PDA

View Full Version : Burt's at Lake Mead

burtandnancy
05-13-2004, 07:18 PM
This is Nancy, I sent Burt to Lake Mead today (Thursday, May 13) to check out the lake before Memorial Day and get our boat ready.
He charted a Cessna 172 for Friday morning, bought a digital camera and will be taking pictures of St. Thomas, Overton, Echo,Long Beach, Hallett Cove, Mid Point, Sandy Cove, Cauville, Lake Mead Marina, and Heminway.
As he is terrified of flying (I am really surprized he is doing this), he's not sure he'll make it to Temple Bar and Big Sandy or not.
His next problem will be in posting the pictures, since he is computer challanged, don't hold your breath.
If he gets help he'll get them posted Sunday afternoon or hopefully by Monday.
He already reported back that there is a lot of launch ramp work being done around the lake. (Good time with it being so low).
And the lake is SEVERELY SMOOTH.
Will keep you posted.

welk2party
05-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I know last year, I could hardly get my boat off the trailer at most launch ramps.

Havasu Hangin'
05-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Tell Burt to e-mail the pics to me (after he gets his sea-legs)...and I'll get them up.

ACCEPTENCE
05-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi Nancy,
Please ask Burt to snap a pic or two of the islands just off Hemmingway.
I 'm thinkin between bolder beach and the islands, closer to the islands.
I want to see if the clarifying tank has surfaced yet.
It was 62 feet below the surface last time I was diving up there.
As I hear it the lake is pretty low and it should be showing up allready or very soon.
I can't wait to see all the pics he shots!!!
Thanks, Greg

BADAXE
05-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Can't wait to see the pictures. Can you call him and tell him to fly me home some pancakes from The Coffee Cup. Thanks:D

burtandnancy
05-16-2004, 08:29 AM
I'm back!. The Scrapbook Queen took the camera to the process store and I'll have pictures and a disc later. Don't know what they will look like, flew 3500' over the entire lake. amazing, lots of new islands where you won't expect them. Lots of new beaches, but don't know the sand/mud/rock quality. Some of the marinas are definetly moved out. It appears from the air, and from talking to a lot of people, the best launching at this time is at Temple Bar. They had just launched a 74 footer with no problem. I'll get back after pictures get here...

Dr. Eagle
05-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Now that's a boating family... chartering a plane for aireal surveys... wow... I'm very impressed with the dedication!:D :cool: :D

spectras only
05-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Now that's a boating family... chartering a plane for aireal surveys... wow... I'm very impressed with the dedication!:D :cool: :D I'll be leaving for vancouver island in my bud's 33 Donzi at 11 this morning .I'll post pics of beatiful b.c waters just for you guys;) :D .

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Now that's a boating family... chartering a plane for aireal surveys... wow... I'm very impressed with the dedication!:D :cool: :D
Yeah, how can we possible keep up with the
"Burt N Nancy's" of the boating world....:D

rude235
05-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
This is Nancy, I sent Burt to Lake Mead today (Thursday, May 13) to check out the lake before Memorial Day and get our boat ready.
He charted a Cessna 172 for Friday morning, bought a digital camera and will be taking pictures of St. Thomas, Overton, Echo,Long Beach, Hallett Cove, Mid Point, Sandy Cove, Cauville, Lake Mead Marina, and Heminway.
As he is terrified of flying (I am really surprized he is doing this), he's not sure he'll make it to Temple Bar and Big Sandy or not.
His next problem will be in posting the pictures, since he is computer challanged, don't hold your breath.
If he gets help he'll get them posted Sunday afternoon or hopefully by Monday.
He already reported back that there is a lot of launch ramp work being done around the lake. (Good time with it being so low).
And the lake is SEVERELY SMOOTH.
Will keep you posted.
HOLY $H&T!!!! i think you two just took the "boater's of the year" award...........HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to see those pics.

Sherpa
05-16-2004, 02:31 PM
I thought I did alot of work in our "camping pre-run" efforts...
shesh, my pre-run pales in comparison to your family efforts...
--Sherpa

spectras only
05-16-2004, 11:35 PM
perfect day crossing to vancouver island today [ may 16] http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/donzi1.jpg

spectras only
05-16-2004, 11:38 PM
The boat is between the trees down below http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/donzi8.jpg

spectras only
05-16-2004, 11:39 PM
met some illegal aliens [ california sea lions] on the way back;) http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/donzi12.jpg

spectras only
05-16-2004, 11:43 PM
, a beatiful day in the great white north;) :D http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/donzi10.jpg

Laveyman
05-17-2004, 04:53 AM
What a beautiful part of the world! Too bad it's covered by white stuff ahlf the year. Looks like a great day on the water though!

spectras only
05-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Shhhh......s , Laveyman , there's no snow where I boat:D .Didn't see a single flake this past winter,hehe. Well, the rest of canada is a different scenario;)

Laveyman
05-17-2004, 09:43 AM
No snow in Canada, Ehh? What do ya think I am, eh? A stupid focker from Minnesota, eh? :D

spectras only
05-17-2004, 11:37 AM
My government giving you water ? You must be kidding;) .They rather have all the freshwater flow in the ocean than making a single dollar:D .There isn't much business sense around here with a bunch of bleeding heart politicos and tree huggers . There's a place on the coast called Ocean Falls where we could have a distribution port built, filling up freighters to take down south to fill your lakes and swimming pools.:cool: . Pipelines would be sabotaged by tree huggers and US haters for sure.:eek:

dicudmore
05-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Burt thanks for sharing those pics w/all of us
might see you out there memorial weekend

burtandnancy
05-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Well, as you can see from the posts named "aerials", we had a lot of trouble getting the pictures posted directly from the disc from the Kodak throw away camera. I took 27 pictures and about 20 of them would be of some interest. The pictures from the disc would not post, so with help, we scanned pictures in, but as you can see, some of the quality was lost.
Havasu Hangin' how can I get the disc to you, or get it to go e-mail? Does anyone care? Theres not a lot of excitement, but it sure gives a different perspective of the lake, marina's and shoreline. The shots of iceberg canyon are really depressing. I won't know too much about all those good looking beaches until I get there this week-end and again on Memorial Day. WOW, three week-ends in a row at Lake Mead, does it get any better than that?

twistedpair
05-20-2004, 04:31 PM
How about every weekend in a row?:D
Downside, living in this blast furnace all summer!

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:41 PM
ttt