PDA

View Full Version : Gale Banks turbo system for sale, sorry for the spam

superdave013
12-02-2002, 10:01 AM
BBC Gale Banks turbo system for sale. I also have the water jacketed exhaust elbows that are not shown.
E mail or PM me for details.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/banksturbo.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/banksturbo1.JPG

Unchained
12-03-2002, 04:38 AM
Your oil cooler looks just like the one I got off ebay that you refered me to. Is your's aluminum or steel. The one I got is a steel body and is pretty heavy. Do you always need to run some kind of thermostat so the oil won't run through the cooler until its heated up?
Mark

superdave013
12-03-2002, 05:13 AM
Mine must be steel also. It's pretty heavy too. I'll find out when I strip the paint off.
I didn't run a t stat on mine. But I didn't pump water through it. I force fed it with a pic up off the cav plate. My oil temp would stay right around 195-200.

schiada96
12-03-2002, 07:58 AM
Sd clean the paint off that thing and I'll powder coat it for you.

Schiada76
12-03-2002, 08:27 AM
superdave013:
Mine must be steel also. It's pretty heavy too. I'll find out when I strip the paint off.
I didn't run a t stat on mine. But I didn't pump water through it. I force fed it with a pic up off the cav plate. My oil temp would stay right around 195-200.That looks like the same cooler I have, if so it's bronze and they look great plated.

flat broke
12-03-2002, 08:56 AM
schiada96:
Sd clean the paint off that thing and I'll powder coat it for you.You have to be carefull when Powder coating oil coolers/heat exchangers. If there are portions of the cooler that are brazed which will be on the part that is coated, the heat from the oven could start to flow the brazing.
As far as plating, thats a no no Most of the bodies are made of aluminum or bronze and coating them with a plating would greatly diminish their ability to exchange heat through the body via contact with air. Yes the main cooling process is the water/oil heat exchanging going on inside the cooler, but I'm pretty sure you would see an increase in oil temp with your cooler if you plated it.
On to more important stuff. I've seen Dave's turbo parts first hand and can tell you that they are in great shape. The systems like these make for an excellent opportunity for someone to get into a turbocharged motor at a very reasonable price. If you haven't ridden, or driven a boat with turbos, its truly addicting. The best of both worlds as far as speed and useability.
Chris

schiada96
12-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Fb I do alot of powder coated brazed or soldierd parts here now. Most of the heat exchangers like that can be taken apart and painted in pieces. Or I could run the oven at 340 with the thing assembled. My friend Craig has one we chromed. My spelling sucks.

superV
12-03-2002, 09:13 AM
superdave013:
I didn't run a t stat on mine. But I didn't pump water through it. I force fed it with a pic up off the cav plate. My oil temp would stay right around 195-200.Just put a magnet to it and see if its steel! :rolleyes:

Schiada76
12-03-2002, 09:13 AM
flat broke:
schiada96:
Sd clean the paint off that thing and I'll powder coat it for you.You have to be carefull when Powder coating oil coolers/heat exchangers. If there are portions of the cooler that are brazed which will be on the part that is coated, the heat from the oven could start to flow the brazing.
As far as plating, thats a no no Most of the bodies are made of aluminum or bronze and coating them with a plating would greatly diminish their ability to exchange heat through the body via contact with air. Yes the main cooling process is the water/oil heat exchanging going on inside the cooler, but I'm pretty sure you would see an increase in oil temp with your cooler if you plated it.
On to more important stuff. I've seen Dave's turbo parts first hand and can tell you that they are in great shape. The systems like these make for an excellent opportunity for someone to get into a turbocharged motor at a very reasonable price. If you haven't ridden, or driven a boat with turbos, its truly addicting. The best of both worlds as far as speed and useability.
ChrisI had heard before about the plating reducing cooling capacity, but that cooler is huge and on a blown 500 BBC when I had it painted was keeping things way too cool. I haven't run it plated yet but I will probably have to get a thermostat to keep the temp up.

flat broke
12-03-2002, 02:50 PM
BradP:
I had heard before about the plating reducing cooling capacity, but that cooler is huge and on a blown 500 BBC when I had it painted was keeping things way too cool. I haven't run it plated yet but I will probably have to get a thermostat to keep the temp up.Brad,
Not to hijack Dave's thread here, but what I was basically trying to get accross was that if you had a cooler sized for your engine/HP level and you plated it you would probalby lose some efficiency in the cooler. If you've got a cooler thats too big for the motor to begin with then, there shouldn't be a problem. Sorry if I came off like it would render the cooler useless if you plated it.
Everyone else,
Buy Dave's Turbo setup!!!! you aren't going to beat it when it comes to bang for the buck.
Chris

superdave013
12-03-2002, 02:56 PM
flat broke:
Everyone else,
Buy Dave's Turbo setup!!!! you aren't going to beat it when it comes to bang for the buck.
ChrisYeah, what he said. I got move this to get some key parts to finsh my boat! :D

