PDA

View Full Version : 6" Lift on a '99 Tahoe???

RiverToysJas
05-10-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm looking to lift my 99 Tahoe, 6" with a Pro-Comp kit.
My current tires are equivalent to roughly 31's. They are good tires, but will they look to silly once the lift is in??? I plan to go to 33s once those tires wear out. Will that be a good size tire for that lift?
I'm running 3:73 gears, and don't want to go to lower gears or tires bigger than 33"s.
Thanks for any input you experts might have!!!
RTJas :D

mbrown2
05-10-2004, 09:55 PM
35's might look best, but 33's will work and keep you from having to regear....31's will look too small...my .02

CustomCruiser
05-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Yeah, what mbrown2 said.

HotHallet
05-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Jason is it a 2wd or 4wd? 33's will work fine if it is a 2wd but with a 4wd they are already a little taller stock so 35's would look better. I have a chevy silverado 2wd the same body style as your tahoe and i run 33's. it has a 7-inch Fabtech lift. I regeared mine and it made a huge difference. Also I would spend a few more greenbacks and get a better kit. Pro Comp is not the best. I would go with an RCD lift. It has drop down brackets to maintain stock ft. susp. geometry and rides bitchin. Just my .02! Good luck with your project!

RiverToysJas
05-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey Travis,
My Tahoe is 4wd (otherwise I'd be lowering it ;) LOL ).
Interesting what you say about Pro-Comp, because according to my research their kit works best with the NP246 transfer case (which I have). They say that they have worked out the geometry for that case, and I know other kits have had problems with it. The Pro-Comp also keeps the tires at stock width or offset, something other kits do not. For those reasons I chose to spend the higher $$$ for the ProComp, it's MSRP is $2828!!!! They have it at 4WheelParts for $2130 right now. I think that's a shit load of money for a 6" lift. I'd rather go with a 4" lift actually, but Pro-Comp doens't make one.
All that being said, I know NOTHING about RCD. I'll do some research for sure. Depends how much more $$$ they are than Pro-Comp though. Since it essentially adds zero value to the truck, I don't really want to spend 5 grand (by the time it's installed with new tires). On the other hand, if I can get a good 4" lift frm RCD, that might work better.....
Great info guy, thanks and keep it up!!! :)

Up 4 River
05-11-2004, 12:49 PM
I have your same body style but mine is a 1997. I have the 6" Fab Tech with 35 x 12.50 BFG all terain and they look and work fine. I haven't had any problems with the clearence or anything.
U4R

RiverToysJas
05-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Up 4 River
I have your same body style but mine is a 1997. I have the 6" Fab Tech with 35 x 12.50 BFG all terain and they look and work fine. I haven't had any problems with the clearence or anything.
U4R
Thanks! You must have 2wd though, according to Fabtech's website, they don't make a kit for my truck in 4wd. :(

Up 4 River
05-11-2004, 01:08 PM
I do have the 2 wheel, and forgot that yours was a 4 wheel. I have seen four wheels ans they sit nicely on this setup. I can't speak for how they ride though.
U4R

Lightning
05-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Jas,
The last kit I would choose is a Pro-Comp. If you are looking for a kit that is close to 4" - check out the Rancho kit. The RCD kit is the best kit in my opinion, but will set up a little taller than the Rancho.
You may want to plan to regear if you go to 35's - or plan to stop at the gas station alot more often.

Hustler
05-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Just do the RCD kit Jas. Stay away from the Pro-Comp unless you like to buy tires often. Also my truck had a 4" lift with 33's if you go to a 6" you are going to need 35's

RiverToysJas
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Ok I found this on the RCD...
RCD 6" Suspension System 1995-2000 Tahoe/Yukon (old body style) 4-Door Features:
1995-2000 Tahoe/Yukon 4-Door OLD Body Style 6-Lug IFS
Will yield total of 4.5-6" front/4" rear lift
No special drive shafts are required
Clears 33" x 12.50" tires on 16x8" wheels, 35" x 12.50" with minor bumper trimming
Requires wheels with a maximum of 4.5" of back-spacing on 16" wheels, 4.75" on 16.5"
and larger wheels. 8" wide wheels are highly recommended
Some models may require an exhaust modification to clear front drive shaft.
Front system increases vehiclke track width 2" for added stability
Due to inconsistent ride height from the factory, some models may need an optional
add-a-leaf to level the vehicle. (see below) System may require rear driveline
modification if over 5" of rear lift is achieved with block and add-a-leaf combination
RCD 6" Suspension System for 1995-2000 Tahoe/Yukon 6-lug IFS, OLD BODY STYLE
ONLY 4-Door ONLY
P/N: RCD-10-41095
$1613.93 + $50.00 SHIPS ANYWHERE IN THE CONTINENTAL US!
That sounds like a pretty good deal, but I don't like the idea of kicking the tires out an inch on each side. They already stick out quite a bit....I guess I could always add fender flares to my list..... :rolleyes: :D It clearly says that 33s work best though. I'm also still going to need airbags still....this project is getting a little big .... ;)

