PDA

View Full Version : boat money

dexman38
05-16-2004, 08:39 PM
My new boat is due at the end of June. My freinds and family can not wait. My question is how much to ask form them when we go out on the week end get aways.How do you season boaters handle this. Are is it I am the only one that has this concern. BY THE WAY HTESE FREINDS AND FAMILY ARE REAL CHEAP

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I would say ask for gas money before you leave and if they don't want to then leave them at home.. IMO>> ;)

dexman38
05-16-2004, 08:42 PM
IS THER A SET AMOUNT ARE JUST THROW A NUMBER OUT THERE

phebus
05-16-2004, 08:43 PM
I never ask anything from anyone. Those that help out (gas, beer) get invited again. Those that don't.....oh well

twistedpair
05-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Tell them to supply thier own food and beverage (you'll be lucky to get one or the other). Fuel donations are nice, but rare. My suggestion is enjoy your boat and their company, and if anyone pitches in to help, thats gravy.

Debbolas
05-16-2004, 08:46 PM
We have people offer to help with gas$, but everyone on board usually brings their own stuff. (my big deal is trying to put it all away) Maybe Mr. Scream should answer this......;)

dexman38
05-16-2004, 08:47 PM
sorry i mispelled these

dexman38
05-16-2004, 08:49 PM
i like the one dont ask for any thing. that way if they dont bring anything they dont go again

twistedpair
05-16-2004, 08:51 PM
So Dex, what kind of boat are you getting? We love details!:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-16-2004, 08:51 PM
that is your best bet.. we've done that.. but we also always offer gas money if we tag along. also we always bring our drinks plus extra and food..
;)

lakesmodified
05-16-2004, 08:52 PM
If you're counting on friends and family to "Foot the bill" for gas in your new boat, you might as well cancel your order! Unfortunately, this isn't the "Norm" in the boating world... When you "invite" friends and family, that was an invitation, not an offer to pay.. I have a friend like you that Always expected for people to foot the bill so to speak... Needless to say, he doesn't have anyone going out with him any longer... When you invite people, don't expect payment. If they offer to help for gas, then you can graciously accept or decline(As I do) Bottom line, YES, you're being gracious taking them out in your boat, however, you will be spending that gas money whether they're there or not, so don't expect them to pay.

Kachina26
05-16-2004, 08:53 PM
I have never asked for gas money, the way I figure it, I'm going out whether they donate or not. I know someone who may be lurking around here who split everything down to the penny with those who rode with him, kinda takes the fun out of it. I've had more donations since I bought the bigger boat than I've had in the past. Probably because the old boat didn't hold passengers so there was no one to donate.:D

Boozer
05-16-2004, 08:54 PM
The amount of money to request may vary.
Usually when I take the friends out I ask that they just chip in for gas I never set an amount of money but when they see me fuel up the boat they are usually pretty generous. But my boat only take 35 gallons and I can run 2 days on 35 gallons with it. If it's a day or weekend affair I usually go shopping for food and drinks the day of and they go with me to the store it makes them feel obligated to put in on the expenses as they should.
If you're boat is big block powered and you're going out for a weekend on the river or havasu I'd hope they were willing to throw you $100. Those big blocks burn a lot of fuel and the stuff isnt cheap anymore.

dicudmore
05-16-2004, 09:05 PM
I never expect donations on my boat and when they come they are RARE. However I go out with a regular crew and we pretty much rotate their boat or my boat and the other generally brings the food/beverage, or if we take their boat then I tow it for them, etc.

dicudmore
05-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
So Dex, what kind of boat are you getting? We love details!:D
If memory serves the Dexman ordered a 29' Shockwave....
I think on the last thread we were trying to talk him into the BLUE motor.
So, spill the details, and where are the f'ing pics already??

fourspeednup
05-16-2004, 09:11 PM
I only take good friends along with me and I'm comfortable asking them to chip in....if it was someone I didn't know well, then I would feel wierd asking for money
I wish I could throw down major $$$ over a river weekend like a lot of the big ballers on here but that isn't in the cards right now. I have to budget my trips beforehand and that usually involves splitting the costs of gas, food, and beer between me and my homies.
In your case dexman I'd think that you could suggest they bring food for everybody and plenty of your favorite beverage
If they throw in a few $20's then look at it as bonus cash:cool:

dexman38
05-16-2004, 09:21 PM
all of your replies where great. thanks alot i want be asking for gas money . just to supply their own food and drink. yes i have order the 29 shockwave . I am working on the wife/ accountent for the blue motor .but i dont think that is going to happen.

