PDA

View Full Version : if you had a choice of drives. $$ is no object

Sherpa
05-18-2004, 06:38 AM
Just curious about outdrives.
you get to pick whatever hull you wanted. you get to pic the
drives you want to run.
what are the best-? (I'm showing my newbieness here)
Isn't a #6 a merc speedmaster unit-?
what about Arneson surface drives-?
Imco-?
what is the best one for high HP.......
thanks,
--Sherpa

HavasuDreamin'
05-18-2004, 06:51 AM

Havasu Hangin'
05-18-2004, 06:52 AM
Depends on the boat...

BADBLOWN572
05-18-2004, 07:02 AM
I would probably go with a #6 outdrive. Can handle 1500 h.p. no problem. I have heard really good things about the Weisman drive, but not that familiar with it. Both of those drives could be used on a pleasure boat. An Arneson has the nickname of a kiddie cutter for a reason. 17" razor sharp prop sticking 4' off of the back of the boat unprotected.

superdave013
05-18-2004, 07:25 AM
I just don't understand how people can build a boat (big HP deal) around a bravo drive knowing they are going to break it or will have to baby it.
Here's my drive. Well that's it before the mounting plate was cut to fit the boat. I think it'll hold up.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9Menkens_V_Drive_backside1-med.jpg

hboldno7
05-18-2004, 07:26 AM
^nice^

Rock-it man
05-18-2004, 07:59 AM
I will let you all know soon about the weisman drive,The #6 is great but the modifications to a datona 26 was just to much to bear to make a #6 work on that small of boat ,just no room for it on a single eng cat ,and the cost is just crazy !!!.Im working with Pat Weisman and will be down there soon he says I wont have to move the motor at all and it will stand up tp 1500+hp .Plan on being on the water in 4 weeks for testing.

BADBLOWN572
05-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Rock-it-Man, I have heard excellent things about the Weisman drive. I looked into one on my boat back when I was building it, but I could not justify the cost. I was extremely impressed with Pat and their design. Good Luck.

Tom Slick
05-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Rock-it man
I will let you all know soon about the weisman drive,The #6 is great but the modifications to a datona 26 was just to much to bear to make a #6 work on that small of boat ,just no room for it on a single eng cat ,and the cost is just crazy !!!.Im working with Pat Weisman and will be down there soon he says I wont have to move the motor at all and it will stand up tp 1500+hp .Plan on being on the water in 4 weeks for testing.
Hey Rock-it man,
Keep us updated on the Weisman project. I'm very curious how it works out for you!:)