other guy finished his unload I backed into the far lane(two lanes over now) in one shot and was done well before this guy finished.
Felt bad for the guy, he even looked embarrased....

MagicMtnDan
05-10-2004, 03:51 PM
I was with a buddy walking down the launch ramp and dock to his boat. We came upon a group of knuckleheads getting ready to launch their old boat - the trailer was already backed into the water. My buddy asked if he could offer them any help and their offensive response told us to leave them alone. They looked like a Chinese fire drill doing all the stuff there that shoulda been done before backing down.
My buddy tells me to take a good look at them and their boat and then doesn't say anything else. We went out and came back about 40 minutes later. The boat was alongside the dock with a couple ropes tied to the dock that was on an angle being pulled down into the water because the boat was half submerged and all their crap was floating inside the boat - bag of briquets, coolers, clothes, towels, fishing tackle, etc.
Somehow they forgot to put their plug in before launching. We don't know how far out they got (if at all) but their day was spent putting the plug back in under water and trying to bail out their boat to get it refloated and trailered for the ride home. Eventually the fire department came out and pumped out their boat for them (don't know what the cost of that was).
That's what you get sometimes when you try to help folks. Just another entertaining story at the launch ramp.

topless
05-10-2004, 03:59 PM
I saw something like that by Roadrunners. A big group of people and their kids backed the boat in without the plug and the guy who backed them in left for the day. When they realized they were sinking, they started throwing the kids overboard. Funny to watch but sad too. They didn't even ave a plug and drained their battery usning the bilge to drain the water. We gave them an extra plug but their day was ruined too.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 04:24 PM
We have the routine down.
I get in the boat.
Mr. Scream takes off the straps
put the plug in
back down,almost in the water.
remove the winch,
back down agian,
give it a push,
start er up,
take off
but this is a big boat, so I will do the backing, I think I can do it.
(I think I drive better backward, than forward)lol:D
the cool thing about the big boat, is that everything is in there already, we don't have to load any crap in the boat. But I am not comfortable driving this boat yet, fast on the water yes, slow by a dock, no. I think it may be a at least a year................

Ziggy
05-10-2004, 04:31 PM
We have the routine down.
I get in the boat.
Mr. Scream takes off the straps
put the plug in
remove the winch,
back down agian,
give it a push,
start er up,
take off
but this is a big boat, so I will do the backing, I think I can do it.
(I think I drive better backward, than forward)lol:D
the cool thing about the big boat, is that everything is in there already, we don't have to load any crap in the boat. But I am not comfortable driving this boat yet, fast on the water yes, slow by a dock, no. I think it may be a at least a year................
Me and the wife do similar, she takes the boat while I do the truck/trailer thing. We can be in/out/off the ramp in less than a minute. She's still acclimating to the bigger boat but the basic skills still prevail.

goneboatin
05-10-2004, 05:17 PM
I don't mind offering help to someone who just can't seem to get their boat down the launch ramp... it's the people who dick around while they're on the ramp.
I've made it part of my routine to have my wife back the boat into the water to the swimstep (leave it hooked up to the trailer) and fire the boat up. If it doesn't fire up after a few tries (fuel injection), it ain't gonna fire up. Then, I can tell my wife to pull the boat out and it's time to wrench.
The last thing I would do is wrench on the ramp.
Or for that matter load up ice chests and other crap into the boat on the ramp.
That's what you do waiting in line.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 05:39 PM
I know someone (who posts on this board) that use to own a Sea Doo and forgot to put the plug in. He didn't realise, for awhile........(why is there so much water by my ankles?)

Mandelon
05-10-2004, 05:42 PM
What about those guys with the hot wives who have their music so loud when they are launching and retreiving.... :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-10-2004, 06:06 PM
What about those guys who scream and curse at their wives, friends and kids while at the launch. I cringe everytime I see that.:yuk:

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Now, you all know how I feel about Park Moabi, but their ramp lanes are a joke!
;)
Little dividers between the lanes, I know they had good intentions, but they make my man cuss...........:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Don't they have the "curbs" dividing the lanes there? Or is that somewhere else?

