PDA

View Full Version : Wiring?

agood
05-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Does anyone have a diagram for typical wiring on the jet setup? Including the resistor thingy....and a one wire alternator?
Will be doing a complete re-wire soon and need to get what necessary parts.
Thanks

DOHARA
05-17-2004, 09:56 AM
This is the one I used:D
http://www.liquidaddiction.net/wiring.htm
Dano

v-drive
05-17-2004, 11:27 AM
This is also good....v-drive
www.skiboathelp.com/tech/colorcode.html

Special K
05-17-2004, 07:20 PM
OK, probably a dumb question, but...
...what is the diode going to the #1 terminal on the alternator for?
-K-

King Kuracz
05-18-2004, 04:38 AM
I believe that is there to prevent power from the alternator from energizing the ignition system when you turn off the key.
Without it, the engine will keep running off alt. power, even though the key is turned off.
But don't quote me on that.;)

agood
05-18-2004, 05:03 AM
Thanks Guys, These diagrams will help allot.....I understand now that if I have electronic ignition then I don't need the ballast resistor....is that right?

Nubbs
05-18-2004, 08:54 AM
I don't know every single ignition system that exists. But the ballast resistor is generally there to save the points.

King Kuracz
05-18-2004, 09:04 AM
If you have a Mallory Unilite, it does use a ballast. Don't know about others. You should check the info that came with the system, or check with the mfg. to be sure.
Mallory and MSD have info online.

cruser
05-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Ballast resistor is there to limit the voltage applied to the coil when the engine is running and is usually bypassed when you are starting the enging. The resistor is mounted in series with the coil. The bypass makes for a hotter spark when you really need it. Whether or not you need the ballast depends on if the coil you are running can stand full voltage or not.
cruzer

moneysucker
05-18-2004, 09:07 PM
I know the diode from the alternator is so you can turn the motor off. I know this from having to climb into the back and pull the coil wire. Getting header burns and electrocuted makes you learn fast. I only wired one more like that. I am a little slow. I could draw one for a boat with MSD but other than that I wouldn't know how to go. I would be following the diagrams. I re wire mine almost every year. Everything always works just I want things routed differently or I learn a new way for it to look better.

Chris J
05-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Accidently hit submit before finished, be sure to read editted version
Running the alternator with diode after the ignition switch may prevent battery drain and kill the motor with the switch. But if your alternator can put out 50 amps you better have 8 guage wire everywhere or you could have a MAJOR melt down and possible fire. Thats why you should run one heavy wire straight to the battery where your wiring can take the max current available. It can then be fused afterwards for smaller gauge wire. Also the diode will drop .7 vdc which will reduce the output of your alternator. The added voltage is nice for hot ignition systems and the beilge pump in an emergency. Just something to think about.
The power feed from the alt. should be wired to the battery!!! Racing requires a disconnect switch and with a one wire alt. you need a two pole disconnect switch. Its easier to just run a standard alt. and a simple disconnect switch. At least thats how it done in the NHRA.
If you are not going to race just wire the alternator to the load side of the disconnect switch or get one of those quick release battery cables. Half the guys here control water temp in thier motor with a valve, should be able to disconnect the battery when you are done boating.
Personally I wouldn't use either diagram posted. Didn't notice any fuses, but yet they have wire color. Go to Checker and get a $15 fuse block and make BRANCH circuit from your main power feed. Very cheap insurance. To wiring an entire system with a car battery and no fuses on one circuit is just asking for trouble!!!
Possible branch circuits
1) Ignition/Starter
2) Diverter
3) Lights and Gauges
4) Beilge Pump
5) Stereo
6) 12 volt outlet

Moneypitt
05-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Any standard gm integral alt will work as a one wire alt. If you can't turn off your motor your ign is wired wrong.....The large, only wire, coming from the alt, goes thru the amp gauge and to the battery, either at the starter, or straight to the battery. Your ignition switch SHOULD be between the battery and the coil. Turn off the switch and the power to the coil is gone, engine stops! If you are feeding back to the coil with the switch off, you are still exciting the alternator from the "on" position of the ign sw... The 2 wire plug is not used , You don't need that excitement if the "one wire deal" is wired right......Moneypit
PS: I've never looked at any diagrams, just ran the little wire from the big wire and excluded the plug...............