Jordy
05-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
Just do the RCD kit Jas. Stay away from the Pro-Comp unless you like to buy tires often. Also my truck had a 4" lift with 33's if you go to a 6" you are going to need 35's
My thoughts exactly. :D

77charger
05-11-2004, 04:54 PM
pass on the pro comp.My brother has a 2wd (about as high as yours is stock):D But added a 6inch fab tech and 33s it looks good now he has the 3.73 gears and 33s so far he said it tows fine.

HotHallet
05-12-2004, 10:03 AM
'95 Silverado 2wd
7-inch Fabtech lift
33-inch BFG Muds on 16x8 Welds
4.56 gears
This is what I got.
I went with the 4.56's for towing and tow it does. I added an AEM air intake and Gibson headers and exhaust.
Jason- You will be alright with the 3.73's but down the road I would recommend re-gearing to a 4.10. Even I thin k the 4.56's was a bit much!
travis

Lightning
05-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Jas,
What's the latest on your lift? Have you decided on what you are going to do?

RiverToysJas
05-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
Jas,
What's the latest on your lift? Have you decided on what you are going to do?
Yeah, I think I'm pretty sure of what I'm going to do now.....The information here was a big help!!! I am passing on the lift at this time. It was getting too out of hand with all the extra stuff I'd end up needing. I figured I'd end up spending 4-5grand in the end, and have a nothing but a drivetrain that probably wouldn't last as long as stock (most people I know with lifts have tranny & other drive-line issues sooner than those that don't). On the other hand, it would look really cool....it was a tougher choice than it should have been actually! ;)
I will soon be ording the stuff I need to install air-bags in the rear. That will level the truck. I don't like it when the ass of the truck is lower than the front, looks like something it broken IMO. So now (esp when towing), the truck won't look over loaded!
After that, I've been looking into new tortion bars for the front, to kick it up an inch or two. I would just crank the current bars, but I heard this is hard on the ball-joints. Though I think Jordy is getting away with it, and has been for some time.
I'll keep you all posted when the air-bag stuff comes......

RiverToysJas
05-12-2004, 08:51 PM
One more thing, I'm also doing new shocks all the way around. The original Bilstien's(sp?) are pretty much shot after 5 years and over 80,000 miles.
Any suggestions on shocks from the peanut gallery???

Jordy
05-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Though I think Jordy is getting away with it, and has been for some time.
It just passed a year on one truck and 4 months on the other. Interesting, when I did it I talked to a couple different off road shops and they all fed me lines on how it was bad on the ball joints and the CV's and how I should spend X number of thousands on their lift and all my problems would be solved.
Talked to a guy who is buddies with my boss and happens to work at an offroad shop. I told him about what I had been fed from the other shops and asked him if there was any truth to it or if they were just trying to sell me a lift. His reply: They're selling lifts for a living. It's a sales pitch. You have to figure that they're not going to have the capability of adjustment (especially not so easily) on something that will be so detrimental.
Just my $0.02.
BTW, I do still have my other re-indexed keys as well, but just haven't been motivated to put them in yet for that extra 1" or so of clearance.

RiverToysJas
05-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Jordy, did you get an alignment after cranking up the tortions?

ROZ
05-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I think you should put 26"mcClean gold spokes and Bag it then call it a day:D

Jordy
05-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Jordy, did you get an alignment after cranking up the tortions?
Actually I didn't and haven't seen any wierd tire wear either. I'm running BFG Mud-Terrains which are very prone to strange wear patterns any way, and they've worn normal. I'm on my second set now. :D

rivercrazy
05-13-2004, 08:25 AM
One more thing, I'm also doing new shocks all the way around. The original Bilstien's(sp?) are pretty much shot after 5 years and over 80,000 miles.
Any suggestions on shocks from the peanut gallery???
I replaced my stock shocks with Heavy Duty Bilsteins on my Tundra. The after market Bilsteins are much better than stockers and last a VERY long time. It cured my real end squat, improved overall ride, and it corners/handles much better. I have about 40K miles on mine and I cannot detect any erosion in performance in them.
Try the shocks first and if that doesn't work, then bag her!

