PDA

View Full Version : Need HP 500 blower upgrade advise

SVO 540
12-06-2001, 08:29 PM
Some of us who hang out in the Cats and Tunnels Forum need some advise on how to get a HP500 powered Eliminator 25 Daytona to 100 mph. Please help us with your advise on supercharging a non-EFI HP500.
The post topic is "Riverliver needs 100mph"

DEL51
12-07-2001, 12:12 AM
If you want to increase the power of the hp 500,depending on static compression ratio,I would recommend a high quality 871-1071 blower.I like littlefield or Kuhl.If you can get an intercooler from PFM,it would add at least 75 hp.2(800-850-cfm) holley carbs and an msd Ignition.Blower cam would aid Idling.Quality exhaust system is a must to achieve maximum torque.I have heard alot about lightning headers.How old is the engine?If you go with a larger blower you can use it for a future upgrade to a larger cubic inch engine.Can this drive handle the power? Maybe this should be addressed before you upgrade the power.Read the previous posts about carbs and boost.I am assuming the compression ratio is not more than 9:1 on the hp 500.Is this motor going to be rebuilt?You will receive more suggestions,so a little more info on whether you intend to just bolt this stuff on and go or rebuild the engine.If the latter,I can give you some good tips on parts choice.For example,If you do rebuild the engine,installation of low compression blower pistons would help you run more boost than stock pistons.More boost = more torque,to a point, then other factors come into play.There are some people on this forum with more expertise than I, but I have 2 supercharged engines that I have learned much from.Good Luck! DEL51

SVO 540
12-07-2001, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by DEL51:
If you want to increase the power of the hp 500,depending on static compression ratio,I would recommend a high quality 871-1071 blower.I like littlefield or Kuhl.If you can get an intercooler from PFM,it would add at least 75 hp.2(800-850-cfm) holley carbs and an msd Ignition.Blower cam would aid Idling.Quality exhaust system is a must to achieve maximum torque.I have heard alot about lightning headers.How old is the engine?If you go with a larger blower you can use it for a future upgrade to a larger cubic inch engine.Can this drive handle the power? Maybe this should be addressed before you upgrade the power.Read the previous posts about carbs and boost.I am assuming the compression ratio is not more than 9:1 on the hp 500.Is this motor going to be rebuilt?You will receive more suggestions,so a little more info on whether you intend to just bolt this stuff on and go or rebuild the engine.If the latter,I can give you some good tips on parts choice.For example,If you do rebuild the engine,installation of low compression blower pistons would help you run more boost than stock pistons.More boost = more torque,to a point, then other factors come into play.There are some people on this forum with more expertise than I, but I have 2 supercharged engines that I have learned much from.Good Luck! DEL51
DEL 51, thanks for your suggestions and questions. We got a string going in the Cats and Tunnels section. The topic is "Riverliver needs 100mph" I am going to try to cut and paste your reply over there and answer your questions. Hope it works.

Whipple Charged
01-10-2002, 09:33 PM
One of our good dealers, Gary Teague has done quite a few of these using our bolt on kit. Usually sees 101-103. You can call and talk with him, 909.982.8391. I would not put a roots on the boat without rebuilding it, it will be hard to make the horsepower needed for 100 reliably on the stock engine. It needs a more efficient supercharger to do it.
Thanks,
Dustin