RiverDave2
12-03-2002, 03:30 PM
superV:
superdave013:
I didn't run a t stat on mine. But I didn't pump water through it. I force fed it with a pic up off the cav plate. My oil temp would stay right around 195-200.Just put a magnet to it and see if its steel! :rolleyes: Actually most stainless steels are non magnetic.
RD

Schiada76
12-03-2002, 04:07 PM
flat broke:
BradP:
I had heard before about the plating reducing cooling capacity, but that cooler is huge and on a blown 500 BBC when I had it painted was keeping things way too cool. I haven't run it plated yet but I will probably have to get a thermostat to keep the temp up.Brad,
Not to hijack Dave's thread here, but what I was basically trying to get accross was that if you had a cooler sized for your engine/HP level and you plated it you would probalby lose some efficiency in the cooler. If you've got a cooler thats too big for the motor to begin with then, there shouldn't be a problem. Sorry if I came off like it would render the cooler useless if you plated it.
Everyone else,
ChrisSorry if I gave the wrong impression just stated what I had experienced, most people on this board have waaayyyyyy more experience and knowledge than I do.
And yeah somebody buy Dave's setup quick so we can see his finished product! :D

superdave013
12-06-2002, 07:50 AM
Price reduced! 1,000 US dollars OBO. If you come over and pick it up so I don't have to mess with shipping it I will toss in the intake manafold also.
If you pay by paypal I will ship for free.

disco_charger
12-16-2002, 01:24 PM
I want this set up. I just bought a travel trailer and xmas combined to destroy my expendable cash. I'm not sure if the bottom end of my boat would hang together though. If it's there after Christmas, I might be interested. And since you are a MTB guy Dave, I might have an interesting trade...Cannondale Tandem Mountain Bike, with team colors, dual crown downhill fork, carbon bars and bar ends, and Maguras Paid $3000, would like to get $1500. Ridden about 3x's wife doesn't want me to sell it, but I might. Then of course, you might not want the damn thing. Just an idea.
Disco

superdave013
12-16-2002, 02:10 PM
disco_charger:
I want this set up. I just bought a travel trailer and xmas combined to destroy my expendable cash. I'm not sure if the bottom end of my boat would hang together though. If it's there after Christmas, I might be interested. And since you are a MTB guy Dave, I might have an interesting trade...Cannondale Tandem Mountain Bike, with team colors, dual crown downhill fork, carbon bars and bar ends, and Maguras Paid $3000, would like to get $1500. Ridden about 3x's wife doesn't want me to sell it, but I might. Then of course, you might not want the damn thing. Just an idea.
DiscoFriends don't let friends ride Crackandfails :D Really I need the cash.
A guy was going to come over and check it out. Huuuuuuu, he never showed soooooooooo I put it on e-bay.
bid early bid often (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26455&item=1874986475&rd=1) :D
But I know you were looking for a scoop. I have the one in the above pic for ya. :)

disco_charger
12-16-2002, 02:25 PM
How much for the scoop? As for the crackenfails, can you think of a more rigid frameset to build a tandem out of? wink Never had one until recently, I have to say I'm impressed with it. I used to only ride steel hardtails, but I tried this full suspension stuff, and I like it. I must be getting old. Do you think this set up is mild enough to bolt up to a reasonably stock 454? I was looking at headers and a cam for the winter project if I kept the boat.I'm curious about this kind of set up. Talk me into it Dave.
Disco

superdave013
12-16-2002, 02:55 PM
disco_charger:
How much for the scoop? As for the crackenfails, can you think of a more rigid frameset to build a tandem out of? wink Never had one until recently, I have to say I'm impressed with it. I used to only ride steel hardtails, but I tried this full suspension stuff, and I like it. I must be getting old. Do you think this set up is mild enough to bolt up to a reasonably stock 454? I was looking at headers and a cam for the winter project if I kept the boat.I'm curious about this kind of set up. Talk me into it Dave.
DiscoYes, if you have low compression it would be fine. This is not the supa dupa wammy turbo deal. Might want to step up to a better intercooler though.
I will PM details on the scoop.
As far as crackandfail hardtails go. I gave mine away. But their tandems and road bikes are pretty nice. I see guys going big on those lefty forks too. They seem to hold up. I have never known anyone with a full squish that didn't break the swing arm though.
Hey, Mike F has been bugging me to do another San Juan deal. ChallengerJet rides too. We gotta do it brah! Then you can make fun of the fat guy on the downhill bike during the climbs.
[ December 16, 2002, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