LAVEYSABRE575
05-16-2004, 09:35 PM
lakesmodified hit it on the head its strictly an invitation them just being there having a good time is good enough for me, then again im a giver not a receiver...derek

C-2
05-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by dexman38
all of your replies where great. thanks alot i want be asking for gas money . just to supply their own food and drink. yes i have order the 29 shockwave . I am working on the wife/ accountent for the blue motor .but i dont think that is going to happen.
Keep wrenching for the blue motor, especially if no motor upgrades are in the future. In fact, pull up the price on a Teague blower motor and show her how much money she is saving!
A tactful way to get some gas money is to show your guests your new license plate frame that reads;
"This boat runs on fuel, not friendship."
Works every time. :)

cruser
05-16-2004, 11:04 PM
I never ask for help on costs. Asking for "donations" changes your status from a pleasure/recreational boater to a professional, for hire, boater. When you get paid you have more responsibility and are required to be more equipped for emergencies.
If someone want to volunteer because they see how much the fuel/food cost, that's fine with me.
cruzer

Laveyman
05-17-2004, 05:03 AM
Lakesmodified is dead on with his respopnse. Or, your could place a sign like this on your boat...
This boat runs on gas, not gratitude!

DetroitJim
05-17-2004, 05:53 AM
What I do is make sure they are standing there next to me when the tanks get filled. Even better tell them the captain has to stay with the boat at all times when at the fuel dock and hand them the money to go pay. Most folks offer to help out without any hints.
DJ

BarryMac
05-17-2004, 06:10 AM
I never ask, I am going to be out there having fun anyhow whether they are with me or not, if they offer that's just a bonus. However, if they want to drink they had better stay out of my beer, they better have brought there own. :D

TOBTEK
05-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by LAVEYSABRE575
lakesmodified hit it on the head its strictly an invitation them just being there having a good time is good enough for me, then again im a giver not a receiver...derek
"then again im a giver not a receiver...derek".........THATS NOT WHAT I HEARD!:D :D ..J/K
I also agree with this..if you expect something, you will allways be disapointed.....although it does get REALLY old flippin the bill without any help. And my gas gill is cheap compaired to some of yours im sure...

shueman
05-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Never have asked. Usually full before we hit the water. Those who come along, if their good peeps, always ask. I say, "bring some beer or food". It's all good. I'm goin' anyway. Nice to have friends along to LUG all the stuff to the beach while I cruise over from the launch..!!!

welk2party
05-17-2004, 07:27 AM
I never ask. I am going to the lake with or without. Gas is a nice bonus but I always tell people before the trip to make sure they have their own food and drinks. Usually not a problem.:cool:

HCS
05-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Cash, Gas or Ass, no buddy rides for free.

Riverready
05-17-2004, 07:38 AM
My boat runs on fuel not friendship.
Justin

coolchange
05-17-2004, 07:41 AM
If its friends invitng friends there is usually a "what should we bring?" But if its a group like our old bachelor trip days we would decide whos boat was going then whos truck was towing. Then we would ante up. Everybody pitched a fifty and that would run the junk til we had to ante again. I realize that would prolly be a Buck a piece today though!

