PDA

View Full Version : oil pump wont spin.

victorfb
05-18-2004, 04:24 PM
im sure there has got to be something ive done wrong here. i detailed my oil pump on the gen 6 502 and everything was looking good. i filled it with oil and installed the new pump shaft with steel sleeve. bolted it on and finished the rest of the motor build. but when i just tried to install my distributer i could not spin the oil pump shaft. i even tried to put a set of channel locks on the primer tool and even with (some) force it wouldnt budge. any ideas of what i could have done wrong? is the steel sleeved pump shaft the same on a mark 4 block as to a gen 6 ? the guy told me the mark 4 shaft is all they sell and is the correct one. this totally sucks. as i allready installed the motor into the hull. i mean its not the hardest motor to get out as opposed to a car/truck, but still sucks to have to redo it all again.

Rexone
05-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Victor I haven't built any gen 6 stuff but ARP app chart says the Oil pump drive shafts are the same for all bb chevys. I just double checked their website to make sure. There are really only a couple possibilities here.
Either the drive shaft isn't seated in the pump properly or is wedged against the block preventing it from turning
or
the pump is set up too tight and binding up or there is some type of foreign object in the pump preventing it from turning. I'm sure you primed the pump and turned it before installing so I really would discount that as a possibility.
Are you sure the drive shaft it set down on the pump shaft tang properly?
I'm hoping the ARP info is correct and it doesn't take a different shaft.
Just throwing ideas out there for you. Call or email if I can help.

Infomaniac
05-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Drive shaft probalby did not mate with the oil pump good before tightening down the pump. Bound when you tightened the pump down.
Like Rexone said.
If it makes you feel better. Many years back I installed my engine in my boat and went to prime the system. The tool would not even engage the drive shaft. The guy at the machine shop had given me a hardened drive shaft they had lying around. It was for a small block so a bit too short.

victorfb
05-18-2004, 06:19 PM
i have a feeling you guys are right about the shaft and pump not engaging correctly. i installed the pump while the engine was upside down on the stand which allows the pump shaft to hang in the block. i should have reached underneath and used the primer tool to engage the two shafts, and turn the pump while i tighten the pump bolt. i guess i just figured the steel sleeve would have self alighned the shafts sort of speak. i sure feel like an idiot. i just hope i didnt screw anything up by my mystake. i knew i would do something like this when rushing to get it done for the FCE. im just glad i decided not to continue the rushing and double check everything now. this was done when i was still trying to make the event. lesson learned.
yes mike, i did prime the pump and it spun fine before i tightened it down.
i matched up the stock shaft with a gen 5 shaft i have, and they are the same. i dont have a mark 4 shaft to compare to, but im betting you and ARP are correct, and that it is just my incorrect installation.
thanks for the help guys.
oh, and just so you know. i will lift the motor and drop the pan. im not going to try and break it free and hope for the best. ( i know thats what some of you were thinking...:p :p :p ) thanks GM for coming out with the reuseable one piece pan gasket.:D

FlatRat
05-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Sounds like you did the smart thing and reef didn't on it when you found you had a problem.Better safe than sorry.

victorfb
05-19-2004, 06:50 PM
she's a spinnin. lifted the motor and dropped the pan. loosened up the oil pump and let it drop a bit, i stuck the primer tool in and gave it a twist, woohooo!!! the shft droped onto the oil pump and turned freely. re-torqued the oil pump bolt and rechecked it. still spinnin freely. i got it all back together and the motor bolted back into the boat. back to were i was a couple days ago, but atleast i got the problem fixed. and on a side note: i noticed the pan was very close to the pump intake bolts so i ground them down a bit and peened the nut to the bolt. i have about 1/4" now. atleast there was a plus to this madness.

Rexone
05-19-2004, 08:52 PM
one thing for sure you never forget and make these errrors again when you have to pull a motor to fix.
Glad it was nothing serious Victor

victorfb
05-19-2004, 11:22 PM
thanks mike. and your right, i dought if i ever do that again. im just glad i caught it so soon. would have been a bummer if the engine was all plumbed and rigged. just more stuff to redo. but it all worked out well and im back to gaining progress. :D