PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this might cost to fix?

dmontzsta
05-13-2004, 09:10 PM
It has been on the boat since we bought it, I think the guy left it tied to the dock or something, but is painful to look at now and I need to get around to fixing it after 6 years of ownership...I just dont have an idea on how much money I would need...anyone looking for a side project? :D
http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/QuickPics/100_0571.jpg http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/QuickPics/100_0573.jpg
http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Misc...Stuff./dmontzmax/QuickPics/100_0570.jpg
It is not cracked through to the other side yet.

Kindsvater Flat
05-13-2004, 09:23 PM
lots?

dmontzsta
05-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
lots?
Like, new boat lots? :(

hboldno7
05-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
Like, new boat lots? :(
Id run it as is this season and rip it apart in the off season. The resto will give you something to do in the winter.

dmontzsta
05-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by hboldno7
Id run it as is this season and rip it apart in the off season. The resto will give you something to do in the winter.
yeah, I definately cant put it down this season, I dont know what I would do with myself. The only thing is, I dont know enough about glass work to do it myself. :)

hboldno7
05-13-2004, 10:08 PM
just start a thread about it and all the "ole pros" in here will walk you through it.

dmontzsta
05-13-2004, 10:27 PM
just start a thread about it and all the "ole pros" in here will walk you through it.
That sounds like fun...then maybe Billy B can work some magic on the matching the paint. :D I still need to see him about doing the floor for me. But, you need to have your shit together before going to the man. ;)

hboldno7
05-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
That sounds like fun...then maybe Billy B can work some magic on the matching the paint. :D I still need to see him about doing the floor for me. But, you need to have your shit together before going to the man. ;)
if you dont have your shit together you better have your wallet together.:D do as much of it you can your self and save a little money for the stuff you are not able to do on your own.

dmontzsta
05-13-2004, 10:40 PM
if you dont have your shit together you better have your wallet together.:D do as much of it you can your self and save a little money for the stuff you are not able to do on your own.
Exactly. I am happy I found this site a year ago, my knowledge has been greatly improved over the time. I know about motors and cars but boats are a completely different beast.

v-drive
05-14-2004, 08:49 AM
D, my son (Bowtie Omega) in the jet forum has some experiance
with glass. He also has gotten quite proficient in shooting gel coat. talk to him. That's bad and your right he slammed into something. When I first went to look at my lavey it was perfect.
When I went to pick it up it had a crack in the same place. The guy had a very steep driveway and when he was moving the boat it got away from him and hit the corner of his block wall.
It has to come all the way down and be reglassed and then new gel shot on. Learn now and practice with pieces at home so that when November hits you have a plan. Oh and ask him where he got his supplies as he went to the place where both Todd and HB go. He said that they were very helpfull :D v-drive

dmontzsta
05-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by v-drive
D, my son (Bowtie Omega) in the jet forum has some experiance
with glass. He also has gotten quite proficient in shooting gel coat. talk to him. That's bad and your right he slammed into something. When I first went to look at my lavey it was perfect.
When I went to pick it up it had a crack in the same place. The guy had a very steep driveway and when he was moving the boat it got away from him and hit the corner of his block wall.
It has to come all the way down and be reglassed and then new gel shot on. Learn now and practice with pieces at home so that when November hits you have a plan. Oh and ask him where he got his supplies as he went to the place where both Todd and HB go. He said that they were very helpfull :D v-drive
Wow, I did not know he was your son. Cool!
Maybe you can talk to your boy for me and have that father son deal? :D

v-drive
05-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Another funny. When he was I'm thinking 13 I bought an old chevy truck(1955 first series)and he wanted desperately to work on it .He did but I made him do it the really old fashioned way so that he would appreciate new technology and he does. He is not afraid to take on anything. He always has a plan and sticks to it.
When I try to show him a shortcut now I just get this look of "that's not the way it is supposed to be done" . I'll see what he has to say..............v-drive

Morg
05-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Don't mean to be negative but,
Being that damage is right on the seam of the deck, & it looks its cracked along the seam joint. That crack looks more like its from flexing than impact. If it were my boat I would be really concerned about structural rigidity. The longer you run the boat like that the further the damage will travel thru the glass. The flexing that occurs from that week point also stress cracks the gel coat, especialy gell coat that has been hardening for the past 30 some years.
I saw a Hondo circle runner nose in real hard one time. It split the deck pretty much right where your damage is. Not saying the damage is from noseing in hard just saying that is a fairly important structural part of the hull.
Just felt it needed to be said.

hboldno7
05-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Morg
Don't mean to be negative but,
Being that damage is right on the seam of the deck, & it looks its cracked along the seam joint. That crack looks more like its from flexing than impact. If it were my boat I would be really concerned about structural rigidity. The longer you run the boat like that the further the damage will travel thru the glass. The flexing that occurs from that week point also stress cracks the gel coat, especialy gell coat that has been hardening for the past 30 some years.
I saw a Hondo circle runner nose in real hard one time. It split the deck pretty much right where your damage is. Not saying the damage is from noseing in hard just saying that is a fairly important structural part of the hull.
Just felt it needed to be said.
Now that that has been said, Put some Duct Tape on it and run the shit out of it !!