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Cash, Gas or Ass, no buddy rides for free.
well what kind of buddy would give you ass.. :eek:
note to self.. keep Mr Vee away from hardcore ski:D :D :D

HCS
05-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
well what kind of buddy would give you ass.. :eek:
note to self.. keep Mr Vee away from hardcore ski:D :D :D
That's where the Gas and cash fit in.:rolleyes:

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-17-2004, 08:07 AM
That's where the Gas and cash fit in.:rolleyes:
LMAO!! sorry I just couldn't resist.. :D :D :D :D

HCS
05-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
LMAO!! sorry I just couldn't resist.. :D :D :D :D
I should know better. I left myself out there for the kill.:wink:

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-17-2004, 08:10 AM
I should know better. I left myself out there for the kill.:wink:
and I pounced on it.. :D :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-17-2004, 08:28 AM
People who have never owned boats are ignorant as to how much it costs for a day of boating. Let them know if you want some help. It's not their fault, they don't know any better. Personally, we don't ever ask for gas money, but it's sure nice to get help in that dept. If your friends and family are really that cheap, tell them, "BTW, it costs about $100 a day for gas, so it would be great if someone could chip in." If they are offended, oh well, they don't have to go.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-17-2004, 08:30 AM
One more thing, you should let them know about that when you invite them, not at the marina; if they didn't bring much cash, it could make your guests feel awkward, and you don't want that. You want them to have a good time.:D

OutCole'd
05-17-2004, 08:36 AM
I have a 525 in my Magic Deck that uses a lot of gas. So I usually ask for $10.00 for the entire weekend. That should cover it.
Lakesmodified hit it for me. I only expect some company for the day. Some good memories for me are better than the gas money.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-17-2004, 08:41 AM
I agree. If we couldn't afford the gas, we wouldn't go. We always gas up the boat on the road (that way we can have the business pay for it), so gas is usually not a big issue for us.
Just bring enough beer for yourself, dammit! That's the important thing:D :D :D

spute
05-17-2004, 11:44 AM
one thought might be to tell them that the first tank is on you and if you have to refuel you will need some help. But like the other posts say, you will burn the gas whether you go with or without them.

Scream
05-17-2004, 12:29 PM
My philosophy is:
1. Never ask for donations. If I didn't want them in my boat, they wouldn't have been asked to join me. If paying for gas was an issue for me, I may be inclined to take contributions, especially in today's economic climate. But if you're counting on gas donations as a way to lessen your costs, you're not into boating for the right reasons.
2. If they are cheap as you say, make it a rule they provide thier own food/drinks, or just say bring your snacks/lunch/drinks and come to the lake with us. I agree that some people will never take a hint or move one finger to help, but you need to be "master and commander" and take charge in your boat. Give them a job, even if it's helping to wipe down after you retrieve.
3. If you have had a bad experience with them in the past, don't invite them along. It may seem harsh, but some people just don't need to be having fun on your dime constantly. They'll get the picture.
Every time we've gone out with friends or family, someone always wants to pay for my gas. I have almost always declined. There are those also that insist and get offended if you don't take them up on thier offer. More beer money, I say.
Just my .02
Scream <---- Burnt like a piece of bologna on a hotplate! (ouch)

little rowe boat
05-17-2004, 12:37 PM
I never ask for any money,when we go out. my friends and family always offer to pitch in for fuel,but even if they didn't, I wouldn't care.

comin' unscrewed
05-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Another problem with requesting money from guests is they often think they now own you/your boat for the duration of the trip. They'll want to be in the boat every time it goes out and expect lots of time/attention for their money.
I suggest you don't ask. If they offer, great! But expect nothing.

Debbolas
05-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Scream
My philosophy is:
2. I agree that some people will never take a hint or move one finger to help,
Just my .02
Are ya talking about my family?!?!
jk/lol;)

