PDA

View Full Version : flying lessons

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Anyone ever take flying lessons? How much do they run?
DMB

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 11:36 AM
About $140 per lesson including plane rental.
Oh, and, it's better to go with the more expensive flight school that uses well maintained planes. One place you don't want to have mechanical failure, is 5,000 ft. in the air......
Also, get an instructor with over 500 hours. NEVER get a newbie instructor with 200ish.

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 11:37 AM
How many lessons before you get your license?
DMB

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
How many lessons before you get your license?
DMB
You want about 60 hours AT LEAST before your check ride. Each lesson is about 1-1.5 hours flight time. Try to fly twice a week, maybe three times.

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Do you have yours?

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 11:48 AM
I have 40 hours, never took my check ride. Had two close calls that made me see Jesus. :D Decided to call it quits for now.
I will probably get back to it in a few years. I went to a bottom of the barrel school. We had to top off the oil in the plane every time cause it was eating oil. Also the leading edge of one wing was all dented up from hitting birds, so when we were doing stall recovery testing, one wing would ALWAYS stall before the other since the aerodynamic characteristics were dissimilar between the two wings (one wing would lose lift before the other and you would end up practically upside down).
On my birthday, I did a stall, and recovered. The instuctor said I was recovering too early and I told him to do a stall and show me how long to hold it. Well, he stalled the airplane, we went into a free fall, then upside down, then into the spins, he broke the spin, then broke the stall with 500 ft. to spare. I thought I was dead for sure.
Like I said, fly good airplanes, in good mechanical and structural condition. ;)

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Wow, makes me think twice about going throug with it. Although it would make the river trips much better. :D
DMB

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 12:07 PM
How would it make the river trips better? Are you thinking of getting a license to fly out there?

Sleek-Jet
05-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
I have 40 hours, never took my check ride. Had two close calls that made me see Jesus. :D Decided to call it quits for now.
I will probably get back to it in a few years. I went to a bottom of the barrel school. We had to top off the oil in the plane every time cause it was eating oil. Also the leading edge of one wing was all dented up from hitting birds, so when we were doing stall recovery testing, one wing would ALWAYS stall before the other since the aerodynamic characteristics were dissimilar between the two wings (one wing would lose lift before the other and you would end up practically upside down).
On my birthday, I did a stall, and recovered. The instuctor said I was recovering too early and I told him to do a stall and show me how long to hold it. Well, he stalled the airplane, we went into a free fall, then upside down, then into the spins, he broke the spin, then broke the stall with 500 ft. to spare. I thought I was dead for sure.
Like I said, fly good airplanes, in good mechanical and structural condition. ;)
Here's a news flash, any plane will spin, regardless what's on the leading edge. A spin is caused by uncordinated flight, whether it's caused by a contaminated leading edge or not. Keep the ball centerd with your feet, it'll stall straight ahead, and stay there.
Your instuctor sucks.
I learned to fly part 61, didn't go through a part 141 school. Big shops do lousy maint. as well, trust me.
Learing to fly will be one of the greatest accomplishments of your life, go for it. Just do your homework on the schools and instructors, better yet find a mentor through Be-A-Pilot, he/she can help you sort through the B.S.

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 12:10 PM
You got it. It would takeme 45 minuts to fly out there compared to 4 hours of driving. It has been running through my head so i wanted to get more info on it. The lessons are one thing but then there is also the plane issue. have no idea about them or how to work on them.
DMB

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
Here's a news flash, any plane will spin, regardless what's on the leading edge. A spin is caused by uncordinated flight, whether it's caused by a contaminated leading edge or not. Keep the ball centerd with your feet, it'll stall straight ahead, and stay there.
Your instuctor sucks.
I learned to fly part 61, didn't go through a part 141 school. Big shops do lousy maint. as well, trust me.
Learing to fly will be one of the greatest accomplishments of your life, go for it. Just do your homework on the schools and instructors, better yet find a mentor thruogh Be-A-Pilot, he/she can help you sort through the B.S.
You're probably right. When I did my first solo, my instructor was inside the school playing solitare on the computer. Wasn't he supposed to be in the tower?????
Justin

PICKLEtheLOAD
05-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Yes. FREE (via taxpayer) :D :D :D
Seriously though, Justin has some valid points. Go flying with someone who has bookoo hours and a current instrument rating. It is my firm belief that a lot of rookies do not take pre-flight weather seriously. Look at the news and pay attention to why a plane crash occured. Sometimes it is mechanical failure, but a majority of the time it is someone who got into a situation where the requirements for a successful hop exceeded their capabilities.
Flying is one of the most incredible experiences ever! Get some lessons and go hang out in a bounce pattern somewhere, you will love it! Just pay attention and always err to the side of safety.:)

Havasu47
05-12-2004, 12:12 PM
I'll teach you :D :D

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 12:13 PM
You got it. It would takeme 45 minuts to fly out there compared to 4 hours of driving. It has been running through my head so i wanted to get more info on it. The lessons are one thing but then there is also the plane issue. have no idea about them or how to work on them.
DMB
You don't work on your own airplane, EVER. You have to have a FAA certified mechanic do all the work, then get the work certified. You can get a used cessna 152 for around 20k. Not sure on storage costs. But you have to pay for all the mechanical work to be done.

