PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with this regarding freeze plugs?

78Southwind
05-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I took my boat out last Friday for a boat test at Lake Elsinore and noticed dripping between the bell housing and engine block. I wasnÂ’t sure what it was so today I filled the block with water via a garden hose and thought it might be a rear freeze plug. I have several questions: first could this leak be something else and second if it is a freeze plug is there any way to replace it with out taking the engine out of the boat? I took some pictures today of the leak under a little pressure via the garden hose. The leak is not as bad under a normal load at the lake. Any help would be appreciated.

78Southwind
05-10-2004, 09:36 PM
http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/flowing_off_bellhousing.jpg
http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/flowing_off_olifilter.jpg

Wet Dream
05-10-2004, 09:43 PM
There could be several places its coming from. Do you see any traces of water from the intake manifold ports, or maybe water splashing off of the flywheel that kicks it up from the bilge?

78Southwind
05-10-2004, 10:02 PM
I didn't notice any water on the manifold. I thought that the water could be kicking off the flywheel when I was at the lake but now that I filled the block with water via the garden hose I know that is not it.

Wet Dream
05-10-2004, 10:36 PM
If you are running a wide open garden hose through the engine (provided your home has good water pressure) you could be pushing water past the seals or gaskets. Same thing with the pressure from the jet feeding the block. If its too high, it will create its own leaks.

mgar_red
05-10-2004, 11:22 PM
By looking at your pics, it seems you have water squirting out at two diff places: between the block and oil filter, and another stream going towards your u-joints.
I'm kinda thinking you might have a blown head gasket. There may not be any water in your oil if the leak is right at the edge and flowing outwards. Might want to take your oil filter off and do a leak test again to see where it was coming from. Maybe the coil braket also.

Nucking futs
05-11-2004, 10:07 AM
It looks to me as if the freeze plugs,but kind of hard from thi pics.You dont have to pull the engine to replace them and imo i would just chang them out with the brass plugs and go from there. the plugs are cheap and easy to install then if the leak is still there start looking elsewhere, just my .02 cents

78Southwind
05-13-2004, 10:30 PM
I want to post some more pictures before I pulled the engine to replace the rear freeze plugs. The pictures are taken from under the oil filter between the bellhousing and the block. There is a small drip of water coming from where I would think that the freeze plug is located. Any other suggestions besides the freeze plugs? Any impute would be greatly appreciated.
http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/PICT0097.JPG
http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/PICT0092.JPG

CrdStang
05-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Just start taking stuff apart until you can be sure where the leak is coming from..

78Southwind
05-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys

Nucking futs
05-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Are you sure you need to pull the engine?Just pull the bell housing to get to the rears, no?

78Southwind
05-19-2004, 05:29 PM
I think we found the problem.
http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/PICT0101.JPG

Oldsquirt
05-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 78Southwind
I think we found the problem.
Yep, that'll do it.... Make sure you replace all of the freeze plugs and use BRASS.

Wet Dream
05-19-2004, 10:00 PM
That looks like a hell of a culprit. ;)

1tricky1
05-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Maybe it was the wind out at lake Elsinore that blew that freeze plug out:D
Hey, I'm the guy who was talking with you at Jack in the box. Glad you found the leak. It was so rough on the way back from the cove that I lost part of my rub rail. That little cove was a cool little hang out! Maybe we'll see out there again sometime.
Hey I spoke with Lew at the races last weekend and I told him about you but like a numbscull I forgot your name. He's rackin his brain trying to figure out who he knows who has a Southwind with a yellow engine block?

78Southwind
05-20-2004, 12:12 AM
It felt like we were out in the ocean. After you guys left I still had to go back and pick up the rest of our gear at another beach. Its funny how five-foot waves crashing over your boat will help you forget about a leaky freeze plug? When we were coming back I saw the guy with the blue outboard broke down getting pulled in by his friends jet boat. By the way nice meeting you guys I might be back out at Elsinore on Saturday. I use to work with Lew back in the early nineties. The last time I saw Lew was last year but I hadnÂ’t talked to him for years before that. LewÂ’s a great guy he would probably remember if you told him I was Jerry from Certified Grocers and the block is more of an Chevy Orange color. Let me know when you guys are going back out to Elsinore. The next Friday trip at Elsinore will be June 11th . I will be at Laughlin (Memorial weekend and the Boat Races weekend). I put you on my buddy list.
Later Jerry

1tricky1
05-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Been away from the boards for a while...too much work, but hey that's what supports the hobby! It definitely was a rough trip back to the ramp. I ended up losing a large piece of my rub rail from the waves. Although it was kinda fun!...I just let her fly on the way back, better than getting beat to death. I even made it back before the the first group left :D . He was dropping off the family and I remember him mentioning having to go check on his outboard buddy...what a bummer to be caught out in those conditions . It was really nice meeting you too Jerry. Going to Havasu the weekend after memorial day. If your gonna go to Elsinore the next Friday, I'll definitely try to make it.
Lew was definitely puzzled when I told him the block was yellow?
C-ya on the water, Lance.:D