PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone been on a cruise to the carribean?

AZmike
05-10-2004, 03:46 PM
The girlfriend is trying to plan a carribean cruise for 7 days but we can't decide bewteen the western or eastern carribean. The eastern is San Juan, St maarten, St thomas and St john. The western is Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios. Anyone have any input on these spots? Which cruise is better?
I told her 7 days crusing on the ole eliminator would be a quality vacation but she's not having it..
Thanks for the help
Mike

Rvr2Bch
05-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by AZmike
The girlfriend is trying to plan a carribean cruise for 7 days but we can't decide bewteen the western or eastern carribean. The eastern is San Juan, St maarten, St thomas and St john. The western is Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios. Anyone have any input on these spots? Which cruise is better?
I told her 7 days crusing on the ole eliminator would be a quality vacation but she's not having it..
Thanks for the help
Mike
Mike,
I have only been to the Bahamas and Mexico on a Cruise, so I can't give you first hand info. I do know that you have to decide what you want out of the cruise. I believe that a lot of the Western Carib cruises have more time on the ship, versus the Eastern which stop almost every day. If you do an Eastern Carib, most of the Cruise lines will stop for a day at their own private island. That can be nice. I just helped some friends book a 7 day cruise out of Port Canaveral that goes to the Eastern Carib on Royal Caribbean and they got a pretty good deal on it. If I had the choice, I'd do the Eastern Carib.
-Rvr2Bch

Infomaniac
05-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Western !!
Much more diverse destinations.
Grand Caymen is beautiful and no Poverty. Contrast from Mexico.
Virgin islands are rude people.

Scream
05-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Virgin islands are rude people.
Probably cause they haven't been laid yet!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
My wife's parents go all the time, have done both. Just got back from the Western, Cozumel, etc and loved it. Regardless of where you go you'll probably have a good time, although this is not from personal experience, I consider a trip to Phoenix exotic.

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by AZmike
Thanks for the help
Mike
We've never been on a cruise. My parents go all the time and "bug" us about going. I would love to, but we are "set up" for the river and camping....and I really like doing that. This is the first year we have hotel boated, and that seems so cool to me!!
I don't know if I would like it on a big old boat, and then , well you know how you know the good spots and bad spots at the river? What if you get stuck at a "bad" island....
I am happy with our vacations, I would like to go more often....
Maybe we will go on a cruise someday.....but for now I am happy with the river.................:D

Mandelon
05-10-2004, 05:49 PM
I've only been on the Pirates of the Carribean. :frown:

Debbolas
05-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I've only been on the Pirates of the Carribean. :frown:
IMO
you should stay off cruise boats, what if they don't cook their chicken properly and you always see all those sick folk, stranded on those cruise lines..............lol;)

Kilrtoy
05-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Done the western, It can be a party cruise or just relaxing.
Have not done the eastern, have friends that have and they said it is a relaxing cruise. Everyone says the western is better,
now if you want to do a better cruise, do the southern....
Which cruise line.....

SoCalOffshore
05-10-2004, 07:34 PM
I have done each more than once. Depends on what you want to do. I enjoy the WEstern cause it has better scuba and Cozumel is a partying place. St Thomas is a place for shopping and San Juan is ok.

572Daytona
05-10-2004, 07:39 PM
I've never been on a cruise but I've been to St. Thomas, St. Johns, Cozumel and St. Maarten as well as other destinations in the Caribbean. St. Maarten is by far and away our favorite.

Scream
05-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
I've never been on a cruise but I've been to St. Thomas, St. Johns, Cozumel and St. Maarten as well as other destinations in the Caribbean. St. Maarten is by far and away our favorite.
Then get a lounge chair, sit out by the pool, have someone come by and give you drinks and a very large bill at the end of your "stay", and don't forget to dress for dinner. That ought to complete the experience. lol

FRENCHIE
05-10-2004, 08:05 PM
did bahamas lastyear, was fun, but needed more time ont he islands, Nassau, and Freeeport!:(

