PDA

View Full Version : Accident on Rice Road 5-16

jackpunx
05-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Did any of you see that truck roll?... I had my daughter out at shoe tree taking pictures.. and saw a bunch of commotion just down the road.. When I pulled up they seemed to have it under control.. There was a Off duty EMT there and both people involved had minor injuries.. At least compared to the truck.. Lucky people.. I guess they got a blow out..

Essex502
05-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Explorer or Expedition and Firestone tires?

jackpunx
05-17-2004, 09:01 AM
neither.. it was a little black truck..

bohica
05-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Didn't see that one, but did get stuck in traffic on the 10 right before Cabazon yesterday about 4:00. Looked like a roll over and definite fatality with the yellow sheet covering the body.:(
Buckle up and drive safe everyone.

jbtrailerjim
05-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by bohica
Didn't see that one, but did get stuck in traffic on the 10 right before Cabazon yesterday about 4:00. Looked like a roll over and definite fatality with the yellow sheet covering the body.:(
Buckle up and drive safe everyone.
I was stuck in that shit yesterday also. They had it cleaned up already but still a lot of traffic.:mad:

BonnevilleBaby
05-17-2004, 09:23 AM
I hate to hear stuff like that. SUre puts a bad end on an otherwise great weekend on the water. I wish we were'nt all in such a hurry, then maybe some of these could have been prevented???

Tyson Ross
05-17-2004, 10:03 AM
The one on Rice got Air Evac.. out w/ open head injury. I tell all of my friends to take the extra 10 min and go through the valley from I-10. A lot less accidents.

Mr.Havasu
05-17-2004, 10:10 AM
we rolled up on it around 9:00 pm coming back in to Havasu last night. It was somewhere between the two rail road tracks, was too dark to see the shoe tree, so I'm not sure if it was the same one. Looked scary as hell, I can't beleive it was only minor injuries, if so it had to be seat belts that saved them.
on another note....TURN OFF YOUR BRIGHTS!
It is a hard ride going against traffic on Rice road at night. There is no relief from the lights in your eyes and the brights make it very hard to see. Not a fun drive at all.

jackpunx
05-17-2004, 10:15 AM
we stopped at about 4=715.. It was still light and the heli was not there yet.. both people were talking and moving around.. they were really lucky the truck was twisted.. it was 32 miles south of Parker.. I always set my trip so that if anything happens.. I can say where Im at..

Tyson Ross
05-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Just another note....
Rollovers w/ occupants wearing seatbelts have been mostly walking wounded where as no seat belts vast majority = fatalities. :(
Help is a lot closer if you take Mohave Rd. from exit 1 on I-10 as well...

Phat Matt
05-17-2004, 11:36 AM
When I drove by people were already pulled over and helping them. I still called 911 to make sure they had been notified. I filled up in Parker so I knew how many miles out is was also. They were lucky to be alive by the looks of that truck.

Up 4 River
05-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I rolled by a little after it had happened and there were about 4 cars that had pulled over and a white Tahoe pulling a 38 Fountain. I called 911 as well and they informed me they had already gotten phone calls. It was a black Mazda single cab and it looked like a lady was laying on the ground next to the truck. It always make your heart pump a little faster when you see something like that on Rice Road. It's good to hear there wer no serious injuries.

Quality Time
05-17-2004, 01:54 PM
A 38' Fountain being pulled by a Tahoe:eek!:
The tail is definately wagging the dog:(

PlyaPlya22
05-17-2004, 02:37 PM
By the time we got there, they were in the process of the clean up. We had at least 15 people fly past us on Rice Road on the way home. Each oone of them towing something. Sometimes you need to leave a little earlier or just get home a little later..It's a no brainer!

summerlove
05-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Tyson Ross
Just another note....
Rollovers w/ occupants wearing seatbelts have been mostly walking wounded where as no seat belts vast majority = fatalities. :(
Help is a lot closer if you take Mohave Rd. from exit 1 on I-10 as well...
Rice Road is sooo dangerous - I never go that way anymore, ever since the CHP was killed by the mini truck a few years back. I now go to Mohave Road (Crit/Ehrenberg/Poston). While it may seem further, it's only 8 miles and you're on interestate an additional 40 miles or so, and Mohave Road is a 2 lane farm road that is very wide and is straight as an arrow for 20 miles and then a turn and again straight for about another 20 or so. Drops you out right in Parker...
Much safer.

