PDA

View Full Version : I started my 460... cam break in

adsala
05-16-2004, 03:12 PM
For those of you that read my last post Afraid to start my 460. Well, I got it all back together and started it this morning. New lifters new cam new crank and rod bearings. I broke in the cam like everyone does. 1800-2500 rpms for first 20 mins. The engine pretty much started right up on just a few cranks. I actually ran it for 30 mins. The good news is the engine runs great. The bad new is when I looked at my filter. A very fine silver under the sunlight but not much. And no metal shavings. And nothing sticks to a magnet. Is it just bearing(babbit) material? I was thinking of pulling the intake and looking at the cam lobes. Engine still runs great. Hope I don't have another cam lobe going! What should I do?
Dean

Infomaniac
05-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Did you take the engine apart and have it tanked after the last cam went dead?
Could be left over metal.

adsala
05-16-2004, 03:18 PM
I did not have it hot tanked. But I cleaned all the oil galleries and block with soap and water.
Dean

Rexone
05-16-2004, 04:27 PM
If you did not have it tanked and pull the cam bearings it's probably left over. I'd change the oil and run it again and inspect it again for what your seeing. If it goes away you're probalby home free. Don't keep running it though with contaminated oil (metallic looking). Change it until it stays clean.
You should not be getting much metallic looking stuff off the bearings, a little maybe first time around if they're new but not much. the fact the material is not magnetic is of some concern because that narrows it down to bearing material or aluminum (like piston material).
In any case you're this far along I'd change the oil run it again and inspect again before jumping to any conclusions.

adsala
05-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Well, another sacrificial oil filter bites the dust! No pun intended. Looks like you guys were right. I changed the oil and filter and ran the engine around 2000 rpms for about 30 minutes. It's running so great I can't believe it! Finally! And 70+lbs oil pressure. I opened the filter and the oil looked alot cleaner.
Heres a picture attachment of the bitch.
Ignore the garden hose.
Thanks
Dean

GofastRacer
05-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Now you need to put a load on it, with a fresh batch of oil and a new filter, take it out and run the shit out of it then cut the filter open and see what it looks like, that will tell you if you have a good one or not!..

LakesOnly
05-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Lookin' Good Dean:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=697847
Listen, I may go to Anderson Monday or the next day, if you think you may want me there with you...PM me if interested.
LO