PDA

View Full Version : Did he pay too much $$$ ?

Just Tool'n
05-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Went with a co-worker today to pick up his boat from getting service.
Work that was done as follows:
Oil Change in the engine = oil & filter
Oil changed in Bravo1 outdrive= oil drained & refilled?
Greased all zerk fittgings, & checked alignment of drive shaft.
Changed seawater impellar, due to overheating & impeller was worn to nothing.
Drive trim indicator not working, put new part in drive.
Total priced paid = $705
Did he pay too much?
Or is this what the going rate is?
Labor alone was $468
I felt bad for the guy!

LAVEYSABRE575
05-12-2004, 02:11 PM
sounds like he got his oil changed (OUCH)

nodigg
05-12-2004, 02:14 PM
:eek!: Not unless he thinks so...I guess..........
OUCH!

Lightning
05-12-2004, 02:20 PM
A good deal is a state of mind. . . . did he pay too much???
Could he have done the work himself? If so, did he have the time to?
Was it worthwhile for him to drop the boat off and pay someone to do the work so he could go to work and make more money at his profession instead of what he paid?
Changing oil and a filter is a basic 20 minute, 2 beer job.
The impeller and trim indicator stuff, I don't know about.

Screaming Pete
05-12-2004, 02:22 PM
I paid about that much for all those things plus a water pump on a hp 500 and thought it was fair

rivercrazy
05-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Sounds like a fair price if the impeller was wasted and required replacement

boatnam2
05-12-2004, 02:28 PM
if it was taken to any of the local marine shops that prices sounds right.for a oil change and drive service it usally about 400 bucks or so.i use ricks marine in parker 100 bucks.

dicudmore
05-12-2004, 02:29 PM
About average from what I've heard.
Could definitely save money by doing oil and filter change, and drive service yourself. Most of us though (read ALL) do not have the tools to check drive alignment. The drive is pulled to do that, not a major major job but thats prob a lot of your friends bill, and very important to check and also lube the fittings for the u-joints that are accessible while the drive is off. Impeller not too bad a job, but how far apart did they have to take the boat apart to get there? Nordic etc seats have to come out. Other boats its right there, can be done in minutes...
For the record a buddy just paid $600 for 100 hr service in Henderson that included impeller change etc

Screaming Pete
05-12-2004, 02:32 PM
and about every second or third impeller change you need to change the houseing also +100$

THOR
05-12-2004, 02:32 PM
That sounds like a apring service to me. Usually they pull off the drive to lube it and re-align it. All that stuff takes time, and time is money.
That isnt too bad honestly.

OutCole'd
05-12-2004, 02:34 PM
I think it sounds fair. I know to change the sensor's for the trim gauge, the drive has to come off. It is a pretty big job.

Just Tool'n
05-12-2004, 02:34 PM
At lunch we were talking, just trying to figure what we could of done it for. See that this used to be my old boat. He is now the 4th owner of the boat.
I have changed the oil, outdrive oil, & changed the impellar before. The trim indicator would have been a new challenge, but I am sure with my experiance figuring things out, not a problem.
Parts without the trim indicator could of been had for less than $100. Maybe 2-3 hours & a 6 pack to due the work. He just never asked for my opion or expertise.

summerlove
05-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Just Tool'n
Went with a co-worker today to pick up his boat from getting service.
Work that was done as follows:
Oil Change in the engine = oil & filter
Oil changed in Bravo1 outdrive= oil drained & refilled?
Greased all zerk fittgings, & checked alignment of drive shaft.
Changed seawater impellar, due to overheating & impeller was worn to nothing.
Drive trim indicator not working, put new part in drive.
Total priced paid = $705
Did he pay too much?
Or is this what the going rate is?
Labor alone was $468
I felt bad for the guy!
I just had similar service. It was about, from memory,,,
The impellar job was about $150 alone, and the LOF should be about 90 - 100, service, remove and realign the drive was about another $150-$200, the drive switch was about $100.
Did they also run the engine and tune it up? New plugs, etc???
It's close - if the guy is happy, then it's about right!

spectras only
05-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Note to yourselves with 496's . When the trim swith goes south ,the engine won't start [ computer related;) ].You unplug the switch harness and you'll be able to get home to sort the problem :cool: . Try to get this info from your merc mechanic:)

Just Tool'n
05-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by spectras only
Note to yourselves with 496's . When the trim swith goes south ,the engine won't start [ computer related;) ].You unplug the switch harness and you'll be able to get home to sort the problem :cool: . Try to get this info from your merc mechanic:)
This is good information for everyone with new 496's
Thanks Spectras only!

burtandnancy
05-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Looks good to me. some impeller changes can really be tough depending on brand of boat, access, etc. Don't forget, the mechanic had to find all the impeller blades and account for each of them...

dicudmore
05-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
Looks good to me. some impeller changes can really be tough depending on brand of boat, access, etc. Don't forget, the mechanic had to find all the impeller blades and account for each of them...
True statement. Prob in the oil cooler etc

Dave C
05-12-2004, 04:03 PM
ahhh.. do it yourself......;) save the $.
J/K... at any rate, that drive oil is expensive. 2 quarts of quicksilver HP oil is $70. dang.

Scream
05-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Ya know, too bad there's not a Jiffy Lube for boats...
$150.00 for an oil change. Hory Cow!!!
I might have to get mechanical:eek:
then come on here and post pictures of parts I left out:D :D

Ducatista
05-12-2004, 04:38 PM
It doesn't seem outa wack to me.......expensive yes....but sounds like it's in the ballpark compaired to servicing I have had done in the past in Havasu.

RiverPirate
05-12-2004, 09:08 PM
I paid $475 for that same service last year, less the trim indicator work. Rodesway in Glendora, Ca.

dc96819
05-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Just to replace the impeller is $350.and depends what was replaced in the drive trim,seals alone is $150 + labor

Jbb
05-13-2004, 12:54 AM
It sounds about right........ I guess.......for a spring service........Kinda makes me glad I own a jet.....:D

Sherpa
05-16-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm in the wrong business.... I could have done that work in
1/2 day....
--Sherpa
I don't think my city would like be doing boat repairs for $$ at
my house though........dang.

GlastronGuy
05-16-2004, 08:10 AM
If you can't or don't want to do it yourself, pay the piper. The fees seem reasonable in this day and age.

Dr. Eagle
05-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Price for the impeller kit (assuming they did the entire kit) is around $100. Another $100+ for labor, I'd bet that was about 250 of the total. Depending on what was wrong with the drive trim indicator, that was probably another $150-200. Service should be in the $300-400 range. Sounds like it was about par for what he had done...