PDA

View Full Version : Magneto Distributers

Tom Foolery
05-12-2004, 01:07 PM
I recently picked up a new boat. The engine is a 454 Twin Turbo with a single carb. The ignition system has a Mallroy Magneto in it & I was wondering what the advantage of this type of system is?
I was considering putting an MSD system in it with controls to adjust timing based on the boost pressure or nitrous use, but I'm reluctant to make changes until I understand the currently installed ignition system better and how it is set up.

lucky
05-12-2004, 01:58 PM
mallory makes a great product - I have never had any problems with the two i have ran - Mallory mag 2 in the natural aspiratd tunnel rammed jet - going on 13 years no problems - to my mallory mag 4 in my v drive cruiser -- has soooo many advantages over msd ( I don't like msd, so i'm biased ) long slow spark - very important to not over gap your plugs - 20- 22 thousands - and also better to run the big cap - if you can - If your battery takes a crap some where on the river - get a buddy to jump for start and it will run with or with out an alternator - , less wire's to deal with - clean - I have mine set at a perment 32 deg. advance - and never have had a cranking problem - 2-3 revolutions at the most - before fire My valves are maitained regularly . the draw backs are tachs cost more - I also run a merc kill switch allways on my ankle .. they service there products in a timley mannor - and you can rev the crap out of them ... Msd has to have 12.6 volts to run right - I have found there rev limiters are 200 to 300 rpm short Its not shinney - and if you have no power your stuck - stick with the magnito

Tom Foolery
05-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Nice Looking boat Lucky. I have a Howard 21 V-drive too.
So Magnetos have a flat advance curve? Just set at one degree? Can you adjust what advance you are set at by rotating the dist like a regular one or is it internally set?
Why would this be an advantage in a set up like mine? (twin turbo, nitrous) It seams like running a higher advance at lower boost and then having the ability to lower the advance at higer boost or when on the bottle would be more adventageous to getting the best performance at all RPM ranges than just one setting.
Sorry about all of the ???? but I have a lot to learn about my new set up.

lucky
05-12-2004, 03:13 PM
there is a band around the mag body itself , you can loosen and set - should have a little needle with degree marks ( mag two does ) mag 4-- i have was not set up that way . I have the mag two---- degree'd for my convience - you can also advance just like a distrubuter ( loosen base and turn ) The spark is long and slow But hot - so i do believe you get a consistant burn cycle ( It overlaps fuel charge ) It does so to substain the added cylinder presures and additional fuel in the compustion chamber so advance is not needed - I hope I'm explaining this like i think i am -- lol duhhhhh with the plug clearence - it will fire just about anything -- good enough for a top fuel boat - should be good enough for you :eek: lmao -- keep it and enjoy that beautiful boat ....

lucky
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM
In a turbo set up you will find with out the proper ignition your spark will actually "blow out " (cylinder presure / lotttttsaaa fuel - ) You will really want to limit the amount of advance you have - detonation will eat that mottta ... Set your total no More THAN 34 degree's I would start at 30 and see what it like's mine is at 32 degree's - there are alot of people on this board to guide you ... I'm NOT a PROFESIONAL But have been around the block --- TO answer all your questions call mallory mags in carson city n.v I hope i shed some light on it for you -- I would check your boat out if it's running well and take note of the specs and write them down - so if you change things you will have a guide line to revert back to. :D

Tom Foolery
05-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks lucky. The boat runs fine as it is and the motor was built by a reputable shop. I guess its the engineer in me, but I have to understand the theroy behind things or it bugs me to death, however I will not touch a thing until I understand what I'm doing.
I'm a little suprised that with boost you would still want that much advance. Its not too much less that what I run in my naturally asperated Jet (468 BBC).
Wouldn't the timing set so high at idle cause problems? I thought that a regular engine it didn't idle for shit with that much advance & there was detonation problems.
I'll try mallory & see what they have I can learn from them.

XClutchboy725
05-12-2004, 04:04 PM
The problem isn't idle quality, it's starting the motor! With all that advance fighting the starter motor, you need a pretty stout starter.

comin' unscrewed
05-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by XClutchboy725
With all that advance fighting the starter motor, you need a pretty stout starter.
Or a kill switch. Spin it up and then turn the mag on.

Moneypitt
05-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Its true that alot of advance will try to fire back at the starter. However, a decent starter and a stout battery is all you'll need. It also helps to have the brush end brace that the GM starters came with. A good working, simple Mag,(pulse generator) is hard to beat in any performance application. The later day units that require a seperate coil/transformer also work well, but nothing beats the simplicity of the old Vertex..........Moneypitt

XClutchboy725
05-13-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by comin' unscrewed
Or a kill switch. Spin it up and then turn the mag on.
Yup!.....That's how we start them big fuel motors! :D :D :D

lucky
05-13-2004, 09:01 AM
He has turbos - he don't need anything - as It starts just like a low compression - naturaly asperated engine - till they spool up !!! Total advance is Just that Total advance - set you boat to run optimum total advance - for your set up ... any decent engine ought to have at least a truck starter in it - and a good battery , ground , and cables .. no problems

Tom Foolery
05-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the info guys. I'll find out more this weekend as I have some time to go through it all. I was able to find installation instructions for Mag dis. from Mallory so that has helped a little, but it will be nice when I get the actual part infront of me. I'm putting optimas in the boat & I'm not sure what starter is in it yet. Probably stock but we'll see.