PDA

View Full Version : Wth ?????

Her454
05-18-2004, 10:58 AM
I've seen crap like this posted before but never really paid attention. Whats the deal with these scammers? This was in my email today......
:rolleyes:
Traci,
Hello,In regards to your advert on Dragboats,I\'m willing to make an offer.Pls,I\'ll want you to tell me its present condition.What\'s your last price? I\'ll pay you in a Cashiers Check withdrawn from a US bank,I\'ll be handling the shipment,Mary Smith,from Holland
This email is in regards to the following ad:
1986 Cheyenne Hydro. \"Neurotic Behaviour\" was featured in ***boat Magazine Sept 03\'. Boat has been on water less than 10 times since new. Everything less motor/prop. Polished motor plates/bell housing/drive line cvr/10 deg Casale box w/whirlaway & 35gears. 1 1/8\" prop shaft. Beautiful paint, floor and hardware. Polished outboard steering and custom trailer. This boat is exceptionally clean. $9500.00 Traci

shockwaveharry
05-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Tell "Mary Smith" from Holland that the boats in excellent condition just as advertised, your bottom line is $9500.00 and she can make shipping arrangements 3 buisness days after you receive the cashiers check she Fed-Ex's you. You could ask your bank to verify that the cashiers check is being used for it's intended purpose, i.e. not stolen somehow.
The scams I've heard of envolve wire transfers or direct deposits after you supply your bank acct # and other personal info. If you end up with cash in hand before the sale, how can you go wrong?
I sold a supercharger to a guy in Australia once.

Pointerman
05-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Actually the current scammers are using fake cashiers checks, so just tell him to pound sand.

CrazyHippy
05-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Tell them you are not willing to sell it without them inspecting the boat in person 1st. Plane tickets are cheap.
BJH

Cole Sanger
05-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Can't you just tell the person that you will have to wait for the check to clear before shipment? Tell them like two weeks. If they really want it, and it does clear, it should be no problem. I always wait for the check to clear before I send something. Even when it's my friends and family for that matter.

RiverToysJas
05-18-2004, 12:18 PM
I got a rather strange phone call from someone "overseas" the other day, asking what websites would be best to find jetboats for sale.
I got a strange vibe off the guy....
I said to use boattraderonline.com. He said knew of that one, but wanted one with more boats. I told him that they currently are listing 114,000+ total boats, and wouldn't find a website with more than that, but he could try boatxchange.com. I definately thought he was strange though. I didn't ask what country he was from.
RTJas

Laveyman
05-18-2004, 12:23 PM
SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!! They tried this same crap with me last year when selling a classic car from my dad's estate. They will send you a cashier's check from a US bank for the full amount of your sale, plus a few grand for shipping. Unfortunately, the checks are forged. I took the check they FedEx'd to me right to the local B of A branch. They said it was the tird one they've seen in that many weeks. Pass on this one. Even if you try to blow them off, they keep coming back with the same type of scam, just different names and situations.

HCS
05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
I tried to buy a boat with a phony cashiers check once. The
person I sent the check to didn't fall for it either. Damn, I
thought it was a good idea.:rolleyes:

HighRoller
05-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Two words:WIRE TRANSFER! Never, never, never take a cashier's check from someone you don't know unless you personally go with them to their bank ranch and witness them have it drawn on their account. Today's banking procedures are such that if you get a counterfeit check you won't find out until weeks later when the money is taken back out of your account. Of course by then your merchandise is gone. And obviously never do business with someone wanting to give you more than the sale amount in a cashier's check. A guaranteed scam.