Up 4 River
05-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Quality Time
A 38' Fountain being pulled by a Tahoe:eek!:
The tail is definately wagging the dog:(
It could have been a Suburban, but none the less a nice set up.

jbtrailerjim
05-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
Rice Road is sooo dangerous - I never go that way anymore, ever since the CHP was killed by the mini truck a few years back. I now go to Mohave Road (Crit/Ehrenberg/Poston). While it may seem further, it's only 8 miles and you're on interestate an additional 40 miles or so, and Mohave Road is a 2 lane farm road that is very wide and is straight as an arrow for 20 miles and then a turn and again straight for about another 20 or so. Drops you out right in Parker...
Much safer.
A good friend of mine, him and his father own a tow company out of Indio. My buddy was one of the tow truck driver's that was on that accident seen with the CHP & the mini truck. He told me it was horrible. I saw the mini truck in his tow yard. It was burnt to a crisp and demolished. I quit taking Rice Rd. about five year's ago and started going through Ehrenberg. I recently started taking Rice Rd. again (seem's a lot shorter) but I think I'll just start going through Ehrenberg again. It's just not worth putting my family and myself in that kind of danger just to save a few minute's. People on Rice Rd. drive like such asses. I saw more than a couple people taking way to big of a chance passing people with oncoming traffic getting close.

moonridge
05-17-2004, 03:16 PM
a few of you mentioned the accident by cabazon, well if you go to www.ocregister.com there is an article about it. I guess a 18 or 19 year old girl died. They werent wearing seatbelts. The driver started to drift and then jerked the wheel causing her to loose control. Very very sad.

summerlove
05-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
It's just not worth putting my family and myself in that kind of danger just to save a few minute's. People on Rice Rd. drive like such asses.
I don't even want to consider the chance that something will happen on Rice, so I stay away.....I can't even imagine it:cry:

That Guy
05-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Much safer.
I'm not sure I know how to go that way. Directions? Came back yesterday and I agree it is ridiculously crazy out there. Some Jack Hole pulling a 30' or so Carrera passed me going at least 85 or 90....Any new way out there would be welcomed.

summerlove
05-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by sbark1
I'm not sure I know how to go that way. Directions? Came back yesterday and I agree it is ridiculously crazy out there. Some Jack Hole pulling a 30' or so Carrera passed me going at least 85 or 90....Any new way out there would be welcomed.
Take I-10 and cross the colorado river at Blythe, and exit at Exit #1.
At the top of the ramp, turn left, and at the bottom of the hill, turn right (you can only go left or right, not straight). Take that road for 40 miles until you get to the stop sign, and turn left. You're in Parker!
If you look at the map, you'll pass through Poston and Ehrenberg.
Much safer and much less crowded. good luck!

jbtrailerjim
05-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Take I-10 and cross the colorado river at Blythe, and exit at Exit #1.
At the top of the ramp, turn left, and at the bottom of the hill, turn right (you can only go left or right, not straight). Take that road for 40 miles until you get to the stop sign, and turn left. You're in Parker!
If you look at the map, you'll pass through Poston and Ehrenberg.
Much safer and much less crowded. good luck!
Plus you have the Flying J truck stop right there at the I-10 exit. That's a good place for a piss break for everyone. It's much better than that dump of a gas station on Rice Rd. and the I-10.

Scream
05-17-2004, 04:11 PM
What is that mileage wise? Is it comperable? Just wondering, cause I'd like to get my behemouth on that part of the river some day but dyin in the process isn't my idear of fun...
Scream <----- keepin it real

summerlove
05-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Scream
What is that mileage wise? Is it comperable? Just wondering, cause I'd like to get my behemouth on that part of the river some day but dyin in the process isn't my idear of fun...
Scream <----- keepin it real
It's 8 miles further, but you don't have to worry about passing, getting stuck behind a long line of cars etc. On one trip, I went left at the Arco in Parker and a suburban like mine went right. As I was passing Desert Center, the subuirban was getting on at the same time. We laughed about it....too much stress

Scream
05-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. It's been a few years since I was South of Parker Dam. Have to make a trip out of it next year, cause this year's booked.