PDA

View Full Version : Sparkplug readings

MANIC MECHANIC
05-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Since I can't even let off of the throttle to quickly without having the boat want to hook one way or the other, theres no way I can think of to get an accurate plug reading.
So...I'm really wondering..... how do I tune this thing?
Thanks.
Tim

Squirtcha?
05-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Manic, mine hooks pretty violently too. Just do the best ya can with it. If you can get past that hooking deal, she'll glide after that. It's how I took my plug readings anyway. It won't hurt it to idle for a second or two. Just not all the way past a nowake and into the trailer. Very different readings between doing it this way and taking em after a minute or two of idling.

Rexone
05-16-2004, 07:31 PM
just make your pass bring it down to a manageable speed and click er off and coast to a stop. If you have to you can come down to and idle but don't let it sit there and idle. I don't think anyone of sane mind would just turn the key off at WOT. The point is don't idle it before reading the plugs. There is a good link on plug reading in the top post in Gear Heads too.
:)

GlastronGuy
05-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
just make your pass bring it down to a manageable speed and click er off and coast to a stop. If you have to you can come down to and idle but don't let it sit there and idle. I don't think anyone of sane mind would just turn the key off at WOT. The point is don't idle it before reading the plugs. There is a good link on plug reading in the top post in Gear Heads too.
:)
I guess I am insane.

Rexone
05-16-2004, 08:05 PM
I guess I should have added in a boat that has a propensity to hook when getting off the throttle.

sidewound
05-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Glad to hear you've got the sleek in the water Tim!
When you get it tuned how bout doin mine?:D :D :D
Is their anything you can do to help with the hooking problem?
Good Luck with her!
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

MANIC MECHANIC
05-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by sidewound
Is their anything you can do to help with the hooking problem?
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR
I don't know.... would a rudder help? You guys tell me..
?
Tim