MAXIMUS
05-14-2004, 04:12 PM
I would highly recomend calling Ken Meyers at B&K boat repair
14748 Bellflower Blvd Bellflower
562-925-7111
He does a lot of work on custom boats with capped edges & his prices are reasonable!:)

Jake W
05-15-2004, 05:01 AM
Is it Gell or paint?
Glass is really easy to use if it is gell it would only cost about 25 for the resin.20 for the glass if that ,and about 70 bucks for the gell hardner,wax solution,and styrine(sp) and your labor.
Grind it out with a 4 inch grinder to where the crack stops and re glass it poure the resin in a coffie can and put the hardner in and mix it around if it hardens to quick you put to much hardned in it LOL.Get a paint brush and wipe the resin on the cloth and put it on the crack untill it is built back up.Sand it untill it is smooth or matches the rest of the hull. Really it is alot easer than you think.And also if you do not own any spray equipment and it is gell you can brush it on and then sand it back out and polish it ,it uses more gell this way.
If it is painted it will be more of a pain but you could still fix the crack and run it untill you could get it painted.

ColeTR1
05-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
Is it Gell or paint?
Glass is really easy to use if it is gell it would only cost about 25 for the resin.20 for the glass if that ,and about 70 bucks for the gell hardner,wax solution,and styrine(sp) and your labor.
Grind it out with a 4 inch grinder to where the crack stops and re glass it poure the resin in a coffie can and put the hardner in and mix it around if it hardens to quick you put to much hardned in it LOL.Get a paint brush and wipe the resin on the cloth and put it on the crack untill it is built back up.Sand it untill it is smooth or matches the rest of the hull. Really it is alot easer than you think.
You can also get some white pigment to mix with the resin (Surf Board Shop). If the deck is coming apart I would take it to a pro.

dmontzsta
05-15-2004, 06:03 AM
I am not sure if it is gel or paint. I have owned the boat for about 6 years, but have not been around alot of other boaters in that time, until I found this site one year ago. If I were to guess...I would say gel, cause it is smooth and feel thick. Is there a way to tell? I know there are some spots on the boat that have "chipped" off, is that signs of gel? I can contact Havasu Hangin, his friend used to own the boat and actually redid it this scheme/color.

v-drive
05-15-2004, 07:12 AM
D, originally it was gelcoat. I have crawled up underneath mine and found that Al Lavey did extremely good work. The inside is as tightly glassed as the outside and by looking at the pics that's why yours hasn't broken through yet. I think you should call the guy that was recommended (Ken Meyers) in this thread. If water gets between the glass it could really turn ugly fast. You could probably call toddnjuz also although I don't know if he goes into those type of structural repairs. :( v-drive

dmontzsta
05-15-2004, 07:36 AM
I think I will give him a call and maybe send him these pics and see if he can give me an idea of cost. I just need to know how much to have. I hope to make it through the boating season. If it can be fixed during the season by sitting it out for 1-2 weeks that would work also. Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate your replies.

GofastRacer
05-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Well I'm late on this but from what I see in the pics it looks more than just the cap, it looks like the deck is separating?, I would look under there and and see if you can see it coming apart there, if it's sound then it's just the cap and it's not that big of a deal!..

MAXIMUS
05-17-2004, 08:18 AM
I don't normally recommend anybody as it usually falls back in my lap! Ken is a really good guy with good skills & his prices are very fair! Please at least call him & talk! He did a fantastic job capping the back of my squirt boat & fixing holes & such! Just pick up the phone a dial!!! If you call now we will also include a free estimate to turn that puppy into a jet! Don't wait...:D

dmontzsta
05-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by MAXIMUS
I don't normally recommend anybody as it usually falls back in my lap! Ken is a really good guy with good skills & his prices are very fair! Please at least call him & talk! He did a fantastic job capping the back of my squirt boat & fixing holes & such! Just pick up the phone a dial!!! If you call now we will also include a free estimate to turn that puppy into a jet! Don't wait...:D
haha, I will give him a call sometime this week. I have a few other things lined up, people have PM'd me so I am working a few things out there. I probably wont put this puppy down until winter.
Also, thanks for the free estimate, but I dont think it is needed. :)