PDA

View Full Version : dual external wpm help

nodigg
05-12-2004, 02:45 PM
So I have been very happy with my dual hydraulic external steering since installed apx 4 years ago. Hands free at 85 no problemo, er, I mean 35mph!
BUT! the steering sucks at slow speeds. You better be right on cause you CANNOT turn the wheel fast to correct in the channel or when loading the boat on the trailer.
So, I called to get some all hydraulic steering installed and was told that I could solve the problem for cheeeep by simply drilling out the high pressure side of my steering pump with a 7/32 bit.
Any comments? Anyone?
Doghouse, you out there?

HP350SC
05-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Interesting topic, I recently went with WPM dual ram and also have minimal assist at idle. Was it WPM that told you to drill the output of the pump or someone else? Sounds reasonable to increase the volume of fluid to the valve.

full throttle
05-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Do it! I have Imco dual ram add-on on my Baja, and had the same problem. Drilled it, and it helped. Good luck.

HP350SC
05-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Where exactly do you drill?

DogHouse
05-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by nodigg
So I have been very happy with my dual hydraulic external steering since installed apx 4 years ago. Hands free at 85 no problemo, er, I mean 35mph!
BUT! the steering sucks at slow speeds. You better be right on cause you CANNOT turn the wheel fast to correct in the channel or when loading the boat on the trailer.
So, I called to get some all hydraulic steering installed and was told that I could solve the problem for cheeeep by simply drilling out the high pressure side of my steering pump with a 7/32 bit.
Any comments? Anyone?
Doghouse, you out there?
Uh, me? :D
Not sure how much help I can be. I have a mini-pump on my rig, same one they use on speedway cars. To change the amount of assist in my pump, I just put a different fitting on the output side. Same concept, just changing the size of the orifice. On the Merc/GM pumps, if you take the pressure side hose off, I think you can remove the fitting from the back of the pump, so that's probably what they're suggesting that you drill out. There are some springs and stuff in there, so be careful and hold onto things as you take it apart.
Good luck!
85, yeeeeaaaaaahhhh... :D

nodigg
05-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Interesting topic, I recently went with WPM dual ram and also have minimal assist at idle. Was it WPM that told you to drill the output of the pump or someone else? Sounds reasonable to increase the volume of fluid to the valve.
Pro Marine told me about it. Called some others but have not heard back yet.

nodigg
05-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by full throttle
Do it! I have Imco dual ram add-on on my Baja, and had the same problem. Drilled it, and it helped. Good luck.
When you say it "helped", how much? Not like power steering I take?

nodigg
05-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
Uh, me? :D
Not sure how much help I can be. I have a mini-pump on my rig, same one they use on speedway cars. To change the amount of assist in my pump, I just put a different fitting on the output side. Same concept, just changing the size of the orifice. On the Merc/GM pumps, if you take the pressure side hose off, I think you can remove the fitting from the back of the pump, so that's probably what they're suggesting that you drill out. There are some springs and stuff in there, so be careful and hold onto things as you take it apart.
Good luck!
85, yeeeeaaaaaahhhh... :D
I SAID 35!!!!!!!:D :D
Hey Doggie how ya doin? I'll be on the water Memorial day weekend with my daughters college group, June 5 for Op6c and June 12 for the First REAL Cheetah regatta. Let me know if you are out any of those weekends. Let's hook up. I'll be in the all white pontoon boat doin 35mph all the way to the sandbar!
Thanks for the input. I think he was talking about drilling just the fitting also. Thanks for the warning about the springs!

DogHouse
05-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Howdy Rick! I'll be out tomorrow night later, find a spot to crash for the night, then hit Chico's Tacos in the early am Sat, then over to Bob's to help my bud Greg order up his new Cheeter. We'll be on the water in my boat by noon or 1ish on Sat.
Mem Day we're headed up to Mohave, up north of Cottonwood. Why don't you bring that bunch of college girls up for a visit! ;)
Not sure when the next Havasu trip will be after this. I suppose it depends on how the hardware survives these next couple of trips! OP6 would be fun but I'm not sure if I'll be ready to turn around and head to the river again after the 4 day Mem Day weekend.
:cool:

nodigg
05-14-2004, 05:25 AM
Sounds like we will have to wait till later in the summer then to kick back a few together. Till then, best of luck with the hardware.

full throttle
05-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Drain the p/s pump, drill the orfice on the back of the p/s pump (pressure line) I also used the next size up bit(15/64ths), then pour some atf thru it to flush any burrs, reassemble, fill and bleed the air. This helped quite a bit at low eng. rpms. Used to be that I could hardly steer @ an idle. Now no problem. Good luck.

HP350SC
05-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the information, I believe I'll do it right now!

HP350SC
05-16-2004, 02:26 PM
All done, worked great. I was able to swing pump out enough after draining to remove the pressure line and fitting. Drilled the fitting on the bench. Original hole was about 1/8". The next size up from 7/32nds did not slide into pressure hose so I went with 7/32. Won't know how much it helped for another week, but glad to find this thread! Thanks to all who responded.:D

nodigg
05-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by full throttle
Drain the p/s pump, drill the orfice on the back of the p/s pump (pressure line) I also used the next size up bit(15/64ths), then pour some atf thru it to flush any burrs, reassemble, fill and bleed the air. This helped quite a bit at low eng. rpms. Used to be that I could hardly steer @ an idle. Now no problem. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback! I am gonna' try it this week one evening after work. :)

DogHouse
05-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Hey Rick, I was talkin to Cheetah Bob this weekend and he tells me that some yahoo has a white 24 deck thar runs 90mph on a good day. Can't even imagine who that could be! :D

nodigg
05-17-2004, 05:43 PM
IT"S A LIE! NO F****ING WAY COULD THAT BE TRUE!
(I'd ask for a GPS reading before believing that) No way in a 24' motor home with double biminis and no go fast gel coat. NO WAY!
ESPECIALLY not with freakin golfcart batteries and 15 speakers. Somebody is talking some trash!
;)

DogHouse
05-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Ok, if you say so... :D

nodigg
05-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Hey Doghouse. How do I get my 35 mph Cheetah to do 90mph? Or rather, would it really be worth the time and expense do you think? I mean, all that effort for a Cheetah? Can it really be worth it?:rolleyes
: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

DogHouse
05-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Hahahaha, yer killin me here!
:D

XTRM22
05-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey DogHouse, it seems fitting here on Gear heads to tell you how good your Magic was looking and sounding this weeknd, particularly after all crap I've flipped ya! Thanks for being the anchor boat in SteamBoat Saturday afternoon to!
Chuck

DogHouse
05-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by XTRM22
Hey DogHouse, it seems fitting here on Gear heads to tell you how good your Magic was looking and sounding this weeknd, particularly after all crap I've flipped ya!
Who are you and what have you done with my friend Chuck? :p
Thanks for being the anchor boat in SteamBoat Saturday afternoon to!
Chuck
Well, ya know, everybody has to be good at something!
:D