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 06:18 PM
No that is there! I love that park, it is my favorite place to camp (on the pennisulas) But the ramp is a joke. Little curbs divide the lanes halfway down to the water.................weird.....;)

repo man
05-10-2004, 07:21 PM
:confused: slick &shallow

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 07:25 PM
K,
not good..........

repo man
05-10-2004, 07:35 PM
maybe i'll see you guys out there, what day are you going?

mike37
05-10-2004, 07:35 PM
at home with a hose let it worm up
then wen you get to the ramp boat starts right up

ahhell
05-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Just make sure youre in water when you abruptly stop:D

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by repo man
maybe i'll see you guys out there, what day are you going?
We are going this SAT May 15!

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
Yeah, Mr.Scream mentioned that already........."not too fast"

summerlove
05-10-2004, 07:49 PM
We are going this SAT May 15!
does that mean you'll be off the computer for awhile?
what'll we do????:cry:

locogringo
05-10-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm a patient individual. It would have to be really, really blatant and/or reckless for me to get piped up!

FRENCHIE
05-10-2004, 08:08 PM
celebrate!!!:wink:

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
does that mean you'll be off the computer for awhile?
what'll we do????:cry:
Yes, Yes, but try to get by without me..........:D

Dr. Eagle
put the plug in
Good thing you guys are organized...
Cuz missing this step = Bilge Pump Test.......

Debbolas
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
celebrate!!!:wink:
NOT!!!!:rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
05-10-2004, 08:36 PM
remove the winch,
That sounds a little dangerous. I have seen boats on the ramp on two seperate occasions.
I' wait til the boat is in the water and floating

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 08:40 PM
You see...........this is the sort of stuff I expect to get comments from...I missed a step in the backing the boat down the ramp, list.....thats great!
Just don't bust my chops for commenting on Rolex Watches.
(oh, sorry, I kinda ranted there..........)
K.
your right, the boat must be floating before we remove the wynch.....and why do we test the bildge pump?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-10-2004, 08:41 PM
We never disconnect until the boat is floating. I guess some people don't like to get wet. :confused:

hd&boatrider
05-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
remove the winch,
That sounds a little dangerous. I have seen boats on the ramp on two seperate occasions.
I' wait til the boat is in the water and floating
I agree. I make sure I am in the water, start the engine and then go unhook the winch. I can just see the boat dropping on the ramp :(

hd&boatrider
05-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Sportin' Wood
We never disconnect until the boat is floating. I guess some people don't like to get wet. :confused:
I am on the boat and when disconnecting the winch and I still am dry :) No need to get in the water when launching....that is if you have help. Even without help I can launch wiothout getting wet.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-10-2004, 08:48 PM
You must be better at it than me, or maybe I'm just lookin' for an excuse to get my toes in the water.:cool:

Scream
05-10-2004, 08:49 PM
;)
Little dividers between the lanes, I know they had good intentions, but they make my man cuss...........:D
I have never cussed about the lane dividers at park Moabi. I have never had a problem at Park Moabi. I have no problem anywhere, even at the 10 lane ramp at Lake Pleasant (2 miles long). I have no idea what she's talking about, so I guess that makes two of us, huh dear???

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 08:50 PM
FYI
He does cuss............:D

Kilrtoy
05-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Ok I see youiss wrote, But there are people that do that and i have seen boats laying on the ramp and not in the water. They have posted in the past a pic of a big cat just like that.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Perhaps I was mistaken...............Mr. Scream has no trouble with the cement dividers between the ramp lanes at Park Moabi......
He can back the motorhome w/ the boat down, no problem........
I was the one with the problem. . I have never liked those concrete dividers and I ..........I............oh never mind.......
;)

Scream
05-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Perhaps I was mistaken...............Mr. Scream has no trouble with the cement dividers between the ramp lanes at Park Moabi......
He can back the motorhome w/ the boat down, no problem........
I was the one with the problem. . I have never liked those concrete dividers and I ..........I............oh never mind.......
;)
That's it, I'm taking your laptop away from you, you're grounded.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 09:11 PM
I was being sincere!!!!
You are the best driver!!!
(and cute!)

