PDA

View Full Version : Silencing your loud engine at home

adsala
05-16-2004, 06:15 PM
My boat sits right up against the nieghbors fence. And the guy next door is always watering his plants right when I want to start my loud engine. He's says it's ok but the other nieghbors can here the engine too. They live across the street three doors down!
Well, here is my home depot solution. And it works excellent. Not sure how you would do it with headers but through transom is easy. Get some clamping rubber reducers to clamp to your exhaust tips. I used 3" to 2" reducers. I used some galvanized metal pipe as short headers to plug into the 2" end of the reducer.. Then attached them to black abs. I screwed the abs pipes at the elbows so I can take them apart but glued them otherwise. I ran the pipes about 10 feet into an old plastic trash can. On the other side of the trash can, I drilled 4 1" holes. I put a big paver brick inside to hold the can in place and divert the exhaust. The garbage can has a clamp on lid.
When the engine runs, I sounds like you are working on a car. It's very quiet. You can also here other things in your engine you may not otherwise be aware of.
Dean
http://www.lynhaven.org/JetBoat/canMuff.jpg
http://www.lynhaven.org/JetBoat/backMuff.jpg

Kachina26
05-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Almost as clean as the zip ties holding on the license plate:D Cool setup, even when the boat was at home I didn't run it enough to bug anyone.

GofastRacer
05-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Hey what the heck if it works, that's what counts!..:D

HP350SC
05-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Quite the contraptionation...:wink:

Rexone
05-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by adsala
http://www.lynhaven.org/JetBoat/backMuff.jpg
Now that there is some fine lookin riggin. :D
Just given you chit. It's actually pretty ingenious. You should sell those in kit form. "The driveway rev kit" by adsala.

LakesOnly
05-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Hey Man,
Why not just leave those on when you have to pass a noise ordinance dockside? :p Your exhaust will exit five feet underwater and at twenty feet further away! :D
LO

Sleek-Jet
05-16-2004, 07:44 PM
That would be a good way to get rid of annoying neighborhood critters also.

Blown 472
05-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
That would be a good way to get rid of annoying neighborhood critters also.
and a wear ring and imp.

schiada96
05-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
and a wear ring and imp.
Jumping to conclusions? Is the driveline hooked up?

Infomaniac
05-16-2004, 08:42 PM
This is how I do it. Click on the link. Seems to be a bit slow sometimes. Please be patient.
The neighbors can eat shit and die. I do not start it unless necessary. (http://marineassault.net/July03.mpg)

Kachina26
05-16-2004, 08:55 PM
You'd have to use a lot of pipe to quiet that sucker down.

shaun
05-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I was thinking about doing somthing simular but i run open headers. Starting the boat for a few minutes isnt a problem really but i dont think my neighbors are going to appriciate the 20min run at 2000 rpm for cam breakin!
My idea was simular but instead of running it into a trash can i was thinking about just picking up a muffler/resinator from a local junkyard for a truck. Your design is probably cheaper..

adsala
05-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Zoomies in the driveway. Can't do that. Sorry.hehe I hope you are friends with all the neighbors!
Since I rebuilt my engine with bigger compression and cam, boy it got louder! My old stock engine was nothing and didn't worry about it.
Yes I know I know the drive line was connected. I can not disconnect it unless I pull the motor. The only bad thing about this boat. Just to let you guys know, I have never had major problems with running with driveline attached. The only thing is that the u-joints wear out. I've seen all the messages about this. And I plan on going through the pump soon. But it's always performed good on the water.
I was just recently looking through the CPperformance cat to find another option. One that I can disconnect the drive. No Go. I call them and the tech told me as long as I pump water through it, it's ok. I also told him that I need to run it up to almost 3000 rpm. He said no prob just flood it with water. I mentioned to him about worn u-joints and then silence.
I took the pump apart recently and replaced the bearings and the wear ring and impeller looked great. But I hear you!

wsuwrhr
05-16-2004, 10:47 PM
[i]Originally posted by Infomaniac The neighbors can eat shit and die. I do not start it unless necessary. [/URL] [/B]
That's what I am talking about. I wish more of my neighbors had Hot Rods.
Brian

adsala
05-16-2004, 11:02 PM
wsuwrhr,
That looks like me 20 years ago. Spraying my first boat. Laquar base with Poly clear. It actually held up well untill someone droped somthing on it. Or put it on the shore. The chips would fly. Gelcoat is the only way to go. Sticks good and very durable. But lots of work!

wsuwrhr
05-17-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by adsala
wsuwrhr,
That looks like me 20 years ago. Spraying my first boat. Laquar base with Poly clear. It actually held up well untill someone droped somthing on it. Or put it on the shore. The chips would fly. Gelcoat is the only way to go. Sticks good and very durable. But lots of work!
Thanks for the compliments.
I liked your exhaust deal, I bet it works good. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Brian