PDA

View Full Version : Lake Don Pedro memorial weekend

Robbie Racer
05-12-2004, 07:22 AM
A couple of us are camping and boating at Lake Don Pedro (Near Sonora and Jamestown) over memorial weekend. They no longer have any campsites available but if any other northern CA hot boaters want to join us for a day trip over that weekend let me know. We plan to be boating at Don Pedro on Saturday and Sunday and then motor over to New Malones on Monday morning and boat there on that day. Hope to see some of you there. :cool:

Desert Rat
05-12-2004, 12:26 PM
You can always boat in camp. We did it for years when we lived in NorCal

mike37
05-12-2004, 04:59 PM
how big is
Lake Don Pedro
do they party like at havasu or is it more old folks

Robbie Racer
05-12-2004, 06:03 PM
D/R, I forgot about the boat in camping. Good point.
Mike, the lake has 160 miles of shoreline with nearly 13,000 surface acres of water. There are a lot of all ages of people that go there from fishermen to wake boarders (not many hot boats). I don't think it is any where near the party atmosphere as Havasu. No sandbar and no channel for people to hang out and party.

mike37
05-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Iv herd itÂ’s a beautiful lake to go boating
Is there a lot of coves

LASERRAY
05-12-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm seriously considering a trip up there this year. It's only about 6 hours from here in the 805. I've heard nothing but good things about LDP.:cool:

Robbie Racer
05-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Mike, it has quite a few coves. Here is a link to a map of the lake. http://www.donpedrolake.com/mapLake.html
Laser, let me know if/when you make plans to make the drive and I will try to hook up with you if it works out.

bocco
05-13-2004, 08:08 AM
I spend amost all of my boatong time at Don Pedro. Great lake. You won't find Havasu style parties but the place to hang out in the afternoon is Gardner falls behind "Pig Roast Island". If you look at the map on the link that was posted. It's about halfway between Flemming Meadows and Moccasin point where the lake opens up wider. You can see the 2 creeks that flow into the water fall. You'll see mostly wakeboard boats rafted up in there. But it gets entertaining on the big weekends.
Also take a run as far as can up the river that feeds into the lake past mocassin point it's a nice ride. Just watch your depth when it starts to get narrow. If you see a 20' eliminator that's white with shades of orange, say hi. Or if you see it tied up to a houseboat named "High Mainenance" say hi there also.
There is boat in camping allowed on most of the lake. There are even a few outhouses strategically placed. Some floaters also.
Enjoy the weekend
Gary

Up 4 River
05-13-2004, 11:06 AM
I spent my first weekend up there two weekends ago and the lake is beautiful. Nont to many ***boaters like RR said, and I was with a buddy on a wakeboard boat that weekend. It seemed like a great place to get back to the things boating are all about and that's enjoying the water, sun, skiing and good times with friends and family. I am considering going back up there and visiting my buddy in Modesto that weekend and if I do we'll be out on the lake Sat and Sunday. It would be great to meet some of you if I do. I hope you won't pull away if we show up in a Master Craft.:D
U4R

mike37
05-13-2004, 04:19 PM
sound like a nice place got it on my lakes to got to list

Robbie Racer
05-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Gary & U4R, I will keep an eye out for you guys when I'm on LDP. Be sure to flag me down if you see me before I see you.
Keith

acatitude
05-14-2004, 04:41 PM
I might make it saturday Keith, boat and me are home a few things to do, will let ya know

Maxey
05-15-2004, 07:41 AM
Robbie,
We go to Lake Don Pedro often. You should check out the Mocassin Point campground as they have two "overflow" camping areas. We usually stay there instead of the "regular" sites because they are close to the water and we can leave our boat in the water. The roads are not paved, but the campsites have water, table, food locker, and nearby restrooms with "cold" water. Wish we were going. :frown:

likeFATHERlikeSON3
05-16-2004, 08:08 PM
its a great lake. boating there my whole life. family has had a houseboat up there for forty years. seventh one on the lake. "Pleasure Pad II"... memorial weekend gets pretty rough. lots of boats. good picture opp. on any one of the three bridges going back river. just hike up the hill and have someone do a pass underneath...http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/230crush6565-med.bmp
i wont be there but my brother will. look for this hydro and give him the bird for me:D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/230Lake_03_008-med.jpg :cool:

Robbie Racer
05-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Ken, glad to hear you got the boat back home. I hope you can make it up to see us that Saturday over Memorial weekend.
Maxey, yeah I like Moccassin Point campground too. That's where we will be camping that weekend. Hope to see you up there the next time.
Like, Great pictures. I never thought about getting some from the bridge. Good idea. I will keep an eye out for your brother in the Sanger hydro. Nice looking boats. :)

Three Days Only
05-17-2004, 01:09 PM
4th of July weekend is great up at LDP. They have a killer fireworks show at the damn between Fleming Meadows and Blue Oaks Campgroup. The boating there is alot differnt then Havasu, there arent a bunch of A-Holes everywhere. Mostly families doing watersports and a bunch of mellow people.
I have had many good trips up there over the past 15 years.
Jeff

acatitude
05-17-2004, 09:27 PM
sounds good keith, look forward to seeing you guys and Al's new ride, it looks awesome. I'm hoping to go to berryesa this Sunday. will do a litle testing saturday at folsom and if its still running(lol) will be at berryessa on sunday if your around. where the hell is hulshot? tell magster I said hi

Robbie Racer
05-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Ken, are you still planning on meeting us at LDP this weekend? What day? We are going to be meeting hulshot and Racer out in the water in front of the Fleming Meadow's launch ramp around 11 on Sunday morning. We will be leaving in a few hours, so call me with details if you don't respond to this post by mid morning.
Keith

hulshot
05-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Ken the plan is to still go on Sunday because I have to work sat.

acatitude
05-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Ill be there sunday morning plan on leaving here about 6/630, so we will see ya there . i just need to check map again.

bocco
05-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by blowncarrera
Ill be there sunday morning plan on leaving here about 6/630, so we will see ya there . i just need to check map again.
blowncarrera,
It's easy from Sac. Take 99 or 5 south. Around Manteca take 120 east. Follow the signs through Escalon to stay on 120. In Oakdale you need to hang a left at the Hersheys factory to stay on 120. It's the big intersection in the middle of the town. Again, watch the signs. After that left you stay on 120 straight out of town into the foothills. take a right on Lagrange Rd (J59). Go 14 miles to Bonds flat Rd. Take a left. After you cross the damm watch for Flemming Meadows on the left.
If you are heading to Mocasin stay on 120. Head through Chinese Camp until you cross the bridge and watch on your lefdt.
Have fun.
Gary

acatitude
05-29-2004, 09:09 PM
thanks bocco, I was thinking it was almost faster to go to modesto and take 132 by looking at map. I will go your way, hope to see ya all sunday