PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Daycrusier Jet Video

yates9
05-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Heres some video from the weekend at Canyon Lake:
Turbine engine start (http://members.cox.net/shadesale/start1l.WMV)
Goofing around (http://members.cox.net/shadesale/canyon%20lake%20boat2l.WMV)
Its going to be for sale soon, contact me if anyone's interested
Yates...
yates9@cox.net

jackpunx
05-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Dude,
that thing is dope:D

yates9
05-18-2004, 07:41 PM
We'll be boating in California this comming weekend. Elsinore, Perris, or maybe somewhere further. Perhaps we'll see some of you guys out there!
Yates...

Taylorman
05-18-2004, 08:18 PM
How many rpms does that turn. I worked on F15's in the air force and i know that turbines turn high rpms, however, i have never heard of on in a boat turning really fast.

adsala
05-18-2004, 09:05 PM
That's one hot boat!

yates9
05-19-2004, 09:32 AM
The output shaft at full speed is at 6000 RPMs. The turbines turn at different speeds, depending on which turbine. The engine has 6 axial compressors, 1 titanium radial impeller, 2 gas generator turbines, and 2 Power turbines. RPM ranges between 33000 RPM at idle and 55000 at full power. An intergal gearbox handles all the gear reduction.

red rocker fan
05-19-2004, 02:56 PM
How fast will the boat run an what kind of fuel do you run?

Sleek-Jet
05-19-2004, 03:22 PM
That's to freakin cool.
Of course I don't know about wearing NR headsets and intercoms at the lake, but it's still pretty cool.
Is that an Allison, Garrett, P&W???

yates9
05-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Heres a link to some information I put on another post:
Turbine jet boat info (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44845&highlight=turbine)
For those that have rode with me, if they don't want to wear headsets, that is completely their choice!
Yates...

WriedtStuff
05-20-2004, 07:04 AM
I am interested...if the price is right....How much?

Taylorman
05-20-2004, 07:11 AM
You need to change the gear ratio to about 10000 rpms on the output shaft.

yates9
05-22-2004, 08:13 AM
How do you figure 10000 RPM? Thats a lot of RPM's on an Jet pump impeller. Also takes alot of horspower to turn impellers at 10000 RPM. Unless it's an Jet ski impeller!
Yates...

Infomaniac
05-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Didn't Bill Nye build a turbine day cruiser? Alum boat I think.

78Southwind
05-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Yates was that you in the speed zone at Elsinore on Sat.

yates9
06-02-2004, 10:21 AM
We were in Elsinore over that weekend. This comming weekend, we'll be heading out to Havasu for the OP6C. See you guys out there!

Some Kind Of Monster
06-02-2004, 10:23 AM
How do you figure 6000 RPM is where it should be geared to? I'm kinda windering the same thing as Taylorman.. You would lose the holeshot, but noone would catch you in top end!!

Squirtcha?
06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Didn't Bill Nye build a turbine day cruiser? Alum boat I think.
He built two of em actually. One semi-V and one tunnelhull.
Ya got her going Yates. Nice job. I'm saving your vidi's now. Anxious to check em out.
Wonder what the California noise cops will think of that one!

yates9
06-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Its actually not that noisy, unless your in close range (less than 10 feet). The sound of the engine is directional, meaning it changes in intensity depending on which direction the boat is facing you. It is way quieter than my previous 18' boat, with 454 when under power. The sound is quite unique on the water. In fact, we have been noticing that most people can't hear us comming torwards them, but they sure whip their heads around and hear us well once we get beside them or in front of them.
As for speed. 6000 RPM at 100% N2 is the engine's built in gearbox design speed gear ratio. There are no means to change that practically. If it was my choice, I would rather have output shaft in the 4500-5000 RPM range. I didn't quite understand the inquiry on going up to 10,000 though as that seems excessive. Anyone know how much HP it takes to turn an Say "A" impeller to 10,000 RPM in water?? LOL I wonder if these impellers would even hold up. The bowl vane angles would not match the impeller swirl at those tip velocities, and loss of efficency would result ontop of increased surface friction losses. At 6000 RPM, I'm already seeing the degreadation in efficency. Thats why there are variable stator vanes on efficent axial turbines, to match the vane angle to the incoming gas / fluid swirl angles.
If you see me out there Squirta, give me a hollar. I'll give ya an tour of our boat.
Lately I've been preparing to start on the next turbine boat project. An turbine powered ATV also. I've got three more turbine engines sitting around.
Yates...

Squirtcha?
06-03-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by yates9
If you see me out there Squirtcha, give me a hollar. I'll give ya an tour of our boat.
Yates...
That'd be great. I'd like to check it out up close n personal.

Rampager
06-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Unless you really mean Bill Nye the science guy I think you mean Mark Nye. He did build a turbine boat similar to the one shown here called Squirt 1 which he sold to someone in the US. Squirt 2 which he still has is an aluminum Eagle hull, but it is not a tunnel. The first ran an allison and the 2nd runs a t-58. I've been in Squirt 2, veeeery cool boat and quite fast. I can tell you without question ear protection in Squirt 2 is totally necessary.
Mark makes alot of parts and bits to do this swap. If anyone is curious nye.ca has all the info and lots of pics.
Here's a few of me the day I got a spin....
Cheers

Rampager
06-03-2004, 06:27 AM
another......

Rampager
06-03-2004, 06:30 AM
you can't help but feel like a toughguy in those helmets...

Rampager
06-03-2004, 06:33 AM
last one...

Squirtcha?
06-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Pardon the faux pas. I missed that Mark/Bill thing completely. I thought the second one he built, was based on the 21' Eagle step tunnel? In looking at the photos, it appears he wouldn't have room for the motor if it were a tunnelhull. Oh well, nudder mistake. That's two and my personal limit for the day. :frown:

yates9
06-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Mark nye is up in Canada. He has cool videos of turbocharger conversions to turbojets, as well as videos on squirt 1 / 2.

Rampager
06-03-2004, 07:56 AM
NP Squirtcha,
the "v bottoms" and tunnels look nearly identical from the top. The hull is actually what they call a Step Tec which has a slightly different profile than a 'normal' v bottom. He had a custom length made which is I believe stretched out to 23 feet. The tunnels are 21' and the standard step tecs are 16' and 19'
I've been reading up quite a bit about these hulls and "beer can boating" in general. To me it just seems like the way to go, especially with the performance that they seem to achieve even running with rock grates. That may give you a hint as to whats due on my trailer sometime soon ;)
As far as I know, and I am no expert, the tunnels and step tecs wouldn't be so different to limit space req'd for a certain engine. Besides that T-58 isn't very big anyway(tall/wide) its just long and you can't side beside it or the afterburner would cook ya!
(last I talked to Mark he had rerigged the afterburner so he could pop it while running, not just while idling like before,THAT I gotta see!)
I want another ride in that thing!
:D

Dan Lorenze
07-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Pretty cool videos of Nye's...
http://www.gas-turbines.com/squirt_2.htm#videos