Phat Matt
05-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by bilgewiper
I do the same thing and it works great. I can still probably launch faster than most. When we pull off the water it is usually late so she will go get the truck. When she backs up I use the 2 way radios to guide her. It's like a big remote control truck! :D

Scream
05-10-2004, 09:41 PM
If I had communications with my wife from the truck or the boat, then I would cuss...She's not a listner, if you catch my meaning.
Might be good to be able to tell her to "slam on the brakes" at the appropriate time that is.

Tom Brown
05-10-2004, 09:44 PM
I always get Topless to back the boat in. She backs up like no other.

Phat Matt
05-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Scream
If I had communications with my wife from the truck or the boat, then I would cuss...She's not a listner, if you catch my meaning.
Might be good to be able to tell her to "slam on the brakes" at the appropriate time that is.
Maybe you should just post what you want her to do! I bet she reads it. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Ok I see youiss wrote, But there are people that do that and i have seen boats laying on the ramp and not in the water. They have posted in the past a pic of a big cat just like that.
Are you talking about this?
mishap (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30334&highlight=Lake+Perris)

JustMVG
05-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Here's Why

Kilrtoy
05-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Yes, That was one of them and there was another.

shueman
05-11-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by goneboatin
Now when I return from a great day out there's always the little assholes in the Sea Doos that hang out on the launch ramp holding those things until the knucklehead goes to get the truck and trailer.
....or the rental company picks them up...!!
That's the good thing about Windsor at Havasu, separate ramp.

HammerDown
05-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Sometimes the girlfriend has to hold the boat at the ramp untill I get the Truck backed in. My 21' Daytona sits toooo low in the water and goes under the dock (ouch). I hate doing that but have no choice.
But really it's the Butt Heads with the wave runners that hang at the ramp in groups OR hotdog around the ramp (like we want to see them), or people that work on their boats at the launch ramp... that gets under my skin!
:yuk:

MagicMtnDan
05-11-2004, 05:24 AM
:o :o :o
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/posts/rampmishap1.jpg

Debbolas
05-11-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
No I won't!!:D
Thanks those pictures filled me with confidence for my Saturday Ramp Trip.......:frown:
Ok, so I must wait until the boat is in the water before I do the stomp on the brake thing......
:cool:

Danhercules
05-11-2004, 06:17 AM
;)
I have to disagree. Them curbs is what helped my wife. Not like bumpers, but it helped her leard how to back stright. She dose not weave anymore. She got it down!!

Debbolas
05-11-2004, 06:22 AM
It was all a misunderstanding.....:D My man has no problem with any dividers any where on any ramp.
Must have been me!;)

ahhell
05-11-2004, 06:29 AM
It was all a misunderstanding.....:D My man has no problem with any dividers any where on any ramp.
Must have been me!;)
Come on Debbo, you know he doesnt have problems with the dividers, just hops right over them:D :D :D

Debbolas
05-11-2004, 06:37 AM
Come on Debbo, you know he doesnt have problems with the dividers, just hops right over them:D :D :D
I'm in enough trouble.....don't help...........LOL:D

Havasu_Dreamin
05-11-2004, 07:19 AM
The point I was trying to make was that it's the person that sits there for 10-15 minutes trying to get it started and then they start wrenching on it. The launch ramp, at least on a busy Saturday morning, is not a place to start wrenching on a motor IMHO. If it's not busy, go for it.