HighRoller
05-17-2004, 02:49 PM
I think it depends too on the situation. If it's a one day trip, just tell them to bring their beverage of choice. A weekend is different, however. For example, when we go to Parker it's my Buddy's Ultra that is our primary ride. It has a big block and we drink a lot of beer so everyone knows that it's their RESPONSIBILITY to contribute somehow. I drive the truck to launch him and help him wipe down afterwards. I also bring more than enough beverages and we all "pool" our beer so that as the weekend progresses nobody feels like we're using "their" beer. We need beer, we grab a case from the stack. You have to foster an environment of generosity where people feel bad if they don't pitch in. Now, some other pointers. Make sure you designate one person to be your deck hand.(Preferrably somebody who can tie knots and handle a boat) This sounds silly, but there's no faster way to damage your boat, hurt somone or make a fool of yourself than having five people trying to simultaneously get out of the boat and tie it off. Either they'll all run into each other or they'll all assume the other guy is doing it and go to get a drink while the boat floats away!!! Finally, if you're taking a load of "boat rookies" on a trip, make sure you hammer the rules(your rules) into their head and don't be afraid to politely but firmly correct them when they do something wrong. As my friend says"sometimes you gotta be a dick to keep your boat nice." Nothing worse than a slightly tipsy passenger dancing on your GelCoat with sandy feet!

jackpunx
05-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Its not like Im not going to go if they dont chip in.. So if they do.. great.. Ive been pretty lucky with the people that come around lately.. so it has not been an issue.. We fight more for who can get the bill then anything else:D
And dont get me wrong.. by no means am I a baller.. but I'll go into debt for a good summer:D

summerlove
05-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by phebus
I never ask anything from anyone. Those that help out (gas, beer) get invited again. Those that don't.....oh well
ditto....
I hate it when people go with us and they don't offer anything, doesn't happen too often because now we generally have the same groups so they know the routine. In lieu of gas, dinner is always appreciated!

Debbolas
05-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey, summerlove, how is your sherriff job going?
LMAO!!!!:D

HCS
05-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Scream
My philosophy is:
1. Never ask for donations. If I didn't want them in my boat, they wouldn't have been asked to join me. If paying for gas was an issue for me, I may be inclined to take contributions, especially in today's economic climate. But if you're counting on gas donations as a way to lessen your costs, you're not into boating for the right reasons.
2. If they are cheap as you say, make it a rule they provide thier own food/drinks, or just say bring your snacks/lunch/drinks and come to the lake with us. I agree that some people will never take a hint or move one finger to help, but you need to be "master and commander" and take charge in your boat. Give them a job, even if it's helping to wipe down after you retrieve.
3. If you have had a bad experience with them in the past, don't invite them along. It may seem harsh, but some people just don't need to be having fun on your dime constantly. They'll get the picture.
Every time we've gone out with friends or family, someone always wants to pay for my gas. I have almost always declined. There are those also that insist and get offended if you don't take them up on thier offer. More beer money, I say.
Just my .02
That's what I'd say, if I was serious.:D

Speedin' Ian
05-17-2004, 03:21 PM
I am a young college student (at least for the next two weeks) and I always break up the cost with my buddies. Hell if myself or my other buddy didn't have boats then they would never get the opportunity to go to the lake. Chipping in for gas is the least they can do, I have to insurane it, maintain it, etc... Not to mention I am the only one with a truck that will tow it. I have a few friends that I always bring that never complain and always take care of me and my boat. The others should consider themselves lucky they made it on one trip.

AZmike
05-17-2004, 06:01 PM
I don't ask for anything, that way I'm dissapointed when no one pony's up some dough, but most of the time we have plenty of money for everything.
Now only if I could get my chick to do something helpful other than pack a cooler.:D

Debbolas
05-17-2004, 06:09 PM
who's a grumpy bastard, who's a grumpy bastard?!?
jk/lol;)

77charger
05-17-2004, 06:26 PM
I dont ask for extra unless i am short on cash or you are an ass and dont want to take you in the first place.Some cases i go to a friends and i can ride on their boats or they can ride on mine And neither ask for gas money just return the favor

dexman38
05-17-2004, 10:27 PM
I will take the advise of the board and go with the dont ask. Thanks for getting me on the right road. hope to meet all of you on the lake and i will have plenty of cold ones for everyone.

kp216
05-18-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by dexman38
and i will have plenty of cold ones for everyone.
:eek!: Day-um, that's a lot of beer!:D