Sleek-Jet
05-12-2004, 12:15 PM
You're probably right. When I did my first solo, my instructor was inside the school playing solitare on the computer. Wasn't he supposed to be in the tower?????
Justin
Well, they are required to observe your first couple solo's, wether in the tower or on the ramp.
Some intructors are in it just for the hours, and don't care what kind of pilots they turn out.
Find someone who likes to teach, they are the best to learn from.
My instructor I had for my multi liscense was just building time. If I wouldn't have been on the ball about a few things, I wouldn't have earned the ticket, at least not on the first try.

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Havasu47
Before or after the daiquiris?

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Havasu47
Just because you can "fly" on the river does not mean you can FLY in the air. :D
DMB

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Before or after the daiquiris?
Alcohol and flying = death.
You shouldn't even have a drop of alcohol 40 hours before you fly. You are using spacial senses you didn't know you even had when you fly. Don't ever fly when you are not 100%

Sleek-Jet
05-12-2004, 12:20 PM
You don't work on your own airplane, EVER. You have to have a FAA certified mechanic do all the work, then get the work certified. You can get a used cessna 152 for around 20k. Not sure on storage costs. But you have to pay for all the mechanical work to be done.
A pilot is allowed to do some preventative maint. (change oil, clean and gap spark plugs, change tires, ect...), it's all spelled out in the regs.
A privately owned airplane that is not used for hire, only needs an annual inspection. Once a year the airplane must be looked at by a licensed mechanic (A&P) and signed off by a IA. They can run anywhere from 1,000 to what ever you need to spend to keep the airplane airworthy. The big shops are going to fleece you. Find a smaller shop with a good reputation, all you have to do is ask around the airport. Dont skimp on maint. it's the best insurance policy you can have.

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 12:21 PM
You shouldn't even have a drop of alcohol 40 hours before you fly. You are using spacial senses you didn't know you even had when you fly. Don't ever fly when you are not 100%
I was joking

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 12:22 PM
What about renting a plane? How much does that run?
DMB

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Ok, I am leaving the rest of the questions to Sleek and PTL. I just have 40 hours and I know PTL has thousands, maybe Sleek does too, especially if he has a multi cert.
Lots of knowledge in here......

PICKLEtheLOAD
05-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey Justin: Did you "skip" the ground portion of flight school or what? :p Sleek: you musta been an honor student :)

78Eliminator
05-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by PICKLEtheLOAD
Hey Justin: Did you "skip" the ground portion of flight school or what? :p Sleek: you musta been an honor student :)
For real. There was no ground school. I started in the 152 from day one and just read the books at home. Instructor harldy said a word to me....

Sleek-Jet
05-12-2004, 12:27 PM
A good rule of thumb if you own your own airplane is 4 times the cost of fuel an hour will cover most of your costs.
An example. A Cessna 172 burns about 8 gallons of 100LL an hour, figure around 3.00 a gallon at todays prices, so that's 24.00 an hour for fuel. Four times that and you're looking at just shy of 100.00 an hour to own and operate the airplane. This usually gives you enough allowense for scheduled and unscheduled maint, engine overhaul, storage, and inurance.
If you're really seriouse about flying, and want to have your own airplane, go buy a 172 or Piper cherokee and rent the instructor. Several people I've known have done it that way and it's worked out for them. You can control the maint, and how the airplane is operated, a definate bonus.

dimarcobros
05-12-2004, 12:30 PM
but you can rent them right? I am not sure if rent is the proper term.:confused:
DMB

Sleek-Jet
05-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by PICKLEtheLOAD
I didn't have a choice of being a mediocre student, my dad was my primary instructor. :D That was an experience.

Havasu Cig
05-12-2004, 12:32 PM
I received my Private Helicopter rating in 1989 and my Commercial in 91. I also have time in fixed wings, and have done a couple solo flights to Havasu from San Diego when I was working on my fixed wing rating.
I would highly reccomend going for an intro flight and see if you like it. Like others have said, go with a reputable school.
My buddy that I started flying with is a pilot for American Airlines now, but he worked as a CFI when he was building hours and looking for a job. He had fairly low hours when he started as a CFI. I think I would have wanted someone with a little more time personally.
BTW: Unless you are flying something with a fairly fast cruising speed, probably a twin, 45 minutes to Havasu from Pasadena is going to be hard to do.