BarryMac
05-11-2004, 07:46 AM
To teach my wifey, I took her to a grocery store on a Sunday and had her practice in the Loading dock, that was with the older shorter boat with a single axle, I am going to take her back there and have her do it again with the newer bigger boat with the tandem axle, it isn't exactly the same but she got the hang of using the walls (she didn't hit one, Whew) like they were the curbs. She is pretty good at it but as they say, 'Practice makes perfect'. :D

Krumbsnatcher
05-11-2004, 10:36 AM
If you are in that much of a hurry to get your boat in the water and not lend a hand to a fellow boater, you are too stressed out to own a boat.
We all have to deal with the beginner in all sports and activities, remember you were once a beginner too.
Spread some advice, lend a hand the water ways will be easier on all of us.
Allways on Havasu, rarely problems at windsor.

little rowe boat
05-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
The point I was trying to make was that it's the person that sits there for 10-15 minutes trying to get it started and then they start wrenching on it. The launch ramp, at least on a busy Saturday morning, is not a place to start wrenching on a motor IMHO. If it's not busy, go for it.
I agree.:cool:

Scream
05-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
Good Idea!
LOL

Debbolas
05-11-2004, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scream
Good Idea!
LOL [/QUOTE
I have no idea what your talking about.................:D :cool: :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Right On Krumbsnatcher!! :) I for the life of me can't understand how a fight breaks out at a launch ramp.. :( People that get all road raged out don't need to be at the river anyways.
RD
The fights break out because people have to wait for three hours in line at Katherine Landing in 115 degree heat with a hangover because they couldn't get their a$$es out of the casinos before 8 am. :D Then they get pi$$ed at everyone else in line.

goneboatin
05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Just launch your boat off your trailer and get your truck and trailer the hell out of the way and everythings cool. No time for dicking around.

Liquid Courage
05-12-2004, 05:41 PM
What are you going to do? Patience is a virtue. I get perterbed to but just deal with the fools that take FOREVER holding up a lane at a ramp. Usually theres other lanes though so it's not that big of a deal.
I've never been in that position until the heatwave poker run when I was asked to help pull out a 42 tiger and the Dragon boat by myself! I had two REALLY large trailers and to make it worse it was at windsor beach (because of the d*ckhead at the main marina). Everything was fine until the tiger got caught on the sandbar just off of the ramp. I had to leave the trailer, jump on some dudes boat and help push the tiger off. I felt bad about holding up a lane, but hoped people would understand.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-12-2004, 06:52 PM
That's why we launch at about 11 pm.

Debbolas
05-12-2004, 06:58 PM
When we first started going to the river with our friends, we would leave after work and drive to Park Mobai. So the wives, would get to drive the boats from the ramp to the pennisulla campsite, at night. Well I love Park Mobai, but there are some sand bars there on the north side, and weeds on the right (as well as rocks) some of the most challengeing boat naviagating I have ever done. Had to stop and back up a couple times to get the weeds off my prop. Then once we hit the open river (it was beautiful) we had to look for the huge flashlight, where our cove was....I use to hate it.
After launching in the mid day heat, I wouldn't mind doing the night launches again......LOL:D

goneboatin
05-13-2004, 12:31 PM
I understand that problems do come up, but come on, don't load up your boat on the ramp.
Don't hold your boat at ramp while someone goes to get the trailer - putt out in the marina until your ride shows up and wait in line.
Don't wipe your boat down on the launch ramp.
Don't unload your boat on the launch ramp.
If you have 2 SeaDon'ts, use a tow rope to pull the other out of the ramp area into the marina while your buddy gets the trailer, or hold them both off to far side away from the ramp.
Oh yeah, not everybody wants to hear the same music you do cranked up, especially if you or somebody is giving directions. (It's a safety issue).
This isn't brain surgery, a little courtesy goes a long way...(Can't we all just get along?)

leibniz
05-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Some people are courteous and others aren't. Just that simple. The same folks who help you out at the boat launch are the same ones who let you go in front of them in line at the checkout because you only have 2 items and they have a cart full.
The problem is that there is no law against morons owning boats. (Although I believe there is something on the books against morons writing operating systems, but that's a topic for another thread...)
Jsut my $0.02 (CDN)