PDA

View Full Version : Depth gauge work ok at speed in a cat?

Robbie Racer
03-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Does your depth gauge work okay at cruising to high speeds in your cats? I have a Gaffrig depth gauge and it seems to work okay at an idle but once I get on plane it quits working completely and goes totally blank on me. The sensor is mounted under the bow somewhere. My rigger says that this is normal because at speed the rapidly changing topography of the bottom of the lakes confuses the gauge. What do you guys think? Thanks, R/R

SCOOTE69
03-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Mine works up to about 25mph then goes blank.

Craig
03-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Mine works OK on cruises up to about 50 mph in smooth water. After that forget it. The directions that come with the gauge even said that air bubbles will throw off the reading. Go figure, cats start packing air and bye bye depth finder. My transducer is mounted in the front of the center pod.
Craig

spectras only
03-09-2003, 10:08 AM
I've been using the Lowrance 3500 series depth gauge that works at any speed with the transducer in the bilge.Inside mounted transducers work in boats with solid layup boats at high speeds only.You may have to relocate your transducer at the back of the transom where it would be in contact with water all the time.Do cats ever touch water at their bow wink :p
[ March 09, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

jungle cruise
03-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Craig:
Mine works OK on cruises up to about 50 mph in smooth water. After that forget it. The directions that come with the gauge even said that air bubbles will throw off the reading. Go figure, cats start packing air and bye bye depth finder. My transducer is mounted in the front of the center pod.
Craig :D
HE SAID "POD"
WHATS UP CANDY ASS!!!
(sorry about the thread highjack...) eek!

Robbie Racer
03-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. It sounds as though this is a common problem as opposed to just a glitch with my depth gauge or transducer. That makes sense about the transducer not working as soon as the bow loses contact with the water. Now the decision is: Should I move the transducter to the rear of the boat where it will be in an area in constant contact with the water (and probably give constant readings) but would give a "delayed" reading as to what depth the bow of the boat is seeing???? Any thoughts? R/R

Craig
03-10-2003, 12:18 PM
ahhh, screw it :D Look at it this way, if your buzzing along at 60 and all of the sudden the depth starts decreasing rapidly, by the time you react and pull back, your make rock puree with the ol' prop wink I use mine for ideling and checking anchoring depth. After that I don't worry about it.

Robbie Racer
03-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Yup, good point. eek! R/R

midmagic
03-12-2003, 11:59 PM
Negative, Robbie Racer. It just won't happen. Listen to ol' Craig. He knows from experience. eek!