PDA

View Full Version : ? for superdave

fat rat
07-24-2001, 06:49 PM
What it the best way to setup the breathers on BBBC? Right know im running Moroso's oil seperaters breathers with hose's to my flame arresters, but they seem to be making a mess of things. I've concidered removing the breathers and installing lines to a puke tank with a breather setup on it and concidered running a vacuum pump, breathers on one valve cover and a line from the other valve cover thorough the pump to a puke tank. I hope you understand this......Anything would be helpful, Thanx

spectras only
07-24-2001, 09:27 PM
Fat Rat,I use one breather on the valvecovers and a pcv valve connected to the base of the carb with a hose.No mess at all

fat rat
07-25-2001, 04:04 AM
Who manufactored your carb base? My littlefield base is only 1/2 thick, my buddies 600sc is setup like that. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

johnnie jetboat
07-25-2001, 05:23 AM
I've always wondered why boats don't use pcv valves to control the mess. My BDS top only has a couple of 1/8" npt ports, which I don't think would handle the job.
I am thinking of copying something I saw in ***boat recently(a couple of months back).
There was a jet with egr type check valves tapped into the bassetts and lines from the valve covers plumbed into them. I'm betting that works ok.

froggystyle
07-25-2001, 08:10 AM
I know guys who have done that and it works great. I just didn't want to screw up my new Bassetts. So, instead I screwed up everything else by blowing oil out of my K&N Breathers. Ooops. Hot tip, use baffled breathers on a blower motor...use baffled breathers on a blower motor... that is my new mantra.

spectras only
07-25-2001, 08:12 AM
Rat,my 780 holley came with the boat when new and it has the pcv nipple on the carb body.If you don't have one ,get a 1" phenolic spacer from any speedshop, and tap it for a fitting .

rivercrazy
07-25-2001, 08:22 AM
Hey Spectra what does the Phenolic spacer do? It assume its made from some sort of plastic composite. What are the benefits?

spectras only
07-25-2001, 09:16 AM
rivercrazy,it insulates the carb from manifold heat,in the seventies the boatbuilders used a 3/8 insulator under the carbs.The phenolic is a nice shiny black piece.You can get it in 2" size as well to enhance your bottom end tourque.I use a 2" on my 429 CJ,and a 1" on my LS6.Dodge Challengers came out with the carter thermoquad with the phenolic body in 1970's[I had it in my 72].Worked great,240 RWH with 3.23 rear end ratio,not bad for a small block If you noticed lately ,mustangs,corvettes etc...started using composite intakes to keep the air/fuel temp down for better density ,not just making it cheaper to produce.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited July 25, 2001).]

superdave013
07-25-2001, 03:09 PM
I run one tall breather on each valve cover. They are mounted in the middle of the cover. If I had it to do all over again I would mount the more towards the front of the boat up high on the cover. They have foam baffles and do not puke at all. maybe a slight film by the end of a hard weekend. If you puking a lot of oil your location might not be in a good spot, breathers have crappy baffels or your engine has a lot of blow-by (worn rings). I would not run them to the sparkaressters. You don't want oil getting in there. Oil will get in your combustion chambers and that can lead to detinotion (sp?) The puke tank would be better. Also hooking them up the the collectors on the headers is good. This will create a vacuum in your crank case and that's a good thing. The headers I told you I had are set up for this. I'll send you a pic of my covers.

fat rat
07-26-2001, 10:45 AM
Thanks to all the responces and e-mails....you gotta love this site...I have an idea....hows about running a puke tank between the vave covers and the collecters.

superdave013
07-27-2001, 11:48 AM
Don't do that. It will just suck everything out of the tank i think. The collector set up is a great way to do it as it creates a vacuum in the crank case. But you will still need some kind of baffles in the breathers.

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-08-2001, 01:15 PM
The best way to get rid of the oil mess is to use a vacuum pump and a puketank. This is expensive but well worth it especially if your getting ready to rebuild a motor. You will have NO mess, get better cylinder sealing due to a better sealing of the rings. You can also use a low tention oil control ring which reduces cylinder wear. For you guys on a budget looking for a good fix and don't want to take on the expense of a vacuum pump setup go with this. MOROSO makes a great crankcase evacuation system that is the next best thing. It supply's everything you need to do it. You have to have the oneway check valve and nipple welded into your headers wet or dry doesn't matter. Then run your hoses from the supplied breather/oil seperators to the welded nipples near the header collector. This supplys enough vacuum to get rid of your oil mess...MOROSO PART NUMBER IS 25900. Only about a hundred bucks or so. Hope this helps

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-08-2001, 01:21 PM
DON'T INSTALL A PCV VALVE ON A PERFORMANCE BOAT!!! They are a serious waste of time. Go with a header mounted system or better yet go with a vacuum pump. If your running a mom n pop boat ski boat than it is OK but most of us are running alot more than a ski boat with a stock motor in it. NOTE: when wasthe last time any of us went to a drag race a saw a pcv valve on a serious racecar? HHMMMMMMMMMMMM BECAUSE THEY SUCK!!!!!!