TOBTEK
05-10-2004, 09:10 PM
I can help on this one! we did the Explorer of the sea's (royal carribean) in Oct of 03 for our honeymoon. DO NOT do the western cruise (we did:( ) the ship was over the top incredible! BUT the ONLY stop worth while was Grand Caymen! Ocho Rios was like going to TJ mexico as was Cozumel...they left me thinking why are all these beautiful places in horrible third world countries???? they were flat out GROSS! I would and want to book another cruise on ROYAL CARRIBEAN (Eastrnroute..this time to .st martin-st thomas, we had a awesome suite on level 10, right next to the Royal suite...we had a suite, but forget the name of it? Make sure you get a nice room as high as you can (or afford....same thing) and DO NOT get a cabin in back of the boat. Beacuse the vibration from the props and motors is OVERWELMING! you will not believe it! Most of the stops are tourist traps, but you will love it. Try NOT to go on carinival cruise lines! my wife has been a few times on the tours and she says that these new ROYAL carribean ships are WAY better......fill free to P/M if you like....toby
PS: Do book it, it was worth every penny!

little rowe boat
05-10-2004, 09:14 PM
We did the western and it was fantastic, we cruised on royal carribean.

SoCalOffshore
05-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I loved Cozumel, Ochos Rios is Jamaica and questionable at best and Grand Caymen has great scuba as well.

BADBLOWN572
05-10-2004, 09:40 PM
I went on the Western about 2 years ago. I loved Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but Ocho Rios sucked. It was extremely dirty and nothing worth seeing. Overall I would recommend the cruise, but make that day a day to stay inside and enjoy the ship all by yourself when everyone is out dealing with the mob.

Kilrtoy
05-10-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm with TOBTEK,
Catman was awesome, Sub ride and swam with the stingrays,
Cozumel was just like TJ and OR was like a prostitute weed stop, EVEN though the country is beautiful , did not feel safe....

AZmike
05-11-2004, 06:56 AM
thanks everyone for the input

1Shockwaveguy
05-11-2004, 09:12 AM
PM me if you would like some info. I have been to the Eastern twice

Ducatista
05-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Just pick a quality cruise line you'll have a blast on either, if you like to be wined & dined. We have done the Eastern once and the Western twice, both very nice. My wife & I dive so the Western trip that includes Cozumel(second largest coral reef in the world) or Grand Cayman or both, is must do if ya like the bubbles. :cool:

AZmike
05-11-2004, 10:20 AM
She decided on the western cruise, me personally it doesn't matter, I haven't been on either.

bilgewiper
05-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Might I suggest as opposed to a traditional cruise.....A bareboat charter. My wife and I along with 7 other of our boating friends just got backfrom a 10 day trip to Belize where we chartered a 3 month old $500.000+ 43' Cat with twin Diesels, gen, A/C, 4 double staterooms, 2 singles staterooms, etc etc. It was a vacation of a lifetime. Sailing/motoring from one island/caye to another. The people are very friendly and don't beg, and you have to chase them down to give them tips unlike elsewhere in the world. All you need is one person in your party to have a C.G. skippers license. This is the boat we cruised on. http://sailtmm.com/Belize/Boats/belize_436specs.cfm Of coarse you might need to find a dfew friends to share the cost like we did.

AZmike
05-11-2004, 01:59 PM
bilge,
that looks like a nice setup but I don't want to hang out with my buddies on this one if you know wha I mean;)

Pointerman
05-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Went on a Princess Cruise a few years ago. We stopped at Carracas Venezuela, Aruba, Grenada, St. Thomas and one other Island if I am not mistaken. Carracas was scary. St. Thomas was for shopping and Aruba and Grenada were very nice. We went with a group from my wife's work and most of the island trips were organized, so we managed to stay away from the scary areas. Princess is an amazing cruise line. Service is absolutely phenominal.

Uplink
05-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Mike, me and my wife went on the Southern Cruise, on Royal Caribbean's , "Adventure Of The Seas". Awsome, state of the art ship. Went to St. Thomas, St. John, Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados. Have an unforgettable time, woke up each morning pulling into a different island. Had so much fun at St. John, (across the channel from St. Thomas) we almost missed the ship (they actually had to wait 10 minutes for us because we were missing) Ate like royalty every night. Would highly recomend that trip, and Royal Caribbean.
good luck, Mark