PDA

View Full Version : This just sux

Cheap Thrills
05-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Pardon me while I rant and rave for a min. or two.
After working on my boat this winter off and on new engine rebuild pump, guages, wireing ect. Yesterday I decided it was time to give it a go and see how my work had turned out .
So I hook the boat up to my old 68 short bed step side Chevy truck . Ive had this truck going on 14 years and it sure has been a good one but yesterday it decided it didnt want to pull boats anymore. while trying to take off from a steep hill I stalled the engine . so I reach down to the switch to start her back up and the starter drags like the battery is weak . OK no problem I'm thinking , I'll just throw it in reverse since I'm on this hill and roll start it backwards . upon finishing my little reverse wiggle start I hit the clutch and throw it into first gear well it wasnt first and it wasnt reverse it was a combination of both . Locked up tighter than dick's hatband . so here I am on this hill transmission bound up and all the weight of the boat and the truck putting pressure on the gears I soon realised no ammount of force on the shifter was going to get the linkage back to the way it's suppose to be when the phucker broke off at the tranny . :rolleyes:
so there I was dead in the water . I get out and look for something to chock the wheels with so I can jack this circus side show up and relieve the pressure . finally after a few min. I was back in neutral and ready to go back to the house ,but wait , how the hell am I going to shift it whith the shifter laying in the passenger floorboard :confused: . ahh I knew I had a screwdriver maybe ? YES first gearrrrrrr we go . back to the house I limped .
if you've read this far bless your heart , but I'm not finished yet
It gets better .:rolleyes:
I welded my shifter back together this morning with hopes of trying to make it to one of the smaller lakes in the area to do a test run because my home (Lake Lure ) cost $450.00 a year for a permit I'm not buying a permit to find out my ride isnt up to par .
I finally arrived at Summit . excited that the trip went well without any failure .
well as Im preping the boat for launch (in the parking area not at the ramp ) the gate keeper comes up to me and says that I cant launch my boat because its not a fishing boat. I'm like what ? Hell you let me last year I even still have that uglyass sticker you gave me on it . when I explained I just needed a few min to test it out and that I wasnt going to be balls to the wall with it he decides that it would be ok as long as I was cool .
OK Great (BIG GRIN) I finish up doing the last min recheck wich concluded with bumping the starter over to make sure all systems GO. as soon as it turned it fired up , rumpida rumpida rumpida was all it took for Jethro the gate man to run back up to me and tell me that I couldnt launch again . Now I'm really like what , thu , phuck.
at this point I was ready to scream a mouthfull of nasty words at the cooky little phuck but I held my breath and buttoned everything back up for the ride home . needless to say I peeled his uglyass sticker off my boat and threw it on the ground .
It hasnt been a prosperous weekend, but it's definately has had it's moments . OK I'm finished now :D
C.T. :yuk:

Mandelon
05-15-2004, 01:23 PM
That sucks. But.....at least the boat fired up and ran, and the truck has not died. It could be worse. :p

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-15-2004, 01:28 PM
ditto..;)

Cheap Thrills
05-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Thats true . and theres always the next time . I believe I'll scope out a couple of the other local waterways tomorrow and see if I need to mount some downriggers and rod holders in the Tahti :D before I drag it out .
C.T. :wink:

Kim Hanson
05-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Its good to hear the boat fired right up, mine did the other day first time..............( . )( . )...........:cool: Sorry to hear about the truck though! :frown:

twistedpair
05-15-2004, 02:05 PM
You mean to tell me that people will pay $450 a year to FISH!?!:confused: I thought there were bass all over the south, what makes this place so special?

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-15-2004, 02:07 PM
we go to the ocean for white sea bass.. :D

carreraelite
05-15-2004, 02:29 PM
I also have a '68 chev, shortbed step side. It origially had a granny 4 Speed in it. an automatic trans swap is easy!! I think it took me all of an afternoon to do the swap. I'm now getting it ready for yet another swap, from small block to big block!!
http://riverracerx.com/images/mb2/uploads/post-21-26891-68lf.jpg

Moneypitt
05-15-2004, 02:32 PM
High yearly fees keep the riff raff off of the lake.....less fishermen, more fish for the ones that are there....."you can't have fun here unless you can afford the $450.00". Kinda like a country club, members only type deal............I guess.......Moneypitt

Cheap Thrills
05-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
You mean to tell me that people will pay $450 a year to FISH!?!:confused: I thought there were bass all over the south, what makes this place so special?
Nooooo. the $450 is for the Elite and nearly overcrouded Lake Lure. the $$ like Moneypitt says keeps down on the riff raff thus nicer , cleaner and less crouded . more of a country club setting than a free for all. if it werent for the permit fee the rednecks would be sure to have it full of beer bottles and empty pork rhind bags. Lake Lure / Chimney Rock is one of the hottest spots in the area . tourism is a big deal here in The Great Smokey Mountains .
I can fish anywhere for the cost of a licenses and a slower boat :D
http://www.lake-lure.com/
http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/

FMluvswater
05-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Awww, I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it today C.T..
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v56/FMluvswaterbabe/bighug1.gif
Better luck next time. :)

DansBlown73Nordic
05-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Sounds like one of my Days....:rolleyes: I once backed my truck and trailer in to the water at the boat launch. I got out and launched the boat. I go to pull out and the Phucking truck won't start......:mad:
So after a few minutes I figure out the fuel pump in the tank is BAD!!!!!!!:mad:
So I call a friend who comes and pulls my truck and boat trailer the 8 miles home. That really looked like a circus train.....;)