Sleek-Jet
05-12-2004, 12:33 PM
but you can rent them right? I am not sure if rent is the proper term.:confused:
DMB
Yes, you can rent them. You can figure anywhere between 70.00 to 130.00 an hour for a basic 4 seater, like a 172 or Cherokee. Instructors would be extra on top of that.
You can also join a club, where you pay a set fee to get in, then get the use of the club airplanes. Usually a little cheaper an hour, and most clubs have CFI's also.

RiverToysJas
05-12-2004, 06:29 PM
I have about 55hours total time. I was pretty close to finishing back in '92, but I had to stop when I bought my first house. I'd love to go back to it someday, but not for a long time. At the prices you guys are quoting now, it might be long than I thought. ;) (I used to rent a 152 for around 35-40/hour and a 172 for less than 50 if I remember right).
Until then I have great memories of some nice solo flights. I used to leave Long Beach airport on 25L, fly to the LA river, then the beach, and fly south along the beach at 1000 feet. I'd pop the window open and put my elbow out as I cruised along. It was great fun. Someday maybe I'll build a little bi-plane and finish my ppl.
Good Times!
RTJas :D

Mandelon
05-12-2004, 06:40 PM
One of my friends belongs to one of those fractional interest clubs. He pays a monthly fee, plus the buy in for the plane, as well as hourly costs for use. He says its a good deal.
He goes to Borrego and Catalina sometimes even Mammoth for quick trips. I just hate reading about those little planes hitting a hillside and killing everyone on board................:( seems to happen pretty regularly.

Boozer
05-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Interesting. One of my good friends growing up had this next door neighbor that got a bug up his ass to take flying lessons and buy a plane. He bought a mooney <sp>
Anyhow, sometimes after school or on various weekends Me, my friend, his father, and the neighbor would take the plane out and fly out of Chino and go for as they called them Booze cruises. The neighbor and my friends dad would get shit faced while flying around usually kill a big bottle of jack and a case of beer. He taught my friends dad how to to fly so they would always solve who landed the plane easily. If you got the last beer the other guy landed the plane.
Scary stuff now that I think of it.

SoCalOffshore
05-12-2004, 07:02 PM
I have my "Single Engine Land" private pilots license. Flying is great, but very expensive and I have had a number of close calls. I don't fly that much now, but it was one of my most rewarding experiences of my life getting my ticket. You really need the time to devote to training and flying. It is much harder when your doing it on the side vs. full time flying and/or doing it for a living. In fact, my call sign for the plane I got my license in was "Cherokee 4, 3, 0, 5, 6." Amazing the things you remember. :D

Havasu Cig
05-12-2004, 07:26 PM
My first solo in a Helicopter was in 1-0-8-8-Y. I still see it parked on Pad 7 in Carlsbad once in a while. I wonder how many others have used it for the first solo as well.
You are right, I will remember those #'s for the rest of my life.;)

SoCalOffshore
05-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
My first solo in a Helicopter was in 1-0-8-8-Y. I still see it parked on Pad 7 in Carlsbad once in a while. I wonder how many others have used it for the first solo as well.
You are right, I will remember those #'s for the rest of my life.;)
Indeed. My favorite plane to fly was a Mooney 201. It would cruise at 168 knotts and only burn 10 gallons an hour. It was like the corvettes of planes, slick and fast. :D

Cheap Thrills
05-12-2004, 08:19 PM
never had to use it but nice to know it's there .
http://brsparachutes.com/
C.T. :wink:

Speedin' Ian
05-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Man I was just at work thinking how cool it would be to be a pilot, come home, and look what I find on the boards. Can't you go to a full time school to become a commercial pilot or something?

SoCalOffshore
05-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Yes. Embry Riddle is in Daytona Beach Florida and Arizona. I almost went to the one in Florida, but joined the Army instead. :confused: :D

RiverToysJas
05-12-2004, 09:55 PM
The Father of an old friend of mine had one of these....
http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/images/Long-EZ-2.jpg
I always wanted to go for a ride, but was never able to hook it up. Sadly, he cart-wheeled it into Long Beach harbor at about 200mph. That was Father's day about 12 years ago I'd guess. He was a great guy and that plane was just awesome. :(
RTJas

Cheap Thrills
05-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
The Father of an old friend of mine had one of these....
http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/images/Long-EZ-2.jpg
I always wanted to go for a ride, but was never able to hook it up. Sadly, he cart-wheeled it into Long Beach harbor at about 200mph. That was Father's day about 12 years ago I'd guess. He was a great guy and that plane was just awesome. :(
RTJas
Looks like a Long EZ but there are so many copys and variations of the canard wing exp. cat. it's hard to tell . the same kind John Denver did his Exit with .

RiverToysJas
05-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
Looks like a Long EZ but there are so many copys and variations of the canard wing exp. cat. it's hard to tell . the same kind John Denver did his Exit with .
You are correct! Rutan Long-EZ.
RTJas :D