disco_charger
12-16-2002, 03:09 PM
Why would I make fun of myself on the climbs? The sad part is watching the old sponsered NORBA X-country racer on a 24 pound full disc squish bike, sucking wind on a light climb. Got to break out the road bike and find my lungs again. :rolleyes: I'm thinking hard about the turbo set up. The more I think about things, the less I want to sell my boat right now. I'm guesstimating that I'm at 8to1 on the motor right now, so I think it might hold together with the turbo set up. I was thinking about what the turbo, some head and bottom work and a cam would do for the award winning Disco Charger. It might be interesting to bounce some people on the river with a metal flake green boat... I like the lines of my boat, so it might be worth keeping for a while.
Disco

superdave013
12-16-2002, 03:18 PM
disco_charger:
Why would I make fun of myself on the climbs? The sad part is watching the old sponsered NORBA X-country racer on a 24 pound full disc squish bike, sucking wind on a light climb. Got to break out the road bike and find my lungs again. :rolleyes: I'm thinking hard about the turbo set up. The more I think about things, the less I want to sell my boat right now. I'm guesstimating that I'm at 8to1 on the motor right now, so I think it might hold together with the turbo set up. I was thinking about what the turbo, some head and bottom work and a cam would do for the award winning Disco Charger. It might be interesting to bounce some people on the river with a metal flake green boat... I like the lines of my boat, so it might be worth keeping for a while.
DiscoI don't think I can kill the auction after the first bid with e bays new rules. So if you want it I've got a 1,000 reserve on it. Better tell me soon.

superdave013
12-16-2002, 03:29 PM
To late, it's got a hit!

disco_charger
12-16-2002, 03:49 PM
Well, damnit I bid. It's cheaper than new headers and will make better power.
Disco

superdave013
12-16-2002, 03:53 PM
disco_charger:
Well, damnit I bid. It's cheaper than new headers and will make better power.
DiscoYou should have had me kill the auction.

disco_charger
12-16-2002, 03:59 PM
Couldn't make up my feeble mind in time...

Miss Flat Broke
12-16-2002, 07:08 PM
Gents,
You can cancel your auction at any time prior to the close so long as there wasn't a buy it now offer that was fulfilled. Dave will have to pay whatever the auction fees were, but you can close the auction. I see it's currently at $810 with Disco in the driver's seat. :D
Chris

flat broke
12-16-2002, 07:09 PM
Doh,
Gotta quit using Ems PC.
Chris

disco_charger
12-16-2002, 08:24 PM
So Dave, what're you doing with the 850 that was all set up perfect for these turbos?

superdave013
12-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Miss Flat Broke:
Gents,
You can cancel your auction at any time prior to the close so long as there wasn't a buy it now offer that was fulfilled. Dave will have to pay whatever the auction fees were, but you can close the auction. I see it's currently at $810 with Disco in the driver's seat. :D
ChrisChris, I thought they changed that. But if not then I would be glad to cancle it. Even if it goes over the reserve I'll still pull the plug on it for ol' disco. All you have to do is show up with 1,000 smaks and you have it. And show me how to stop the auction of course.
Disco I responded to your carb question in the other thread.
Bottom line is I need that cash to buy some other shit. You guys know how that is right?

superdave013
12-16-2002, 10:25 PM
Ok Ok, I just figured it out. So the balls in your court disco. Want it now for oneK or wait and watch someone bid it up to 1,200 or more. :D
Bid early, bid often :D :cool: :rolleyes: :p

obnoxious001
12-16-2002, 10:47 PM
I bid $811.50

superdave013
12-16-2002, 10:57 PM
obnoxious001:
I bid $811.50POT STIRER :p

Squeezing Spectra
12-16-2002, 11:02 PM
Stirring the pot a little farther sorry just couldnt help myself, figures if it was that cheep i would kick my blower to the curb LOL.
Bruce
[ December 16, 2002, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Squeezing Spectra ]

superdave013
12-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Squeezing Spectra:
Stirring the pot a little farther sorry just couldnt help myself, figures if it was that cheep i would kick my blower to the curb LOL.
BruceAh ya, you didn't quite run him up enough. This is getting to be some fun stuff.

superdave013
12-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Squeezing Spectra:
BruceYes, It's way cheeper then a blower set up. But please don't bid on it if you don't want it. You might end up being the winner and I'll hold ya to getting it then.

Beavertim
01-19-2003, 09:56 PM
Dave,
I was curious what level of boost you ran on the Banks system (also at what CR). I'm thinking of upgrading my intercooler and upping boost from the current 8 psi. Tim
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/tn_boat0011.JPG

ROZ
01-20-2003, 01:19 AM
RD?

superdave013
01-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Beavertim:
Dave,
I was curious what level of boost you ran on the Banks system (also at what CR). I'm thinking of upgrading my intercooler and upping boost from the current 8 psi. Tim
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/tn_boat0011.JPG Mine ran @ 12 psi. The engine was in the boat when I got it. So I didn't know the compression ratio.