Froggystyle
05-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I replaced my stock shocks with Heavy Duty Bilsteins on my Tundra. The after market Bilsteins are much better than stockers and last a VERY long time. It cured my real end squat, improved overall ride, and it corners/handles much better. I have about 40K miles on mine and I cannot detect any erosion in performance in them.
Try the shocks first and if that doesn't work, then bag her!
How did shocks cure rear end squat? Unless they are dramatically different on Tundras, the shock does exactly zero towards supporting any load. All they do is attenutate the rebound and compression of the spring to keep it from bouncing all over the road.
Not stirring shit, just wondering...

Speedin' Ian
05-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Don't know much about Bilstiens, but when I put KYB's on one of my cars it lifted the back a little due to the gas charge.

RiverToysJas
05-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Not stirring shit, just wondering...
I was wondering the same thing. There're must be a heck of gas charge in those things!! I'm looking into them right now.....

rivercrazy
05-13-2004, 01:34 PM
I do know that my stock non-bilstein shocks were totally shot when I upgraded to the Heavy Duty Bilsteins. The HD Bilsteins are an offroad shock that have a pretty high internal pressure.
After the install my ride got a bit firmer and the truck squat much less when loaded down. I think my boat trailer's tongue weight is probably about 400-450 pounds and my truck doesn't squat much (much less than with the old worn out shocks). It used to bottom a little as well with a real good bed payload (like over 700 pounds) with the old shocks over big road bumps. That totally went away with the HD Bilsteins

Lightning
05-15-2004, 11:25 AM
I put in the reindexed keys in my truck (2004-2500hd) and also upgraded to the Bilstein shocks. Those shocks made all the difference in the world. The new torsion keys and crannking on the torsion bars leveled out the ride and it's not super harsh like everyone says it was going to be. I definately recommend an allignment after cranking the torsion bars. You ride may not pull one way or the other, but I think it throws off the camber/caster or something.
I was able to clear 33's with this setup.

cc322
05-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Jason if you do the lift go with Rancho or RCD. I have the 4 inch ranco on my 00 expedition and have had no problems. infact I here that rcd made all of ranchos kits? I was running 35's on my expy but lost alot of low end, so I changed over to 33' alot better for me. If your just going to do shocks you have no other choice bot to go with the BILSTIENS period. I had the ranchos 9000 and 5000 and the Bilsteins are a far superior shock, do your research on this and you will see. My kit came with the 9000 and after a year switched over to the Bilsteins, the expy handels way better and fills more stable while towing, I would go for the rcd lift cause they come with the Bilsteins shocks. A friend of mine at work just lifted his sub and used fabtec, but opted to go with the Bilsteins. Good luck.

565edge
05-16-2004, 09:30 PM
I have a 1997 tahoe.I have 16x8 wheels with 285 all terrains.They fit stock.I added a fabtech 6" kit and it is 4 wheel drive.The only difference is the drop down bracket for the torsion bars.You can goto a gm dealership and get the truck crossmember and bolt up the kit.I found mine on ebay with a treiple shock hoop with shocks for $800 brand new.You can find deals.I have put a decent amount of lifts on.If you have any questions just ask.Once my tires wear down i am going with the 315's(35").I have the same wheels you got.The rcd is a good lift too.I would go with either of these kits.They come with new lift spindles and you just drop down the bottom a-arms.Pro comps suck.I did have great luck with a 6" trailmaster on a 94 i had.I beat that truck and never broke any suspension parts.

RiverToysJas
05-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info guys!!! I'm currently ordering the HD Bilsteins, and we'll see from there..... ;) Thanks again.

cc322
05-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Jason if your thinking about the lift DONT get the shocks yet, you will have to buy new ones if you do the lift later.

cc322
07-02-2004, 08:23 PM
WELL DID YOU GET THE BILSTIENS???????????????

Uplink
07-16-2004, 06:37 AM
I'm looking to lift my 99 Tahoe, 6" with a Pro-Comp kit.
My current tires are equivalent to roughly 31's. They are good tires, but will they look to silly once the lift is in??? I plan to go to 33s once those tires wear out. Will that be a good size tire for that lift?
I'm running 3:73 gears, and don't want to go to lower gears or tires bigger than 33"s.
Thanks for any input you experts might have!!!
Jas, I used to have a '97 Tahoe, with a Procomp 6" lift and 33's w/stock 3.73 gears. Although it looked good, the towing was horrible with those tires and gears. RPMs were too low and it slowed to a crawl climbing over grades (which is in the way of all the good lakes). If you decide to lift later, I would definately re-gear.
later, Mark
:)